IGNORED

Dillards 44: Still Pretending to Missionary to College Students

Coconut Flan

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

@SassyPants yes, I think you are right and sweet JillieMuffin is defrauding us all. 

I mean if the coat was meant to take the place of Jill's usual skirt length, it would be dragging on the floor.

But it was a quick transition:

1) Skirt above the knee in the Fall family photos

2) Jeggings

I don't think DD hit the cat, but was steering towards it while laughing, which was bad enough, IMO.

Well it appears Derick has Jill and the Bates family on his side. (And apparently 19,370 leg jumpers.)

ETA: oh and his mom of course :pb_lol:

99D1F4F9-198B-4584-980F-36D4F3333A6E.jpeg

I know that in OUR grande scheme of things, wearing pants means nothing, but I think it could indicate a positive change for those young women. Just think how much easier it is to chase after little ones, scrub the floor, ride a  bike, clean the tub, play with the kids, while wearing pants, vs a long skirt. Go ladies!

1 hour ago, albanuadh_1 said:

I'm sure someone will correct me but I thought Free Speech, like Freedom of the Press, had to do with making remarks against Government/ Monarchy and not being punished/ banished/ incarcerated? ( unless it was a pack of lies).  Freedom of Expression likewise.

I'm not sure it has anything to do with mouthing off about anything that pops in your head.

That is correct.

The first ten amendments of the US Constitution are known as the Bill of Rights. In the preamble to the BOR, it states that “Congress shall make no law....” - meaning that the amendments that follow grant protections to the people against the Government specifically. So, for instance, the first amendment grants protections to the public regarding freedom of the press and freedom of religion against government interference on either. What that means is that the US Constitution protects everyone's right to worship (or not worship) as they see fit and it protects the right of the press to criticize the Government. 

But there are limits, as you said. It does not mean that you can say whatever you want without facing consequences from non-Governmental entities. For instance, a private citizen can’t yell fire in a crowded room when there is no fire and expect not to get into trouble for it (because they’d be creating a potentially dangerous situation.) Derick’s tweets obviously brought too much negative press to TLC for them to tolerate it. The fact that he targeted a fellow TLC star (“employee”) and a minor at that likely made the decision relatively easy. 

If TLC petitioned the government to outlaw the type of things he’s saying or petitioned them to pass a law banning him specifically from Twitter, then he’d likely have a valid point that they’re trying to violate his first amendment rights.  As is though? His fans are either woefully uneducated about the BORs or they’re purposely misconstruing the meaning of it to fit their agenda.

I know Derick's tweets have been discussed ad nauseam, but even if you imagine, for a moment, that you agree with his views of transgendered persons, his tweets are problematic.  

One thing Jim Bob and Michelle work hard at is the control of information.  They use lots of weasel-words and phrase their answers to questions to avoid controversy.  There's no way JB and Michelle would ever have publicly said anything as straightforwardly inflammatory Derick has.  Unless Derick was truly trying to burn bridges with TLC, he's been incredibly stupid.  That's why I imagine Jim Bob might be unhappy.  Derick damaged the brand unnecessarily, even if I imagine JB agrees with his views.  

It would have been easy for Derick to write something passive-aggressive without outright naming an individual, particularly a child.  It would've been easy for Derick to avoid controversy by writing hateful things about transgendered people generally, without biting the TLC hand by naming a fellow "star."  I think TLC would've ignored it (hell, they're fine with incestuous child sex assault).  But he's dumb and impulsive and that's why he's been fired.  

4 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

I know Derick's tweets have been discussed ad nauseam, but even if you imagine, for a moment, that you agree with his views of transgendered persons, his tweets are problem.  

One thing Jim Bob and Michelle work hard at is the control of information.  They use lots of weasel-words and phrase their answers to questions to avoid controversy.  There's no way JB and Michelle would ever have publicly said anything as straightforwardly inflammatory Derick has.  Unless Derick was truly trying to burn bridges with TLC, he's been incredibly stupid.  That's why I imagine Jim Bob might be unhappy.  Derick damaged the brand unnecessarily, even if I imagine JB agrees with his views.  

It would have been easy for Derick to write something passive-aggressive without outright naming an individual, particularly a child.  It would've been easy for Derick to avoid controversy by writing hateful things about transgendered people generally, without biting the TLC hand by naming a fellow "star."  I think TLC would've ignored it (hell, they're fine with incestuous child sex assault).  But he's dumb and impulsive and that's why he's been fired.  

I agree. I would like to point out that the correct term is “Transgender people” not “Transgendered” though. The -ed ending implies that a choice is involved in being Transgender when there isn’t. The LGBTQIA community avoids using the term for that reason. :) 

Jill is the very last Duggar I ever expected to see wearing pants in public. Well, behind Michelle. 

A new new era of fundie is a comin’. Maybe taking a clue from the Bates playbook about #fundienotfundie?

ETA- I know this would never happen in a million years, but I would love to see Jill get her RN or BSN and go work on a labor/delivery unit or at a legitimate birthing center. It’s unfortunate that she was only able to get the Gothard approved midwife certification, because I think she’d make a killer midwife or mother/baby nurse. 

22 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

I know Derick's tweets have been discussed ad nauseam, but even if you imagine, for a moment, that you agree with his views of transgendered persons, his tweets are problem.  

I agree. For as much as JB plays the bumbling idiot, where business and brand are concerned, I don't think he's stupid. What he and Michelle showed the public we're "quirks" - skirts only, buy used save the difference, eleventy million kids - all relatively harmless to the general public. I don't think he would ever publicly state what Derrick has. 

11 minutes ago, bluelady said:

I don't think he would ever publicly state what Derrick has.

Agree, at least in this context - to the general public on twitter and directly attacking a young girl. Within their fundie circles and at conservative events, I have no doubt he says much more inflammatory things. The furthest they ever went in this way (that I can recall?) is the day the supreme court ruling came out on gay/lesbian marriage. They  posted something like 'praying for our nation today' with a meme about sin. And that day was basically the apocalypse for conservative christians. JB is definitely much more tactful in that regard at least.

1 hour ago, Seculardaisy said:

Well it appears Derick has Jill and the Bates family on his side. (And apparently 19,370 leg jumpers.)

ETA: oh and his mom of course :pb_lol:

"My mom thinks I'm cool."

I think we will see more and more of this type of behavior as the Duggar Kids start marrying and getting their own social media.  JB & M didn't grow up fundie- so they have a frame of reference for what is the accepted social norms.  The Duggar kids have grown up in a fish bowl and can't fathom how what they espouse could be hateful because they do it in a soft spoken voice with a smile upon their face.  

59 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

Michelle went very public with her robo calls in her attempt to promote a bathroom bill in Fayetteville.  This was, I believe, right before the Josh scandal when public which made her calls even more repulsive.

19 minutes ago, TXGirlInAMaterialWorld said:

JB & M didn't grow up fundie- so they have a frame of reference for what is the accepted social norms.  The Duggar kids have grown up in a fish bowl and can't fathom how what they espouse could be hateful because they do it in a soft spoken voice with a smile upon their face.  

Except Derick didn't. He might have grown up conservative christian, but he went to public school and a public university. ETA - however, I will admit that as we as a society group off into our own bubbles, I am constantly surprising myself (both on social media and in real life) how easy it is to become insular and only expose oneself to similar beliefs. For example, I personally am shocked that people like Derick exist - I honestly don't have one friend who isn't totally supportive of the LGBT community.

Curious to see the direction the show takes as to whether it'll acknowledge that Derick is not going to be on air, at least for now. I kind of don't think they'll do anything to make it explicit, as others have said there's an expanding cast of characters on this show with each kid getting married and having more of a storyline than just screwing around at the TTH and bringing a spouse into the picture. Derick and Jill have seemed to be the least put-together and least TV friendly for a while... They're frumpy, Derick is the most open about the prickly side of fundie beliefs, etc. Jessa and Ben are personable and Jeremy and Jinger have his flashiness and her "I'm doing something different by being in Texas and wearing pants!" life. Joy/Austin and Joe/Kendra are young, cute, and new, and while I don't know what storyline they'll do for JoKen they can at least do some house flipping episodes with JoSten.  I feel like they'll just quietly move on from Derick and maybe even mostly from Jill too in favor of the new fresh faces and the more personable already-married Sister Moms. 

12 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Michelle went very public with her robo calls in her attempt to promote a bathroom bill in Fayetteville.  This was, I believe, right before the Josh scandal when public which made her calls even more repulsive.

I was going to mention the robocalls.  They were gross, but less inflammatory, IMO.  They didn't directly target a person.   It was just gross boogeyman scaremongering.  They haven't said anything so public since, and I think they've become more concerned about PR since Joshgate - I imagine it was scary when they almost lost the TLC gravy train. 

16 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

They were gross, but less inflammatory, IMO.  They didn't directly target a person. 

This. 

I have a lot of Christians on my social media ranging from the very conservative to the not at all conservative. 

I've seen the Oh my gosh clutch the pearls posts about how terrible gender neutral washrooms or allowing transgendered people to use the washroom of the gender they identify with (I hope I said that right?) 

And tbh they bother me and I roll my eyes and comment (when I can) about how logically this is not the end of the world. BUT I also accept that these are these people's (bigoted) deeply held beliefs and that I won't be able to change them so I carry on. 

The difference in my mind is that Derrick deliberately and knowingly targeted a minor. 

Not just deliberately and knowingly targeted and individual but a minor. That to me is what crossed the line between run of the mill (transphobic) Christian beliefs and not appropriate comments. 

There is in my mind a subtle but important difference between advertising your beliefs and singling out a minor. 

There's a line, he crossed it. 

12 hours ago, llg1234 said:

Derick's newest Instagram post. OFC, he's posting a quote from one of those Duck Dynasty dudes. :TrainWreckMotion:

He liked this  tweet earlier, so I'm guessing that's where he got the image from 

Hide contents

Gross. Gun obsessed hillbillies. Just gross. 

Seriously that tweet. You cannot ask of someone to accept your rights, while your rights consist of refusing to give that person the same basic human rights that you enjoy (sorry English is not my first language).

Gay marriage for example.

20 minutes ago, Timetraveler said:

You cannot ask of someone to accept your rights, while your rights consist of refusing to give that person the same basic human rights that you enjoy (sorry English is not my first language).

Exactly. They believe that they have the right to deny other people their rights, all in the name of religious freedom. (ps - your english is great. :) )

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I know that in OUR grande scheme of things, wearing pants means nothing, but I think it could indicate a positive change for those young women. Just think how much easier it is to chase after little ones, scrub the floor, ride a  bike, clean the tub, play with the kids, while wearing pants, vs a long skirt. Go ladies!

Not to mention the practical side. It looks like it was a bit on the cool side there at Silver Dollar City by the coats and the way the others were dressed.  It's just plain warmer to have on pants in colder weather! I love wearing dresses and skirts to work and in the summer, but geez! you can get some mighty cold breezes up the skirt during the late fall, winter, early spring.  She has probably been cold down there for years! LOL  :wtsf:

10 minutes ago, SongRed7 said:

Not to mention the practical side. It looks like it was a bit on the cool side there at Silver Dollar City by the coats and the way the others were dressed.  It's just plain warmer to have on pants in colder weather! I love wearing dresses and skirts to work and in the summer, but geez! you can get some mighty cold breezes up the skirt during the late fall, early winter.  She has probably been cold for years! LOL  :wtsf:

Not to mention having pockets. I hate dragging around a purse all the time, and sometimes I don't need a jacket, and if I'm wearing a skirt or dress, no pocket. Although, these ladies probably always carry a diaper bag.

On 11/9/2017 at 7:41 PM, Georgiana said:

I don't think half of these fundie men GENUINELY feel called by God to missionary work.  I think the only GENUINE calling they feel is their own laziness calling them away from working a real job.  

One of the dangers of Patriarchy is that it can go to a man's head and make him feel too personally special to work hard.  Derick is TOO SPECIAL to humble himself to work a normal 9-5.  First he was just God's Gift to Jilly Muffin, but why stop there?  No.  He is GOD'S GIFT TO THE WORLD.  And God doesn't want him to WORK! NO!  GOD WANTS HIM TO WRITE HATEFUL TWEETS ALL DAY.  ....or is that just what Derick wants to do?  Nope, he's a man, so obviously ALL of his instincts are DIVINELY inspired.

What Derick needs is a swift kick in the seat and someone to tell him: "You're NOT as special as you think you are.  Frankly, in the grand scheme of things, you are DECIDEDLY below average.  Every single person I work with displays more intelligence, sense, and tact in a single day than you displayed ALL LAST YEAR.  You kind of suck right now.  Almost literally, because you are a LEECH.  So get off your high horse, get a damn job just like everyone else, and try to be better.  Because you are NOT better than them.  You are worse." 

I don't really want to defend Derrick and I'm not even sure it applies because Derrick wasn't brought up the same brand of fundie as IFBx or IBLP (I'd argue more conservative evangelical), but we were brought up to think that we were going to save the world. Recovering Grace addressed this in http://www.recoveringgrace.org/2013/03/why-be-a-world-changer/ . "Being in my 30s now, I’ve seen what happened to my generation when we tried to lift ourselves to that call. I also saw what happened to the generation slightly younger than myself (those roughly 5 to 6 years younger). Very often this pursuit of significance turns into depression or an identity crisis. Very often one doesn’t even know why they are depressed or going through a “midlife crisis” in their 30s. Though some of my friends have worked it out, from listening to many of their stories it seems to me that the thought that we were supposed to be world changers played a big part in their emotional crisis. We were groomed to make a huge impact. And even after we rejected ATI and its teachings, the compelling need to do something more significant than the average Joe wouldn’t let go of us, and so it drove us into disappointment with our less-than-perfect outcomes."

We went forward to the altar at every service. We gave up everything, things that the strictest person would not even think were bad, that might possibly be an idol in our lives. We surrendered to full-time Christian ministry, whether we were called or not because we were told that God takes volunteers. And so many of us become disillusioned as we entered our late twenties and early thirties. We were told that we could change the world. We were told that if we only followed all the rules and were yielded to God, we would do great things for God. And when we didn’t become the pastor of a mega-church or get called to be a suffering missionary in deepest, darkest Africa, we felt betrayed. 

I don't think that Derick quit his job because he is lazy. He's waiting to do something BIG as he's been told would happen if he is just ready and willing.

What we missed is that sometimes all God wants is someone to represent Him in just regular everyday life. But no one ever talked about those people. They were losers who had a career and made money rather than "doing something great for God."

On 11/12/2017 at 9:20 AM, ViolaSebastian said:

<snip>I remember that she said she was in love with him before they even met, which suggests to me she was more in love with the *idea* of him. <snip>

Maybe, but I met my hubby online many years ago now and I loved him before I met him in person.    Lots of emails, chats and phone calls ...

@nolongerIFBx, thank you.  I think this is an incredible insight into what might be going on with Derick.  

It's understandable on a human level for him to be going through an internal crisis, but at the same time, he gave up his right to have a non-salaried life crisis when he married Jill and immediately created Izzy (and now Sam too).  I mean, I would have LOVED to just jaunt off to Nepal to go "find myself" during my quarter-life crisis, but I had a mortgage to pay so I didn't.  

Derick is just selfish.  That's really the root of it.  He's a terribly selfish human behind who honestly may have done better with a stronger partner who could be more independent while keeping him in line.  

(I meant to write "human being" there, but I think my typo works better)

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived