IGNORED

The Boyer Sisters: Part 4

samurai_sarah

I'm embarrassed to say I've never come across lavender flavour in foods before.

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

Am I the only one who hates lavender in food? I use lavender a lot, it's the only essential oil I consider essential, but it tastes awful. I've tried it in baked goods and tea, and it just makes everything taste like soap to me. I can tolerate it in herbes de Provence, I think, because it gets overpowered. 

The only thing I like lavender in is a very high butter and sugar content shortbread cookie.

Otherwise, I feel the same way thinking it tastes exactly like soap. I worked for a specialty retail brand that sells lotions, soaps, and candles and our shop used a lavender and vanilla fragrance oil for over three months straight as our "house fragrance" when we didn't get shipments of any other seasonal fragrances from corporate (burning a cinnamon-heavy scent isn't exactly kosher in April in the fragrance world!)... That smell is burned into my brain and can never ever be replaced with good memories.

On 7/15/2017 at 7:06 AM, catlady said:

"oily journey"  is such a weird phrase to use.  i actually went to their site to see if they really used it (not that i didn't believe you, Jasmar! :) ), and holy crap, they did; wtf!

Jess and Char are apparently having fun on their oily journey and want us to join them.  Well, truth be told, i'm already on my own oily journey and didn't even know it!

Last month, i harvested the lavender in my garden, and i looked up how to make lavender oil.  i followed the instructions and dried the flowers for about a week, then stripped the blooms from the stems.  they smelled heavenly in the bowl, as did my hands.  i put them in a mason jar--a fancy purple one--with some inexpensive olive oil.  the instructions said to use any oil that doesn't have much of a scent on its own, so that it doesn't overpower the lavender.  Since it was what i had, and Mr. CL agreed it wasn't very strong, i proceeded.  i used between 1/2 and 2/3 pint oil, added the lavender (about a cup on its own), and closed the purple mason jar with a fancy floral-print lid (the only thing i ever bought from that infernal Pioneer Woman; she just rubs me the wrong way, but maybe she needs an oily journey too).  i set the jar on a sunny windowsill to infuse for two weeks.  

FAIL!  i opened the jar this morning, and somehow, the lavender intensified the scent of the olive oil.  yep, it now smells exactly like the premium olive oil that my sister likes to use for fancy dinners.

it should be noted that the stunning failure of my oily journey will *not* inspire me to hitch my handcart to the Boyers' MLM scam scheme endeavor.

Good for using dried. You want to be careful infusing oils with fresh herbs. It can go bad because it can't kill any bacteria on a fresh leaf. It's quite entertaining to see olive oil come alive after it's turned. 

The herb farm I worked at would typically only use fresh for tinctures (vodka) or for vinegars becatse both would make sure nothing iffy grew. 

Usually dried herbs for oils. 

On 7/17/2017 at 1:48 PM, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

Am I the only one who hates lavender in food? I use lavender a lot, it's the only essential oil I consider essential, but it tastes awful. I've tried it in baked goods and tea, and it just makes everything taste like soap to me. I can tolerate it in herbes de Provence, I think, because it gets overpowered. 

I'm right there with you. I love violet flavored candies, but otherwise I just cannot deal with flower flavors in food. And lavender is strong!

I used to think I disliked lavender in any form. I think I even ranted about it a bit on FJ once. Then I discovered that the loose leaf tea my husband bought me had lavender in it. So I apparently like a bit of lavender in some teas.

I also didn't mind the baby shampoo we had with lavender because the scent was much milder than most lavender scented things. I just find most potpourri, candles, etc. with lavender much too strong for me. I'm just not a strong candidate to buy any essential oils.

Charlotte's newest Instagram post is attempting to quell the murmurs of uncertainty about her venture into a pyramid scheme... 

Claiming it gives her purpose? And it's gonna benefit her children and children's children? Well, she bought in hook, line, and sinker and is spreading the gospel of shitty emotionally manipulative tactics ALL MLMs use to get you to sign on the dotted line. 

#diamondrising? Looks like the Boyers are going after that ever elusive top of the pyramid...

I'm glad I checked in here. All the lavender ice creams I've been seeing have me intrigued but I've been afraid to try. If it's actually going to taste like lavender I'll steer clear.

I made some lavender jelly once and discovered that it made me nauseous.  The rest of my family thought it was delicious, but I literally couldn't stomach it and never made it again. I have steered clear of lavender recepies ever since. My sister made some lavender scones not long ago.  I risked a nibble and they weren't bad, but I didn't want any more than the nibble. I even get a herbs de Provence mixture that doesn't have lavender in it.  The thought of the tea just grosses me out. 

I do love the smell of lavender, although generally only from the plants in my garden.  One of my great aunts used to send bottles of "Lavender from Deeside" from the factory near where she lived in Scotland out to relatives around the world.  Unfortunately, that means that lavender in soaps or perfumes just makes me think fondly of old ladies.  A nice smell, but not one I want to use myself! 

16 hours ago, charmedforsure said:

Charlotte's newest Instagram post is attempting to quell the murmurs of uncertainty about her venture into a pyramid scheme... 

Claiming it gives her purpose? And it's gonna benefit her children and children's children? Well, she bought in hook, line, and sinker and is spreading the gospel of shitty emotionally manipulative tactics ALL MLMs use to get you to sign on the dotted line. 

#diamondrising? Looks like the Boyers are going after that ever elusive top of the pyramid...

The hashtag #relationshipmarketing says it all.

2 hours ago, Kariina said:

The hashtag #relationshipmarketing says it all.

Yea that reminds me of my local EO lady.Today she posted: 

A college friend of mine is waiting by her husband's cancer bed, hospice says it could be any day. 3 1/2 years battling a rare cancer has been the only thing her young boys may remember about their daddy. Their wedding anniversary is tomorrow, truly, may death do us part. I'm praying for her today. 

Another friend of mine has been sitting by her daddy's bed, holding his frail hands and hoping she could do more, she doesn't realize her example is modeling for the rest of us the gentle, dying of self in caring for elderly parents. We will all get there, may we steward it with hearts of a servant as my friend has. Last night she had to say her goodbyes. I'm praying for her heart of grief today. 

Another friend of mine is in the season of parenting opinionated and passionate young adults. There's no one being put to rest, but raising children comes with a loss. We must die to our own selves so they can reach their full potential. We must choose to take a loss in pride as we humbly consider others better than ourselves. There's loss alright but it's in the dying that we live. I'm praying for her today. 

The internet reads, "console touch promotes feelings of comfort and hope during times of loss." One may read that and overlook the importance of this consolation because maybe you haven't had any loss. But think on this for me a minute, when most people think of loss, they think a death of loved ones, but hear me out.....we all experience loss....we have expectations that aren't met and that's a loss. We have dreams unlived, a loss. We have broken relationships...a loss of what could be. In every area of our lives we have loss....mental loss when we believe lies over truth, physical loss when we treat our bodies less than best....every decision in our lives can lead to a loss because when we choose one thing, we are losing another so I love console because the weight of the world doesn't have to be on my shoulders. There's comfort knowing I can't control anything besides my own attitude and choices. There is power in that and when you live consoled knowing you're in charge of your own self, the losses don't feel so heavy like loses, but as if we have opportunities.....

Opportunities to trust in a sovereign God who allows my friend's husband to die so young. Opportunities to be grateful over a life where grandparents impacted their grandchildren. Opportunities to choose to be refined in our parenting. Opportunities are before us in every loss, may our minds see it. 

So today....feeling sad, lonely, or hopeless....maybe your grief over losses is just so very heavy, you are going to be thankful you can choose to be consoled!

This seems a weird post, but when I woke up and saw today's essential oil BOGO I felt the weight of all my friends burdens on me. Tears filled my eyes over the losses they're all experiencing today and it made me so very grateful that I have the ability to pray for my friends. The greatest weapon I have to battle losses is my ability to ask the God of heaven to bring peace, comfort, and wisdom over these today. 

I'm all sappy over the crazy notion that essential oils could meet such a need in the lives of these friends, but today's BOGO isn't about selling oils, my heart is passionate about adding value to those in the middle of heavy losses, people who need some passion in their lives to even care about one more breath. That is what today's essential oil deal is about. I'm inviting you to think of 2 friends who are suffering great losses right now and gift today's BOGO to them.

3 minutes ago, EowynW said:

"I'm inviting you to think of 2 friends who are suffering great losses right now and gift today's BOGO to them."

Wow! What a heavy-handed sales pitch. I don't even have words for that. Think of those who are going through the worst things imaginable...and buy some essential oils.

People like this is why I would consider only telling certain family members if I ever got a diagnosis like cancer.

2 hours ago, ladyamylynn said:

How fucking tacky can you get? 

She's like that all the time. She's actually an entertaining fundie lite person to follow on social media. Lives in my general area.  Complete b*tch if you cross her tho. 

5 hours ago, EowynW said:

Yea that reminds me of my local EO lady.Today she posted: 

A college friend of mine is waiting by her husband's cancer bed, hospice says it could be any day. 3 1/2 years battling a rare cancer has been the only thing her young boys may remember about their daddy. Their wedding anniversary is tomorrow, truly, may death do us part. I'm praying for her today.

What the actual fuck did I just read? Omg the EO lady is just a freaking looney toon, oil peddling, bible thumper. She'd probably tell me she could have cured my bunions with her oils, too. 

52 minutes ago, divadivine said:

What the actual fuck did I just read? Omg the EO lady is just a freaking looney toon, oil peddling, bible thumper. She'd probably tell me she could have cured my bunions with her oils, too. 

Probably! I use EO selectively but she's just out in crazy town about them. 

Her leghumpers just eat it up. 

Did anyone happen to creep on their webinar? I totally was going to... but I was sitting in traffic when it started.

ETA: Looks like they're gonna send out a link to a recording of it tomorrow. 

18 hours ago, charmedforsure said:

Did anyone happen to creep on their webinar? I totally was going to... but I was sitting in traffic when it started.

ETA: Looks like they're gonna send out a link to a recording of it tomorrow. 

No, but Charlotte has a new blog post up. Never loose heart, girls.

On 7/20/2017 at 5:11 PM, Eternalbluepearl said:

Wow! What a heavy-handed sales pitch. I don't even have words for that. Think of those who are going through the worst things imaginable...and buy some essential oils.

Christ on a cracker, that sales pitch. Maybe I should buy Sen. McCain some essential oils.

14 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Christ on a cracker, that sales pitch. Maybe I should buy Sen. McCain some essential oils.

Charlotte would think that would be a great idea... given that ALL toxins eventually lead to cancer, according to the new blog post. 

They're running a bit fast and loose with those medical claims, aren't they?

On 7/20/2017 at 5:06 PM, EowynW said:

I'm all sappy over the crazy notion that essential oils could meet such a need in the lives of these friends, but today's BOGO isn't about selling oils, my heart is passionate about adding value to those in the middle of heavy losses, people who need some passion in their lives to even care about one more breath. That is what today's essential oil deal is about. I'm inviting you to think of 2 friends who are suffering great losses right now and gift today's BOGO to them.

I want to shake this one until her teeth rattle in her empty, stupid, exploitative head.  :angry-devil: 

10 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I want to shake this one until her teeth rattle in her empty, stupid, exploitative head.  :angry-devil: 

Yep. Every time I bump into her I think that. 

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

Can I be behind you in the queue for shaking? My rage bubbled dangerously while reading that. Showing prayerful faux concern for people who probably don't exist in order to get people supporting others who are going through loss to buy essential oils. 

I work in hospice. Essential oils actually are used quite a lot by our complementary therapists with patients and their family members. For free. Because exploiting the terminally ill and their loved ones by hard-selling bergamot oil to them is a real shit move that no decent person would even consider.

7 minutes ago, EmainMacha said:

Can I be behind you in the queue for shaking? My rage bubbled dangerously while reading that. Showing prayerful faux concern for people who probably don't exist in order to get people supporting others who are going through loss to buy essential oils. 

I work in hospice. Essential oils actually are used quite a lot by our complementary therapists with patients and their family members. For free. Because exploiting the terminally ill and their loved ones by hard-selling bergamot oil to them is a real shit move that no decent person would even consider.

Yea, I was one of the caretakers for my grandpa. I watched him die. I walked him to the van when they came to pick his body up. The last thing I needed was some oils that day 

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived