IGNORED

Another Duggar courting- Joy and Austin, Pt3

SassyPants

I'm not surprised at all if Joy sticks to the rules. I remember she was policing Jill (?) to follow courtship rules. Plus she's young and her boyfriend has parents just like the Duggars. So they won't be full hugging before marriage. No way. 

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this were a first serious relationship, it might be sweet. Having to marry at the end of it is pretty frightening. Certainly glad I didn't marry my first serious boyfriend.

6 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

If this were a first serious relationship, it might be sweet. Having to marry at the end of it is pretty frightening. Certainly glad I didn't marry my first serious boyfriend.

No kidding. I still adore the man, but I could not be married to him...

47 minutes ago, grandmadugger said:

Plus JRod outed it as the church she went to with them after Jinger's wedding. 

JRod reveals all the secrets. How are they still friends with her? 

16 minutes ago, nst said:

the soon to be husband and wife went to dinner with the married parents because God wants them to show us how it's done and it's his birthday 

How do we know this?

35 minutes ago, newyorkgirl52 said:

JRod reveals all the secrets. How are they still friends with her? 

I like to think Jill out grifted JB and they aren't really friends. It makes me giddy. 

2 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

Someone please remind me how old JA is? 18? 19?

JoyAnna just turned 19 on October 28th.

Wow, so young, so sheltered..... so naive..... and headed into a marriage courtship. already.  

I know an 18 year old who is talking about marrying next summer. I keep having to remind myself that:

1. I am not her mom, or anyone close enough to give her unsolicited advice on her life.
  2. She seems to be planning on continuing college and graduating.
  3. (Most important, IMO) She will likely delay having children for some years. No birth control is infallible, but as far as I can see (their reproductive choices are none of my beeswax, but I love her and I worry), they have no Quiverful ambitions and both their families value education and stability over letting God open and close their wombs.

I start worrying about her every time I read this thread, though. 19 is so young to make such a big decision. I know people who've married younger and done well, but I think of them as exceptions.

I married Mr. D when I was 19. We'll be celebrating 16 years this year. I had a baby before I could legally drink. It worked for us. Will I encourage my kids to do the same? No. We both had more than our years worth of experience when we got hitched. People need to figure out who they are alone before becoming part of a couple permanently. I really think that's the difference. Maturity and life experience. 

I had been 20 for 2 weeks when I got married-34 years in 3 weeks. Bigfoot was born six weeks before my 22nd birthday. Both of my married kids were older than I was when they got married-a fact my daughter likes to rub in my face.

We can't compare a Duggar 19 or 23 year-old to one that has lived a normal life. At 23, a Duggar girl is more like 12 year-old, little independence, never made an adult decision and maybe not allowed to be out and about by themselves. I always find fundy marriages a little creepy. These young women have lived the life of little girls until the moment they get married. Then they are suddenly adult enough to be a wife and have sex because they were able to have their first kiss in marriage. 

Most 19 year-olds have dated, gone to some type of school, had a job, hung out with friends, made decisions only they should make about their lives. JoyAnna has graduated from the SOTDRT. She has done nothing other 19 year-olds have done. She absolutely shouldn't be getting married when she has no life experience whatsoever.

Let's not forget clingy newlywed Jill that had lunch everyday with Derrick at work and spent the rest of her time with her siblings at her parents' house. She appeared to have no idea how to fill her time once married other than revert back to TTH routines. 

Joy does seem to be (cough) somewhat more intelligent and independent that Jillypoo. Not that I'm advocating marriage for her;she is too young.  Joy just seems better able to manage herself than Jillypoo plus with the camp thing, she'll have things to do. Jilly seems unable to entertain herself for five flippin' minutes.

Remember, Joy didn't get as much screen time as her older sisters. So we may see a different side to her if the show lasts long enough. Personally, I think she now comes across as bossy.

8 hours ago, closetcagebaby said:

The "related" ads on the magazine article made me laugh. :pb_lol:

IMG_0089.PNG

On what planet is 'no physical contact' the traditional route?

(I know the answer is Planet Fundie)

Whenever I look at Joy, I see the little girl putting her hands over the TV to stop her brothers from being defrauded watching a chat show that their parents were about to be on. :pb_lol: 

On 12/11/2016 at 4:16 PM, socalrules said:

We have heard a lot about how the Bates family struggled financially before the show. I think the girls chose men who they knew would do what was necessary to financially support their family. I think they did not want to go back to struggling. It's the same reason Zach likely went into law enforcement. It's a good paycheck with great benefits. They can't depend on the show forever.

I think the Duggar girls assume the show will last forever and provide For the lifestyle of which they have become accustomed. They know their parents have a lot of money/real estate and the days of struggle are over. The show was lost and a new show was started after the Josh scandal. Why would they think the gravy train would ever end? They can afford to be non-paycheck or low paycheck missionaries or preachers. 

Spot on. It's also worth noting that the Bates didn't get their own TV show until ~2012 or so, which lasted a season, and then a couple of years with nothing until Bringing Up Bates came on the air. And I doubt they make as much per episode as the Duggars as they've never been as popular/famous (Erin Bates is not making the cover of People magazine any time soon). So the Bates kids had a much longer experience actually living on the kind of income one could hope to get with no advanced training, which then had to be split across  a dozenty kids. 

The Duggars, meanwhile, first started appearing on TLC about 12 years ago, when the now-married girls were 10-12 (and Joy was 6). They moved into their TLC-funded McMansion shortly thereafter, and had their own regular show by 2008. Only the oldest kids have any memories of their smaller first house - but then they spent their teen years flying around the world and toting iPhones.  And TLC barely skipped a beat before creating a new show after the Joshley scandals sunk 19KAC.

Jessa might be regretting her choice at this point, quite frankly. Jeremy / Derrick aren't exactly Gordon Gekko, but they both have legit 4-year degrees and careers (OK, I know it's easy to make fun of Derrick but he could always go back to accounting if the grift-ssionary career doesn't work out). 

3 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Whenever I look at Joy, I see the little girl putting her hands over the TV to stop her brothers from being defrauded watching a chat show that their parents were about to be on. :pb_lol: 

Me too! And she seemed to get great JOY out of depriving her brothers of seeing anything defrauding.

17 minutes ago, Screamapillar said:

Me too! And she seemed to get great JOY out of depriving her brothers of seeing anything defrauding.

I remember I think it was Grandma Mary explaining to the TV crew what she was doing, even she looked a little embarrassed by it. 

11 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Just saw the pictures of the dinner. What is it with this family and those awful sundaes? At least Joy's smile looks genuine.

They're free on birthdays...

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived