IGNORED

What Now?

Destiny

Two more things from last night's 60 Minutes interview:

Trump's tax returns are still being audited.  Notice how he never said he'd revamp the IRS during any of the speeches he made while campaigning.  Wouln't want to make the IRS more efficient, right?

He now says he'll think about appointing a special prosecutor to look into Hillary's emails.  Because if he actually did it, it would be an impeachable offense (yay!).

http://fortune.com/2016/10/10/donald-trump-special-prosecutor-hillary-clinton/

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How would appointing a special prosecutor be an impeachable offense? (I am asking honestly, not snarkily.)  ETA:   I read the article.  I get it now.  Sure, he can ask his AG to look into it, but he cannot make his AG look into it.  And how would it be good to get rid of Trump when we will just end up with Pence who is even more vile because he is more subtle and polished about it?

I think it is likely Pres. Obama will issue blanket clemency on the Clinton Foundation and Email issues.  And he should.  The country  has got to move on from this.  

Here's a scary thing that needs our attention.

Since 2008, the Republicans have used their anger towards Obama not only to obstruct him from doing anything, but also to rebuild from the ground up. Look at what has happened to Dems in state and federal positions since then:

"The result is that Republicans control both the governor's mansion and legislature in 24 states, 70 of the nation's 99 state legislative chambers, both chambers in 30 states, plus Nebraska's single chamber, and 31 governor's mansions." (from Google) 38 states are needed to ratify constitutional amendments, and the GOP is getting there.

I feel stupid for missing this, though it was less obvious to me because I've lived in blue states since then. But we can't ignore this anymore.

We have to get involved in local races...nationally. Getting more Dems into state government not only helps prevent who knows what kind of awful constitutional amendments, but also helps put together infrastructure for future federal runs.

We have to let this outrage fuel us the way it fueled Republicans the last eight years. Back to the basics. A grassroots movement in local politics. Build ourselves back up to the top.

2 hours ago, zygote373 said:

Here's a scary thing that needs our attention.

Since 2008, the Republicans have used their anger towards Obama not only to obstruct him from doing anything, but also to rebuild from the ground up. Look at what has happened to Dems in state and federal positions since then:

"The result is that Republicans control both the governor's mansion and legislature in 24 states, 70 of the nation's 99 state legislative chambers, both chambers in 30 states, plus Nebraska's single chamber, and 31 governor's mansions." (from Google) 38 states are needed to ratify constitutional amendments, and the GOP is getting there.

I feel stupid for missing this, though it was less obvious to me because I've lived in blue states since then. But we can't ignore this anymore.

We have to get involved in local races...nationally. Getting more Dems into state government not only helps prevent who knows what kind of awful constitutional amendments, but also helps put together infrastructure for future federal runs.

We have to let this outrage fuel us the way it fueled Republicans the last eight years. Back to the basics. A grassroots movement in local politics. Build ourselves back up to the top.

The GOP has played the long game, patiently sucking up local and state seats. I admit I've been pretty complacent, because I live in a state that is very divided, but the region where I live, which has the bulk of the state's population, normally leans Democrat. Next year, our Governor is out, because of term limits. He's a Democrat with pretty close ties to the Clintons. Frankly, he's been a fair to middling Governor, but I'm now worried that a crazy GOP hothead will get swept into office. I have to figure out what I can do to help to ensure that the GOP doesn't take over our Governorship....off to look up statewide Democratic resources...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/two-presidential-electors-to-colleagues-dump-trump/ar-AAkhZmV?li=BBmkt5R

Washington's Bret Chiafolo and Colorado's Michael Baca hope at least 37 of their GOP colleagues will abandon Trump and force the House into picking the next president instead, Politico said Monday.

Politico said the pair's so-called "Moral Electors" movement has already found one backer in Washington's Robert Satiacum.

"This is a longshot," Chiafolo told Politico in a phone interview Monday. "It's a hail Mary. However, I do see situations where - when we've already had two or three [Republican] electors state publicly they didn't want to vote for Trump. How many of them have real issue with Donald Trump in private?"

18 hours ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

Perhaps I've been unlucky with the consultants I've encountered because they were fairly full of pseudoscientific bullshit, but that's MLM for you. You are probably right about the Norwex cloths picking up most bacteria, but I'm willing to bet most cloths will do the same.  And the inhibition of bacterial growth within the cloths doesn't work quickly enough to prevent spreading germs picked up by the cloth on one surface from being wiped onto another.  The silver will just make the cloth less icky  the next time that it gets used.  

Look,the cloths  are great for removing particles of dirt, but real sanitizing is done with things,like bleach,  that KILL germs.  I don't really need most of my house sanitized (just clean) but if I ever get a surgeon coming at me with instruments she just wiped with Norwex, I will be in big trouble. 

Last I'm going to say about this here, because this is a political thread and I don't care enough about cleaning cloths to continue to engage.  You just hit a pet peeve of mine to get this much response, tbh!

Haha, that's funny. We all have our pet peeves;)

Perhaps it's residual effects of my day-long migraine today, but can someone help direct me where to send my demands to help the electorate people change this whole fiasco? Google is giving me no answers but I can't promise I am asking the right question...

33 minutes ago, FlamingFundie said:

Perhaps it's residual effects of my day-long migraine today, but can someone help direct me where to send my demands to help the electorate people change this whole fiasco? Google is giving me no answers but I can't promise I am asking the right question...

Here is a semi-complete list of electors for the 2016 election.  I'd suggest focusing on states like PA, where the largest areas went for Hillary, but that were turned to the Republican side. Unfortunately, it looks like there are no states where Hillary won the popular vote, but Drumpf took the electoral vote. It seems that Hillary's boost in the popular vote is due to Democratic strongholds.

6 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Here is a semi-complete list of electors for the 2016 election.  I'd suggest focusing on states like PA, where the largest areas went for Hillary, but that were turned to the Republican side. Unfortunately, it looks like there are no states where Hillary won the popular vote, but Drumpf took the electoral vote. It seems that Hillary's boost in the popular vote is due to Democratic strongholds.

Right. It would be impossible to win the electors in a state in which she did not win the popular vote. However, in the states with slim margins, there could be a chance to appeal to human decency.  But since human decency is a concept that has jumped the shark.... don't count on it. 

11 hours ago, JMarie said:

Sometimes I wonder if a panicking Trump isn't back door dealing with some of the EC to switch their vote now that he's discovered what a headache being president actually is.  I'm sure by this point he's hoping as much as the rest of us if there isn't a way out of this ridiculous situation.  Unfortunately, if he bails it's likely Pence will get the job and Lord help us at that point.  I'd rather put up with an obnoxious idiot than a religious zealot.

Samantha Bee provides the actual address to mail letters to Paul Ryan. She is having her staff bombard him with stories of racists acts since Trump was elected. 

20 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Samantha Bee provides the actual address to mail letters to Paul Ryan. She is having her staff bombard him with stories of racists acts since Trump was elected. 

I really need marriage equality to stay legal. That way, Samantha Bee and I can divorce our husbands and marry each other instead. Sorry Mr. Raptor! Still love you, just love Samantha Bee more! :pb_lol:

---------

For those looking for ways to stay up to date on issues and legislation, I just found Abd downloaded an app called Countable. You can select certain issues important to you and those will pop up in a personalized newsfeed. Tell also tell you about three bills being voted on at the start of each week - that way you can keep up a bit on what Congress is up to.  If you add your address to your profile, it'll tell you who you're Congressional Reps are and let you know when (and how) they vote on an issue as well.

Its not perfect, but it is a good "cheater" version that can help a bit.

I think, in addition to boycotting the parts of the media that are reporting irresponsibly, or refusing to report on certain things at all (Trump/Russia, Trumps many trials that are coming up, etc.) - we also need to reward the parts of the media that are doing a good job. 

We need to email and thank them, like and retween their articles on social media, make sure they are encouraged to continue. 

Most of the mainstream media is reporting on Steve Bannon being a possible Trump appointment without mentioning his white supremacy ties. They are ignoring a lot of terrifying things that are happening with Trump. But there are a few places that are trying to hold him accountable: 

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/analysis-breitbart-s-steve-bannon-leads-alt-right-white-house-n683316

My to do list for today: 

1. Call State Rep and Senator to ask them to issue a statement on Steve Bannon

2. Email NBCNEWS and New York Times to thank them for reporting on Trump responsibly 

3. Implement 1 environmentally friendly thing into my day (I'm going to try to do this every day.) Today I'm going to reduce my paper towel and napkin consumption as much as possible. 

4. Continue researching companies that utilize environmentally friend practices (as well as the ones that don't) so I know where to shop. 

Just a tip for those who are writing their elected representatives by snail mail.

Remember that all letters must be screened to make sure that nobody is sending something deadly to the folks in Washington. Postcards will reach your elected officials much quicker since they don't have to be pre-screened for scary surprises.  If you use an oversized postcard, it will require the same postage as a first class letter.

Richard Burr is apparently getting annoyed with all the folks contacting him to discuss Trump. 

I’ve had many inquiries about President-Elect Trump’s transition team from those wanting to assist, to constituents wanting to offer their input and ideas. Please visit https://www.greatagain.gov/serve-america.html for information on the upcoming transition.

https://www.burr.senate.gov/contact/email

6 hours ago, Childless said:

Sometimes I wonder if a panicking Trump isn't back door dealing with some of the EC to switch their vote now that he's discovered what a headache being president actually is.  I'm sure by this point he's hoping as much as the rest of us if there isn't a way out of this ridiculous situation.  Unfortunately, if he bails it's likely Pence will get the job and Lord help us at that point.  I'd rather put up with an obnoxious idiot than a religious zealot.

I can see him resigning after he is confirmed in December- thus making Pence the POTUS- which is worse than Trump, IMO.

57 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Richard Burr is apparently getting annoyed with all the folks contacting him to discuss Trump. 

https://www.burr.senate.gov/contact/email

Aw, poor little Senator, having to field requests from constituents. Good grief. Maybe if he didn't want to listen to voters, he shouldn't have run for the office.

More advice on contacting your representatives: 

http://theslot.jezebel.com/how-to-effectively-lobby-your-congressperson-1788958124

Understand why phone calls and in-person meetings are more effective

Because emails and other written correspondence is so easily batched by computer programs, a hundred or a thousand emails on a subject both require the same amount of effort by staff. Phone calls are more effective because they require a staffer to be on the phone with someone and respond to questions immediately.

Calling your representative’s DC office might feel more natural because they are the office primarily responsible for managing legislation. However, the state office staffers are usually from your state and part of the community you live in—they are truly local. Also, state office numbers are less likely to be busy or have a long hold. Significant volumes of calls in a state office also require coordination by the DC and district office staff and get noticed right away.

From time to time, I had large groups of people come into our state office by appointment and share their stories. This was particularly effective with immigration and climate change groups who brought in experts to answer questions. They gave perspective and knowledge we would not have had otherwise. It is easy to get an appointment with a local staffer or a DC staffer, and these relationships pay off.

For those who are unable to make phone calls or in-person visits for any reason, that’s okay. It doesn’t mean your voice goes unheard. Most constituents have never contacted their representative, so you’re miles ahead of your neighbors. Sending emails and letters as part of a coordinated effort make a difference and send a message.

Also: 

55 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Aw, poor little Senator, having to field requests from constituents. Good grief. Maybe if he didn't want to listen to voters, he shouldn't have run for the office.

He has time to bitch about Hillary's emails, but no time to listen to constituents. I've lost my voice to a cold, but as soon as I get it back I shall start calling. 

1 hour ago, GeoBQn said:

You can count me as one of the people who "annoyed" him today!

Did you call or write? I've emailed but have not even gotten a generic response. 

I started the resource list. I need to adult a bit more, but please feel free to suggest links there.

Edit: @RoseWilder, I'll add the organisations in your link after I make my bed. SOMEONE TAKE THE INTERNET AWAY FROM ME SO I ADULT!

A list of organizations that are prepared to fight back against the Trump Administration: 

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/11/15/1599672/-Resistance-is-a-verb-Here-are-some-national-organizations-who-are-best-prepared-to-fight-back

If you want to help, a lot of those organizations have local chapters that are in need of volunteers. You can also make donations. 

Archived