IGNORED

Jinder's Dresses: A Very Subjective Rundown/Review of all Duggar Wedding Gowns

Jinder Roles

5 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

My mom wore a white cocktail suit and a pillbox hat with a veil for her wedding. She gave the hat to me and my sister for dress-up (we destroyed that thing from wearing it so much over the years), and kept the suit in her closet. I'm not sure if she still has it; it's not really my style so I wouldn't wear it (plus I'm significantly smaller than my mom was, even pre-kids -- she has a good five inches on me), so maybe it will remain as a memento, or I'll ask if I could incorporate some of the fabric into my dress if/when I get marries. 

My friend's mom wore the same thing; my friend wore her mom's suit to her own rehearsal dinner. It was a sweet nod to her mom (although they were the same height). But friend wore the big poofy bow-and-pearl encrusted 80s wedding dress. :)

My first wedding dress was also the 80s poofy, bow-y, pearl-y, long-train-y thing. Had a giant bow on the ass, too, yep.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/9/2018 at 5:22 AM, L1o2u3 said:

If I get married, my boyfriend will probably hate my dress :D 

I love 80/90s wedding dresses... with bows and those sleeves and everyting. This is my dream wedding dress: 

Hide contents

887122827c95878ef78d6bb738e4f287.jpg

That one is very similar to my wedding dress (from my first wedding :my_blush:).  It was a Laura Ashley dress with a lovely, sort of toile like fabric.  The sleeves were shorter on mine, but basically the same dress.  I thought it was lovely, even if the marriage didn't last! (This was 1990, by the way.)

Edited by Satan'sFortress
added date
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

My first wedding dress was also the 80s poofy, bow-y, pearl-y, long-train-y thing. Had a giant bow on the ass, too, yep.

Yep...so was mine. Funny thing is I still have it, though I divorced the practice husband decades ago. Tried to get rid of it 10 years ago when my parents moved out of their house but current husband of 25 years wouldn't let me. He says one of our daughters might want to wear it! Yep...no fashion sense.

• Haha 2

My mum wore a very plain wedding dress, and mine too was very simple.  But she wore a beautiful veil, and I was so happy she kept it.  I wore it on my wedding day, and my daughter, 21, has said that if she gets married she’d like to wear it as well.  My parents have been married 55 years.  We’ve been married 25.  I think it’d be lovely for that veil to be worn by a third generation.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 7

On 4/11/2018 at 1:38 AM, SweetJuly said:

Going through some old documents at my parents' place, I recently came across a hand-drawn list of wishes for my 4th birthday. My father had added an explanation in writing based on my comments, I assume, as the drawings were as clear and accurate as the ones of a 3-year-old can be.

No. 1 on my wish list was "A wedding dress for children" :D  Clearly my obsession started early!

I took the list and went to my parents to complain that I never received such a dress during all my childhood. My parents replied that no such thing exists, but I pointed to the dresses my Catholic friends would wear for their first communion and some flower girl dresses that are as elaborate as an adult wedding dress.

I have now made the decision to buy my daughter "a wedding dress for children" should she ever utter such a wish to spare her the suffering and trauma I had to go through ;) 

I had a child wedding dress when I was little, but it came on a life sized barbie doll. It was weird that I had it because I wasn't too in to stereotypically "girly" things (my train collection was my pride and joy), but I've always liked wedding dresses, and actually bought three different dresses as options before I got married because I couldn't decide! 

Spoiler

fullsizeoutput_5.thumb.jpeg.ec337767515d986ea9b507bef9608c5d.jpeg

But I ended up with a dress I loved and a wonderful husband I love more :) 

Spoiler

IMG_0130.JPG.544c6b42cb97e00e23d0864450c5fcb2.JPG

• Upvote 17
  • Love 5

6 minutes ago, Runningfromreality said:

I had a child wedding dress when I was little, but it came on a life sized barbie doll. It was weird that I had it because I wasn't too in to stereotypically "girly" things (my train collection was my pride and joy), but I've always liked wedding dresses, and actually bought three different dresses as options before I got married because I couldn't decide! 

Hide contents

fullsizeoutput_5.thumb.jpeg.ec337767515d986ea9b507bef9608c5d.jpeg

But I ended up with a dress I loved and a wonderful husband I love more :) 

Hide contents

I went as a bride for Halloween once. My grandma took an old wedding dress. (my moms maybe) and scaled it down for me. 

• Upvote 3

@Runningfromreality Oh yes, I remember something about a life-sized barbie with a wedding dress! Maybe that was one of the things that inspired me. So happy for yet jealous of you :D

@Ivycoveredtower That's so kind of your mother to let you use her dress :)My mother too later allowed me to wear her wedding dress for when I was playing to be a princess. It was disappointing, though. Although my parents got married in the 80s, her dress was rather simple (and lovely, I have to admit nowadays). More Edwardian than 80s-Princess Diana-wedding-atrocity. You can imagine that as a child growing up in the late 80s/early 90s, I thought this was a pathetically sad dress and dreamed of a giant puffy fluffy meringue instead.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

The worst dress I saw my mum in was where she was a bridesmaid in 1990 to her (incredible) best friend. Her dress was a mixture of milkmaid chic and curtains... with the bow on the bum. Plus their hair was all curled up to the heavens (not an issue for Mum, she has thick, wiry, curly hair that grows upwards anyway). Mum’s wedding dress was pretty early 90s, but less meringue than others I’ve seen - the shoulders could have killed somebody though! I’m hoping to use a lace panel for my own dress.

I want something more like this but I really don’t like the low/illusion back trend at the moment. I’d rather it be completely covered. I like this less but think it has a full back, so I’d probably pick it over my princess dress. I also don’t want strapless. I’m picky. 

• Upvote 4

My list for the Duggar Wedding Gowns

#1 gown goes to Jessa

Jessa's dress was the original wow factor. Long before Renee made Duggar wedding gowns top the style watch lists,  Jessa picked this blushing princess bride look on her own. Like her personality, the wedding was modestly stated with a power punch.  Her choices were smart, coordinated and beautiful. Yes she gets deductions for torturing her bridesmaids in both look and comfort, but she makes up for it with her overall creative eye.  She did the best with the least. She most likely will stay at the very top of the Duggar dress list for me.

Spoiler

Bridesmaids Rank: #7

Bouquet Rank: #5

Overall Rank: #3

#2 gown goes to Jinger

She ushered in the modern age of fundy wedding dresses, put Renee's boutique on the map and just blew my mind away. Almost every aspect of her wedding was wonderfully sophisticated, well thought out and meant to stun. I especially appreciated the diversity in her bridal party. And the multi-colored bridesmaid theme? How artistic! Ms. Cindy also showed out with that beautiful flower V. Girl, yes. Go Jinge!         

Spoiler

Bridesmaids Rank: #1 

Bouquet Rank: #3

Overall Rank: #1

#3 gown goes to Jilly Muffin

I loved the faux lace fabric, a-mermaid cut and the slight eggshell coloring. Her gown was high on the modest list but still showed a certain sensuality that I believe a bride reserves the right to dislay on the day she formally commits to her partner. I also found her color scheme refreshing. Jill is so wild. LoL I loved her post wedding enthusium. And bonus, she sucked wedding cake off Derick's finger. :my_confused: Rofl.             

Spoiler

Bridesmaids Rank: #4

Bouquet Rank: #4

Overall Rank: #4

#4 dress goes to Kendra

She seemed to have a keen eye for *her* gown when the other dresses she tried on were almost exact in appearance. This was definitely The Kendra, speaking both to her dazzling personality and bubbly countenance. Loved the beaded top, but Jessa did it first causing Kendra to fall in the middle of the gown list, but near the top of the overall.

Spoiler

Bridesmaids Rank: #3

Bouquet Rank: #7

Overall Rank: #2

#5 gown goes to Anna

Anna gets major points for having a complimentary veil considering her dress had to be plain and something borrowed. But the knock out for me was Anna's bouquet. Beautiful! I love a tear drop spray. Anna knew her dress was lacking so she made up her style in accessories. Excellent budget move and good for her!  

Spoiler

Bridesmaids Rank: #6

Bouquet Rank: #1 

Overall Rank: #5

#6 gown goes to Amy

Her dress was rather common considering she did not have the same limitations as her cousins. She makes up in the gorgeous color scheme and the style her bridesmaids golden form fitted dressed. Kudos for the gold band around her waist, giving her dress a much needed boost. I love a bride who isn't afraid to have her girls look fabulous. She knows its her day even if her bridesmaids look great.

Spoiler

Bridesmaids Rank: #2

Bouquet Rank: #2

Overall Rank: #6

#7 gown goes to Joy Anna

I struggled with Joy's dress. I think it has grown on me some but not enough to bump her up on the list. I did appreciate her having both Michelle, grandmom and Jill incorporated in her gown. That was touching.

Spoiler

Bridesmaids Rank: #5

Bouquet Rank: #6

Overall Rank: #7

• Upvote 5

9 minutes ago, TatiFish9 said:

My list for the Duggar Wedding Gowns

#1 gown goes to Jessa

Jessa's dress was the original wow factor. Long before Renee made Duggar wedding gowns top the style watch lists,  Jessa picked this blushing princess bride look on her own. Like her personality, the wedding was modestly stated with a power punch.  Her choices were smart, coordinated and beautiful. Yes she gets deductions for torturing her bridesmaids in both look and comfort, but she makes up for it with her overall creative eye.  She did the best with the least. She most likely will stay at the very top of the Duggar dress list for me.

Reveal hidden contents

Bridesmaids Rank: #7

Bouquet Rank: #5

Overall Rank: #3

I think for me Jessa gets first not so much because I like the her dress the most. I prefer JInger's but because Jessa went to an actually modest line so there wouldn't need to be any modifications  

• Upvote 7

On 4/11/2018 at 2:38 AM, SweetJuly said:

Going through some old documents at my parents' place, I recently came across a hand-drawn list of wishes for my 4th birthday. My father had added an explanation in writing based on my comments, I assume, as the drawings were as clear and accurate as the ones of a 3-year-old can be.

No. 1 on my wish list was "A wedding dress for children" :D  Clearly my obsession started early!

I took the list and went to my parents to complain that I never received such a dress during all my childhood. My parents replied that no such thing exists, but I pointed to the dresses my Catholic friends would wear for their first communion and some flower girl dresses that are as elaborate as an adult wedding dress.

I have now made the decision to buy my daughter "a wedding dress for children" should she ever utter such a wish to spare her the suffering and trauma I had to go through ;) 

My daughter was a bride for Halloween one year.  We bought her a communion veil and a white princess dress, which was then worn the next year as an actual princess costume.  So their are wedding dresses for children!

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Briefly said:

My daughter was a bride for Halloween one year.  We bought her a communion veil and a white princess dress, which was then worn the next year as an actual princess costume.  So their are wedding dresses for children!

Honestly, shopping for my first communion dress was a lot like wedding dress shopping. My mom had to have allll her sisters and all my cousins there.

• Upvote 3

My mom got me a white dress with yellow sunflowers for my communion though. I think she ordered it through a catalogue, so no dress shopping for us :) At the time, I would have loved a princessy dress though, but looking back, I'm fine with having had a dress made for children, not one that was an adult dress in children's size :) 

• Upvote 4

Skipping forward a few pages as I catch up but @neurogirl even though I cant see your facial expressions you look happier in the 2nd dress. Your body language seems more comfortable and yet excited if that makes any sense? X

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

Dresses- I want to see beautiful dresses posted in this thread. Every time I see this thread is active, I come in to see beautiful dresses.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

I never had a "real" wedding gown.  First one was lovely, aforementioned Laura Ashley dress.  Second time around, I just bought a pretty dress off the rack from Macys.  Now, I'm old and not ever going to get married again, I wish I could go and just try on wedding gowns.  Maybe Klienfeld lets you do that---pay $100 and try on dresses for an hour with no intention of buying.

• Upvote 4

My mom got married in a Laura Ashley dress. Fairly plain, maybe floral print - can't really tell from the handful of photos. Her father offered her a big wedding or cash - she went with cash and they used it for a deposit on a house. Both sets of parents and my dad's sister were the only people  present for the registry office ceremony and afterwards they all went to her dad's house for food. Also, there was no engagement ring and my mom actually purchased her wedding band herself (plain gold band - dad has never worn one).

Their 39th anniversary is next week. 

Part of me wishes there was a dress to see/try on. But the much larger, practical part is glad they did things this way. I have zero desire for a wedding and would have the minimum legal requirement of people present if my time ever comes. 

However, I love hearing about weddings, seeing dresses, rings etc! 

Edited by HideousGreenShirt
Format
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

nowhere close to marrying but If I do ever get there I think I'd pick something like this. 

ae5fd5bb1a0282dec8e6176676650e4f.jpg

That is lovely! I love lace and the color of the dress under the lace is so pretty.  I love trains on wedding gowns, mine was as long as I could afford!  I had a fingertip length veil, I would have preferred a long veil that extended past the train of my dress but veils can be pretty pricey.  We were trying to have a nice wedding without breaking the bank, which we mostly did. But I do wish that I'd bought a longer veil.

• Upvote 5

Hi everyone! I went home this weekend and tried on the first dress again. It had to be loosened in the hips or else I couldn’t sit down, and then I didn’t like the silouhette. It is a beautiful dress but it didn’t feel like mine and I was standing in the dress with this sweet old lady on her knees pinning the hem and I wanted to get. Out. Of that dress. I even started crying in the car with my mom after the fitting. So after days of going back and forth with confused parents and tears...I ordered the second dress from the lady selling it pre-owned for half off. The key argument was from a childhood friend who knows my anxiety and said “if you don’t feel good about the dress yet, at will convince you? I don’t want you to have a freak out on the wedding day about it.” Which was a possibility. My parents to their credit told me before I left that the second dress looked more like my grandmas dress (which I would’ve loved to wear but would have required destructive alterations to fit). So if anyone loves the first dress and is interested, message me! Lol (except it’s a for real option as I took the first dress back to my house with me). I will remove a layer or two of tulle in the second dress to get the right fluffiness. Thank you everyone for your support and feedback! I did feel much more comfortable in the second, flowier dress. 

My grandmas dress from 1956:

114CC389-E31B-409F-BD53-4C2AC0F34A89.jpeg.9e0829840d6f658fb5a170c1a02bffac.jpeg

Edited by neurogirl
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 18

13 hours ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

My mom got married in a Laura Ashley dress. Fairly plain, maybe floral print - can't really tell from the handful of photos. Her father offered her a big wedding or cash - she went with cash and they used it for a deposit on a house. Both sets of parents and my dad's sister were the only people  present for the registry office ceremony and afterwards they all went to her dad's house for food. Also, there was no engagement ring and my mom actually purchased her wedding band herself (plain gold band - dad has never worn one).

Their 39th anniversary is next week. 

Part of me wishes there was a dress to see/try on. But the much larger, practical part is glad they did things this way. I have zero desire for a wedding and would have the minimum legal requirement of people present if my time ever comes. 

However, I love hearing about weddings, seeing dresses, rings etc! 

This is what my daughter did as well. Her dress was from Nordstrom, purchased online.

On 4/11/2018 at 12:47 PM, Bad Wolf said:

@SweetJuly. My grandson said he wants a leprechaun trap for his 5th birthday. 

my nephew made leprechaun traps every St. Patricks Day for about 6 years.  most of them were the box/stick/trip-wire variety, and his mom would write notes "from" the leprechaun and leave little gifts in his room.  each year, nephew got more elaborate, so mom would follow along with the results; if the weather cooperated, his gifts were outside.  he'd hunt for things like gold dollar coins, green candy, small toys, etc. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic