IGNORED

Blackjack Bateses! - Bates 21

choralcrusader8613

10 hours ago, TheDuggarnaut said:

Did you notice how little Brandon and Michael were shown in comparison to the other couples? They seem so uptight, like the fun and silly gene the other kids have somehow skipped Michaela.

I think besides a lot of it being personality, that had also been filmed quite a long time ago* and they were quite newly married and probably also just hadn't had the degree of in-person time to have the same level of banter/familiarity/teasing one another as some of the questions sort of 'required.'

*For those who didn't catch it, both Erin and Whitney specifically referenced only having one child at that point. Plus someone specifically said B/M had just recently married (forget if it was one of them or whichever sister was questioning them...sorry can't remember if it was Tori or Carlin) 

With B/M being married August 2015 and Kaci Bates being born in June 2016, and neither W or E referencing baby #2 coming very soon, that was very possibly filmed early spring 2016 when they always tape the Love You Day shows, meaning B/M may have only been married around 6 months, compared to the others all married much longer (as well as all the others always being at least a bit more demonstrative/lighthearted than either B/M have shown themselves to be).

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone hear Erin when they asked her to write how many kids Chad wants? 

She looked confused, laughed, and said something like "it's not like you can just choose how many kids you want." Ugh. Most normal people can choose how many children is their limit, Erin. 

I don't know where anyone saw that the couples all said numbers under 10. I just watched it and I know Alyssa and John said 6-8, Whitney and Zach said "?" And "we'll see", and I'm not sure what Erin and Chad said other than Erin's comment I mentioned previously. I don't even remember if Brandon and michael answered the question? 

Damnit now I want to watch that part again and I already deleted the recording.

Can we talk about the Jiu Jitsu class for a moment. First the two Jeb and Judson did it. And now the girls (Yes, Carlin famously breaking the sheetrock in the wall...). They have all--all of them--called it a Self Defense Class.  Okay, maybe that's their specific class.  But, is there a reason not one of them has said Jiu Jitsu?  Is it a problem because it comes out of, arguably, another religion? Or because its an Eastern Martial Art form so lets not say Jiu Jitsu we have to call it Self Defense so its palatable to them? 

This might have been addressed on some other page but I have to chime in about jiu jitsu.

Jiu Jitsu that the kids were doing is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (there is a Japanese Jiu Jitsu but that more of a standing game then ground game. The Bates were only doing Brazilian). It's not a typical Eastern Martial Arts. The sport borrows a lot from traditional eastern martial arts but based on the gym & the family line the sport is a lot less ridged. You can be promoted to the different belts without having to do testing ( unlike Karate) and there is NoGi element that it's BJJ without the Gi (the uniform) & belt system. BJJ borrows the most from Judo when it comes to martial arts (you tend to need to take your compietor to the ground), wrestling (a lot of old high school wrestlers end up joining), and yoga. Also a lot of techniques from jiu Jitsu pop up in UFC fights.

Also one of the things that separates jiu Jitsu currently from other martial arts is that the sport is on the young side. Which makes it easy to track almost all of the black belts to their professor and then their professor which is either a Gracie, The Leg Lock guy, or The Original. There is probably another 30 years until it gets to messy to track. Also if you ever come across a red belt in BJJ that means they are a master of sport and have done great services to advance the sport.

A lot of gyms in the area I used live in did a lot of self defense seminars in hopes of hooking more students. There was a lot of focus in trying to bring in cops, firemen, and vets by offering free membership unlit first stripe or blue belt. Also some gyms if they have a good base will offer classes that is just women but those are far and few in between.

As for not calling it jiu Jitsu in the episode it's not that uncommon of a term if you don't want to explain it to much.

8 hours ago, klabourdeth said:

This might have been addressed on some other page but I have to chime in about jiu jitsu.

Thank you for that explanation!

On 7/5/2017 at 9:37 AM, Timetraveler said:

How I hate that white modesty-thingy at the bottom of Erin's dress. Red looks great on her though.

That damn white modesty thing just looks like her half slip is way too long, she had it pulled up around her waist, and it fell down.  As we used to say "It's snowing down South."

That slip scenario actually happened to me in junior high a few times when I was wearing one of my sister's old half slips.   She's about 4 inches taller than I am and is also several years older.  Yeah, her old slips did not fit.

I just watched a full episode of this show for the first time ever.  It was the episode where they pick up Bobby from camp, and Alyssa surprises them with the announcement that she's pregnant with Lexi.  I was surprised by a few things:

Whitney is not nearly as warm and friendly as she seems in her Instagram feed.  I don't know what it was, but her personality on the show surprised me.  

Carlin is completely irritating.  She's very loud, very dramatic, very "look at meeeeee!!"  It's almost shocking because as we all know, females aren't supposed to behave like this at all.  If she wasn't so irritating, I'd be cheering this behavior on since it flies in the face of their BS beliefs about gender roles. 

Lawson is as annoying as I always thought he was (based on his Instagram)

Kelly Jo is almost likable.  If I knew nothing about her beliefs and version of Christianity, and only saw this episode, I'd really like her.  She seems kind, bubbly, and a lot of fun.  Same for Gill.  Of course, their beliefs and the fact that they're still involved in this cult after all these years negates this.  

I just realized I could watch episodes via an Up subscription on Amazon. So now I'm binge watching all the videos! I was watching the first season Thanksgiving episode and could not believe when Carlin (I think?) stood up on the tablecloth in her shoes. But it blew my mind on the way she back-talked to her Grandmother when she was admonished for her actions. If any of my children had talked back like that they would have had a serious talking to, made to apologize for extreme rudeness, and probably been on cleanup crew for the rest of the weekend. That was an insane amount of rudeness displayed.

On 6/27/2017 at 5:19 PM, eleanora3 said:

New theory. Maybe Judson said "Kelton" not "Calvin"? A few of the Bates sibs follow a Kelton Balka on Instagram.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008319253029

LinkediIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kelton-balka-09904097/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/keltonbalka/ 

Someone on tumblr just confirmed that Josie Bates' "special friend" is Kelton Balka. 

The whole family is very disrespectful towards Papa Bill and Mama Jane. I hope UP is compensating them for their appearances on the show.

11 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

The whole family is very disrespectful towards Papa Bill and Mama Jane. I hope UP is compensating them for their appearances on the show.

I couldn't agree more! My family weren't anywhere near as conservative as the Bateseses and that kind of behaviour would not have been tolerated. 

You can tell that Papa Bill and Mama Jane have very mixed feelings about their hundreds of grandchildren. 

18 hours ago, eleanora3 said:

Someone on tumblr just confirmed that Josie Bates' "special friend" is Kelton Balka. 

Damn, these Bates girls really have a "type".

(Though they have to, since fundie men come in only two flavors: 1. gangly, balding 14-year-old, and 2. Ken doll who worships Paul Ryan and thinks any street where a black person lives is "a really rough neighborhood")

44 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

(Though they have to, since fundie men come in only two flavors: 1. gangly, balding 14-year-old, and 2. Ken doll who worships Paul Ryan and thinks any street where a black person lives is "a really rough neighborhood")

Yeah....does anyone else think it's kind of weird?

They all go for the same type of guy....physically at least.

Certainly nobody who even remotely resembles dear old dad LOL

20 hours ago, eleanora3 said:

If you Google his name and "Pensacola" you will find a couple of pictures of him in the PCC yearbook. Also, the 2009 obituary of his mother, who died at age 39 while giving birth to her fifth child: http://www.tributes.com/obituary/show/Kristy-Dotson-Balka-85709146 

Does anyone know when the rest of season 6 will be uploaded to Amazon? I haven't been able to watch any of it other than the first episode!

OK so I don't know how to post pictures on here from my phone because I'm a bad millennial, but has anybody noticed how much Carlin looks like her boyfriend's sister?? It's weird ingredients me out!

On 7/7/2017 at 11:20 PM, TheDuggarnaut said:

I believe John said 6 and Alyssa said 8.

He said 8, but he also said that it was up to Alyssa.  She said 6. And I don't believe her at all. I have the feeling Alyssa is ok with 2 kids but she says a higher number just to fit in her family. 

On 8/7/2017 at 6:29 AM, eandre31 said:

Did anyone hear Erin when they asked her to write how many kids Chad wants? 

She looked confused, laughed, and said something like "it's not like you can just choose how many kids you want." Ugh. Most normal people can choose how many children is their limit, Erin. 

She had 3 miscarriages before Carson. So maybe she was saying the truth, supposing she wants a big family and she cannot really choose that.

Yes, I know she was probably just parroting all that Gothardite teachings and aswered like a robot. But as far as she has experienced fertility problems, her opinion about family size is valuable.

On 7/14/2017 at 10:26 AM, nickelodeon said:

Not to come off as a total stalker but he seems to have a type too. His ex girlfriend looks kind of like Josie: 

10610860_1130017540363637_3136507510210280382_n.jpg19989427_1575416609157059_7189489732763809029_n.jpg

On 7/15/2017 at 7:05 AM, speller24 said:

OK so I don't know how to post pictures on here from my phone because I'm a bad millennial, but has anybody noticed how much Carlin looks like her boyfriend's sister?? It's weird ingredients me out!

Her boyfriend reminds me of Lawson, so this seems par for the course with this group. 

On 7/13/2017 at 11:07 AM, takers401 said:

That was an insane amount of rudeness displayed.

The Bates have always been on the rude side. I think some of them might have picked up Gil and Kelly's attitude that they are just entitled to shit, except they also weren't trained in being nice to others. The first time it really stood out was when one of them was super rude to one of the Duggar daughters during an episode where the Duggars were helping fix up their house. I can't remember which one it was, but Erin had the decency to look embarrassed by her sister's behavior. 

15 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

The Bates have always been on the rude side. I think some of them might have picked up Gil and Kelly's attitude that they are just entitled to shit, except they also weren't trained in being nice to others. The first time it really stood out was when one of them was super rude to one of the Duggar daughters during an episode where the Duggars were helping fix up their house. I can't remember which one it was, but Erin had the decency to look embarrassed by her sister's behavior. 

I believe it was Tori being a lil fart while Jill was painting a door. I actually was "ok" with her behavior because I had hopes that she would simply stick up for what she wants. She was honest in a rude way and I was just shocked. I would LOVE to see her in pants. Tori Bates could be a really dangerous fundie in pants.

I remember that episode.Tori thought that Jill and Jana,I think ,had a chosen "yuck" colors.Michael said she'd probably like them,once it was finished.

Kelton (this is a weird name to me) is facebook friends with Bobby Smith and loves soccer. 

Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 4.41.11 PM.png

I believe it was Tori being a lil fart while Jill was painting a door. I actually was "ok" with her behavior because I had hopes that she would simply stick up for what she wants. She was honest in a rude way and I was just shocked. I would LOVE to see her in pants. Tori Bates could be a really dangerous fundie in pants.

The expression on Jill's face was priceless. She wanted to take the paint and throw it on Tori. That's about as close to a fundie catfight that I have ever seen.

On 7/7/2017 at 8:18 AM, BeccaGrim said:

Brandon really never seems to like Tori very much. I mean universally he squirms away from her like she has cooties. 

Just watched this episode and you are so right. It's a bit odd to me... and the way that Michael just tries to please him with every move is ugh.... 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived