IGNORED

Post-Rapture Introductions

snarkykitty

I might do the same, since I'm de-lurking and there's already a thread open. So hi: I've been reading for a while, but this is my first comment.

I grew up fundie-lite, though I suspect we were pretty fundie for Australia in the early 80s. My church had a bit of a reputation, and our lives revolved around it (fortunately, though, Homeschooling wasn't much of a thing here). We subscribed to the Ken Ham magazines, our minister taught children should live at home until they were married, a whole bunch of stuff. We left that church when I was about 12 and went somewhat more mainstream.

l bought it all, and was super involved til I was about 21, when over time, the gap between the grace taught by the church and what I saw in people's lives became increasingly apparent. It all came to a head for me on my 21st birthday- I'd spent a couple of months giving myself a break from church, hoping it might reinvigorate my faith, and my godparents decided to send me an email with the effective message "Happy Birthday, you're going to hell" due to the couple of months w/o church attendance. They continued the annual message until my Dad asked them to stop.

That was all a while ago, but I've been thinking a lot about it recently- which is how I wound up here. Mostly because, when I was younger, I was probably more drawn to the Fundie stuff than my parents- I was always a bit more extreme then them- and I kind of consider it a very narrow escape. If I'd married young (which I desperately wanted) and submitted to a headship (which, again, I desperately wanted), who knows what my life would be like now. Instead, I'm a drinking, hard-working, money-earning feminist with a Masters degree, a string of boyfriends, and no plans to procreate anytime soon. Which might not be right for most people, but it's certainly right for me at the moment.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm new here too :D

I was never a fundie (or an almost fundie) but I was raised in a Christian home. My mom was actually quite liberal - she was the one who gently explained to me what pro-choice is all about giving people a choice for their lives and their bodies after I went on some crazy pro-life rant when I was a teenager. She also was a strong woman and was the head of our household - I think this is one of the reason that these families make me cringe. I would hate to raise my daughter to think that her only worth is how many babies she can pop out.

But my mom passed away 9 years ago, and my dad is getting more and more fundie-ish. I can't talk politics with him at all anymore and I tend to ignore some of the other things he says because the man has no filter at all.

Hi :)

I'm also new here. I'm not, nor have I ever been raised to be, a fundie or any religion at all. But I recently moved to Dugger territory from Los Angeles and I'm frankly finding the whole experience rather unnerving. It's nice to see I'm not the only one who finds it all utterly inappropriate.

Also new...having jumped out of lurkdom for the the last few months.

I wasn't raised fundie; came out of a Lutheran home with fairly strong religious parents. Had the experience of seeing my cousin and a few friends go completely fundie and it was an experience to watch. Also went to a college run by a fairly conservative evangelical church; it's loosened up now but at the time, they were still getting over the idea of people dancing.

I keep meaning to do this, I guess someone beat me too it :p, I keep forgetting my password

I started reading here because I wanted to see just how " snarky" you guys were after hearing crazy stuff on the TLC and discovery boards. When the moderating got too heavy on those two boards I switched over here.

Which reminds does anyone here post or used to post on TLC or discovery and what was your username, I am

4-hgirl09 over there.

I'm guessing the awesome bacon cake!

Why, I would be thrilled. If an FJcon happens, or someone is REALLY in need, I will send bacon cake.

Welcome all. So many lurking guests: come out, come out whomever you are!

I'm new as well! :D

I grew up (I guess you can say that I am growing up as I only turned 18 a few months ago.) in an nonreligious household. Both my parents were raised baptist christian, not fundamentalist, but the crazy can be strong in black churches and they were really turned off by it, so they never pushed my sister or myself in any direction as far as religion and always encouraged us intellectually. I can still remember my dad inviting the Jehovah's Witnesses into the house on Sunday mornings to debate with them. :lol: The Duggars were my gateway fundies- I remember watching their Discovery channel specials with my mom and just thinking that they were weirdos before I found out what was really up. I stumbled across this forum while google searching after the whole Jubilee fiasco, and I've been lurking ever since!

Why, I would be thrilled. If an FJcon happens, or someone is REALLY in need, I will send bacon cake.

Welcome all. So many lurking guests: come out, come out whomever you are!

Oh my gosh - FJCon. That should happen one day.

We can even have presentations. I'm anticipating "Makaziville Enemy Number One with MVFriend001" and "The Finer Points of Snarking". Oh, and one on digging up all the property & tax documents on our favorite fundies. I know we have a few here who are good at that.

I might do the same, since I'm de-lurking and there's already a thread open. So hi: I've been reading for a while, but this is my first comment.

I grew up fundie-lite, though I suspect we were pretty fundie for Australia in the early 80s. My church had a bit of a reputation, and our lives revolved around it (fortunately, though, Homeschooling wasn't much of a thing here). We subscribed to the Ken Ham magazines, our minister taught children should live at home until they were married, a whole bunch of stuff. We left that church when I was about 12 and went somewhat more mainstream.

l bought it all, and was super involved til I was about 21, when over time, the gap between the grace taught by the church and what I saw in people's lives became increasingly apparent. It all came to a head for me on my 21st birthday- I'd spent a couple of months giving myself a break from church, hoping it might reinvigorate my faith, and my godparents decided to send me an email with the effective message "Happy Birthday, you're going to hell" due to the couple of months w/o church attendance. They continued the annual message until my Dad asked them to stop.

That was all a while ago, but I've been thinking a lot about it recently- which is how I wound up here. Mostly because, when I was younger, I was probably more drawn to the Fundie stuff than my parents- I was always a bit more extreme then them- and I kind of consider it a very narrow escape. If I'd married young (which I desperately wanted) and submitted to a headship (which, again, I desperately wanted), who knows what my life would be like now. Instead, I'm a drinking, hard-working, money-earning feminist with a Masters degree, a string of boyfriends, and no plans to procreate anytime soon. Which might not be right for most people, but it's certainly right for me at the moment.

I lurve you. You sound like Gil, from "Frasier." Please don't take that badly. I mean to say, I like you. Welcome. I'm considered new here, based on post-counts, but the more-the-merrier. Or whatever. :dance:

I'm new here too! I'm a college student in Michigan. I was raised as a Catholic who went to church about once a month. I have been fascinated with the Duggars for years now. I have always leaned toward pretty conservative Christianity, but certainly not by Fundie standards. I get frustrated at people like the Duggars who make the rest of us look crazy and uneducated!

I would be fine with letting God decide how and when I have my kids when I'm financially ready, but if he gives me more than 6 I think I'll cut him off. I dress modestly compared to most girls in college, which doesn't say all that much, but still. Homeschooling my children would be fun, but I'd rather them be well educated. Staying at home under my father's authority until I get married sounds like hell to me. The very liberal university I attend is the best thing that's ever happened to me.

That being said, I am extremely fond of all of the Duggar children. I think they are very sweet kids and I'm hoping for all of them to get out of that crazy home. Likewise with other Fundie families I've been reading about.

So that's just a little bit about me! I feel like I'm a little different than the average FJer, but am really enjoying this site!

I'm new here too! I'm a college student in Michigan. I was raised as a Catholic who went to church about once a month. I have been fascinated with the Duggars for years now. I have always leaned toward pretty conservative Christianity, but certainly not by Fundie standards. I get frustrated at people like the Duggars who make the rest of us look crazy and uneducated!

I would be fine with letting God decide how and when I have my kids when I'm financially ready, but if he gives me more than 6 I think I'll cut him off. I dress modestly compared to most girls in college, which doesn't say all that much, but still. Homeschooling my children would be fun, but I'd rather them be well educated. Staying at home under my father's authority until I get married sounds like hell to me. The very liberal university I attend is the best thing that's ever happened to me.

That being said, I am extremely fond of all of the Duggar children. I think they are very sweet kids and I'm hoping for all of them to get out of that crazy home. Likewise with other Fundie families I've been reading about.

So that's just a little bit about me! I feel like I'm a little different than the average FJer, but am really enjoying this site!

You sound a lot like me, I totally agree about fundies making all Christians look stupid

I was thinking about writing a post about that but I still a little gun shy after the TLC message boards, I keep expecting to see my posts disappear :?:

I'm a college student working towards a career in early childhood education. I plan on getting my masters in special ed. :dance:

I found the board when it was on it's old server (?) and was really happy I found it again that I had to sign up. :D My friends don't understand my interest in the whole "fundie" thing :lol:

I guess I will pop up and say, "Hi" as well.

I discovered Emily just before the crash and off course FJ because of that. I have never watched a Duggars episode, but found myself shocked people so blindy believed the shtick. I mean if you mentioned money, I heard people talk about "buying used, saving the difference", the car lots, real estate and the cell hone towers, if you mentioned the TLC money, they would on one hand say, but they did fine without it in the past, some even said they really don't get that much, then if you cornered them about buses and trips, they would admit the TLC money helps, but "buying used, saving the difference", they don't really need that money. It was weird how some people want to think they do the show for free, or worse they are just like you and I, but better. :evil: Anyway, a discussion about the Duggars on a Mom board I joined (one that has turned more Fundie as I watched) sent me looking for more information and I refound FJ, I don't remember why I came out of lurking, but eventually I did. Since I mostly visit on my mobile device which I hate to type on, I will mostly still be lurking.

Oh and me, I was raised as a lazy Catholic, who never really believed in Christianity. I started relooking at my beliefs since I had my kid, in my mid 30's for about two seconds I thought about visiting a Christian Church, and FJ and the wackoos on the Mom's board reminded me, why I never got behind Christianity to begin with so now, that shipped has passed. I am reading FJ, to try to find sense in how people can be so lost, and how do they get sucked in? For me it feels a bit like looking at a Meth addict and wondering what made them think, even trying the first hit was a good idea. But then again religion was not a big thing in the single working Mom household I was raised in.

So anyway "Hi!"

I'm a college student working towards a career in early childhood education. I plan on getting my masters in special ed. :dance:

I found the board when it was on it's old server (?) and was really happy I found it again that I had to sign up. :D My friends don't understand my interest in the whole "fundie" thing :lol:

I'm in college too and my friends totally don't understand it!! My roommate thinks I'm nuts and I think my boyfriend just pretends to be interested...

Well, I'm not new exactly, but I only posted a few times at the old place and for the first time here today. I guess I would consider myself fundie-lite. My husband just laughs that I have to read here every day. I try really hard not to be a gossip and I think this is my way of getting juicy info. I also just LOVE listening to debates, although I hate being a part of them.

I'm in college too and my friends totally don't understand it!! My roommate thinks I'm nuts and I think my boyfriend just pretends to be interested...

When I try to tell my boyfriend he always responds with "cool" or "that's awful" but never really cares :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

So, I was watching TV this morning and apparently, Liberty University (a VA school started by Jerry Fallwell in 1971) has started an online division, luonline.com. I've lurked for a few months and when I saw the commercial, I thought I had to share. At least it's accredited, a step up from CollegeMinus, for sure. Still crazy, with its requirement to teach young earth creationism theory in their science classes, but I bet students that graduate from the online program still learn something.

:) HI!

Archived