IGNORED

What do fundies get for their wedding presents?

activespinster

new post by charmedjenny

I was just looking through Robert Staddon and Kendalyn's registries and compared to what they asked for, they got next to nothing off their registries. Out of their 4 page Target registry, they got about ten items and from their three page BB & B registry they got a page worth and most of it was kitchen tools. So what do you think fundie couples get for wedding presents?

new post by CanadianMom

KJV Bibles, embroidered linens, homemade jam?

I am so not creative and usually toss in $400 into a card and call it a day. Then again, if you don't have an open bar OR food save for finger sandwiches and tater tot casserole, my generosity may wane slightly.

new post by Koala

Oh fundies give the weirdest wedding presents!

We knew an ATI family that actually gave us some of the books as a wedding gift. It has been so many years ago, that I can't remember what they were (we tossed them), but I do remember that one was about slothfulness (which was kind of a WTF moments for me). Their other gift was to offer to fully pay for us to go to some Gothardish event. Obviously we didn't go, but they asked us about it for a good 2 years after the wedding.

We also got Ed Wheat's Intended for Pleasure book and tapes....yes I'm serious. Peeps are crazy. I was mortified, and certainly NOT in need of an Ed Wheat book. I was like, "Damn, was the store out of toasters or something?" Good lord. The same woman also gave me a Dollar Tree laundry basket filled with.....are you ready? Cleaning supplies. The above items make for a WEIRD thank you card.

We also got a small canvas that some woman painted on (looked like a toddler got ahold of some finger paint), 3 frames with our wedding invitation inside, and one candle...again, with our invitation inside. I still have no idea how the woman did it.

Another strange one? A guest book for our house. Folks, I'm about as anti-social as they come. I was running a household, not an effing Bed and Breakfast. What the hell they thought I would want with a guest book I will never know.

Oh, and a box full of used dish towels with lace and artificial flowers hot glued on.

That's all I can think of.....it's been years ago.

I will say that along with all of the WTF gifts, our registry was completely emptied. But it wasn't done by our fundie friends

Joshua and Anna registered for Pringles though!

new post by Koala

CanadianMom wrote:

I am so not creative and usually toss in $400 into a card and call it a day. Then again, if you don't have an open bar OR food save for finger sandwiches and tater tot casserole, my generosity may wane slightly.

AMEN! If you suffer through a wedding, there should at least be plenty to drink when it's over with!

new post by CanadianMom

A guestbook for the home!!! I love it. I am so going to put one in my entrance. I can just see my dh's friends, "I come by every day, so I still have to sign this fucking thing?" Me... "SIGN IT!!!"

Koala wrote:

Oh, and a box full of used dish towels with lace and artificial flowers hot glued on.

Oh, spill! What is LadyLydia like in real life?

new post from SnarkyJan

CanadianMom wrote:

KJV Bibles, embroidered linens, homemade jam?

AMEN! If you suffer through a wedding, there should at least be plenty to drink when it's over with!

Especially a fundie wedding. Although, I don't think there would be enough booze in the entire Pacific Northwest to anesthetize me.

new post from SnarkyJan

A gift certificate for frumper material, a copy of "Created To Be His Helpmeet" and a pair of crotchless pantaloons.

new post from clibbyjo

Homemade shoulder pad pillows that look like breasts? Pink glitter? $5 gift certificate to the dollar store?

new post from MamaJunebug.

That ain't fundie, that's just hella cheap.

My aunty who married a Lutheran minister told me that they received about 20 picturesof Jesus. Because, y'know, that's what a newly married couple NEEDS. Poor Aunty, that marriage was doomed from the get-go. It ended in his tragic death 4 years later. BMJB teared up at the mention of Uncle, who she said was so unfailingly kind & patient. She said his generous tolerance of her impudent Qs about religion helped her see the beauty of Lutheranism & a truly Christ-like attitude. and people treated him like that...chintzy wall art of Jesus for his wedding.

Figures, I guess. Anyway, I daresay it's less a factor of where one is on the spectrum of religious intelligence and more about being plain CHEAP.

PS to the poster who gifts $400 -- if ever I remarry, you are invited!!

new post from apple1

My wedding was in what most on here would call a "fundy" church, with a number of church people attending.

The "gift" I got that took the prize for best (NOT) gift:

From a couple that were Amway nutcases: A cheap plastic "canister", Amway of course, with a bar of Amway deodorant soap in the bottom.

You could not make this up. I quickly discarded said soap and the plastic container. I could not force myself to use the "canister".

BTW I am not wealthy/entitled, nor "snotty" (my Mom's word). I appreciate the thought behind even extremely small or modest gifts. This was neither. It was Amway advertising. (I hate Amway with the hate of a million suns...)

FWIW I received very little from my registry. I did get a couple of very very nice gifts. I did wish that at least people would have looked at my colors. I got a lot of towels in every color under the sun, and I was into "coordinating" back then. But, hey, they all got used, and eventually worn out. Towels are towels regardless of color.

new post from doggie

well you sure are not going to be condoms or sex toys or anything fun.

new post from defrauding

An ironic belt made of plumbing line by Debi Pearl. Or a jaunty adventurer's scarf by Doug Phillips and a case of poppers.

new post from bananacat

I can sort of understand the sentiment behind some unusual gifts. When my brothers got married, I almost felt like it was too easy to just pick something off a list that fit in my price range. I sort of wanted to do something that required more thought and effort, so that they could see how much I cared for them. But then I realized that the best gift I can give is to simply respect their own wishes and get them exactly what they want. They spent a fair amount of time and effort choosing what to put on the registry, so how I can pick something better for them that they can't pick for themselves? One of my brothers would actually check the registry often to find out what they were getting because he was so excited about everything on the list. So I picked items from the registries and gave them gifts that they have thoroughly enjoyed. Both couples put in the effort to make sure they listed items in a wide variety of price ranges to fit everyone's budget.

new post from SunnyAndrsn

I did get a framed copy of our wedding invitation. I had it displayed with our unity candle for a few years. Now it's packed away. I can't get DH to light the candle with me on our anniversary, because he's a little superstitious on this front. He says if we do that, then we'll end up divorced when the candle is done.

Just a warning to those who might consider putting me on a wedding guest list: If you register for dumb stuff like toilet paper and pringles, I WILL get these things for you, up to the dollar amount we have allotted for your gifts. We had friends who put the ShamWow towels on their registry as a joke and I bought it for them! To be fair, I also bought my friend several kitchen items, and then we usually do a set of wine glasses with a bottle of wine.

new post from Kathryn31

The last Botkin wedding was like Christmas! The ceremony may have been low key but the registry was not!

new post from fundiefan

They get all the things the SAHD's have been making as part of their homekeeping education.

new post from xDreamerx

This might sound strange but why would you register at Target? Do they have household items like Walmart, Sears of other department stores? (We don't have Target in Canada). Fundies actually register for things like Pringles? Smuggar did? Oh that is so awesome! Tacky in a way that only Smuggar could be. I don't understand why they don't give more practical household items like I don't know, small appliances, linens, the things you need to set up a house, especially since they're all about "leaving and cleaving". I imagine they wouldn't start out with very much.

new post from Clementinee.

freekatie

I remember a fundie wedding where the bride was 17 and they planned to live in a trailer... most of the items on their wedding registry was food items like crisps, brand-name cheese and taco shells. It was a bit weird, but I guess they have little use for crystal champagne flutes if they live in a trailer.

new post from apple1

xDreamerx wrote:

This might sound strange but why would you register at Target? Do they have household items like Walmart, Sears of other department stores? (We don't have Target in Canada).

A lot of people around here (I don't mean fundy) register at Target. They have a lot of relatively reasonably priced household items - sheets, blankets, towels, dishes, vacuums, lamps, cookware, etc, etc. Not all wedding guests can afford to spend $$$$$$$$$$; a Target registry gives potential guests affordable options. Sometimes the large chain department stores are so expensive that potential guests just can't afford the things the bride/groom choose. I see a lot of double registries here- one at Target and one at a larger department store.

A lot of people use Target for baby shower registries, also. Same reasons.

new post from fundiefan

xDreamerx wrote:

This might sound strange but why would you register at Target? Do they have household items like Walmart, Sears of other department stores? (We don't have Target in Canada). Fundies actually register for things like Pringles? Smuggar did? Oh that is so awesome! Tacky in a way that only Smuggar could be. I don't understand why they don't give more practical household items like I don't know, small appliances, linens, the things you need to set up a house, especially since they're all about "leaving and cleaving". I imagine they wouldn't start out with very much.
Target is a department store, a little higher in image than Walmart. It pre-dates Walmart, at least in my area. We've had Target my whole life and Walmart arrived in the late 80's.

I registered at Target when I got married. It is a reasonably priced option for most basic items.

*edited because I can't spell.

new post from Hopewell

Intended for Pleasure

Come on--tell us you watched the dvd for laughs! Give us a review!!! lol..........I remember Josh's strangled laugh when he opened it!

new post from kb

They probably don't need that much, since the girl's hope chest has been planned and added to since her birth.

new post from PBrooke

xDreamerx wrote:

Target has clothing, toys, and a tiny food section, but it's much more well-known for its household items, I'd say. Have a kid going off to college? Need to decorate a house in a hurry? Off to Target!

new post from cjsmom

PBrooke wrote:

Target has clothing, toys, and a tiny food section, but it's much more well-known for its household items, I'd say. Have a kid going off to college? Need to decorate a house in a hurry? Off to Target!

I love Target. It's a must when I'm shopping in the US. I want them to come to Canada!

new post from xDreamerx

That makes sense then. I wasn't trying to sound snobby, I just didn't know what the deal with Target was. I mean, I've seen commercials for it but I wasn't sure it was like a one stop shop type of thing where you could find a wide range of household items or if it just had certain items if that makes sense. I just don't understand the Pringles. I mean you can pretty much always afford to by chips for yourself, but just getting married you might not be able to afford bigger items so why not put those on the list instead of pringles.

new post from browngrl

Off topic but one of the nicest gifts I got was from my parents (for my birthday - didn't get married till I had already accumulated pretty much everything I needed for a household) during my last year of residency. They would come to my place once a month and my mom would clean my house, do my laundry and make dinner while my dad would do any errands I needed done and get me enough groceries to fill the fridge and then they would leave. By the time I got home my place was in order and dinner was ready. Best gift ever.

new post from CanadianMom

browngrl wrote:

Off topic but one of the nicest gifts I got was from my parents (for my birthday - didn't get married till I had already accumulated pretty much everything I needed for a household) during my last year of residency. They would come to my place once a month and my mom would clean my house, do my laundry and make dinner while my dad would do any errands I needed done and get me enough groceries to fill the fridge and then they would leave. By the time I got home my place was in order and dinner was ready. Best gift ever.

Awesome parents!! On a side note, I believe target bought out zellers in Canada and is on it's way!

new post from wildflower

Didn't one of LydiaofPurple's daughters plan to build her own house with her husband? I seem to remember their wedding registry was full of things like nails and boards and the like.

new post from Koala

Hopewell wrote:

Intended for PleasureCome on--tell us you watched the dvd for laughs! Give us a review!!! lol..........I remember Josh's strangled laugh when he opened it!

It was actually cassette tapes. And yes we listened. On our wedding night no less. We were both exhausted, and it was hilarious! I kept the book for years, but it got tossed out in one of my cleaning sprees. *sigh* If I'd known I would find a place like FJ I would have saved all of that stuff....we could have snarked for days

new post from SlipmeaMikki

browngrl wrote:

CanadianMom wrote:

Awesome parents!! On a side note, I believe target bought out zellers in Canada and is on it's way!Target is on the way!

My fiance's boss owns a few companies and one has been working with Target to manage their construction. The newest part of the contract is converting like 200 stores in Canada to Target. It is so weird that we were JUST having this conversation on Thursday night at a cookout and now I can pass it on. On a side note, Target is awesome! I will likely be registering there for my wedding because I love their housewares department.

Archived