IGNORED

The Boyer Sisters: Part 4

samurai_sarah

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Daddy Boyer. A classic "who farted?" glare - gave me a much needed laugh.

Behold the face of a man who just isn't feeling the enchantment of watching a bunch of costumed dweebs attempt dancing.

Edit: maybe he accidentally caught a glimpse of Gabe's nether regions, because those pants leave nothing to the imagination.:pb_eek:

7 hours ago, ladyamylynn said:

Behold the face of a man who just isn't feeling the enchantment of watching a bunch of costumed dweebs attempt dancing.

Edit: maybe he accidentally caught a glimpse of Gabe's nether regions, because those pants leave nothing to the imagination.:pb_eek:

I love dress up parties and if I could sew, I would be Elizabeth Bennett and force my husband to be Darcy. But if I made my dad come, he would not dress up and would be making the exact same face. I just love that these girls are so into it and their dad is Grumpy Boyer in every picture we've seen. 

I would do this. (Our wedding was actually a costume party, but it ended up being mostly Star Trek uniforms.) 
No offense to Gabe, but he looks exactly as I picture Mr. Collins from Pride & Prejudice.

12 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

The Boyer ladies like Elizabeth Gaskell? Rockin'.

Well, apparently they liked the BBC version of Wives and Daughters, as did I, even with the totally made-up out of thin air romantic ending.  They may not have actually read any Gaskell.

I was more surprised that they have apparently been watching Call the Midwife.  There's some pretty explicit stuff in that show.

I love Brigid's dress and that color suits her.  She really is a good seamstress.

43 minutes ago, FeministShrew said:

I would do this. (Our wedding was actually a costume party, but it ended up being mostly Star Trek uniforms.) 
No offense to Gabe, but he looks exactly as I picture Mr. Collins from Pride & Prejudice.

That's great.  What was your wedding dress like?

And most definitely Mr. Collins.

I didn't spot Levi in any of the pictures they posted. Yes, I'm a loser who actually spent time scouring each picture! But, I did spot Jessica dancing with someone. Not a big deal, but at least it looks like she was having fun!

I'm sorry, but I didn't like Brigid's dress at all. I know it's a costume, but I think she looks really old in the picture of her with Gabe. The dress looks well made, which is impressive, but I audibly gasped when I first saw that picture of them!

It's a pretty dress- that color and fabric  is beautiful, but as with everything the sisters sew, the fit is way, way off. She desperately needs correct undergarments, otherwise this dress looks like an incredibly fancy bathrobe. Same goes for Charlotte's Liesl dress, although to a lesser extent. You can't just make any dress "modest" by making it baggy through the top. 

I can see the fit issues, but I still really like the dresses.  I'm only a beginning seamstress, so I admire the folks who can pull off some of those very detailed historical costumes. It's perhaps a bit over the top compared to what I would do for a birthday party, but the ball sounds like fun!  I would totally enjoy something like that, though my costume probably wouldn't be 100% homemade.

Some of these people, like the girls on the left in this pic, look so.... normal? Maybe Gabe and Levi, through jobs outside the home, just get to socialize more? I wonder how the girls feel around so many people their age, when they grew up with each other as only friends...

Also, I find it ridiculous that Jess and Charlotte had to bring their parents as chaperones. For God's sake, let your adult daughters drive themselves a few hours away, attend a clean sober dance, and sleep at their married sister's house. It doesn't seem like the other youth had their parents there.

IMG_0085.jpg

New post up.  Charlotte wants to know what is growing in your thought garden.  Thought gardens can be very dangerous if you don't weed out the dangerous thoughts.

If you let these thoughts sit and grow long enough, they eventually come to a climax, and spread seeds which then sprout up as more, and more sinful, shallow thoughts. It’s a vicious cycle if you don’t, literally, nip it in the bud.

Onions, dear child. I'm growing intellectual onions.  They add flavor to my life and are thought to have  antioxidant and antibiotic properties.  They propagate by sets not seeds and have, sadly, yet to come to a climax.

4 hours ago, FeministShrew said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this. :laughing-jumpingpurple: 

45 minutes ago, usedbicycle said:

Some of these people, like the girls on the left in this pic, look so.... normal? Maybe Gabe and Levi, through jobs outside the home, just get to socialize more? I wonder how the girls feel around so many people their age, when they grew up with each other as only friends...

I noticed that, too! Some of the girls are dressed scandalously, compared to the Boyer sisters! The girl with the black dress, tights and knee high boots, the girl in the pink fairy dress and Marilyn Monroe :o 

I think I just feel kind of sorry for Brigid a lot of the time. She seems so old for her 19 years. That dress looks heavy and not easy or fun to dance in. I don't know, I look back on my times as a 19 year old and it was such a carefree time. It was a time to have fun without having to be a full-time adult yet! Poor Brigid is already married and will likely be pregnant soon. To each their own, I suppose, but I find it sad.

4 hours ago, FeministShrew said:

Oh my god. Yes.

48 minutes ago, usedbicycle said:

Also, I find it ridiculous that Jess and Charlotte had to bring their parents as chaperones. For God's sake, let your adult daughters drive themselves a few hours away, attend a clean sober dance, and sleep at their married sister's house. It doesn't seem like the other youth had their parents there.

One of my first thoughts was "Wow, those are some pretty alternative haircuts for the Boyer crowd..." Not to mention the apparent guest dressed as Marilyn Monroe. Although Jessica did teach us all at one point that halter tops can totally be made modest...:pb_rollseyes:*

*http://boyersisters.com/2015/07/what-i-made-the-lady-marlowe-halter-top/

17 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I laughed so loud when I saw Daddy Boyer's face. 

IMG_1621.JPG

Now I'm puzzled. I admit, I don't follow their blog or notice their FB posts (I'm seldom on FB these days, for various reasons). Is Father Boyer always this sour in photos, as I've picked up from a comment?

Which makes me wonder. Is part of their conventional wisdom that being a Patriarch is a Serious Business that consumes a man and haunts him at all times? Is Gabe going to become sour-faced as soon as the worries of fatherhood descend upon him? Is the old patriarch disapproving of the women at the ball with skirts above the knees? (Flaming temptresses, all.)

Is the Patriarchal life not all he envisioned it to be?

His eyes look sad, or angry, or maybe both.

IIRC the Boyer modesty rules are a little different: skinny jeans can be modest (if you're thin, because curvy bodies are inherently immodest, which is a can o' worms for another day) and so on. A lot of the commenters on their blog are more gung-ho long-skirts long-sleeves types but not the sisters themselves.

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

If you let these thoughts sit and grow long enough, they eventually come to a climax, and spread seeds which then sprout up as more, and more sinful, shallow thoughts.

Well now My thought garden is feeling rather dirty after reading this.....

Gabe creeps me out. I don't know why. I think it's the weird haircut and half-fake-smile thing. He reminds me of Wormtail from Harry Potter.

(and yes, I say this knowing he will read it, but he has never responded to my original question to him so I doubt he'll care.)

(my original question: as a libertarian what democratic policies have directly harmed you and yours? For example, the libertarian and republican policies of not providing healthcare to poor and disabled people would lead directly to my death.)

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I love dress up parties and if I could sew, I would be Elizabeth Bennett and force my husband to be Darcy.

Which Darcy?  Because I'm cackling, imagining the Colin Firth BBC version, where he's just come out of the lake - you chucking a bucket of water over your husb every time it looked like he was drying out...

I have to ask - you honestly expected otherwise?

1 hour ago, anachronistic said:

Gabe creeps me out. I don't know why. I think it's the weird haircut and half-fake-smile thing. He reminds me of Wormtail from Harry Potter.

(and yes, I say this knowing he will read it, but he has never responded to my original question to him so I doubt he'll care.)

(my original question: as a libertarian what democratic policies have directly harmed you and yours? For example, the libertarian and republican policies of not providing healthcare to poor and disabled people would lead directly to my death.)

He's still around.  He never answered my question about complementarian marriage either, and I'm not holding my breath.

It's not Gabe's looks - it is his attitude, arrogance and ignorance that creep me out.

15 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

It's not Gabe's looks - it is his attitude, arrogance and ignorance that creep me out.

I won't snark on his face, because who among us can help our face? His haircut, on the other hand. A better style would really help the situation. 

Weird that you mention complementarian marriage right now, @Palimpsest -- I just came back to this thread to apologize for derailing the discussion of the party post, buuuut ---

I had a really interesting conversation with my brother the other day (wherein I revealed the amount of brainspace I devote to obsessing over and critiquing fundies) and we discussed the ultimate nonsensical nature of establishing rigid complementary roles based on gender. Of course one could write a huuuuge essay/book, and I'm sure many academics have done exactly that, but what it came down to in our conversation was this: just the (apparent) existence of sexual dimorphism doesn't justify that roles in relationships follow a single mold, because of the diversity of human behavior and personality -- and many different forms of complementarianism have reasonable arguments.

Please bear in mind reading this, I do not subscribe to cis-hetero-biased thinking, but I'm trying to type this from the perspective of a fundie who believes in the "one man, one woman, there's no such thing as any other genders and no acceptable sexualities but straight," etc. sort of thing.

• Why are men and not women held up as the "strength/protectors" of a heterosexual couple? The uterus is the strongest human muscle, and women are known to exhibit incredible protective power on behalf of their families. Sometimes they're stereotyped as having even bigger stores of protectiveness over children than men. Think of the term "Mama bear" and what it evokes. Men might have muscles that can be built bigger by sheer testosterone, but there's no real validity to suggesting they're the only side of a relationship capable of "defending" the family. God help anyone who threatened me and my siblings as kids, I have no doubt in my mind that my mother could be a deadly force.
  • If women have to go through the suffering of pregnancy and pain of childbirth, why then do they also raise the children? There's a complementarian argument to be made that since women bear the children, men should stay home and raise them. That's its own form of balance, right? 
  • Why is complementarianism not a time trade-off? Why is it not suggested in fundie circles that parents switch off working? If children absolutely must be home-schooled, why don't fundie cultures encourage the mom and dad to take turns, say, every five years, working on and off so that they can each develop themselves as adults out in the world, and still be there in a balanced way for their kids? I was homeschooled, and my parents actually did switch off and split career/child raising responsibilities.

The answer to my rhetorical questions are, of course, because "complementarianism" is rigged in favor of men having decision-making and political power, and women serving them. It's in the Bible, it's in fundamentalist rhetoric. The entire concept of a "helpmeet" is not a complementarian one, it's a subservient one. Fundies need to admit that and stop pretending the umbrella model is one of balance -- it's one of subjugation and control.

@Coconut Flan, your avatar is giving me nervous giggles.

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived