IGNORED

Chad and Erin Paine: Goats and Other Things that Spit

choralcrusader8613

Someone responded on Erin's Instagram that she recognizes those hospital blankets. Poor little Brooklyn, still in the hospital.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like they will never know what caused the infection. Hopefully Brooklyn will recover fairly quickly so that they can get back home.

That poor little baby. I hope she's starting to feel a little bit better with the antibiotics. Nothing worse than a sick baby. :( 

11 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Some parents may be attention seeking, but I think most are just looking for comfort and reassurance. Having a sick child or facing that possibility is terrifying in so many ways. Everyone is different and if someone, like your friend, feels better sharing parts of that journey then I say do it - just remember that your child is an individual who deserves to be treated with respect and dignity.

There's always two sides to it. I can't stand when people will post just a picture of a child's arm with an iv and say "pray for us". Yes, but say what is wrong instead of having a hundred people ask what's going on. I think every parent with an unwell child deserves all the support they need, but people that post an undetailed photo for their kid that just needed stitches vs what you're going through is a HUGE difference. The ones that have a kid who is just in the er are usually the attention seeking type.

With that being said, you're in my prayers my fellow nutmegger. I truly hope it's all just cautious doctors.

This just makes me think of Mullet and Boob who left Josie in the NICU to protest alcohol sales. Everyhing else aside, I don't think Chad/Erin would leave their baby's side willingly. 

21 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I've never been a scholar of any scripture. So can anyone explain why people mark up their bibles? I don't understand the circling words or highlighting or outlining paragraphs. I've never seen anyone do that to a Torah. 

Yeah, I think Jews are taught a very different way of thinking about holy books. My religious upbringing has been eclectic. But I believe Jews think anything with the written word of god (including the literal word G-d) is sacred. The words and thus the book must be respected by not touching the floor. I think if someone copying  the scrolls of the Torah made a mistake they had a whole ritual for burying that entire section with the mistake.

Christians seems to study and treat the Bible as any other book. Like I remember always thinking it was a bizarre answer when people say the Bible is their favorite book because to me if you really hold it in high esteem you don't consider it a book, it's something much more, not something you put next to Harry Potter in your Facebook profile. But I think to them this shows how holy they are as they study it where as someone with Jewish upbringing my immediate thought when seeing others highlight a bible is revulsion and fear. I think that's from my understanding that dropping the Torah meant the congregation fasted for 40 days so I was always super anxious about how holy books were treated. 

23 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I've never been a scholar of any scripture. So can anyone explain why people mark up their bibles? I don't understand the circling words or highlighting or outlining paragraphs. I've never seen anyone do that to a Torah. 

It is like writing notes in  your books in school (you're not going to turn your Bible back in for cash so no need to keep it pristine!). Then when you are reading through it again, you will see your notes from previous readings or notes from sermons that you have heard that helped to explain the passage or point out a link/similarity to another passage. Whenever I wore out a Bible, I spent weeks transferring all my notes into the new one.

4 hours ago, Snarkle Motion said:

But I think to them this shows how holy they are as they study it where as someone with Jewish upbringing my immediate thought when seeing others highlight a bible is revulsion and fear. I think that's from my understanding that dropping the Torah meant the congregation fasted for 40 days so I was always super anxious about how holy books were treated. 

This is so interesting to me. I teach the Bible (parts of Old and New Testaments) in a great books class at a secular college, and I encourage my students to mark up all their texts to help with reading comprehension and having things to say in class. There's a particular study bible they're required to use. Many of my students are Jewish and it never occurred to me that they might have a problem with it. 

We also teach the Qur'an and I know it was a problem for Muslim students to mark the text when we used to use a version that was in Arabic as well as English. But now that we have an English-only version that seems to have been resolved -- I've been told it's only the Arabic text that's considered a holy object.  

IMG_1505.thumb.PNG.3e74299eb8ab1592eb32e6460987d4b6.PNG

Brooklyn is looking much happier and more awake. Nice to see that cute little grin. :) 

Anyone know why her foot is wrapped like that - maybe our healthcare FJers? Is it to keep her feet clean if she wants to walk around a bit?

@OyToTheVeyI took a New Testament as Lit course in college. Our professor encouraged us to mark up our Bibles so we could study better on our own. It's easier to remember what important points were made in a passage if it's right there. I'm guessing the same would be true for people like the Bateses and Duggars?

2 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

This is so interesting to me. I teach the Bible (parts of Old and New Testaments) in a great books class at a secular college, and I encourage my students to mark up all their texts to help with reading comprehension and having things to say in class. There's a particular study bible they're required to use. Many of my students are Jewish and it never occurred to me that they might have a problem with it. 

We also teach the Qur'an and I know it was a problem for Muslim students to mark the text when we used to use a version that was in Arabic as well as English. But now that we have an English-only version that seems to have been resolved -- I've been told it's only the Arabic text that's considered a holy object.  

I've never seen a Torah that didn't have Hebrew. Most of them are in Hebrew and others are half and half. I honestly have never seen a Torah marked up. As someone has said above, I don't think I've ever seen it on the floor either. Hmm I don't think I would even take a paper and use the bible or any spiritual book as a prop to write on. 

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

Anyone know why her foot is wrapped like that - maybe our healthcare FJers? Is it to keep her feet clean if she wants to walk around a bit?

@OyToTheVey

The foot wrap is a diaper that is probably covering up an IV line so that she doesn't pull it out. My friend's lil guy has Sickle Cell and they did that a lot when he was little. 

Looks like Brooklyn got a new baby doll from Kelly. I hope she's feeling better, she does look better. Let's hope that she's home soon. 

8 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

When I was in college, we were required to take a Bible class every semester. Some classes, like Church History, Christian Home, Christian Business Ethics had actual textbooks. For our actual Biblical Studies classes, like The Life of Christ, Old or New Testsment Survey, Study of Romans...the Bible basically was our textbook, so I did mark mine up a lot. I used a different color each semester so "new material" was easy to study. 

I did have two Bibles at that time, one for my college classes and one for church and personal study. 

I can certainly understand how anyone would be uncomfortable marking or writing in the book of their faith. It just happens to be pretty common in our non-denominational church. Let's just say we're probably SEVERELY responsible for most of the sale of the new journaling Bibles. :pb_biggrin:

21 hours ago, Snarkle Motion said:

as someone with Jewish upbringing my immediate thought when seeing others highlight a bible is revulsion and fear. I think that's from my understanding that dropping the Torah meant the congregation fasted for 40 days so I was always super anxious about how holy books were treated. 

When I was preparing for my Bat Mitzvah, practicing the ritual where you carry the Torah around the congregation was terrifying because I'd been told since I was a little kid that you'd have to fast for 40 days if you dropped it. Torah scrolls are really, really heavy!

And yeah, I'll never get marking up the book itself. When I prepped for my Bat Mitzvah, I did mark up photocopies of my Torah portion to note where to start/stop, transliterate some words, make some notations for chanting, etc., but I wouldn't dream of making notes in even a Tanakh you could get at Barnes and Noble. And I'm not even very religious.

21 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

I'm not religious but the teachings are strongly ingrained an early age. We revere the Torah and holy books and have rituals to show this reverence. We don't even touch the Torah, there is a special pointer used to avoid touching it while reading. If you drop a prayer book (non Torah but still holy) on the floor you are supposed to kiss it upon picking it up. There is a point in services where the Torah is passed around and everyone touches their prayer book to it to make them more holy. Or something like that.

I've studied photocopies of biblical passages for classes and that doesn't feel the same. If there is no Hebrew, it's a photocopy and only a passage it feels okay. Although making sure god is written as G-d would make it more acceptable to write on the copies or "disrespect" the text from my very minimal understanding of Judaism. But the idea of writing in an actual book that is meant to be holy feels completely wrong.

I don't know about Catholics, but Protestants aren't taught the actual Bible is holy/sacred. As in they aren't taught the physical pages are. Marking in a Bible helps one understand texts and memorize verses. There's also a million translations in English alone, so it's much more casual. 

On 7/27/2017 at 3:57 PM, VelociRapture said:

IMG_1505.thumb.PNG.3e74299eb8ab1592eb32e6460987d4b6.PNG

Brooklyn is looking much happier and more awake. Nice to see that cute little grin. :) 

@OyToTheVeyI took a New Testament as Lit course in college. Our professor encouraged us to mark up our Bibles so we could study better on our own. It's easier to remember what important points were made in a passage if it's right there. I'm guessing the same would be true for people like the Bateses and Duggars?

Maybe they have an IV in her foot?

My son came back from once,from surgery ,as a toddler,with an IV in his neck.Sometimes,I believe they infiltrate,and they have to find another location.

On 28/07/2017 at 9:14 PM, Illmarryyoujana said:

I don't know about Catholics, but Protestants aren't taught the actual Bible is holy/sacred. As in they aren't taught the physical pages are. Marking in a Bible helps one understand texts and memorize verses. There's also a million translations in English alone, so it's much more casual. 

That's a sweeping generalisation that may be true for some Protestant denominations. 

However, many Protestant denominations teach the the Bible as sacred scripture, above the realm of other books 

2 hours ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

That's a sweeping generalisation that may be true for some Protestant denominations. 

However, many Protestant denominations teach the the Bible as sacred scripture, above the realm of other books 

But do they teach that the actual, physical Bible is a sacred object? I've never come across a protestant denomination with that teaching, but  obviously I can believe that they're out there. Do you know of any examples?

12 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

But do they teach that the actual, physical Bible is a sacred object? I've never come across a protestant denomination with that teaching, but  obviously I can believe that they're out there. Do you know of any examples?

When I lived with Free Presbyterians, they always had two bibles. They told me one was their study Bible, which included notes pages (they were huge) and they highlighted/annotated. Then they had a 'proper' Bible which they would read from but wouldn't dare make a mark on, they also said they would never put it on the floor and transported it with them in a handbag or special box as they wouldn't pack it with other luggage because it is 'God's word and shouldn't be disrespected' 

25 minutes ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

When I lived with Free Presbyterians, they always had two bibles. They told me one was their study Bible, which included notes pages (they were huge) and they highlighted/annotated. Then they had a 'proper' Bible which they would read from but wouldn't dare make a mark on, they also said they would never put it on the floor and transported it with them in a handbag or special box as they wouldn't pack it with other luggage because it is 'God's word and shouldn't be disrespected' 

That's fascinating, thank you! 

can I OT for a second 

Apparently the Paines daughter had an infection in her finger and was hospitalized 

um not to be silly but they constantly take photos of the child on the grass sitting with nothing in between her and the grass - perhaps a tic bit the finger? 

so I would suggest put a blanket on the ground 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived