IGNORED

Blackjack Bateses! - Bates 21

choralcrusader8613

2 hours ago, ophelia said:

I really like Addallee! I don't really like all the names that are actually nicknames. Tori could be a Victoria, Josie a Josephine, Katie a Katherine, etc.

Huge yes! Why couldn't they give those girls the long legal name but call them by nicknames. Lawson isn't even his first name. 

Also I feel like Addallee is a nickname for Adeline or Adelaide. Oh and Callie? That's a nickname for Calista. 

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Oh gosh this is an unrelated sidenote. I'm pregnant and really noticing names lately. I can't stand some of the names Gil and Kelly chose. Aside from the Michael screw up, they've got some other bad ones in there. This is completely my personal and flawed opinion but...Lawson? Judson? Warden? Addallee? and Jeb feels like they just gave up at the end. Get it together, Kelly and Gil!

Just want to point out:

Lawson goes by his middle name. His first name is William. Same with Nathan (first name Kenneth.)

Addallee has the double letters because her birth was very scary. I think she stopped breathing and her heart actually stopped as well. She had to be transported to NICU where she stayed for a while. They picked the double letters to remember she was given a second chance at life (by God, obviously. :pb_rollseyes:)

The other names you mentioned? No clue. Warden's middle name is Justice though. So I think that explains why he goes by his first name.

It seems the ones who were named after family members go by their middle names, which makes a bit of sense if you can imagine them all gathered. Someone yells their name and they all look. The only cases in this family are Lawson and Nathan.

Recently the episode aired where they discussed how Addallee got her name. A few times Kelly said the phrase "when Gil was naming her..." and Gil decided on the double letters. I've also heard her say something similar about when Carlin was born, that Gil should have named her "Blessing." Does Gil get the official job of naming the children, I wonder? A patriarchy thing? I realize I could be reading too much into Kelly's words. 

1 hour ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Recently the episode aired where they discussed how Addallee got her name. A few times Kelly said the phrase "when Gil was naming her..." and Gil decided on the double letters. I've also heard her say something similar about when Carlin was born, that Gil should have named her "Blessing." Does Gil get the official job of naming the children, I wonder? A patriarchy thing? I realize I could be reading too much into Kelly's words. 

It could be worse. Gil could have named her Megatron like Peter Griffin did for Meg.  My uncle was joking around about the name of his first son being Optimus Prime and being called Opie for short. He ended up naming him Ashton.

1 hour ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Does Gil get the official job of naming the children, I wonder? A patriarchy thing? I realize I could be reading too much into Kelly's words. 

Kelly always seemed a bit detached to her babies to me, so I wouldn't be surprised if she just let Gil name the kids. That might be why he can remember their names and she can't. 

19 hours ago, ColeJo said:

It could be worse. Gil could have named her Megatron like Peter Griffin did for Meg.  My uncle was joking around about the name of his first son being Optimus Prime and being called Opie for short. He ended up naming him Ashton.

We had joke names when I was pregnant that we threw around anytime someone asked what our baby would be named - Abbey Road for a girl and White Album for a boy. We also joked about naming baby Chewbacca if she was really hairy. :pb_lol:

We actually had her name picked out for years. I suggested one name that held deep family connections for me, husband flipped the order and picked a different spelling for each part (which wound up reflecting my German heritage better), and that's what we went with. I love telling my now six month old that her daddy picked her name (even if she just stares and blinks at me.)

Evan's latest IG post with Carlin.  I just can't...... his eyebrows are a joke!!!

And he's doing the duck lips, he can't help himself, also center of the shot with Carlin hanging on his arm from the side..... UGH

I know Bobby seems a little arrogant and too self-assured, but he's older, has been separated from his family for longer, has a bit more maturity about it him, and clearly loves and adores Tori.

Evan is just.....I get embarrassed for him looks at all these stupid pouting selfies!!!
If he and Carlin get married, I hope it's a long time from now, but of course I won't hold my breath.
He is so into himself......!!!!!!! and clearly loving dating a semi "famous" girl on the UP channel.
UGHHHHHHHHHHHH he annoys me so much.

I was hoping someone would post about Evan's picture! I'm new here and don't know how to link an instagram picture yet. 

He just seems so fame hungry and into himself. I'm a little worried he's going to break carlin's heart and am also wondering why the hell Gil thought this was a good match. 

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

We had joke names when I was pregnant that we threw around anytime someone asked what our baby would be named

snip

A good friend's last name is King. When she was pregnant, she told people that the baby would be named Burger or Chicken Ala. Her husband's parents didn't think it was funny.

34 minutes ago, Tater_Toddler said:

I was hoping someone would post about Evan's picture! I'm new here and don't know how to link an instagram picture yet. 

He just seems so fame hungry and into himself. I'm a little worried he's going to break carlin's heart and am also wondering why the hell Gil thought this was a good match. 

Welcome! Here is the picture that I'm assuming you guys are referring to. Just copy the picture's URL and paste it and the picture will automatically embed itself. :)

My niece calls Evan the fundie Justin Bieber wannabe.

On 6/23/2017 at 9:45 AM, HereticHick said:

No, but if google "Crown College" and "Calvin" a sophomore soccer player from VA named Calvin Perkins comes up: http://thecrowncollege.edu/athletics/soccer-2/

I have no evidence that he's involved with Josie.

New theory. Maybe Judson said "Kelton" not "Calvin"? A few of the Bates sibs follow a Kelton Balka on Instagram.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008319253029

LinkediIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kelton-balka-09904097/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/keltonbalka/ 

UGH!!!!!! Why does Evan make that stupid face???? He always looks like he's been constipated for the last 3.5 weeks and is on the verge of finally breaking the constipation barrier.

Jiminy, that picture of Evan and Carlin could go in the dictionary beside the word "poser". From dictionary.com:

1. a person who poses.

2. a poseur, especially a person who is trendy or fashionable in a superficial way.

Yeah, superficial would work too.

SuhrEnity,You cracked me up!I hate those faces he makes.When I was still working and my son was still seeing his evil on again off again ex,I used to mock her selfie poses to the other girls at work.I am sure I looked ridiculous and that was the point.

Are Carlin and Evan allowed to touch more than a Duggar special friendship? Eh, I guess it's just a side hug. Never mind. Also, am I making it up, or did Kelly once say that their family does "dating with a purpose" instead of courtship? I might have dreamt it.

15 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Are Carlin and Evan allowed to touch more than a Duggar special friendship? Eh, I guess it's just a side hug. Never mind. Also, am I making it up, or did Kelly once say that their family does "dating with a purpose" instead of courtship? I might have dreamt it.

It's basically the same thing. The Bateses are just better at appearing "normal."

- Both families require chaperones.

- Both families have stated their children set their own standards. Of the families:

1. Jinger and Jeremy clearly took that seriously because they were very affectionate with each other. The other Duggars have mostly had the same standards thus far, likely due to the family history of molestations. 

2. The Bateses are a mixed bag for showing affection. Some, like Erin, had extremely strict standards. Others, like Michael, were comfortable front hugging. The only one to admit they kissed prior to marriage was Zach - he and Whit wound up confessing to his parents and asking their forgiveness. So I don't think the Bates offspring are quite as "free" to choose their standards as we'd like to think.

- The only one from either family who has truly picked their own spouse on their own terms appears to be Zach. All the others have found partners through the approved channels of family or the cult.

- The general formula is the same for both families. You have a "getting to know you" period, a courtship period, and an engagement period (which usually lasts around 3 months.)

Remember, Kelly has a long history of manipulating the family image. She famously tried to rebrand a birthday cake at Erin's wedding as a "Groom's cake" - which is creepy considering it was a birthday cake for Bill Gothard, he who sexually harassed female IBLP staffers. 

13 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Remember, Kelly has a long history of manipulating the family image. She famously tried to rebrand a birthday cake at Erin's wedding as a "Groom's cake" - which is creepy considering it was a birthday cake for Bill Gothard, he who sexually harassed female IBLP staffers. 

This.   The BG birthday cake example right here should be good reason to take Kelly's statements that make them appear "normal" with a huge grain of salt.  Also the huge WTF factor of honoring someone with a history of sexual harassment at one's wedding.  

13 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

The only one from either family who has truly picked their own spouse on their own terms appears to be Zach. All the others have found partners through the approved channels of family or the cult.

And bear in mind that Zach had an approved courtship that failed, so one should note that he did things on his own terms after that experience.  Not only did he do it his way but he had to have dealt with his parent's initial reactions once they learned of his unapproved relationship.

I'd be pretty cheezed if the love of my life acted like kissing me was a super shameful thing, groveled to his parents for forgiveness and told his siblings he didn't recommend it. But I guess Whitney chooses her battles.

Can we talk about the Jiu Jitsu class for a moment. First the two Jeb and Judson did it. And now the girls (Yes, Carlin famously breaking the sheetrock in the wall...). They have all--all of them--called it a Self Defense Class.  Okay, maybe that's their specific class.  But, is there a reason not one of them has said Jiu Jitsu?  Is it a problem because it comes out of, arguably, another religion? Or because its an Eastern Martial Art form so lets not say Jiu Jitsu we have to call it Self Defense so its palatable to them? 

4 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

I'd be pretty cheezed if the love of my life acted like kissing me was a super shameful thing, groveled to his parents for forgiveness and told his siblings he didn't recommend it. But I guess Whitney chooses her battles.

Whit probably knew to pick her battles here.  Plus if Gil and Kelly were not thrilled over their son choosing a wife outside of their cult (as was mentioned in a thread around the time of their engagement) she might have seen it as a way to placate them and so let it go.  Perhaps it was a matter of just get the parents on board so you can get married and after that you can do whatever.  

However, the idea of a guy in his mid-20s asking forgiveness from his parents for kissing his future wife is pretty sad by itself.   As a parent, had I been one, I would expect my mid 20's son (or daughter) to not only have kissed someone, I would expect he would have done a lot more, and hopefully he did it safely.   Because I would not expect to know about it much less be asked for forgiveness.

The boundary issues amongst these families are astounding.   

@BeccaGrim, there are some fundies and evangelicals who are bothered by the Eastern martial arts.  They do think it might be a cult or religious the same as they get all bent out of shape by people practicing mindfulness meditation or yoga.  There is at least one karate studio here in Greenville that advertises that their dojo is not affiliated with Eastern religions.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived