IGNORED

The Boyer Sisters: Part 4

samurai_sarah

14 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Seriously! When did ministry become just existing and letting others see you existing through selfies or reality tv? That's not a ministry. 

haha!  by that logic, the Kardashians, the Real Housewives, and the Teen Mom girls are ministries, too.  that puts the Boyers in unexpected company.

and @HereticHick is right; they need to actually get outside and give genuine help to people in need, get real jobs (as opposed to MLM crap), and/or get real educations.

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Seriously! When did ministry become just existing and letting others see you existing through selfies or reality tv? That's not a ministry. 

Don't forget singing to people who go to the exact same kind of church as you - that seems to be very big in Fundyland.

8 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Preening and being smug is not a ministry. 

I wish Jesus would come and overturn their makeup tables.

Yesssss! For real. I have had it with people calling normal money-making ideas "ministries." I've also had it with missions that don't *do* anything. There are people with actual needs in this world, and essential oils will not help 99.9 percent of those. (I'm allowing an overly generous .1 percent for the possibility that tea tree oil or one of the known natural anti-bac plant extracts could assist in someone's germ issues somewhere).

Praying and contemplating the needs of others is lovely and all, but if they're starving/being murdered/under active persecution I bet they'd appreciate something more than thoughts.

5 hours ago, divadivine said:

Someone at my office tried to convince me her oils could cure my bunions.

What? I had surgery in December. They didn't tell me in time.

20 minutes ago, SoybeanQueen said:

<snipped>

What? I had surgery in December. They didn't tell me in time.

Yes, right before the surgery on my right foot she said "There are oils that can cure bunions!" I looked at her and asked if she actually knew what a bunion was and then I laughed and walked away. She didn't mention it again when I had my left foot done. 

I had my right foot done in February 2016 & the left foot done in September 2016. I'm back to normal now. It wasn't as horrible as people made it out to be. How was your experience? 

21 hours ago, divadivine said:

I had my right foot done in February 2016 & the left foot done in September 2016. I'm back to normal now. It wasn't as horrible as people made it out to be. How was your experience? 

I only had one foot that needed to be fixed. It's still sore, but not actively painful 75% of the day like it was pre-surgery, so it's an improvement. Getting back to running is haaaaard because I still don't have full flexibility back. Ugh.

I recently discovered (after I bought some adorable, but narrow in the toe, flats) that I have tailor's bunions. I suspect its because I work with kids and spend an excessive amount of time 'criss-cross applesauce' on the floor. I go to the podiatrist on July 3rd, and I'm dreading what he has to say. Is the recovery from surgery terrible? Has anyone had any success with regulators?

So, to the sisters (or at least to Jessica, as she authored the post), you can't have joy in your life if Jesus ain't* in your heart.  Yikes.

And edgy alert! Jessica used the word "lame" to describe being obedient... Do we have the tiniest bit of pushback on being a dutiful SAHD

I'm really curious how they'll tie in Jesus to oils. Also, how are they going to market their lifestyle brand to anyone outside of the Christian SAHD circle? Once they churn through the Boyer Sisters Blog commenter circlejerk as a warm market... who the heck will they be trying to market to?

Back to that joy, I just found a bit of joy in slathering (well more like gently patting) on the new anti-aging skincare regimen I just invested $$$ in for my 30th birthday. Fine lines and wrinkles, be gone!

*Sorry for my use of ain't.... It seemed appropriate here!

53 minutes ago, charmedforsure said:

So, to the sisters (or at least to Jessica, as she authored the post), you can't have joy in your life if Jesus ain't* in your heart.  Yikes.

One thing I don't get about how certain religious beliefs are presented is that, surely, one should follow a religion because it's life giving or joyous or positive.

If you're only doing it because you fear going to hell, or because you worry that if you don't all the good things in your life will vanish, surely that's doing it wrong?

(I know that isn't what she said in this post, but it's kind of related).

I couldn't sleep last night, soI fell down another Boyer sisters rabbit hole. 

Turns out Levi, Jessica's ex fiancé works at the Creation museum and the Ark Encounter! He's an exhibit artist, so he helped make those creepy figures.

5954eb758a4c0_Skjermbilde2017-06-29kl_13_58_09.png.b2f47325b03e08627afdc5899ed8173f.png

Totally normal work clothes for working in a shop. Not unpractical at all... 

Still find it weird that they went from things that have potential for wider audiences (the singing, retro clothes, sewing etc) to essential oils, where it's *all* MLM, and the market is pretty saturated. 

I guess I never understand essential oil MLMs as I've been buying essential oils for years, and in the UK you can pick them up everywhere from markets to high-street chemists to health food shops to expensive emporia.  But here they're marketed for massage and for using as fragrance/oil burners.  For sure there's a lot of "lavender will relax you"/"black pepper is a good oil to use to stimulate muscles"/"jasmine is an aphrodisiac" around, and I know people who use tea tree for antiseptic - but I don't understand the ridiculous mark-ups, crazy "use this oil and your diabetes will disappear" and the whole general MLM side. 

So Jessica mentioned in her "joy" post that her dad lost his job two years ago.  I guess that's why they sold their house.  Do we know if he found a new job? And what is his occupation anyway?

I think that the people who get drawn into mlms and the people who get drawn into fundie world are often very similar in personality, etc. so it makes sense that their is a lot of overlap. It's like both are these ideas drawn up into neat little packages that sound perfect to some people when you look at the surface, but if you actually look the problems are obvious. There is also some element of "evangelism" in mlms with the whole trying to draw people in thing.

1 hour ago, hollyandivy said:

So Jessica mentioned in her "joy" post that her dad lost his job two years ago.  I guess that's why they sold their house.  Do we know if he found a new job? And what is his occupation anyway?

He worked in marketing/branding.  If I'm remembering correctly, he was pretty high up at Proctor & Gamble  when they lived out west but then left to start his own company. Not sure what went on from there. 

1 hour ago, hollyandivy said:

@GenerationCedarchip Thanks! I tried to dig something up on the Internet but was not successful. Maybe somebody else knows something

Ha, I found him: http://www.clancyboyerco.com/index.html

But I doubt he makes  a lot of money this way

I've got to hand it to Daddy Boyer... if that's really his solo design work, it's pretty impressive. You can definitely see where Charlotte got the web and graphic design bug from.

On 6/27/2017 at 8:14 PM, ViolaSebastian said:

I recently discovered (after I bought some adorable, but narrow in the toe, flats) that I have tailor's bunions. I suspect its because I work with kids and spend an excessive amount of time 'criss-cross applesauce' on the floor. I go to the podiatrist on July 3rd, and I'm dreading what he has to say. Is the recovery from surgery terrible? Has anyone had any success with regulators?

The surgery is not awful. I was never in pain. Uncomfortable at times, yes, but never in pain.  But, it's different for everyone- depending on the severity of the bunion and the type of surgery method used. 

I never tried a regulator and I'm guessing it's not really worth the money you'll spend on it. The doctor may have a good non-surgerical solution. Keep us posted. 

1 hour ago, divadivine said:

The surgery is not awful. I was never in pain. Uncomfortable at times, yes, but never in pain.  But, it's different for everyone- depending on the severity of the bunion and the type of surgery method used. 

I never tried a regulator and I'm guessing it's not really worth the money you'll spend on it. The doctor may have a good non-surgerical solution. Keep us posted. 

Thanks for replying! A lot of the pain I felt isn't an issue if I just wear shoes with a wide enough toe box, but I'm also having issues with pain in my arches and I wanted to see if there was anything that could be done about that, too. Basically, I turned 34 and my feet started falling apart. My mother has terrible plantar fasciitis, and if I can do something to avoid her fate, I'm going to do it. My new job has me on my feet for eight hours, and different people give me different advice about what shoes I should wear, so I'm going to get it straight from the podiatrists mouth. :pb_lol:

"We want to bless, not sell"

"In God’s providential care, we joined Young Living last year"

Because nothing in their lives is ordinary, nothing, I tell you! Heaven forbid they do something so mundane as getting a job because they need money. Everything is a special calling from God. 

I was reading an article about vintage sewing patterns, and saw a pattern for a top from the 1940s that would look nice on the Boyer sisters, and meet their modesty requirements.

http://vintagepatterns.wikia.com/wiki/McCall_6717#Sources.2FVendors

It's vintage, so tracking it down might be difficult, but maybe they can find something similar?  

that's really pretty!  and it would look very nice on them.

i have a dress that my friend made from a vintage 1950's pattern.  she'd adapted the pattern to make the dress as large as she could, but it still ended up too small for her.  so since i'm moderately smaller (but still heavy), she gave it to me.  it's still a hair too tight on me, but it's my goal dress.  i'll try to remember to post a photo of it tonight.

Here is the dress:. (Having trouble editing on phone; will do that on pc on a few minutes)  

Spoiler

IMG_1293.thumb.JPG.b9b4901f5f1d3a8705f36a67434d1ff3.JPG

and on a hanger:

Spoiler

IMG_1294.thumb.JPG.2b1e8d318cc378492c93751af4278d93.JPG

here it is on, just to show the skirt; there's a crinoline under it.  it has a side zip that won't quite go all the way up.  if i lose an inch and a half around the torso, i could wear it.

Spoiler

IMG_1298.JPG

this one shows the construction; my friend has been sewing for 35+ years, so needless to say, she's very good.

Spoiler

IMG_1299.JPG

and another closeup:

Spoiler

IMG_1300.JPG

IMG_1293.JPG

The sisters are hosting a YL webinar to teach more people about essential oils (aka, get more people to sign up underneath them) and you can even win an essential oil if you invite 5 friends to the webinar. And you don't need to worry about what to write, the sisters already fixed that for you! 

"A couple of my favorite bloggers, the Boyer Sisters from b-well.co, are hosting an online Essential Oils 101 webinar!  It’s on July 20th @ 7:30pm EST. Here’s a little excerpt from the class:

“… Jessica and Charlotte Boyer will dive deeper, and help you better understand the WHY of essential oils. It’s all too easy to view these little bottles of oil as perfume replacements or luxuries, so they want to dispel those myths and equip you with the knowledge you need to get started on your oily journey! “

(...)

I am SO excited! There will be a live Q&A, plus a gift for every attendee! If you’ve ever wanted to learn about Essential Oils, now is your chance. See you there!" 

1 hour ago, wikinggirl said:

dive deeper, and help you better understand the WHY of essential oils

Or you could just read the descriptions on the Holland & Barrett website and order them from there.

I know part of the plan is to appeal to people who want to start their own MLM ventures, but really, is there much more to know beyond "Lavender: aids relaxation" and "Eucalyptus: clears up a cold" etc

Maybe there is idk

I don't think I want to go on an oily journey.

And if I did, it would not involve Jessica and Charlotte.

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived