IGNORED

Another Duggar courting- Joy and Austin, Pt3

SassyPants

It's really scary to think about the fact that I have been more ”intimate” with friends, distant relatives, co workers and acquaintances then Joy will have been with the man she marries and promises to live with for ever. 

My first kiss was also my first boyfriend and we're still friends and he is great. Still pretty happy we're not married though ...

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/13/2016 at 5:24 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

Just saw the pictures of the dinner. What is it with this family and those awful sundaes? At least Joy's smile looks genuine.

I can't think of a reason why she wouldn't be genuinely happy (yet) in the context of her worldview. She has been rewarded with a godly man thanks to taking all the steps she's been taught to stay a godly woman. Soon (or already maybe, only TLC will tell) she will be engaged (younger than any of her other sisters were!), married (finally in he season of life they've been praying about since she was born!), and filling her own quiver. She is steeped in the kool aid and probably thrilled that everything is falling into place exactly as planned. 

On 13.12.2016 at 4:11 PM, lomo6 said:

Spot on. It's also worth noting that the Bates didn't get their own TV show until ~2012 or so, which lasted a season, and then a couple of years with nothing until Bringing Up Bates came on the air. And I doubt they make as much per episode as the Duggars as they've never been as popular/famous (Erin Bates is not making the cover of People magazine any time soon). So the Bates kids had a much longer experience actually living on the kind of income one could hope to get with no advanced training, which then had to be split across  a dozenty kids. 

The Duggars, meanwhile, first started appearing on TLC about 12 years ago, when the now-married girls were 10-12 (and Joy was 6). They moved into their TLC-funded McMansion shortly thereafter, and had their own regular show by 2008. Only the oldest kids have any memories of their smaller first house - but then they spent their teen years flying around the world and toting iPhones.  And TLC barely skipped a beat before creating a new show after the Joshley scandals sunk 19KAC.

Jessa might be regretting her choice at this point, quite frankly. Jeremy / Derrick aren't exactly Gordon Gekko, but they both have legit 4-year degrees and careers (OK, I know it's easy to make fun of Derrick but he could always go back to accounting if the grift-ssionary career doesn't work out). 

I think we might underestimate the power and money the Duggars (actually Jim Bob) have. JB is a real estate mogul in NW Arkansas and I bet they have far more real estate than we have ever seen on TV. From what we have seen on tTv they own at least 3 mansions, other houses, warehouses, at least one plane, grounds, shops (Jana's tattoo parlor, the car lot etc.). This is only the real estate shown on TV. They probably have at least double the amount of real estate, also outside of NW ARkansas? maybe for tax reasons?. JB has excellent connections to the political and financial elite of NW Arkansas (I always wondered how Josh could get that highly payed job in Washington and it must have been through JB's influence, and how Josh's first scandal never came to light int he first 10 years that passed even though douzens of people knew). This is a very well connceted family. JB is a smart business man. He knows that the gravy train won't go forever and is backing up with businesses and real estate. It is difficult to do for 19 kids but I think JB can actually manage to set up his kids for at least one more generation.

1 smart man (I do not think JB is necessarily smart, just cunning and opportunistic) among 35 needy, lazy, uneducated and unskilled, for the most part, folks, does not an empire make. 

Educated and lazy- ok

Uneducated and highly motivated-ok

Uneducated and lazy- nope.

Someone other than JB needs to be highly educated, skilled, motivated and have a long term vision.

TL;DR- the boys need to get educated and then secure good paying jobs- all of them.

7 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

1 smart man (I do not think JB is necessarily smart, just cunning and opportunistic) among 35 needy, lazy, uneducated and unskilled, for the most part, folks, does not an empire make. 

Educated and lazy- ok

Someone other than JB needs to be highly educated, skilled, motivated and have a long term vision.

TL;DR- the boys need to get educated and then secure good paying jobs- all of them.

I don't know about the US but where I'm from even highly educated and motivated people don't come very far without the right connections. In fact, it is much better being uneducated and lazy but with connections, instead of educated and motivated but without any connections.  If there is anything i have learnt during the last few years then this is it.

In the working field: connections connections connections!

in real estate: location location location.

2 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Educated and lazy- ok

Hear, hear. And it baffles me how one either smart and/or opportunistic man who has managed to take the right steps to get his super sized family set up well financially somehow has not instilled those same values in his children. 

He comes off absolutely unbearable every time he opens his mouth about money and the "buy used save the difference" motto, but the truth is he is very financially savvy. Why isn't he passing that on?? 

20 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

It is difficult to do for 19 kids but I think JB can actually manage to set up his kids for at least one more generation.

I agree that he might be trying, but if he really expects all 19 of those kids to be fruitful and multiply I don't think he can successfully set them up financially for another generation. There would be too many people to keep up in a lifestyle his kids will never ever give up. He has backed himself into a corner wanting to hold onto control of everyone and not passing on his own skills that would allow them to be successful in a similar way for themselves.

The Duggar family is it's own cult within a cult The only smart people JB wants are the people helping him managing his cult.

Some of those people are the reason Joshgate 1.0 didn't come out until 12 years later. Some may have had a hand in keeping the show going. He has political connections that helped Josh get the job at FRC.

This is just speculation. I have no proof of anything, and could be completely wrong.

Big UGH!

Duggar years (especially for the girls) are like negative dog years. Joy's 19 is really 12 in the non-Duggar world.  

I hate this. She should be making mistakes at frat parties and stressing over research papers, not having her headship/authority  transferred to that family residing in that dust bowl of a camp. It looks like everything there would just stay coated in red dirt. Yuk. 

1 hour ago, Nikedagain? said:

Duggar years (especially for the girls) are like negative dog years. Joy's 19 is really 12 in the non-Duggar world.  

Exactly, I don't think it's fair or accurate to compare the experience of someone who marries at 18 in normal world to the experience of someone who marries at 18 in Duggarworld. 

These "kidults" are deprived of the normal experiences (such as independent decision making and critical thinking) that take people from childhood to adulthood. Their parents are a disgrace, and deserve full blame for disabling their children in this manner. By depriving their children of education, which also includes life awareness and experience, they are doing a disservice not only to them, but to society.

DoG knows we don't need any more "under-educated but over-opinionated" people in this world!

6 minutes ago, Percy said:

Starcasm has posted a picture of Joy and Austin, the top Joy is wearing has 'Austin' printed over her heart.

Ew

5 hours ago, Percy said:

Starcasm has posted a picture of Joy and Austin, the top Joy is wearing has 'Austin' printed over her heart.

Awww, just like those 14 year-old couples at Disneyland. I wonder if she gets to wear his home school letterman's jacket 

For those who haven't seen the "Austin" hoodie. REALLY, Joy???? Of course, she probably just looked up apparel for the city. If she had that custom-made....eeeeewwww...

15391486_944922752308041_3730754118875038176_o.jpg

4 minutes ago, marmalade said:

For those who haven't seen the "Austin" hoodie. REALLY, Joy???? Of course, she probably just looked up apparel for the city. If she had that custom-made....eeeeewwww...

15391486_944922752308041_3730754118875038176_o.jpg

I thought his name is spelled differently from the city in texas for some reason...I doubt she had it made, might have found it at the thrift store...is very odd that she would be allowed to wear it, considering the placement O.o didn't they announce that they aren't even going to hold hands before marriage or something idiotic like that?  if so, weird that she would be running around in public with austin on her boob, getting pictures made and all...

I just can't make sense of how these people think, boggles my brain :S I need a nap.

I feel so sad for Joy. 19 is young to be considering a new life as a married spouse.

13 hours ago, socalrules said:

Awww, just like those 14 year-old couples at Disneyland. I wonder if she gets to wear his home school letterman's jacket 

I want to tell her to act her age, but then I realize she is. :my_sad:

27 minutes ago, bellina said:

It looks like the dark blue part of the front of her shirt is the state of Texas.

Left hand hidden.

I doubt they're engaged yet (I think it will happen in the next two weeks, though). But they DO know how to hide that hand to get people talking. Jinger also hid her hand as well during the trip to Philly and Jersey before the NYC engagement. 

3 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I want to tell her to act her age, but then I realize she is. :my_sad:

Yep. That is something a teenager with her first bf would do. Too bad she will marry her first bf as a teen next year....

So I want to talk about the whole no hand holding before marriage thing. 

On another thread I predicted the fundies would keep trying to one up each other with the strict courtship rules until a dude doesn't even look at his wife until his first child is born. I was joking but these fundies want To outdo one another in a such competitive way. Like who can have the most self control. Joy is going to win as the most pure before marriage. Barf. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a couple in the Duggar circle not even touching at all before marriage.  No side hug, no hand holding, no shoulder touching, nothing.  

I doubt it's that hard to not touch your bf if your relationship is very short before they get married. And don't live in the same town. 

I think they've said no hand holding before engagement. They didn't say anything about waiting til' marriage.  i think they just wanted to make a point that they wouldn't be going as far as Jinger.

On 12/16/2016 at 1:11 PM, eveandadam said:

I think we might underestimate the power and money the Duggars (actually Jim Bob) have. JB is a real estate mogul in NW Arkansas and I bet they have far more real estate than we have ever seen on TV. From what we have seen on tTv they own at least 3 mansions, other houses, warehouses, at least one plane, grounds, shops (Jana's tattoo parlor, the car lot etc.). This is only the real estate shown on TV. They probably have at least double the amount of real estate, also outside of NW ARkansas? maybe for tax reasons?. JB has excellent connections to the political and financial elite of NW Arkansas (I always wondered how Josh could get that highly payed job in Washington and it must have been through JB's influence, and how Josh's first scandal never came to light int he first 10 years that passed even though douzens of people knew). This is a very well connceted family. JB is a smart business man. He knows that the gravy train won't go forever and is backing up with businesses and real estate. It is difficult to do for 19 kids but I think JB can actually manage to set up his kids for at least one more generation.

Oh yeah, the real estate is definitely a big part of their wealth, and it's also a major reason why the married kids don't seem to need jobs that badly because they get to live in one of Daddy's McMansions for free! 

I know that Jim Bob was into real estate and local politics before TLC entered the picture. But clearly the reality show money has helped him get to the next level. The home-sewn clothes and stuffing 14 kids into a 3-br ranch suggested they weren't exactly living high on the hog previously. Though they probably have been doing quite well for a family with 2-4 kids. 

A few days ago a post here made me look at the Arkansas Real Estate Commission site. I saw that JB and Mary (Gramma) have current RE Licenses. Both took the necessary CE's for recertification. It also showed Joseph G. has a license that expires 12/31/16 and has not turned in any CE's.

https://www.ark.org/arec_renewals/index.php/search/agent/new

Just type in Duggar and chose which one you want to look at. Not much info there tho, just name, license number, RE Company (Good Neighbor Realty), expiration date of license and if CE's are filed.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived