IGNORED

Trump 13: More Scandal, More Fun. Yay! :/

Destiny

6 hours ago, sawasdee said:

*snipped*

The UK is BY NO MEANS perfect, but this I do think is handled more fairly.

1. We don't use machines. We use paper ballots. You can register to vote online. When on the electoral roll, you receive a postcard through the mail, which you produce at the polling station, and are then given your voting slip.

All those on the ballot may have observers at every polling station, and they may accompany the sealed ballot boxes to the place where the votes are to be counted. Again, observers from all on the ballot may attend.

It's a very simple system, and I don't think has changed since we first had the secret ballot in 1872. It is also not too vulnerable to any outside interference.

2.Our campaigns are very short - usually three weeks. We don't have primaries. There are strict limits on how much an individual candidate may spend, and exceeding them will lead to a bye election. The amount may vary according to factors such as geographical size of constituency, size of electorate, etc. Admittedly, we only vote for our local candidate in national elections - not our Prime Minister, who, depending on party, is elected by Members of Parliament, Party members, and in the case of the Labour Party, trade unions affiliated to the party. However, we do usually know the leader BEFORE the election - so we sort of know what we are getting! (And there is a Party Manifesto - I once saw Margaret Thatcher's Conservative Party Manifesto shelved with fairy tales in an Edinburgh bookstore...)

There are no paid TV commercials. Rather, each party gets a certain amount of free air time on both tv and radio - Party Political Broadcasts - typically in ten minute segments.  This does at least allow for policies to be explained more than in a 60 second commercial - but I'm afraid for a lot of Brits it's time to go and make a cup of tea....* They have to hold at least one seat in a regional, national or the European Parliament to qualify for this airtime.

There is also spending by the central party on billboards, newspapers, the internet etc - but for the party as a whole, not individual candidates. Donations over UKP7,500 must be declared.

This means that money does not play as great a role, and that corporate and union donations are easily visible.

It ain't perfect. But I think the abbreviated campaign, the caps on spending and the confidence in the transparency of the count help lead to a relatively higher turnout than the US - turnout, not burnout!

(I couldn't live with your more than a year presidential primaries/elections, and then congress only two years later - no wonder so many get completely bored with politics if they are not initially engaged!

ETA Sorry for the wall o' text!

*A study once showed that water usage increased enormously as a Party Political Broadcast came on - as the nation went to the loo and filled the kettle!

That's pretty funny.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Historians generally mention the administrations of Ulysses Grant and Warren Harding as being the most filled by corrupt cronies. Trump's administration will make them look like Pius Sunday School teachers!

Thing with Grant is that he actually tried to do a good job, particularly in the area of civil rights.  Unlike der Trumpenführer, who's spent the past couple months trying to turn back the clock to 1850.

"Trump has a secret backup plan to kill Obamacare. It’s actually brilliant."

The GOP drive to destroy Obamacare took another hit Thursday morning, when conservative Sen. Tom Cotton tweeted that the House GOP repeal-and-replace bill is probably dead on arrival in the Senate. Cotton even called on his House colleagues to “start over.” The Arkansas Republican is an ally of Trump — who favors the GOP bill — so this is somewhat significant.

But fear not: If the GOP repeal drive does fail in Congress, Trump has a secret, backup plan to kill the Affordable Care Act. And it’s actually a pretty good plan, if you view it from the point of view of Trump and many Republicans.

CNN reports on Trump’s clever new scheme:

In an Oval Office meeting featuring several leaders of conservative groups already lining up against the House Republican plan to repeal and replace Obamacare, President Donald Trump revealed his plan in the event the GOP effort fails: Allow Obamcare to fail and let Democrats take the blame, sources at the gathering told CNN.

If you think about it, this actually makes sense. If the law survives, Trump can spend the next couple of years claiming that it is collapsing all around us — or rather that it continues to collapse, since it is already collapsing as we speak. And Republican voters will of course believe that this is the case, since it is an unshakable truism for them that the law has already failed in spectacular fashion.

Meanwhile, conservatives in Congress will say the same thing. As one GOP aide put it to me this morning: “Many conservatives believe Obamacare already failed, so we’ll echo him.”

The beauty of this outcome is that it would keep intact an arrangement that has worked quite well for Republicans for years: They can continue to rail at the evils of the ACA, without having to deal with the fallout of it actually being repealed.

Meanwhile, it’s not crazy to imagine that conservatives might prefer for the current repeal effort to fail, at least in its current form. As Jonathan Chait notes, if it goes through, the GOP will have given its philosophical stamp of approval to government spending and regulating, albeit in a more limited form. If the public responds with outrage at the lost coverage, there could be a push to restore it — and this battle would unfold on philosophical turf that the GOP has already ceded. Indeed, this is likely a key reason conservatives want the current bill to fail. And needless to say, if it does fail, and the ACA lives on, conservatives can continue to say it’s a horrific failure — no matter what actually happens — thus proving them right about the folly of government efforts to expand coverage.

Now, obviously, many Republicans — and Trump — almost certainly prefer for the current bill to pass. Trump hates losing, and Republicans don’t want their voters to see them fail to deliver the glorious moment of liberation they have anticipated for years. But if they do fail to deliver, Trump’s backup plan has its virtues, too.

That's an interesting thought. Have the repeal fail, let the Repubs whine, and we can push for better representation in 2018.

Another lawsuit: "Wine bar owners sue President Trump, saying D.C. hotel unfairly takes away business"

At Cork Wine Bar, owners Khalid Pitts and Diane Gross host corporate dinners, political fundraisers, embassy receptions and an array of other events for clients looking for a casually elegant setting offering more than 200 wines from around the world.

But the couple contend their Logan Circle business would be better off if not for a new player in town who they claim is operating with an unfair and illegal advantage: President Donald Trump, owner of the $212 million Trump International Hotel he opened last fall.

With support from a legal team headlined by the co-founder of Ralph Nader’s advocacy group, Gross and Pitts sued Trump and his D.C. hotel company Wednesday in Superior Court, alleging that the president’s continued ownership of the hotel constitutes unfair competition that damages their business.

“We have events we do here for elected officials, nonprofits, foreign dignitaries, the World Bank, law firms,” Gross said. “Those folks are now being courted to come and want to go there because they see it as advantageous to them to curry favor with the president.”

Gross and Pitts seek no damages but rather an order barring Trump’s D.C. hotel business from operating while President Trump owns it. Attorneys are representing the couple on a pro bono basis and include Alan B. Morrison, dean of public interest law at George Washington University and co-founder, with Ralph Nader, of the Public Citizen Litigation Group in 1972.

Of course, Cheeto's kids are saying the lawsuit is "a publicity stunt". Um, yeah, right. I hope it goes forward.

7 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

That's an interesting thought. Have the repeal fail, let the Repubs whine, and we can push for better representation in 2018.

Haven't they cut funding to ACA already so that they can ensure it fails? Or am I misunderstanding it all? That would be a super evil plan, though. After years of claiming it is failing, do things to cause it to fail and then stand back and say "See, we told you."

7 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

if it goes through, the GOP will have given its philosophical stamp of approval to government spending and regulating, albeit in a more limited form. If the public responds with outrage at the lost coverage, there could be a push to restore it — and this battle would unfold on philosophical turf that the GOP has already ceded. Indeed, this is likely a key reason conservatives want the current bill to fail.

As much as I despise this bill, I do wonder if passing it will be the best thing in the long run, because then the Republicans will have to accept the blame and losing coverage would cause lots and lots of people to hate them. 

3 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Haven't they cut funding to ACA already so that they can ensure it fails? Or am I misunderstanding it all? That would be a super evil plan, though. After years of claiming it is failing, do things to cause it to fail and then stand back and say "See, we told you."

As much as I despise this bill, I do wonder if passing it will be the best thing in the long run, because then the Republicans will have to accept the blame and losing coverage would cause lots and lots of people to hate them. 

I'm kind of lost with all the funding -- there's just so many things flying about. And, you know as well as I do that when TrumpedupRyanCareless fails, they will still blame Obama. They'll say that if they didn't have to "fix" the ACA, they could have come up with a "better" plan from scratch. Of course, we know that would not be true, but the Branch Trumpvidians will swallow it.

Interesting article: "This climate lawsuit could change everything. No wonder the Trump administration doesn’t want it going to trial" The article begins:

A groundbreaking climate lawsuit, brought against the federal government by 21 children, has been hailed by environmentalists as a bold new strategy to press for climate action in the United States. But the Trump administration, which has pledged to undo Barack Obama’s climate regulations, is doing its best to make sure the case doesn’t get far.

The Trump administration this week filed a motion to overturn a ruling by a federal judge back in November that cleared the lawsuit for trial — and filed a separate motion to delay trial preparation until that appeal is considered.

The lawsuit — the first of its kind — argues the federal government has violated the constitutional right of the 21 plaintiffs to a healthy climate system.

Environmental groups say the case — if it’s successful — could force even a reluctant government to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and take other measures to counter warming.

“It would be huge,” said Pat Gallagher, legal director at the Sierra Club, who is not involved in the case. “It would upend climate litigation, climate law, as we know it.”

Old(er) posters: I keep reading in the comments of articles and on Reddit that many people are seriously worried about civil war. Have these concerns been as prominent in the past? 

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/03/little-noticed-house-republican-bill-would-let-employers-demand-workers-genetic-test-results/

A little-noticed bill moving through Congress would allow companies to require employees to undergo genetic testing or risk paying a penalty of thousands of dollars, and would let employers see that genetic and other health information.

Rigorous studies by researchers not tied to the $8 billion wellness industry have shown that the programs improve employee health little if at all. An industry group recently concluded that they save so little on medical costs that, on average, the programs lose money. But employers continue to embrace them, partly as a way to shift more health care costs to workers, including by penalizing them financially.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/03/msnbc-host-needs-just-12-seconds-to-crush-republican-upset-about-men-paying-for-prenatal-care/

Yes, Rep. Shimkus is a Republican.

21 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

Least likely to hurt my child? Oh fuck no. I don't want him with in 4,000 miles of my kid.  Sadly we live closer than that.

Yes, I cringe when I see him near children. 

I was saying that as an example because I work with children. I assume my employers would be pretty alarmed if I said that to them, since presumably, they leave their children in my care because they already believe that. 

I like to assume that people are not racist, sexist, or anti-semitic. But when you tell me you're the LEAST, it pretty much tells me you're 100% racist, sexist, and anti-semitic. You know? It baffles me that he doesn't realize those statements just make him look even more like whatever he's so vehemently denying. Ugh. 

19 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

My oldest niece who is very active in peace groups and conflict negations  especially an open dialog between Israel and Palestine is livid over this. She is studying international relations at her University and she likened shit stain's son-in-law and this ambassador POS to the Kapos.  Kapos were Jewish guards in the camps who basically acted as guards.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kapo_(concentration_camp)

Remember the first time he did this and the court of appeals gave him a smack down?  I'LL SEE YOU IN COURT. he cried his big orange crocodile tears.  Didn't he know that they ARE the court?  It really is scary how he acts w hen  he doesn't get his way.  Like with the ACA and the next fiscal year's budget.  He does not get that he can't have 100% of what he wants.  There is a process.  I have a feeling he is just going to rule by executive order only.  He won't send anything to congress or let them work on any bills.

It is scary. I shudder to think how be behaves privately when he doesn't get his way. His Twitter tantrums are already, well, tantrums. Can you imagine what the people closest to him go through when he's throwing a fit? And he has nuclear codes. That sends shivers up my spine. Really. When you let that sink in for a minute, it's fucking unnerving, to say the least. 

And I'm still unable to form coherent sentences about Trumpcare and Ryancare. :angry-banghead: Fuck the swear jar. It's going to be a deadly fucking shit circus. 

Mar-a-Lago: Questions about membership applications since Trump elected are ‘inappropriate’, says resort

President Donald Trump has visited the luxury Floridian retreat of Mar-a-Lago every weekend since he came into office, discussing matters of national security with foreign leaders in front of other diners in between rounds of golf.

According to the Palm Beach Post, Trump has spent 242 hours in the Sunshine State thus far, almost 23 percent of his time as president.

Trump’s weekend sojourns, which Politico has estimated cost taxpayers $3 million per trip, have caused Mar-a-Lago membership fees to double from $100,000 to $200,000, as America’s wealthy clamours for a seat at, or at least near, the table.

We telephoned the club this week to try and find out how many applications for membership had been filed since Trump took office and how this compares to previous years.

“That’s an inappropriate question and that information is private,” said Executive Administrative Assistant Gloria Myers. Pressed as to why this issue is not in the public interest, Ms Myers replied: “I don’t have time for a question like that.”

Right. They don't have time to discuss an issue that is in the public interest. Because it's not about the public interest, it's about mo' money in the Tangerine Toddler's till. Public be damned!

2 hours ago, mrs said:

Old(er) posters: I keep reading in the comments of articles and on Reddit that many people are seriously worried about civil war. Have these concerns been as prominent in the past? 

I remember a bunch of NRA lovers having a hissy when Obama was elected and threatening to secede from the US, but it seemed to be a relatively small number of crazed right-wingers. Also, the divisions were pretty strong in 2000 when many (including yours truly) felt that SCOTUS wrongly gave the presidency to W. This time seems far worse. People seem very entrenched and don't want to listen. I understand, because I have zero desire to try and understand or reason with someone I feel is racist, misogynist, or just plain crazy. I hate to sound harsh, but this time, it's not a shades of grey kind of thing, we're talking about the heart and soul of our country. I can't stand that the US is being seen internationally as a bunch of idiots who voted for a tangerine toddler. Do I think there is going to be an actual civil war with guns/military? Probably not. Do I think there is going to be a virtual war? Sadly, I think we're in it.

2 hours ago, JMarie said:

This scares the daylights out of me. I have steadfastly refused to do the tests my insurance company pushes for "wellness" because my BFF did it and the results ended up biting her in the backside. This is a person who has never been overweight. However, their figures indicated she was five pounds over her "ideal", so she had six months to lose the five pounds or pay a penalty on her insurance premiums. Her husband was penalized because he couldn't get his cholesterol below a certain level. I said fuck that. However, if this becomes a law, I have NO doubt that my company will insist on it. Off to call my House Rep.

I see that the South Korean President has been ousted.

cnn.com/2017/03/10/asia/south-korea-president-park-geun-hye-impeachment/index.html

South Korea has been plunged into a period of political uncertainty after the President, Park Geun-hye, was forced out of office by a corruption scandal.

The country's Constitutional Court upheld a parliamentary vote to impeach Park over allegations of corruption and cronyism. She becomes the country's first democratically elected leader to be forcibly removed.

Two died amid chaotic scenes in the capital, Seoul. Thousands demonstrated after the unanimous decision by eight judges was read out down in a live broadcast that gripped the nation.

The decision brings the career of South Korea's first female president to an inglorious end. It also comes at a pivotal moment for the region, as North Korea ramps up its nuclear weapons testing program.

I wonder how far off the day is that a similar story is posted on CNN about Agent Orange?

That is so frighting @GreyhoundFan because when I didn't read the article originally and just saw the title and didn't understand the point of genetic testing. It's also another sure way for insurance premiums for everyone which I wonder if it did happen if orange asshole will finally wake up? 

Also today in "What dumb shit did Spicy do in his Press Conference?" day,

Spoiler

He also had his flag pin upside down (aka signal of distress). This video actually really bothers me because a. Trump still hasn't done anything positive job wise and I'm assuming/thinking it's still from Obama's era. and B. that WHPC is laughing. Some people said that they were laughing at him, but I took it more as why are people laughing about how our President still doesn't believe in the media. Another idea that I saw on twitter is a reporter talking about how when something seriously goes down that they want citizens to take serious, many won't because many of us don't trust this administration.

9 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I'm kind of lost with all the funding -- there's just so many things flying about. And, you know as well as I do that when TrumpedupRyanCareless fails, they will still blame Obama. They'll say that if they didn't have to "fix" the ACA, they could have come up with a "better" plan from scratch. Of course, we know that would not be true, but the Branch Trumpvidians will swallow it.

Interesting article: "This climate lawsuit could change everything. No wonder the Trump administration doesn’t want it going to trial" The article begins:

So if I am reading this right,  Pruitt who has sued the EPA, is now himself being sued as he heads the EPA. 

4 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I remember a bunch of NRA lovers having a hissy when Obama was elected and threatening to secede from the US, but it seemed to be a relatively small number of crazed right-wingers. Also, the divisions were pretty strong in 2000 when many (including yours truly) felt that SCOTUS wrongly gave the presidency to W. This time seems far worse. People seem very entrenched and don't want to listen. I understand, because I have zero desire to try and understand or reason with someone I feel is racist, misogynist, or just plain crazy. I hate to sound harsh, but this time, it's not a shades of grey kind of thing, we're talking about the heart and soul of our country. I can't stand that the US is being seen internationally as a bunch of idiots who voted for a tangerine toddler. Do I think there is going to be an actual civil war with guns/military? Probably not. Do I think there is going to be a virtual war? Sadly, I think we're in it.

This scares the daylights out of me. I have steadfastly refused to do the tests my insurance company pushes for "wellness" because my BFF did it and the results ended up biting her in the backside. This is a person who has never been overweight. However, their figures indicated she was five pounds over her "ideal", so she had six months to lose the five pounds or pay a penalty on her insurance premiums. Her husband was penalized because he couldn't get his cholesterol below a certain level. I said fuck that. However, if this becomes a law, I have NO doubt that my company will insist on it. Off to call my House Rep.

I'm sure many of the orange stain's zombies will get fired because of forced genetic testing.  Yet, they will STILL not get it.  I know it is early barely two months, but will any of them ever get how much they hare screwed themselves by voting for him?

22 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

That is so frighting @GreyhoundFan because when I didn't read the article originally and just saw the title and didn't understand the point of genetic testing. It's also another sure way for insurance premiums for everyone which I wonder if it did happen if orange asshole will finally wake up?

I know, it terrifies me because we won't have the protection of the ACA. I called my Congressman's office. He's reliably Democrat. The person who answered the phone said they've been hearing from constituents on this and many other things. It's just crazy that, in the past, something like this would have been front page news, but with the insanity of the toddler and his sycophants, stuff like this gets lost in the shuffle.

Interesting: "The mystery of Donald Trump and the New Jersey cemetery"

In rural New Jersey, the president’s business has proposed an unusual real estate project.

It wants to build a cemetery.

Or maybe not. Or maybe two.

According to plans filed with local and state authorities, the Trump Organization has proposed to build a pair of graveyards at the site of its tony Trump National Bedminster golf course.

One would be small, 10 plots overlooking the first hole. It was intended — or so they said — for Trump and his family. “Mr. Trump . . . specifically chose this property for his final resting place as it is his favorite property,” his company wrote in a filing with the state in 2014.

The other proposed cemetery would have 284 lots for sale to the public. There, buyers could pay for a kind of eternal membership in Trump’s club — even if it isn’t clear Trump himself would ever join them.

President Trump already has a family burial plot: his parents and his brother Fred are buried together at All Faiths Cemetery in Queens.

So it was a surprise, back in 2007, when Trump announced he wanted a mausoleum for himself in New Jersey.

“It’s never something you like to think about, but it makes sense,” Trump told the New York Post. He was 60 years old at the time. “This is such beautiful land, and Bedminster is one of the richest places in the country.”

The plan was big: 19 feet high. Stone. Obelisks. Set smack in the middle of the golf course. In Bedminster — a wealthy horse-country town 43 miles west of New York City — officials had some concerns about hosting a reality TV star’s tomb. The huge structure would seem garish, out of place. And there were ongoing worries that the spot might become an “attractive nuisance,” tempting curiosity-seekers to trespass on club grounds.

Trump offered a concession.

The tomb would be versatile.

It could also be a festive wedding . . . tomb.

“We’re planning a mausoleum/chapel,” Trump said, according to a news report from the time.

That didn’t do it.

“Give me a break. Give me a break,” Holtaway, the town official, remembered thinking. “Why would anyone ever get married in a building with no windows?”

Okay, aside from the giggle about who the hell would want to get married in a mausoleum entombing the tangerine toddler, I wonder about his motives. The article goes into the excessive back and forth he's done about this plan for years.

Just a reminder that the time change is this weekend:

24 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I know, it terrifies me because we won't have the protection of the ACA. I called my Congressman's office. He's reliably Democrat. The person who answered the phone said they've been hearing from constituents on this and many other things. It's just crazy that, in the past, something like this would have been front page news, but with the insanity of the toddler and his sycophants, stuff like this gets lost in the shuffle.

Okay, aside from the giggle about who the hell would want to get married in a mausoleum entombing the tangerine toddler, I wonder about his motives. The article goes into the excessive back and forth he's done about this plan for years.

This is a stupid idea. Wouldn't the headstones eventually get damaged from all of the golf balls flying around? Wouldn't family members get upset when they go to visit, and some golfer is rooting around Great-Granny's tombstone trying to find their ball? No, no, no!

10 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

This is a stupid idea. Wouldn't the headstones eventually get damaged from all of the golf balls flying around? Wouldn't family members get upset when they go to visit, and some golfer is rooting around Great-Granny's tombstone trying to find their ball? No, no, no!

Oh, c'mon @Cartmann99, when have any of Agent Orange's ideas NOT been stupid? This is just part for the course (pun intended). I just had to laugh about the concept of getting married in his mausoleum. No, just no. I wonder if he's going to have multiple family plots and have himself buried with the branch that is in favor at the time of his demise?

38 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I just had to laugh about the concept of getting married in his mausoleum

I'm sure there are people, like horror movie fans for instance, who might think it would be cool to get married in a mausoleum. That said, I highly doubt that those folks would want to get married in a mausoleum associated with Trump. :8U:

There is a cemetery chapel up in the Twin Cities that's popular for weddings.

http://www.lakewoodcemetery.com/Weddings.html

But yeah, there is no way in fornicating perdition that I would want to get married anywhere that has anything to do with the Orange Fornicate Face.

Bad news for those who gained coverage because of the Medicaid expansion:

I just saw this

Yeah that dumb orange shit gibbon sure surrounds himself with the finest people;

thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/boris-epshteyn-assault-arrest-473920

A White House aide known for his combative behavior was once arrested for sucker punching a smaller man during a bar dispute, an attack that left the victim bloodied and resulted in the assailant being sentenced to attend anger management classes, according to police and court records.

Boris Epshteyn, a special assistant to President Donald Trump, was busted by Arizona cops in January 2014 after walloping another patron during a 2:25 AM confrontation at a Scottsdale nightspot. Epshteyn, 6’ 4” and 275 pounds, attacked a man seven inches shorter and about 70 pounds lighter than him, cops reported.

Epshteyn, 34, pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor assault charge and was sentenced to attend counseling, perform 25 hours of community service, and pay about $360 in fines and court costs. He was also barred from having contact with the victim or returning to Whiskey Row, the business where he was arrested.

Seen in the above Scottsdale Police Department mug shot, Epshteyn is a special assistant to the president in charge of overseeing White House officials and surrogates appearing on TV on behalf of the Trump administration. In a Politico story this week, Epshteyn, who was born in Moscow, is portrayed as a coarse Trump advocate who has frequently offended network bookers and made comments that have been "interpreted as racially insensitive and demeaning.”

On 9/3/2017 at 10:49 PM, onekidanddone said:

My oldest niece who is very active in peace groups and conflict negations  especially an open dialog between Israel and Palestine is livid over this. She is studying international relations at her University and she likened shit stain's son-in-law and this ambassador POS to the Kapos.  Kapos were Jewish guards in the camps who basically acted as guards.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kapo_(concentration_camp)

I just wanted to point out that the vast majority of kapós weren't Jewish. In the concentration camps there weren't just Jewish prisoners but also pows, political opponents, gays, gipsies, JWs, various undesirables and common criminals too. Common criminals (often murderers and sociopaths) were the first choice for kapós, because they already were the scum of society and had little moral qualms, they were given power over the innocents. This was one of many wicked psychological moves to crush people's spirits. With the kapós system Nazis could efficiently run the camps with a comparatively small number of SS guards. In hindsight it's clear that without the collaboration of kapós the camps wouldn't have been what they were.

Anyway Jewish kapós were selected only for lack of more suitable prisoners. Political opponents and pows too weren't considered good material for the kapó system because they were sworn enemies with strong ideological motivations that couldn't be trusted.

I wanted to point it out because this is an argument that often comes from the mouth of Holocaust deniers and history revisionists. These people often make more of less veiled remarks about Jews killing each others. In hindsight it's clear that Judenräte helped organising the deportations but at the time the elders believed that collaboration could help mitigating their people's situation.  It didn't but they couldn't have imagined the extent of Nazis systematic evilness.

2 hours ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

I just wanted to point out that the vast majority of kapós weren't Jewish. In the concentration camps there weren't just Jewish prisoners but also pows, political opponents, gays, gipsies, JWs, various undesirables and common criminals too. Common criminals (often murderers and sociopaths) were the first choice for kapós, because they already were the scum of society and had little moral qualms, they were given power over the innocents. This was one of many wicked psychological moves to crush people's spirits. With the kapós system Nazis could efficiently run the camps with a comparatively small number of SS guards. In hindsight it's clear that without the collaboration of kapós the camps wouldn't have been what they were.

Anyway Jewish kapós were selected only for lack of more suitable prisoners. Political opponents and pows too weren't considered good material for the kapó system because they were sworn enemies with strong ideological motivations that couldn't be trusted.

I wanted to point it out because this is an argument that often comes from the mouth of Holocaust deniers and history revisionists. These people often make more of less veiled remarks about Jews killing each others. In hindsight it's clear that Judenräte helped organising the deportations but at the time the elders believed that collaboration could help mitigating their people's situation.  It didn't but they couldn't have imagined the extent of Nazis systematic evilness.

This is all very interesting....I know what I'm studying this afternoon!  Thank you @laPapessaGiovanna and @onekidanddone

13 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Sounds to me like it was one of those passing fancies that Trump is prone to.  Probably wouldn't have gone anywhere until officials started fighting it.  Trump HATES when he can't get his way.  Even if he decided he didn't want to be buried there, he'd still fight for it until his dying day because someone dared to say no to him.  I swear to god, he acts just like my two year old.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived