IGNORED

John Shrader Part 11 - God's Grifter Falling Apart

Coconut Flan

33 minutes ago, subsaharanafrica said:

I love how he felt the need to photograph said 90 people at his church as proof--Despite not being "numbers people". 

Is there a photo of it? Roderick posted photos of himself preaching at a church with a sign saying "Bethel Baptist Church" clearly written across the top. I wonder if John had a combined Sunday service with another church & counted it towards the 90? :think:

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@clearingthingsup There is but I'm not sure how to post it here. It's just a bunch of people sitting in plastic chairs on a covered cement slab with what looks like an empty baptismal. He said he took the photo just before the service. 

I should state for the record that I tried to count the people in the photograph. The most I could get was 73. That was including Shraders and multiple infants in arms. 

This is the picture. I'm would not be surprised if he had combined services with someone else and just left that part off. Or if he was offering food and failed to mention it. These people aren't coming because John is well known for being a high quality pastor who cares about others. 

Spoiler

John.thumb.jpg.44be804a4c68336a82eb6dd8a0b5b316.jpg

I'm wondering how much he paid the "extras" apart from giving them a nice Sunday lunch for free. Is the photo on his Facebook?

Im one of the great blocked!

Formergothardite  has just posted it.

Thanks once again for keeping us in the loop everyone.

15 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

This is the picture. I'm would not be surprised if he had combined services with someone else and just left that part off. Or if he was offering food and failed to mention it. These people aren't coming because John is well known for being a high quality pastor who cares about others. 

Hide contents

John.thumb.jpg.44be804a4c68336a82eb6dd8a0b5b316.jpg

I'm fairly certain that is the building John's Church supposedly owns. Now I'm wondering what was up with Roderick being at that other church. The photos he posted looked very much like they were in an actual building with 4 walls. 

Is it just me or are most of those people kids/teenagers? 

32 minutes ago, FeministShrew said:

Is it just me or are most of those people kids/teenagers? 

No, I noticed that, too. Maybe the parents send them to get free lunches and to get kids out of their hair for a few hours? I could see a lot of parents thinking the Schrader "church" is a fairly safe place they can let their kids go to without worrying.  

Yeah, I can't imagine any other way to get so many people to his 'church' unless he was making it worth their while.

Free food ought to do it.  It's not like Esther has anything else to do with her time.

12 hours ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

My grandmother sold her house in the early 1990's and it still had an outside loo.It was one of a handful left in the area of post WWI housing. As the younger generations bought these houses as starter homes an inside  lavvy was the preferred option.

This was NE England.

I vaguely remember that before we moved to the house with the bathroom (NE Lancashire), that our old house (NW Lancashire) had a loo out in the yard in a little shed. My parents were given a small grant to have a modern flush loo installed in the shed just before we moved. The original one was circular, cased in a box with a wooden seat. It was terrifying. I remember being convinced that I was going to fall in ( aged 3-ish).

The primative flush system worked by running the kitchen cold tap. The water pressure turned a disk thingie at the bottom into the main sewer.  A dull thud sound could be heard. That was it flushed!

My mother poured gallons of hot water boiled in a huge jam pan on the gas oven along with bottles of Jeyes fluid down it in the summer.

2 hours ago, anjulibai said:

No, I noticed that, too. Maybe the parents send them to get free lunches and to get kids out of their hair for a few hours? I could see a lot of parents thinking the Schrader "church" is a fairly safe place they can let their kids go to without worrying.  

John probably publicized it as some kind of youth meeting, to get people to bring as many kids as possible. He absolutely preys on young people, in the psychological sense...it's important to brainwash 'em young.

Shrader followers should really keep this photo in mind next time next time John publishes a prayer card with his family in their "native dress" :pb_rollseyes: All the Zambians in that photo are wearing clothes that wouldn't be at all out of place in a US school or business casual workplace. I know expecting John to be culturally sensitive is laughable, but there's really no need to go full dashiki. 

Most folk in Zambia wear jeans , t shirts shorts etc. The older ladies may wear a modern version of local dress.

The dress materials/prints are very pretty and colourful. National dress will be worn for special occasions, weddings etc.

Office clothes are the same as any town/city. Thinner material used. Some office workers wear smart shorts and shirts with loafers. 

Teens wear the same as teens anywhere. 

Shop workers wear uniforms, same as USA, UK etc.

John tries to romanticise Zambia for his dafter leghumpers. 

2 hours ago, slickcat79 said:

John probably publicized it as some kind of youth meeting, to get people to bring as many kids as possible. He absolutely preys on young people, in the psychological sense...it's important to brainwash 'em young.

John told them he was screening Ferris Bueller's Day Off and giving out candy bars.

On 07/05/2017 at 6:35 PM, Palimpsest said:

Probably.  It flooded in 2006 too.  It is famous for having a beach that is inadequate and keeps eroding away.  They built the beach up in the 1980s and had Parliamentary inquiries when it all washed away again the same year.  They keep having to top it up.

It used to be a sleepy little seaside town but is now a bedroom community for London and has grown enormously.

oo I'm trying to guess which one it is now, because I also live in an East Sussex coastal town. And about ten years ago when we were looking to buy a house, I saw one for £80,000 which "needed at lot of work", which translated as no indoor toilet or piped hot water.

1 hour ago, BobTheWalrus said:

I'm trying to guess which one it is now

I don't mind it being named but I can't resist making you work a little harder.  Other than the disappearing beach it isn't famous for much.  More clues:

One of the "limbs" of Hastings under the Cinque Ports, has the westernmost Martello Tower (now a museum although in my childhood it was damp and dark and housed fruit machines), has a head that isn't beachy, but is well known for the eastern view of seven female siblings, and is very close to where most British children learn all about ox-bow lakes.  If you are travelling by train from Victoria, the name of the town changes pronunciation at Lewes to the correct Sussex pronunciation with the stress on the second syllable.  That's how we knew we were close to "home."

It is actually the closest to a home town I have in the UK because we used to spend furloughs there with my Granny and my parents bought a bungalow there when they retired.  I never lived there though.

Now I am wondering where you live.  Send me a PM if you like. :)

10 hours ago, slickcat79 said:

I know expecting John to be culturally sensitive is laughable, but there's really no need to go full dashiki. 

Has he done a Rachel Volezal (calls himself black) yet?

8 hours ago, Carol said:

John told them he was screening Ferris Bueller's Day Off and giving out candy bars.

Love me some Ferris Bueller!

6 hours ago, Granwych said:

Has he done a Rachel Volezal (calls himself black) yet?

Sort of. A while back he posted that a Zambian gentleman had called john "white on the outside and black on the inside" which flattered him greatly. 

Didn't John post a picture of himself covered in dirt and said something about how now he looked African on the outside as much as he did on the inside? 

Now Rea is posting about Sheffey. Is that the only movie those two can bring into Zambia? I Googled Robert Sheffey and Bob Jones left out that many of the people who worked with him thought he was straight up crazy. He said he didn't need to take care of his wife and kids because God would do that and once, when called to pray over a child bitten by a rattlesnake, thanked God that it had happened and asked that everyone else in the room get bitten by snakes. I remembered the story wrong, the horse didn't die, he gave it away. Sheffey was so strange that people in the 1800's were hesitant to make him a licensed pastor. But he was also known for being super concerned about animal welfare, to the point he would regularly try to save insects from being crushed by wagon wheels. Maybe Rea should learn a bit from him. 

18 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I don't mind it being named but I can't resist making you work a little harder.  Other than the disappearing beach it isn't famous for much. 

Ooo, oo, I think I know! Your town is small and westerly, and closely partnered with a town containing a castle (for which the Narnia children are named) and reclaimed marshlands?

I'm in the bourne which is East of there.

Speaking of wrong pronunciation, I had to laugh when my friend's sat nav pronounced Lewes "Loos". Um not quite dear!

2 hours ago, Freejin said:

Sort of. A while back he posted that a Zambian gentleman had called john "white on the outside and black on the inside" which flattered him greatly. 

??? If someone said that to me I'd assume they were saying I was superficially nice and secretly terrible.

Rather than a comment about race. Idk, could be either?

Also, every person in that photo is under 12. What the heck? 

19 minutes ago, SoGladIWasCofE said:

??? If someone said that to me I'd assume they were saying I was superficially nice and secretly terrible.

Hmm. What do you mean by this? 

I wonder if John realizes that there are white Zambians and he could probably pass for one if he just kept his mouth shut and refrained from running around in tribal dress. Every time the "looking like an African" thing comes up my eyes practically roll out of my head. 

36 minutes ago, subsaharanafrica said:

I wonder if John realizes that there are white Zambians and he could probably pass for one if he just kept his mouth shut and refrained from running around in tribal dress. Every time the "looking like an African" thing comes up my eyes practically roll out of my head. 

John is the embodiment of a world-class fool, whiner, and thief.  Those talents know no bounds.

1 hour ago, Granwych said:

John is the embodiment of a world-class fool, whiner, and thief.  Those talents know no bounds.

John has a spritual twin. Who middle name is also John.

They are both excellent at knowing no bounds.

4 hours ago, SoGladIWasCofE said:

Rather than a comment about race. Idk, could be either?

Have you seen Malcolm X?  The film is different from the book, but one scene that stuck with me was when he goes to prison and has another inmate talk to him about the very definitions of black and white, starting with the dictionary.  I'd never considered the privilege that comes with my skin and the labels associated with it, nor how my language privileged me just by luck of DNA. Being white came with its own positive connotations, and black also came with its own connotations, but those were much more negative; I truly hadn't realized until I saw that movie (however, I was barely a teen when I saw it, so some naivete is to be expected and allowed) . 

The point is that the terms themselves are heavily laden with connotations that align with stereotypes about race, ie, black is bad, and dark, and scary, and white is light and right, basically -- even though these are actually just colors, and shouldn't be terms of judgment (and beyond that, most human beings are not actually white or black.  I'm more of a beige-pink with a bit of tan, but that's not an option on forms).  

I think a lot of our society encourages us to think simplistically about these terms  without delving into the connections that these terms have with people's actual lived life experiences.  If you've always been taught that white is correct and black is bad, even metaphorically, it's not a huge leap to then correlate these positive and negative reactions/responses to people who are labeled those colors, even if unconsciously.  I'd encourage you to dig a bit deeper into the connotations of those words and consider how they might impact others.  It's rather amazing to think about how much impact the words we choose have on ourselves and others. 

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived