IGNORED

The Boyer Sisters: Part 4

samurai_sarah

They need to take lessons from the my area's doterra lady. She'd teach them how to shill better. 

Praying about the Retreat Center idea the Lord put on our hearts several years ago, I was standing in the shower and believe the Spirit of God whispered into my mind, "Build a doTERRA community and doTERRA will build the retreat center!"

Far fetched, crazy ideas aren't new to me so I filtered the idea through Truth. About that time my quick to listen, slow to speak husband walked into the crazy. I know him well enough that I expected to share my heart, he accept it with seriousness, process it a few weeks, and respond. That's just the way he his. Either he will eventually give me an answer or stay quiet long enough for the Lord to show me the answer myself without his help. I've come to love this about him! 

He stood there pondering this doTERRA idea for less than 15 seconds and responded, "Do it, go for it!" WHAT??? Just like that...almost 17 years of marriage and this is only the second time the Lord has EVER put us on the same page at the same moment!!!! I knew God was all over it. 

And so we did.

I've used oils, doTERRA being one of them, for a handful of years, but I called a girl (my upline) I knew and said, "Hey, sign me up to build a doTERRA business!!!" 

I didn't even know what that all meant, didn't know the cost ($35 hello!!! Yes that's right!) Didn't know the inside and outs of anything ....but isn't that how it is...you don't need to know the details when God says do it. 

So here I am 6 months into building a doTERRA community and the Lord's favor and blessing is all over it. Why am I telling you this? Several reasons.....
1. Because I listened to a speaker this morning on my walk that brought tears to my eyes and made me realize I'm not brave in sharing my dream. 

2. Because I've been following Jesus long enough to know that when He says go....you go or you miss a blessing. 

3. Because I want to give you the opportunity to be part of something bigger than yourself. Yes, my eyes are long term set on a retreat center that creates a place for people to come for respite and hear the Lord's voice, but it's the day to day blessings of God showing up in lives through the blessing of hope, restoration, and lives changed because of doTERRA that I extend my invitation. 

Moms are finding a purpose in choosing joy over the mundane, they are getting new energy and drive to keep on investing in their homes. Dads are seeing their wives come alive again as they pour into others sharing oils and testimonies. Children are hearing stories of hope and possibilities because their parents are dreaming and living abundant lives of peace and joy. My own children are learning that life isn't about them as we struggle to model dying to self so others can live. 

doTERRA for my family is way more about people, relationships and dreams coming to fruition than it is about making money. 

Yeah, the money is nice and exciting but as we dream together about the possibilities, I'm excited to see my kids hearts of generosity line up with mine....you will be blessed for the sake of being generous...No, it's not about the money, but with more money we can be even more generous...and I know that is why the retreat center vision from the Lord is given to us because it's our heart to share and give...

So as you ponder this long rambling, I ask you to start dreaming...maybe God wants you to help us build a retreat center that will generously bless others....single moms, parents who have experienced death of children, the grieving, the hurting, the broken, people who just need a quiet place to think and dream. 

Help us not by giving $, but help us by letting us help you build your own doTERRA community where you can add value on a daily basis....and as you invest daily, you will be taking part in things way bigger than ourselves that will impact generations to come! 

There's my dream....to build into you because the Lord keeps whispering, "Keep adding value, keep investing in others, keep pouring out because I will fill you up and do more than your mind can possibly imagine "

Who wants to get in on what God is already doing??

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Avon is very popular in Scotland for one reason and one reason only: Avon Skin-So-Soft is the only thing known to mankind to keep the dread midge at bay. Midges are microscopic biting flies that live in the Scottish countryside and will make your life hell. Like so (Don't watch if you're squeamish about insects): 

Jessica and Charlotte believe oils are alive.  I'm speechless.  Honestly... I learned about cells before I even hit middle school.

This is what happens when two uneducated girls cooped up in a house together get sold a whole lot of nonsense!

Everything in that video made zero sense.

Go back to vintage sewing, girls!

Or better yet, go out and get yourselves jobs! Real jobs! Paid jobs! 

No sensible man will go near you whilst you're peddling this scam.

If Gabe is any indication, sensible maybe isn't high on their list of priorities.

I get what you mean , but maybe Gabe has *some* sensibility.  He was, after all, attracted to Brigid, who presents as the least interested in living online (in that she walked away from blogging completely earlier this year). Just guessing here; I could be way off.... 

But everyone is right:  J&C need to get the hell out of the house for several hours every day, find some friends in their own age bracket, and do something genuinely productive with their excessive amounts of spare time.

I wonder what Brigid and Gabe are doing these days.  How are things going for them?  Is the marriage going well?  They're young and living together for the first time is always a surprise as the new couple learns more about each other.  Jobs going well?  Well, how Gabes job is going, as I don't know if Brigid has a job.  Is he happy at his job or is he considering making a change?  Hobbies?  I imagine they have hobbies they do together, and wonder if they have interests apart from each other.  Children?  Any on the way, or do they have one already?  I hope that whatever the answer is, it's something that they're contented with and not stressed out.

I don't expect to be informed of these things, as Gabe and Brigid seem to have chosen to live their lives off line, but I wonder sometimes how things are going and hope they're doing well.

Judging by a photo on their mother's Facebook page, Brigid is several months pregnant.

Mods, apologies if I've misinterpreted rules on social media accounts. It's my understanding that things available to general non-friend users are fair game, but I know some people call information from extended family accounts into question.

15 minutes ago, Kariina said:

Mods, apologies if I've misinterpreted rules on social media accounts. It's my understanding that things available to general non-friend users are fair game, but I know some people call information from extended family accounts into question.

Quoting public info from public accounts is fine. You can't quote from private accounts, secret groups, private chats and the likes, you can only paraphrase content.

1 hour ago, Kariina said:

Judging by a photo on their mother's Facebook page, Brigid is several months pregnant.

What is her facebook page?

4 hours ago, Jeronimo said:

No sensible man will go near you whilst you're peddling this scam.

I've been thinking for a while that no sensible man would want to go near these two little twits.  They probably can't help it, but they are so freaking needy.  And whiny.  Who would really want to hang around that?

They should both get full physicals with a real doctor. They are endlessly complaining about stress, anxiety, and various aches and pains.   At 18 and 22, they should not have all these physical problems unless something is wrong - physically or mentally.  I suspect it is boredom and frustration with their lives that is turning them into a right little pair of hypochondriacs.

And now they are yapping about essential oils curing helping their digestive problems, and supporting their adrenal system (I doubt they know what that is), and flushing out their livers.  Or something.  

@Kariina, I was pretty sure Brigid was pregnant just from looking at her pinterest page!   

Congratulations @Gabe and Brigid.  Best wishes for you both and the baby.  I hope all goes well.

I hope I have Gabe's attention because he and Brigid should seriously research essential oils right now.  Especially as she is pregnant and her relatives are flogging oils as the best thing ever.  Do not believe everything Young Living says.

As @Verbena has explained so well, just because essential oils are natural doesn't mean they can't be dangerous, especially for children.   http://naturopathicpediatrics.com/2014/09/08/essential-oil-safety-danger-essential-oils-seizures-children/

@Verbena, I love your screen name.  I'm drying a whole bunch of lemon verbena at the moment to use as a scented oil in diffusers.

Here's the picture with a clearly pregnant Brigid. I am a little surprised the other two hasn't mentioned it on the blog... 

17 minutes ago, wikinggirl said:
Here's the picture with a clearly pregnant Brigid. I am a little surprised the other two hasn't mentioned it on the blog... 

I'm not.

At 18 and 22, I was going to college full-time and working part-time to help pay for college and incidentals. Plus, engaged in the typical activities of a typical young adult.  Besides being tired occasionally from burning my candle at both ends, I don't remember being such a delicate flower as those two.

Hmmmm. Definitely, not good wife material or breeding stock. ;-)  Toughen up J & C, being a wife and mother isn't for the faint of heart or weaklings. It is hard work. 

Brigid looks radiant and happy. Congrats, you two :)

@PalimpsestThank you! It was also the name of Sally's shop in Practical Magic! Mmm lemon verbena in a diffuser? That sounds heavenly. And you make an excellent point in the danger of Brigid using essential oils at this point. I believe rosemary is one such oil that can bring on early contractions. I'm hoping if she is into any of this, that she simply googles "essential oils to avoid during pregnancy". 

So if Charlotte and Jessica are okay with the idea of all things having an electric pulse, what's to stop them in believing something like auras or the suggestion that something like spell work is simply manipulating energy? 

I feel a lot of empathy for J and C.  

They strike me as women with a lot of innate intelligence (i.e. look at how well they've built up their brand), but their writing and videos lay bare their parents' poor homeschooling.  Right now, they're adults, but they don't seem to have anything substantial to call their own, or to plan for in the future.  Their moneymaking ability and romantic options are limited by their lack of formal education.  It seems like their lives have been choreographed to wait for a husband, but they've got little to do in the waiting years.  

I'm no doctor, but wouldn't it make sense that the lack of meaning in their lives, combined with seeing their sister living the "dream life", would result in physical ailments?  I know when I'm stressed or sad, I feel utterly sick.  No wonder having this oil project/placebo to focus on makes them feel better.  

Tsk tsk. 

Looks like the sisters are trying to sell samples to recoup costs for their so-called "Beauty Night" coming up. The $7 cost (which about $2 is roughly shipping, if you sent the goods in a decent padded envelope) includes 3 foil packettes. THREE WHOLE SAMPLES GUYS.

Oh, and a possible 1 in 8 chance of winning a bottle of Orange essential oil and a Vanillamint lip balm. SUCH AMAZING PRIZES.

A quick search shows the basis of their "beauty night" is going to be using the Young Living Beauty School Spring Beauty Box - $50 wholesale for 10 packettes each of that ridiculous Orange Blossom Face Wash (full size retail: $53.95), ART Intensive Moisturizer (full size retail: $85.53), and Satin Facial Scrub, Mint (full size retail: $21.38). Oh, and those prizes? They're part of the $50 box too. So handy right? There was also a headband in the box. Wonder which of the sisters took that for their personal use...

Only 8 people can sign up! OMG SO MUCH PERSONAL ATTENTION! Probably because Jessica and Charlotte will be using 2 of the 10 packettes to demo, instead of using full sizes (or even travel sizes), like real beauty bloggers do to show off the goods. 

So they're trying to get their viewers to shell out another $160.86 (plus tax and shipping) for full sizes of these no-name products, if they haven't already suckered them into becoming a distributor. And they're definitely pandering to the younger SAHD crowd, because there isn't even a serum/treatment in that cost.  Seriously. If I'm gonna spend over $80 on a moisturizer, you bet your sweet bippy it's gonna be from Sephora or Ulta or somewhere I can get a free sample of it plus be able to return it no questions asked if my face freaks out and I need to switch back to my $10 giant tub of Cerave cream. 

Ladies... are you sure you can sell those samples? 

That may be against your distributor agreement. 

Better check all that legal-ease before you try and recoup that $50 you spent on those sad, sad little packettes.

Wow, per that photo @wikinggirl posted, they've completely changed their modesty standards! 

I'm really glad, because I think people should be able to do a 180º, especially when they started their beliefs as teenagers, but I think about all their self-righteous posts about modest = holy, and the ones putting other people down for what they wear, and I would love it if they addressed it more openly.

I mean, hell, I was pretty obnoxious as a teen when I was so sure I was right about the environment, fair trade etc, because that's often part of having deeply held beliefs as a teenager, that burning desire to convert - but it's important to recognise and acknowledge that yeah, I was a bit extreme.   But at least I never had a blog with scolding and Holier Than Thou posts about how I was Right!

ETA I hope it's not just their looks that have changed - I hope the parental reins have been loosened, and they take more opportunities, rather than focusing on their hope chests and future husbands.

2 hours ago, Lurky said:

Wow, per that photo @wikinggirl posted, they've completely changed their modesty standards! 

Yeah, I thought about that too after I posted the pictures. Thin straps, shoulders and knees, oh my! 

This is also a private picture, it is open for anyone to see, but it isn't put out there on the blog, it was a snapshot taken by their mother. What they present on the blog and what they do in private doesn't have to be the same, if you know what I mean? 

@charmedforsure I thought the same thing! Is it OK to sell samples? Good work finding the sample box! And yikes! Over $80 for a moisturizer, and it's only 50g! No thank you. 

Selling samples?  Lawd. Classy. That's hilarious.

It's all cool with the changed standards. From a judgemental post on the blog about skinny jeans in November (skinny jeans are not for every figure you know, despite what our culture tells us. I for one just wish it had expounded on which figures they aren't for because a teenager's opinion on this is super important in my fashion choices).

While the Bible does command modesty (1 Timothy 2:9), there is no place in the Scriptures that strictly sets down rules and guidelines on modesty (hemlines, tightness, depth of necklines, etc.), and all standards are relative to your family’s beliefs, what the Holy Spirit convicts you of, and the culture around you. I respect and whole-heartedly embrace all the guidelines that my parents set down for my sisters and I, knowing that the Lord has put them over me to help me gain wisdom and understanding as I walk through life, drawing ever closer to my Savior. And ultimately, modesty starts in the heart, which is way more important than how long your skirt is, or how tight your pants are.

Modesty starts in the heart but I don't think it ends with posting 17 photos of yourself in the same outfit. At least the snake oil is a change from that!

Congratulations to Brigid and Gabe! Perhaps this is why Brigid retired from the Boyer Sisters blog but also perhaps she had the insight to see Young Living for what it is.

She posted recently on her instagram hinting that she might release some commercial sewing patterns but I guess soon she will have her hands full with a newborn. 

I just love the dress Brigid wore in her engagement photos and a pattern of that would  be amazing. 

I bet she'll make some amazing outfits for this baby!

They do look cute in that photo and congrats to Brigid! I think those are their "modest" swimsuits. It looks like they went canoeing that day. It seems they're getting away from the whole vintage thing. Not that we'll really know because their new blog is only about magical snake oil and not about fashion, their lifestyle, etc. What a shame.

@acheronbeach, I can't understand J & C's perspective and put myself into their shoes enough to feel empathy for them.  At their ages I was raring to explore the world.  I cannot sufficiently understand why they feel the need to limit themselves to empathize. 

I have felt sympathy for them.  They are bright and talented but seem trapped as SAHDs.  I want them to break out of their rut and explore and develop their talents. 

Right now I feel frustrated with them.  After all that talk of a new beginning and a new direction - and they end up shilling MLM products.

I feel even more frustrated with Ma and Pa Boyer.

It is pretty common knowledge that anxiety and depression can cause physical symptoms.  Especially stomach and digestive issues, problems sleeping, panic attacks, and sometimes intense aches and pains - most of which these two young women have complained about.  What does Charlotte mean when she feels "emotionally unwell"?  Is she sad?  Weeping?  Angry enough to kick the cat? Does she have suicidal ideation?  Jessica was describing panic attacks not all that long ago.

From my armchair I'm not going to diagnose them with anything, but I do wonder whether they have situational depression (adjustment disorder) or clinical depression.  They need a full work up from real medical professionals.  First to rule out any physical issues and then to look at their mental health.  

The excitement over their new business may be helping if they have situational depression even more than the essential oils they are selling.  If, or more likely when, this business fails, then they will probably be right back where they were before.  

Those oils are expensive and I will be really surprised if their followers will be able to afford them, let alone become distributers.  And we all know that the real money in MLMs is signing other suckers up to sell.  I fear the Boyer sisters will end up with a garage full of product they cannot move.

I do wish MA and Pa Boyer would set these young women free to get a decent education and experience life.

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived