IGNORED

The Boyer Sisters: Part 4

samurai_sarah

I'm watching the first few minutes of the webinar right now. I'm feeling some serious second-hand embarrassment for these girls, as their first talking point is essential oil frequencies. A quick google pulls up a post from "Essential Oil University" on Facebook (link here - an actual chemist authored this!), debunking the chain letter-like bunk that is harmonics and essential oils. 

They really don't teach any sort of critical thinking or research skills at the SODRT, do they? Or is it that they teach blind faith only... follow the leader... and all that jazz?

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, EmainMacha said:

I'm sorry for your loss @EowynW

Thank you. It's been two years but still is difficult some days. I miss him terribly. I lived close by and had the honor of being his caretaker the last year. Was there every step of the way through everything, up until they drove I'm down the driveway.  Hardest thing I've ever done but I don't regret it. I think I'm still trying to process it & work through little bit of caretaker PTSD or something. I researched it online and some hospice sites said it was normal. Seeing someone die in front of you changes everything  

6 hours ago, charmedforsure said:

They really don't teach any sort of critical thinking or research skills at the SODRT, do they? Or is it that they teach blind faith only... follow the leader... and all that jazz?

These are the same girls who seriously stated that they never use microwaves because (paraphrasing), "Microwaves are really bad! Because, um... well, I don't remember exactly why... but they do bad things to your food and turn it into something that isn't real food!"

So yeah, I don't think critical thinking or research skills were top priority at the SODRT.

17 hours ago, Kariina said:

No, but Charlotte has a new blog post up. Never loose heart, girls.

SOTDRT strikes again.  What a dummy.

13 hours ago, charmedforsure said:

I'm watching the first few minutes of the webinar right now. 

Where did you find the link? 

On 22.7.2017 at 8:31 AM, charmedforsure said:

I'm watching the first few minutes of the webinar right now. I'm feeling some serious second-hand embarrassment for these girls, as their first talking point is essential oil frequencies. 

I also want to know where you satchel it. I koples through the fb pave and their YouTube channels but couldn't find anything. 

17 hours ago, wikinggirl said:

I also want to know where you satchel it. I koples through the fb pave and their YouTube channels but couldn't find anything. 

On 7/22/2017 at 1:07 PM, Kylolo said:

Where did you find the link? 

They sent out a link to it uploaded to Dropbox only if you signed up for their webinar.

Because it isn't public and the whole video isn't available just via online preview on Dropbox... plus I'm not completely sure if I can share a direct link here on FJ (I'm 99% positive it's against FJ policy), I will gladly PM a link to watch it on Youtube.

2 hours ago, charmedforsure said:

Because it isn't public and the whole video isn't available just via online preview on Dropbox... plus I'm not completely sure if I can share a direct link here on FJ (I'm 99% positive it's against FJ policy), I will gladly PM a link to watch it on Youtube.

If it's not against policy, I won't say no to a PM with a link

3 hours ago, charmedforsure said:

They sent out a link to it uploaded to Dropbox only if you signed up for their webinar.

Not sure I follow. Is it a dropbox preview or a Youtube video? If it's a publicly available Youtube video, you can upload it here.

40 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

Not sure I follow. Is it a dropbox preview or a Youtube video? If it's a publicly available Youtube video, you can upload it here.

The direct link that I received in the webinar email is to their private Dropbox (which has a short video preview). Otherwise you have to download the actual video file to your computer to watch the whole thing. 

The Youtube version was me uploading the webinar myself to Youtube. I know FJ frowns on sharing "private" social media, so I didn't want to cross too many lines with sharing a link to something that wasn't readily available to non-participants in the webinar. So YT link available via PM. 

IF that's even a no-no... then no harm, no foul. I'll do a breakdown of what was covered later today. I already have a price breakdown written up because spreadsheets are fun.

1 hour ago, charmedforsure said:

(snip)

The Youtube version was me uploading the webinar myself to Youtube. I know FJ frowns on sharing "private" social media, so I didn't want to cross too many lines with sharing a link to something that wasn't readily available to non-participants in the webinar. So YT link available via PM. 

(snip)

Since it's in the public domain now, feel free to post the Youtube video or a link to said YT video.

Friendly FYI: NO ONE has done anything wrong with regards to the video, but I'd like to use the opportunity to remind everyone to NOT present yourself as a representative of FJ, while doing anything in private. As I said, NO ONE has done anything wrong. But hey, when I see a moment to remind my fellow FJers of that, I'll take it.

2 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

I'd like to use the opportunity to remind everyone to NOT present yourself as a representative of FJ, while doing anything in private.

Or in public. ;)

I really don't think I can sit through a Boyer webinar.  If anyone has a chance to recap the low points I'd be grateful!

45 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I really don't think I can sit through a Boyer webinar.  If anyone has a chance to recap the low points I'd be grateful!

I did... I'll let @charmedforsure do the breakdown, and then I'll fill in if there was something else I thought about. 

For those that don't care to watch a half hour of Charlotte and Jessica proving they're quite the greenhorns when it comes to the standard MLM I-Story. 

Here's the breakdown... 

Spiel about how they can't use certain words in this session, since they aren't approved by the FDA. Can't say anything about healing or curing, but support/supporting and promoting wellness is a-okay. Your questions must be worded without these non-approved words also.

Next to prayer to Heavenly Father (are they picking up the colloquialisms from YL's Mormon roots?).

Then an excerpt from Healing Oils of the Bible by David Stewart about that bunk on harmonics and essential oils... Charlotte calls this digging into the "techie stuff". 

Then about 7 minutes of Jessica listing off all the Young Living products she uses daily, and all the body systems they "support". (List and prices, first price is retail, second is what a YL distributor pays below, those with an asterisk are included in the premium starter kit as 5 ml bottles which retails for $160 + your soul)

Endoflex                  $36.18 / $27.50    (15 ml)  

Juvacleanse           $140.46 / $106.75  (15 ml)

Thieves*                  $44.41 / $33.75   (15 ml)

Clove                        $20.07 / $15.25    (15 ml)

Nutmeg                   $17.11 / $13.00   (5 ml)

Progessence Plus   $49.34 / $37.50   (15 ml)

Orange Blossom Face Wash            $53.95 /  $41.00   (4 oz)   

Frankincense*        $96.71 / $73.50   (15 ml)

Lavender*               $30.92 / $23.50   (15 ml)

Copaiba*                 $56.58 / $43.00   (15 ml)

Essential Beauty Serum (Dry)          $26.64 / $20.25   (15 ml)

Tea Tree                  $34.21 / $26.00   (15 ml)

Dragon Time Massage Oil               $45.72 / $34.75    (8 oz)

Total:                       $652.30 retail / $495.75 wholesale 

Other items mentioned: apple cider vinegar (popular crunchy brand is Bragg's Organic at $4.79/16 oz), Healing Oils of the Bible ($22.48 new via Amazon Prime), and Dragon Time Essential Oil ($64.14 retail / $48.75 wholesale  (15 ml)).

Charlotte then talks about being emotionally unwell daily with no outlet (other than prayer or taking a walk outside), so she resorts to huffing oils. 

Then a bunch of blather on the various body systems the oils can "support", including this big whopper... reprogramming cellular function with the use of essential oils! (That's bordering on that curing cancer false claim BIG TIME.)

The sisters then go into their whole "detox" spiel, they thought they were healthy, but oh boy! they definitely were not!, which you can read about fully on the blog. Oh, yeah, a sidebar warning: while "detoxing", you will look and feel like utter hell.

Here's the portion where we talk about essential oils in the bible. That everyone in Jesus's time totally used essential oils because they knew how amazing they were. We've lost our way as a society and we live so terribly now. We need to get back to our natural, biblical roots.

Now it's time for that plug to sign up under them for your brand new Premium Starter Kit for only $160! Look at all the fancy oils you get! And that diffuser (that they never show)! IT'S THE BEST THING EVER! Remember, Jessica fell in love with Young Living because of that extremely tiny bottle of Peppermint oil... (which some viewer wins a 5 mL bottle for inviting at least 5 people to watch the webinar... yikes!).

And that super special offer because you watched... $25 back when your Young Living Premium Starter Kit!  Which never expires! Our fantastic gift to you! (They'll cut you a check most likely after you've been sucked into YL's terribly expensive autoship program...)

Finishing up with a big ol' BYE GIRLS. You know, I'm sure their blog analytics show them what their typical gender and age range reader is, but if you're trying to sound grown up and mature because you're shilling pyramid scheme dreck, at least call your viewers ladies and gentleman. 

That's all just pathetic really isn't it?  They're acting like it's so BIG and EXCITING and SPECIAL and...they're just yet another MLM sheep shilling rubbish to get more sheep to sign up.

That is a lot to spend on snake oil.  I didn't realise that rubbish cost so much. Depressing really that so much money is being wasted on absolutely nothing. You could do a lot of good with $600-odd.

Off to quit medicine and start shilling oils with fancy sounding fake science and religion.  Sounds way easier than my real job.

Good on you for getting through all of that charmedforsure!

Hi everyone, long time lurker here I've been following the Boyer Sisters for a few years now and am honestly a bit disappointed that YL is what's become of their once lively blog. Granted, I always read their posts as a bit tongue-in-cheek but at least the old content was interesting. A few things about this webinar disturbed me ( thank you by the way for uploading this ). 

I'm obsessed with essential oils, been obsessed with them for probably 7 years now and am shocked that Jessica and Charlotte are giving out completely false ( and potentially dangerous ) information regarding them. First of all, a carrier oil is absolutely necessary for many essential oils, not all of them but many do require them. For example, an oil such as oregano or cinnamon would burn if you applied it directly to your skin. I have cured many an ear infection on my own using nothing but olive oil and oregano and I can say with confidence that the number of electro-magnetic energy waves or whatever the hell they're talking about did not affect my healing at all.  Essential oils are not to be toyed with. They are high concentrations of plants, flowers, fruits, and herbs that require dilution. The fact that that they are promoting using these oils, un-diluted and also used internally makes me rage a little inside. 

I lean more towards using essential oils for aromatherapy purposes; I get a little wary when someone starts going off on how these oils can "completely change your life" and improve your health in so many ways. No, sorry...I don't consider myself an expert on these things but besides being used to treat minor things like that ear infection I mentioned, minor cuts or burns, relief from cramps during your period, etc., they need to be left alone. Yes, they smell awesome and I even love to wear them in lieu of perfume when I want to feel extra hippy-dippy but to treat them as some sort of God-given cure-all is just ridiculous. Again, this is just my opinion. It's also my opinion that YL is overpriced to the point it's laughable. I haven't looked into this company in great detail but what I have read doesn't impress me, especially when they claim to have the "purest" and only "therapeutic-grade" oils available.  

I also don't know if any of you listen to the podcast Oh No! Ross and Carrie, but they did an episode a while back where they tried ( and failed ) repeatedly to get someone, anyone to tell them exactly what a "toxin" was. Nobody could do it. They could vaguely say that we receive toxins through pollution, processed food, etc. but could not give a definitive answer as to what physical matter we are supposedly expelling when we "detox". So according the the latest blog post on B.Well, it sounds as though they've switched completely to YL products in order to properly detox. So what, does that mean that they now expect their dear, sweet readers to somehow shove enough cash down their throats just so they can ( on top of their oily adventures ) buy bath and beauty products now, too? A 15 ml bottle of lavender ( one of the cheaper essential oils available ) through YL is nearly $31. Can you imagine how much money buying shampoo, conditioner, face wash and makeup would be? Do they really believe their main audience of young homeschooled Christian girls and SAHD without paying jobs can afford that? 

I don't know. It's weird to be disappointed in someone you've never met but I am disappointed in these girls. They seem like lovely young women who have so much potential and are throwing it away just to peddle a MLM product. I'm also getting tired of the constant "You guys, you CAN'T get this stuff anywhere else!" they're rattling off nonstop now. 

P.S. I apologize for the length of this post...I've been wanting to comment for a while now, ha!

If you'll take notice to the "all natural" face wash Miss Jessica says is the best she's ever used... the retail price per ounce is RIDICULOUS. It's a 4 ounce bottle of face wash for $53.95. That's $13.4875 per ounce. Even with the distributor price of $41, that comes to $10.25 per ounce! A bit ridiculous for a no-name face wash...

La Mer (one of the most revered and priciest beauty brands on the planet, and for good reason) has a 6.7 ounce bottle of The Cleansing Gel that retails for $90. That breaks down to $13.4328 per ounce. Sorry, not sorry, but if that doesn't show you how overpriced this pyramid scheme nonsense is... you need a serious wake up call.

Other various "natural" (or loaded with essential oils, I'm looking at you Purity Made Simple) face washes and their price breakdowns (MSRPs from Sephora and Vitacost):

La Mer The Cleansing Gel $90/6.7 fl oz = $13.4328/oz

Fresh Soy Face Cleanser  $38/5.1 fl oz = $7.4510/oz

Philosophy Purity Made Simple (Jumbo Sized!) $55/32 fl oz = $1.7188/oz 

Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash Original Oily and Combination Skin - $17.99/32 fl oz = $0.5622/oz

Acure Organics Facial Cleanser Superfruit + Chlorella  $9.99/4 fl oz = $2.4975/oz

@charmedforsure I love your breakdowns of the costs! YL is sooo expensive! 

I completely fell off when they talked about all the megahertz of the plants. Actually, I tuned out already at the prayer. I find it so weird to pray over something like a webinar. 

I also don't understand why they did it as a webinar. They didn't really connect with the people watching, and the quality and the audio was not that good. I think it would have been better if they just made a video. And where were they filming? They weren't at home, so they went somewhere to film it? 

aaaand my favorite: 

5977147a4406e_Skjermbilde2017-07-25kl_11_50_31.thumb.png.84ad9c45fa1d52d88ef05fb88891d663.png

Who is this girl that shows up in the beginning of the video? It looks like they reversed the camera and I think that dog is the Boyer's dog, but who is she? 

@VerbenaI love that podcast! I haven't listen to it in a while, but I have to check out that episode! 

2 minutes ago, wikinggirl said:

I also don't understand why they did it as a webinar. They didn't really connect with the people watching, and the quality and the audio was not that good. I think it would have been better if they just made a video. And where were they filming? They weren't at home, so they went somewhere to film it? 

aaaand my favorite:

Who is this girl that shows up in the beginning of the video? It looks like they reversed the camera and I think that dog is the Boyer's dog, but who is she? 

So they used Zoom.us to host the webinar (which all in all could have been just a livestream to Youtube/Google Hangouts because they didn't use any sort of screen sharing or graphics, or even answer any questions), and in order to join to watch it live, you have to either share your screen, webcam, messages, or (thankfully) a whiteboard. Looks like they accidentally clicked over to a viewer... who will forever be immortalized in the Boyer Sisters' terrible, terrible webinar. 

And it totally did look like they went to a place with strong free wi-fi to host... but I swear I heard a little yip from a dog in the beginning of the video... They just seem to be seated at a very awkward angle with someone's laptop, probably on a couch. You'd think from the nicely produced videos they've put out on their Youtube channel/on their blog, they'd have a professional set up with Charlotte's DSLR and try to shy away from that dreadful little tilt in which the webinar was recorded.

I buy dried herbs/leaves to mix my own teas. My favourite mix is 1 tsp sencha green tea leaves, 1/2 tsp mint leaves and 1/2 tsp dried lavender. Mint and lavender are so good together and green tea is healthy and doesn't contain the caffeine of black teas.

Could I use that dried lavender to infuse oils and in baked goods? It's bought from a tea shop so it's definitely safe and bacteria free. How much lavender would you need to make a small quantity of lavender-infused olive oil?

I have to admit I love lavender and rose in teas and have never found them to taste soapy, but I prefer to make my own blends.

13 hours ago, charmedforsure said:

Then about 7 minutes of Jessica listing off all the Young Living products she uses daily,

I have a question. How does one actually take oils? Do you drop some on your tongue? Rub it on your skin? Put them in a diffuser? Mix them with water? Put them in tea? 

@formergothardite, I've never figured that out either. I have seen diffusers recently at Bed Bath &Beyond, and they were expensive-- averaging about $70 each.  So beyond aromatherapy, I honestly don't know what good they do.  

@Vex https://blog.mountainroseherbs.com/making-herbal-infused-oils Here is a really great article on how to make herbal-infused oils. I personally prefer using dried herbs since the chance of them growing mold decreases. A good rule of thumb when doing this is to always make sure your carrier oil covers any plant matter completely. But equal parts lavender to oil should do the trick for you :) That tea sounds delicious!!!

2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I have a question. How does one actually take oils? Do you drop some on your tongue? Rub it on your skin? Put them in a diffuser? Mix them with water? Put them in tea? 

This is exactly why Charlotte and Jessica need to educate themselves on essential oils before peddling YL. Using them internally like they are suggesting is a hotly-debated method and most users of essential oils advise against it. The girls never go into this. Let's just say if you take an oil like oregano internally then you've got a real problem on your hands. 

I use essential oils in a few different ways. As a fragrance I add a few drops of whatever combination of oils I want to jojoba oil. For bath salts, again just a few drops and shake it up really well. The only oil I use neat ( no dilution ) is lavender on the soles of my feet. 

Diffusers are wonderful ways to use them too. Yeah they can get pricey if you want the fancy kind but my little clay one that uses a tea-light does the trick just fine! I see the little clay ones go for under $10 in stores like Sprouts or such.

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived