IGNORED

Post-Rapture Introductions

snarkykitty

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been very concerned about the patriarchy movement for a long time. It has started to infiltrate the branch of Christianity I'm part of. I had direct experience of the Shepherding movement when I was younger and am very alarmed by its re-emergence in the guise of patriarchy

Hello, I am Frumpalicious. I've been lurking around for a while, so I figured I should introduce myself and all that. I'm 21 years old and I live in Texas. I wanted to share one of my "WTF?" moments with y'all.

Before I moved to Texas, I lived in semi-rural South Carolina. I was young, maybe 8 or 9, but I can still remember all of the Bible based woman hating that went on. I was kicked out of Sunday school on a regular basis because I questioned everything that I was told. I was regularly told that all women were inherently sinful. Childbirth is painful to remind women that they are vessels of sin - all stemming from when Eve tempted Adam. Women who had sex before marriage were damaged goods and should never, ever, ever get married. And if they did, it would end in divorce because a husband has a God Given Right to his wife's virginity. A man could never, ever be happy with a "soiled woman". Virginity was something that was especially emphasized for girls. You were somehow less of a person if you gave away your virginity. Even if a girl was raped, it was still her fault for tempting a man. Women who didn't obey their husbands were going to hell along with all of the adulterers (women, because only women can be adulterers), women who had abortions (as well as women who didn't have enough children), and non-Christians.

It was when this was preached that I completely turned away from religion. It still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth because I used to be one of Them. I used to drink the Kool Aid pretty heavily. And then, I learned I could make my own choices. I grabbed it and ran as quickly as I could. Now I'm happy to be called a "dirty feminist". I'm happy to be able to use the brain in my head without feeling dirty or shameful about it.

So, that's my story. I haven't really come out to my family about it, but I'm kind of making my way to it. Is there any way to make it easier?

I thought that was an echo from Michelle's vagina

:lol:

Is it time for the Manny Mota quote from Airplane again?

Oh, and welcome, Lesterpiggot!

Welcome Frumpalicious! I have no interesting story here.

I was a member of the Lutheran church until the age of 16. This was not an active choice (it was a decision my parents made for me). I have never really believed in God. I would ask my friends if they believed in God or Santa Claus. They both seemed as believable to the child-version of me. When I got older I heard and read about how women were considered inferior and how abortion was illegal in Christian parts of the world. I didn't like what I heard. At that time, my oldest little sister decided to go through the rite on confirmation at age 15. I was so mad at her and told her I would not attend. Eventually I decided to attend. Right after my little sister's confirmation I made an active choice about my beliefs. I wrote a letter to the Lutheran church asking to leave. My parent had to sign the letter since I was a minor (16) and my parent did.

My little sister is no longer Christian, even though I later tried to support her (mostly out of guilt). I realized that a person should only make a religious decision for herself, and not try to influence anyone else. It should be a personal decision to make. What you believe is really up to you, and no one else should have a saying in it.

Congratulations on your escape! I have a friend who I met here who left and has some struggles, but is doing well.

Effie, what would have happened if the church said no? Were they going to shackle you to a pew? :) Really though, it's pathetic hat a church thinks members should have to ask for permission to leave.

Congratulations on your escape! I have a friend who I met here who left and has some struggles, but is doing well.

Effie, what would have happened if the church said no? Were they going to shackle you to a pew? :) Really though, it's pathetic hat a church thinks members should have to ask for permission to leave.

I assumed by "asked to leave" she meant more along the lines of "asked to be taken off the membership rolls (and maybe mailing lists)".

I live in Europe so I've just woken up to the messages welcoming me here, thanks :) My story is complicated, I'll give the potted version. I grew up in a very devout Catholic family. I have believed in God all my life. In my teens I started to read the bible and became fascinated with Jesus. I moved to the city and found a church to go to. The early years were great as we were trying to build the church together. As time passed a period I and my friends refer to as " The Madness" came. Shepherding took hold among some young Christian people in our city. This was followed by other outbursts of extreme doctrine. The movement I was part of fell apart. Interestingly several healthy churches emerged from the ashes as survivors started again determined not to fall into the same traps. I have remained friends with the original group and we meet up regularly. We are all in different churches now and some, including my husband, no longer go anywhere. We care a lot for each other. I never want to live through "The Madness" again so I try to keep abreast of what is happening in Christian America as I find trends there e.g. patriarchy, eventually waft across the Atlantic to us.

Archived