IGNORED

Jinger/Jeremy: Not as Interesting as Jingerbread

choralcrusader8613

3 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Not all, i said usually. And it certainly happens everywhere

Does that mean that you think that organic food is usually a lie? That the producers and regulators are all in cahoots about it?

On what fundies think of BC for other reasons, I could totally see "My doctor prescribed hormone pills and said that infertility could be a side effect. I can stop taking them if we're trying."

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is from a page or so back, but it's a story I wanted to share from my therapist and what we tried that worked for me.

He wanted me to come up with a phrase or something to recite in my head to ground myself when I was feeling overwhelmed or on the verge of a panic attack. He said it could be a Bible verse, a poem, a prayer, a mantra, a song lyric, or anything that would make me feel better. He told me a story of a woman who loved Star Wars and her mantra was "These are not the droids (sometimes she would say "worries" instead) you're looking for" when she got super anxious. It helped her because it was funny and silly and was one of her favorite interests and helped to remind her that not everything was a life or death situation like anxiety often makes us feel.

I think that is the perfect blending of secular and Christian therapy. I use my mantra many many many times a day and if it was something Biblical or a prayer, it would probably center me in my faith and I imagine I would want to memorize more Bible verses so I could switch it up every so often. I also never was on medication. He asked from the beginning what I wanted in terms of care and I asked that we exhaust other methods and then talk about prescriptions later. He was totally on board. The whole thing seems like a win/win and very open minded.

I just wonder what the Duggars' collective lives would be like if Michelle had gone to someone like my therapist after she had her laundry attack. Or if everyone involved with the molestations, including Josh, had gone. 

9 hours ago, Sherresed said:

People can use both medication and prayer.

I agree with you if Jeremy was meaning prayer can help those who are depressed due to feeling guilty then I can understand what he's saying but as he hasn't said anything about seeking medical help if you need it he isn't helping those who have severe depression.

3 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Not all, i said usually. And it certainly happens everywhere

I think a key component here is that most people don't know the nitty-gritty specifics of labels such as "organic" and "all-natural." The example that I'm really familiar with is chickens (I have 6 right now, 4 Americaunas, 2 Black Stars, and a Speckled Sussex) and the labeling on eggs is very misleading. When people buy free-range, they get a picture in their minds of happy little chickens roaming in the grass and eating bugs. This is not the case. Legally, the USDA's definition of free-range means that the chickens just need some kind of outdoor access for some time. They could still spend the vast majority of their lives in factory facilities. "Pastured" or "pasture-raised," on the other hand, means the chickens are allowed outside for most of their lives, with shelter to retire to at night. Free-range chickens also require 2 square feet per bird, according to HFAC standards, while pastured chickens have 108 square feet per bird.  Not trying to get into the ethics of animal husbandry here by the way, no shame if you don't buy pastured! But the language on food labels, including organic and all-natural, can be pretty misleading, especially with those pictures of frolicking chickens on the label.

Also, I understand how feeding chickens an all-vegetarian diet can make things easier in a factory setting, but chickens aren't vegetarians. I've seen a flock of them kill a garter snake and eat it. Blood dripping from their beaks. It was like a freaking horror movie. I love my girls.

Spoiler

20150401_160242.jpg

54 minutes ago, sophie10130 said:

This is from a page or so back, but it's a story I wanted to share from my therapist and what we tried that worked for me.

He wanted me to come up with a phrase or something to recite in my head to ground myself when I was feeling overwhelmed or on the verge of a panic attack. He said it could be a Bible verse, a poem, a prayer, a mantra, a song lyric, or anything that would make me feel better. He told me a story of a woman who loved Star Wars and her mantra was "These are not the droids (sometimes she would say "worries" instead) you're looking for" when she got super anxious. It helped her because it was funny and silly and was one of her favorite interests and helped to remind her that not everything was a life or death situation like anxiety often makes us feel.

I think that is the perfect blending of secular and Christian therapy. I use my mantra many many many times a day and if it was something Biblical or a prayer, it would probably center me in my faith and I imagine I would want to memorize more Bible verses so I could switch it up every so often. I also never was on medication. He asked from the beginning what I wanted in terms of care and I asked that we exhaust other methods and then talk about prescriptions later. He was totally on board. The whole thing seems like a win/win and very open minded.

I just wonder what the Duggars' collective lives would be like if Michelle had gone to someone like my therapist after she had her laundry attack. Or if everyone involved with the molestations, including Josh, had gone. 

That's wonderful. It sounds like you found someone perfect for you. That's really the goal I think. I use medications now, but I didn't really embrace that part until I became immobile from my anxiety(Zoloft is probably my favorite of anything I've tried. I will never go back on Celexa. It wasn't my choice, and it was terrible for me). I really find the mantra idea fascinating and I'm interested in trying it.

@toosweet How gracious of you to "wait out" Obama's presidency. How hard it must have been for you. Meanwhile, as a Jew I'm wondering if it's safe for me to wear my Star of David necklace. Many of my trans friends now wonder if they'll be able to use a bathroom in peace without fear of harassment. A guy I'm sort of kind of seeing long-distance is afraid to come to the US to visit me out of fear that his skin color and Arabic first name will mark him for detention at the airport or worse. The people you blithely marginalize have been pulling up their big girl panties for years to "wait out" people like you. Now it's uncertain if that will be enough to make it through Trump's policies. 

@toosweet I will very possibly DIE under a Trump presidency. You voted for that.

My wife and I are one layoff from dying. We're uninsurable, since she has depression and I have asthma. If we ever lose insurance for even one day, we will never be able to buy insurance we can afford, ever, on the open market, and insurance through work may exclude our preexisting conditions, if that ACA provision is repealed.

The nature of my asthma along with some allergies means that my face and neck may suddenly swell up. And without $200 a month asthma drugs and shots to desensitize me, I will have these sudden reactions and need expensive emergency care. So, bankrupt and jobless (because too much debt without paying it off, regardless if I could or not, means I will have my law license yanked), or dead because I did not get care due to cost.

Along with that, we are a same-sex married couple. So, the government has data on us and our orientation, and many awful supporters of Mr. Cheeto feel free to harass and threaten us. I've been shoved to the ground and had my car vandalized already. 

He's got blood on his hands. And, so do you. You support this sort of thing.

Yup, @lawlifelgbt, they voted to directly harm people.  Hubby is a quadriplegic, I'm pregnant and if for some reason we lost our jobs and thus our insurance we'd be fuuuuuucked. 

5 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

This is a wonderful example of mindfulness and how people can blend religion, spirituality, and personal interests for therapeutic benefit. Meditation, rosaries, chanting, these are all tapping into aspects of mindfulness that people have used for self reflection, health, and serenity.

1 hour ago, lawlifelgbt said:

@toosweet I will very possibly DIE under a Trump presidency. You voted for that.

My wife and I are one layoff from dying. We're uninsurable, since she has depression and I have asthma. If we ever lose insurance for even one day, we will never be able to buy insurance we can afford, ever, on the open market, and insurance through work may exclude our preexisting conditions, if that ACA provision is repealed.

The nature of my asthma along with some allergies means that my face and neck may suddenly swell up. And without $200 a month asthma drugs and shots to desensitize me, I will have these sudden reactions and need expensive emergency care. So, bankrupt and jobless (because too much debt without paying it off, regardless if I could or not, means I will have my law license yanked), or dead because I did not get care due to cost.

Along with that, we are a same-sex married couple. So, the government has data on us and our orientation, and many awful supporters of Mr. Cheeto feel free to harass and threaten us. I've been shoved to the ground and had my car vandalized already. 

He's got blood on his hands. And, so do you. You support this sort of thing.

Your story is ANOTHER reason I can't stand hypocritical hateful Christians, who would deny you & your wife the rights my husband and I enjoy.  Gay marriage has been legal here in IA since 08, and guess what, my marriage never changed, it didn't hurt us, it didn't phase us, and we are just fine 9 years later.  People who go out of their way to make people who are "different" feel less than shows that THEY are less than confident in their own existence and should seek help professionally so see why they care what strangers are doing to the point that they woul dhurt a stranger. 

My friend is waiting to completely her breast reconstruction after a year of chemo, radiation, and a mastectomy. Her husband is a freelance worker, he makes REALLY REALLY good money, but he has no benefits, she carries them.  She was beyond lucky that her job afforded her enough sick leave, after only 5 years of employment, that she never had to take a single day with out pay even though she missed almost 4 full months of work last year. Unfortunately she will be laid off in 3 months when her contract runs out with this company she's hoping to have her reconstruction before the lay off so she doesn't have to cobra, which she really can't afford after meeting her $10k deductible for the 2nd year in a row.  She was going to lose her job shortly before her cancer diagnosis, but they extended it for 18 more months. she has a very specific job skill set, and she also makes very good money, but if she is unable to find a job and the ACA is revoked she will also be uninsurable, oh as will her 60 year old husband with asthma. And her 17 year old daughter has Asthma & celiac disease and her 14 year old twin boys have  as well. celiac disease.  Her & Dh make close to $350k a year, but they live in San Diego a very expensive town, but they can afford it, unless they don't have insurance.  

At the risk of downvotes, I was initially very skeptical of ACA because I thought universal healthcare wouldn't be the right thing for my country. Then I educated myself. 

My mom had told me during an argument many years ago that she felt a lump in her breast. I know this sounds horrible, but I didn't believe her. My mom had a history of lying or being over dramatic to gain sympathy during our fights, and my biggest regret is not listening to her. She was unemployed and without health insurance, and was too terrified of expensive medical bills she couldn't afford to go to a doctor. How horrible in our "great, number one" country that someone who is almost positive they have cancer, is too afraid to do anything about it? As soon as she was able to (probably 2-3 years after that incident), she enrolled in ACA and was immediately diagnosed with Stage 4 metastatic breast cancer. ACA kept her alive for two (what felt like very short) years. I am so grateful for that time- we were able to work through our issues and reconcile. She helped me plan my wedding, even though she didn't get to make it. 

If ACA would have existed sooner, she could have started treatment before her cancer spread and her tumor became massive. It legitimately would have been life changing. As morbid as this may seem, at least she doesn't have to see the hell hole Trump is dragging our nation into. 

13 hours ago, toosweet said:

I agree that meds may be necessary for treating mental illness.  I was on meds for anxiety and depression for 15 years.  However, when my husband died, I went off the meds (I had missed several doses due to caring for him, anyway) for two reasons:  1 - I lost his insurance and my doc did not accept my future insurance and 2. I wanted to be sure that when I 'made it to the other side' of the grieving process and was OK, the healing was not masked by meds.  I am a conservative Christian with an open mind (pro choice, etc) and waded through grief counseling (at a Baptist church) believing and KNOWING that God is in control and carries me through good and bad situations. I used scripture, education, and experienced guidance to muddle through the grieving process. ( Xanax did help me sleep)

(snipped for brevity)

Ahhhhh.

You must be new here.

12 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

Pseudo-related thought: The show The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu is being criticized by some people on social media for being too overtly anti-Trump. Obviously it's a small percentage of fools with Facebook making those claims, but they exist. What they don't seem to realize is that it's based off a book from 1985... so if you feel attacked by a book that written well before Trump's presidency, which depicts disgusting mistreatment of women and dystopian Christian extremism... maybe your political beliefs aren't so great after all.

I'm taking out Hulu just for THT, and if this isn't the perfect political climate to drop some dystopian allegory in, I don't know what is.  Now if we could only get the fundies to watch it and start asking questions. 

There's nothing wrong with using prayer or meditation for your depression if it helps. But saying "all you need is Jesus" is applying a dismissive, one size fits all solution to a deeply complex problem. 

Some depression is helped by diet, exercise, or even the seasons and natural sunlight. Some is not. Some depression is neurological or biochemical and requires medication. Some is not. Some depression requires talk therapy. Some does not. Some depression is caused by trauma. Some is not. Some depression is helped by spiritual practice. Some is not. Some depression is caused by physical health issues, poverty, loneliness, lack of sleep, discrimination, current stress or other social factors. Some is not. 

And of course, MOST depression is a mix of two or more of these factors. So even if prayer helps, it's likely that something else will also be necessary, whether it's as intensive as inpatient treatment or as everyday as getting more sleep or doing a productive activity. Or both-- like getting a divorce from a bad partner or seeking a less stressful job.

It's not one size fits all, and this is just a cloak for Jeremy to spread more smug propaganda to the vulnerable, not a genuine attempt at helping anyone. 

Psychiatric medication saved my life. I've had depression since I was a child and no amount of prayer ever helped. About 4 1/2 years ago it got to the point where I tried to kill myself. I was in and out of the psychiatric hospital for a while. Finally I ended up in a different hospital where they started me on a new medication. When I was first hospitalized I felt totally hopeless and did nothing but lay in bed all day. After a few days with the new medication I was feeling good enough to get up, shower, and talk to people. After I was discharged I went into an excellent intensive outpatient program that combined psychiatric care with therapy. Those few months were one of the best times in my life because I felt like I had a life again. It still feels like a miracle and even now there's not a single day where I don't think about how grateful I am not to be depressed.

I had insurance to cover that treatment because of Obamacare making it so children could stay on their parents' insurance until they turn 26. I turned 26 last fall and because I'm in a state that expanded medicaid under Obamacare, I was able to get medical assistance.

I don't want to need medical assistance, but I'm really glad it's there. Because I've been able to get treatment I've recovered to the point where I was able to go back to college. I'll graduate this spring with a degree in Biology and hopefully soon I'll be able to get a job and I won't need medical assistance anymore.

The Republicans don't want this. The proposed bill would have taken away the requirement for Medicaid to cover mental health and substance abuse treatment (I am so incredibly grateful and relieved that the bill is dead for now). If, as the Republicans would prefer, I had never been able to get treatment, I would still be a suicidal mess, if I were even alive at all. It's because of the treatment offered me that I've gotten to the point where I can be a functioning member of society again. There is absolutely no way that I would have been able to pick myself up by my metaphorical bootstraps, or whatever Republicans think mentally ill people who aren't rich should do.

Just to clarify something I should have said in my first post......I understand that some people find prayer and/or religion a helpful part of the treatment and recovery process with mental illness and do not judge that one bit. I'm an atheist raised in a non religious family, so it would do nothing to help me, but different strokes for different folks etc.

But it is incredibly dangerous and stupid for someone to suggest there is no place for medical/psychiatric treatment.  

15 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

Pseudo-related thought: The show The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu is being criticized by some people on social media for being too overtly anti-Trump. Obviously it's a small percentage of fools with Facebook making those claims, but they exist. What they don't seem to realize is that it's based off a book from 1985... so if you feel attacked by a book that written well before Trump's presidency, which depicts disgusting mistreatment of women and dystopian Christian extremism... maybe your political beliefs aren't so great after all.

Not to mention that it was already adapted into a movie starring Natasha Richardson in 1990.

I'm surprised though that people aren't aware of the novel, I was under the impression that Maragret Atwood and her novels (and especially The Handmaid's Tale) were pretty wellknown in the US-

8 minutes ago, Icea said:

Not to mention that it was already adapted into a movie starring Natasha Richardson in 1990.

I'm surprised though that people aren't aware of the novel, I was under the impression that Maragret Atwood and her novels (and especially The Handmaid's Tale) were pretty wellknown in the US-

I doubt the people that are bitching are really into books

15 hours ago, Kailash said:

I have a problem with telling people that their vote was wrong when freedom of choice is huge here. I am in need of education about this particular topic please.  

I don't think telling people they were downright WRONG to elect a man who has bragged about going into a dressing room to ogle naked UNDERAGE teens in his beauty pageant means disrespecting freedom of choice. 

20 minutes ago, VeganCupcake said:

I don't think telling people they were downright WRONG to elect a man who has bragged about going into a dressing room to ogle naked UNDERAGE teens in his beauty pageant means disrespecting freedom of choice. 

Not to mention that the people who voted for him after that are the same people who are constantly prattling on about the ever-present threat of men in unconvincing wigs barging into ladies' rooms to deflower girls and women.

19 minutes ago, VeganCupcake said:

Yep. If that's wrong, I sure as fuck don't want to be right. And if my use of the f-word is considered too "vulgar", but the goddamn fucking president's statement that he assaults women by grabbing them by pussy is okay, then you can get the fuck out of here with your bullshit, monstrous fake-ass standards. I would never in a million years dream of being as vulgar as that piece of shit. I wouldn't even know how. Because I'm not a predator.

11 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

At the risk of downvotes, I was initially very skeptical of ACA because I thought universal healthcare wouldn't be the right thing for my country. Then I educated myself. 

My mom had told me during an argument many years ago that she felt a lump in her breast. I know this sounds horrible, but I didn't believe her. My mom had a history of lying or being over dramatic to gain sympathy during our fights, and my biggest regret is not listening to her. She was unemployed and without health insurance, and was too terrified of expensive medical bills she couldn't afford to go to a doctor. How horrible in our "great, number one" country that someone who is almost positive they have cancer, is too afraid to do anything about it? As soon as she was able to (probably 2-3 years after that incident), she enrolled in ACA and was immediately diagnosed with Stage 4 metastatic breast cancer. ACA kept her alive for two (what felt like very short) years. I am so grateful for that time- we were able to work through our issues and reconcile. She helped me plan my wedding, even though she didn't get to make it. 

If ACA would have existed sooner, she could have started treatment before her cancer spread and her tumor became massive. It legitimately would have been life changing. As morbid as this may seem, at least she doesn't have to see the hell hole Trump is dragging our nation into. 

OMG This is so similar to what happened to my mom. She was bleeding rectally for a YEAR and didn't go to the doctor because although my mom and dad both worked, they didn't have insurance and made too much to quality for assistance. So one morning she just starts hemorrhaging and goes in by ambulance. She had stage 4 colon cancer and died 17 months later. It breaks my heart that people are dying here when there is quality medical care available but not accessible. It's barbaric in my opinion.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived