IGNORED

What Now?

Destiny

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/14/2016 at 6:46 PM, FlamingFundie said:

Perhaps it's residual effects of my day-long migraine today, but can someone help direct me where to send my demands to help the electorate people change this whole fiasco? Google is giving me no answers but I can't promise I am asking the right question...

There is a change.org petition on this that is very near the 4,500,000 signature goal mark.

http://click.exacttarget.change.org/?qs=d59ea4970ee5cf7334a3ba6e9931234f37383f65551e7ba42bda4b350441238b4a3227fd6938310c854b9b41b4204b00

A woman on twitter has started the #grabyourwallet movement that is boycotting companies that sell Trump products: 

https://twitter.com/shannoncoulter?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

The movement has already resulted in one major online outlet dropping Ivanka's shoe line: 

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/11/major-online-fashion-outlet-drops-ivanka-trump-brand-because-nobody-wants-to-buy-her-shoes/

She also provides a list of alternative, female-friendly companies you can shop from. 

I found this information in the comments section of another site. It details what to do if your senator or rep's office is rude to you or won't take your call: 

They are supposed to talk to you but that does not mean they will. Scott Brown’s district staff people would refuse to take names or transfer beyond the switchboard and would taunt and yell at callers.

But yes, make the calls and if the staff treats you like Scott Brown’s staff did, ask for the Director of Constituent Services, file a complaint about the treatment you received AND deliver your message. Also, report any trouble you are having with a particular congressional representative to your entire congressional delegation. The MA congressional delegation got so fed up with Brown that they made him hire back Kennedy’s director of constituent services.

Over 160 House Democrats signed a letter denouncing Bannon's appointment. It was delivered to Trump Tower today:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/house-democrats-trump-steve-bannon-231497

If your House Rep was one of the signers, please send them your thanks. If they aren't - continue harassing them about why they haven't spoken out too.

55 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

@VelociRapture Sadly I'm that millennial that still can't read cursive so I'm hoping I can find a printed version somewhere if mine signed!

Lol! I haven't seen a version with actual signatures. If your Rep signed then they likely mentioned it somewhere - mine announced it on her Facebook page and that's how I knew. I'd recommend checking your Rep's social media, website, and googling them to see if they've popped up in the news lately.

@VelociRapture, I don't post much but I wanted to tell you thank you for your efforts. Based on who you said your representative is, you live ~30 minutes away from me. I've mentioned elsewhere here that I'm gay, and my wife and I just had a baby together. We actually moved here from the south back before marriage equality went through specifically so we could live and raise our (then future) children in a place with less homophobia and more legal rights. I've been in a serious tailspin since the election, not just because of the uncertainty of what a Trump administration might do, but because while my county went blue the town we live in went for Trump by almost 20 points. It's killed my sense of safety and security. I'm back to being nervous about being read as gay in public, even here in this state, and when I go walk around the block with the baby I can't help but look at the neighbors' houses and wonder if they voted for Trump and if so, do they hate us or are our rights just so cheap to them that they didn't care. It's the shittiest feeling ever. So it's indescribably comforting to me to come on FJ to read and know there are people like you in my area already starting to fight for us, and I wanted you to know that.

Also apologies for misspellings or awkward construction. It took me 30 minutes to peck this out one handed while I nursed the baby and I'm too tired to proofread. ;) 

A friend who lives in another part of the state from where I'm at just informed me that they attended a meeting tonight for Democratic women. They were expecting about 100 women to show up. Over 600 people attended, and there were even more people outside who couldn't fit into the meeting space!

4 hours ago, RoseWilder said:

A friend who lives in another part of the state from where I'm at just informed me that they attended a meeting tonight for Democratic women. They were expecting about 100 women to show up. Over 600 people attended, and there were even more people outside who couldn't fit into the meeting space!

Given that you live in the same state I do, this gives me some hope.  Maybe this state isn't quite the hell hole I thought it was.

12 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

@VelociRapture Sadly I'm that millennial that still can't read cursive so I'm hoping I can find a printed version somewhere if mine signed!

A total aside but this really threw me - I have heard they're no longer teaching cursive and kids can't read it, but it never occurred to me that it would include signatures.  Which, of course it would, duh, but are signatures now a thing of the past?  When a legal document asks for your printed name and then your signature, do you just print in both places?

Thank you everyone for everything you're doing here and all the info you're providing, it helps.  

5 hours ago, klavierspieler said:

@VelociRapture, I don't post much but I wanted to tell you thank you for your efforts. Based on who you said your representative is, you live ~30 minutes away from me. I've mentioned elsewhere here that I'm gay, and my wife and I just had a baby together. We actually moved here from the south back before marriage equality went through specifically so we could live and raise our (then future) children in a place with less homophobia and more legal rights. I've been in a serious tailspin since the election, not just because of the uncertainty of what a Trump administration might do, but because while my county went blue the town we live in went for Trump by almost 20 points. It's killed my sense of safety and security. I'm back to being nervous about being read as gay in public, even here in this state, and when I go walk around the block with the baby I can't help but look at the neighbors' houses and wonder if they voted for Trump and if so, do they hate us or are our rights just so cheap to them that they didn't care. It's the shittiest feeling ever. So it's indescribably comforting to me to come on FJ to read and know there are people like you in my area already starting to fight for us, and I wanted you to know that.

Also apologies for misspellings or awkward construction. It took me 30 minutes to peck this out one handed while I nursed the baby and I'm too tired to proofread. ;) 

Keep in mind, I'm in no way excusing anyone who voted for Trump.  It could be though, that your neighbors were voting on one specific issue (although that's a terrible way to vote).  I have a relative that is super religious.  She voted for Trump.  I asked her how she could do that given all the griping she usually does about morals in this country.  She said she doesn't like him, but voted for him because his SC nominee(s) would want to reverse Roe v. Wade.  That's it.  One issue.  I think she's going to be vastly disappointed and regret her vote (especially since her family is one that will be screwed over by Trump's tax plan), but there it is.  So, it's possible your community means you no harm, but voted because Trump would do X and HRC wouldn't or vise versa.  It's still terrible that they would not care about your rights, but you could ask people why they voted for him.  If you found out it was because of jobs or abortion or something, you'd probably be disgusted, but at least you'd feel safe.

7 hours ago, klavierspieler said:

You don't be need to thank me for doing the right thing. It's the least anyone with a moral compass would be doing. And I do have selfish reasons as well - like wanting to be sure my brother (who is Transgender and Bi) is safe. 

I'm really sorry you're feeling so unsafe right now. My town barely went to Trump - which surprises me a little because we do have a bit of a reputation for racists and assholes here. We definitely live in a very unique state in some ways. Lol!

I want you to know that there are way more people in this state who care for you and your family's safety than there are people who would try to hurt you. I'm not going to stop fighting for you or my brother or anyone else. Everyone deserves the right to live safely and peacefully. I can't do much right now because I'm seriously pregnant and because we honestly don't know exactly what the new Administration is ping to be capable of - but I fully intend to continue fighting to protect what makes this country so wonderful.

(And, side note: damn you type well one handed!!!)

ETA: If anyone gives you trouble, then feel free to private message me. I'm facing a steep learning curve on how to really be useful and helpful, but I'd be more than happy to try and help if I can. :pb_smile:

@ChildlessI get what you're saying and I do agree that a lot of people voted for reasons like that. My answer to those people is that they may not personally be racist/xenophobic/homophobic/sexist/misogynistic/etc. But by casting a vote for Trump they have shown that they don't care as much as they like to think they do. And that, in some ways, can be just as scary and harmful as outright hate. 

Just adding (not excusing!) - Nearly half of all Americans eligible to vote did. not. vote. While, in my mind, that makes them implicitly responsible for the outcome, it might help when thinking about your neighbors (or relatives, or whomever...)

I had written to all my representatives last week. So far only Thom Tillis has replied to a message I had sent about Trump attacking the First Amendment right to freedom of press. I actually got a real response. 

His reply was that America is filled with fake,inflammatory stories and shoddy journalism. but it is the government job to strenuously protect First Amendment rights, including freedom of press. He said that while fake news stories and poor journalism by traditional news outlets are a problem, the only cure is for citizens to speech out against him, not for government to intervene in anyway, even if government officials feel personally attacked. 

He is a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee and the subcommittee on the Constitution and he anticipates that there will be discussions regarding First Amendment rights. He says he will work to defend those rights if they come under attack. 

Anyway, it doesn't seem like he is willing to actually make a public statement against Trump. 

I can only speak for the one issue voters that are my facebook friends. Some of them have spent time complaining about the protesters. Some have posted hateful things about millennials. Some of them have posted articles defending their position. Some of them have posted "but Hillary" comments. Some have posted that everyone just needs to accept the election. Only one has posted something about struggling with her decision and being bothered by the racism. I encouraged her to contact her representative.

The #grabyourwallet campaign (the boycott of Trump products) that I mentioned on here the other day has expanded the boycott to include companies that advertise on Breitbart: 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vu0Y0HvadMgG_LN7dF8W7M66oPCcx_nmSARQWirV7iY/htmlview?sle=true#gid=0

Keurig has been added to list for this reason. 

3 hours ago, apple1 said:

Just adding (not excusing!) - Nearly half of all Americans eligible to vote did. not. vote. While, in my mind, that makes them implicitly responsible for the outcome, it might help when thinking about your neighbors (or relatives, or whomever...)

This makes me mad.  People have to realize that a president will be picked at the end of an election day, whether they voted or not.  It's not like there'll be a second election day, with a better batch of candidates.  You only get one chance to vote.

All is not lost on climate change: 

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2016/11/all_is_not_lost_on_climate_change.html

The “market fundamentals” in favor of climate action remain the same: Trump may try to gut our environmental laws, but he can’t bend the laws of how economics work. The fact is, renewables are getting cheaper, so are batteries, and cities and countries worldwide are taking advantage of that.

Also: 

And in fact, the Paris Agreement was specifically designed to withstand a Trump presidency—it’s already gone into force, meaning it’s legally binding for the countries that agreed to it. That agreement is far from perfect. It’s possible Trump could pull out. But he cannot cancel it. There’s still a good chance other countries will continue on without us.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/16/news/businesses-trump-climate-change/index.html?sr=twCNN111816businesses-trump-climate-change0619PMStoryLink&linkId=31323190

In an open letter on Wednesday, Starbucks, Gap, Nike, L'Oreal, and hundreds of other American businesses joined together to tell Trump that they are committed to fighting global warming. And they implored the future president — who has called climate change a hoax —to keep the current low-carbon policies championed by President Obama.

"We want the US economy to be energy efficient and powered by low-carbon energy," they wrote, adding "failure to build a low-carbon economy puts American prosperity at risk."

More than 300 businesses signed the letter. It was announced in a press conference during the 22nd session of the Conference of the Parties (COP 22) currently being held in Morocco.

Here's a link to the letter, which lists all the businesses: 

http://www.lowcarbonusa.org/

The list can be a good guide in determining future pro-environment purchases. 

5 hours ago, JMarie said:

This makes me mad.  People have to realize that a president will be picked at the end of an election day, whether they voted or not.  It's not like there'll be a second election day, with a better batch of candidates.  You only get one chance to vote.

But, but, but Dancing with the Naked Amish Preschool Teachers is on!!!

Thom Tillis appears to be taking the stance that since the Senate can't officially stop Trump from nominating Bannon so it isn't his job to say anything about it. The rest of the people I called (thanks to @VelociRapture for virtually holding my hand through this since I have anxiety about calling people) just gave vague "We will let _______ know your thoughts on the subject." replies. While I had them on the line I also requested they speak out on defending freedom of press and the fact that Trump isn't putting his companies in a blind trust. 

I'm not sure it is going to do any good with my Republican representatives, but at least I tried. 

Archived