IGNORED

Fundieland

ILoveJellybeans

If Christian fundies all went to live on their own island with their own laws, I wonder what it would be like.

I wonder what kind of laws they would have, and how long before they completely screw things up. Or how long it takes for their society to basically become ISIS but with frumpers instead of burqas.

I bet education would be pretty horrible, especially after a generation or two of SOTDRT education.

I wonder how they would get around having no women working, but also not have male doctors look at the vaginas or breasts of women they are not married to? Then again, there probably wont be any real doctors. There might be one or two first generation fundies at most (I am sure there is one in ATI who was once a doctor), but the average fundie homeschooled on what passes for an education in their world would not be able to be a doctor.

I also imagine it would really suck to be a child there. At least in our world there are laws against what you cant do to a child, and non fundies who would report their parents if they heard about what goes on. In Fundieland there would be no protection. Seeing at what HSLDA defends, children are basically property, they defended the people who kept kids in cages.

I have actually had ideas for a fundie family living in a fundie-style country. It's essentially my ideas but with a fundie basis. Of course this is only a story, and some aspects probably wouldn't fit the fundie ideal, but there you go.

The idea of putting all funnies together on an island, though? Hoo boy.

I think this hypothetical society would self-destruct because all of the fundies would start killing each other over doctrinal issues: infant vs. adult baptism, Bible translations, the inclusion or exclusion of the Apocrypha in the Hebrew Bible, the nature of the Lord's Supper, the proper kind of church order etc. Once the Catholic traditionalists and the hard core Eastern Orthodox show up and more issues arise around Mary, saints, the filioque, the papacy,  the sacking of Constantinople, whether Protestant denominations are "sects," etc., the whole thing would turn into a battle royale. Christian fundies may agree that women shouldn't wear pants, that LGBT people are an existential threat, and that abortion is murder, but disagree on everything else.

It'd probably be similar to the FLDS run area of Colorado City AZ/Hinsdale UT. Except without any of the benefits they reap from secular society. So no welfare of any sort that they train their women how to apply as single unemployed mothers despite believing their plural marriages are valid and that many also work outside their homes in church owned stores and manufacturing businesses. Of course they aren't paid so I guess that part is more legit.

Also they'd be without whatever peripheral benefits they get from state funded roads near their towns, or from BLM funded land and game management that's the predominant type of land surrounding their private property. 

The men, specifically the few supposedly chosen ones that dominate would be without some of the special perks I've heard numerous legitimate accusations about like high speed internet for patrolling the gutters of the web looking for all varieties of graphic degrading sexual materials despite preaching against even healthy sexual desires labeling anything remotely associated with sex as a work of Satan himself. I've also heard they like drugs from St. George. That would be out.

I've been toying with the idea of a Dystopian fundie novel (ANOTHER ONE!!!) A  bitter civil war tearing apart America into 2 new countries :States of God's Nation and New America.  

But there would be no poor heathens to minister to?  And someone would actually have to do some work....  Work, that is, besides running ministries for the poor heathens.

Are you in my head? Because I had an idea about Eden retelling with main characters breaking free form fundie-controlled island about two days ago.

Margaret Atwood's novel The Handmaid's Tale deals with some of this. The US has been split in a civil war, and most of the population is infertile due to pollution. Any fertile women are given to leaders as baby-making slaves for the elite. The country is run by patriarchal evangelical Christians, and women are either wives, aunts (those who indoctrinate the handmaids), and hamdmaids. It is disturbingly plausible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Handmaid%27s_Tale?wprov=sfla1

15 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I think this hypothetical society would self-destruct because all of the fundies would start killing each other over doctrinal issues: infant vs. adult baptism, Bible translations, the inclusion or exclusion of the Apocrypha in the Hebrew Bible, the nature of the Lord's Supper, the proper kind of church order etc. Once the Catholic traditionalists and the hard core Eastern Orthodox show up and more issues arise around Mary, saints, the filioque, the papacy,  the sacking of Constantinople, whether Protestant denominations are "sects," etc., the whole thing would turn into a battle royale. Christian fundies may agree that women shouldn't wear pants, that LGBT people are an existential threat, and that abortion is murder, but disagree on everything else.

Yep. I agree completely. For all that fundies have in common, when it comes to their interpretation of the bible and how to live they differ as much as any group of people. Can you imagine the pisser and the Duggars sharing an island? Steve Maxwell would never last as he would have to fight for his role as cult leader and I don't get the impression he is a strong, capable man when in the presence of those he hasn't completely controlled their whole lives. Captain Bret in a community where his special interpretations about weddings are questioned by Stevehovah and his focus on death at weddings. Candy using her aliens to try to convince Scott Brown how he should preach? 

They'd all kill each other in short order.

I agree they would never get along.  I think the main thing that attracts men to the patriarchal movement is the promise of bring the priest of their own homes and lord of their own domain.  These guys don't play well with others and that is why they tend to be entrepreneurial, running small businesses or starting their own churches, or trying to hold political offices.  I know a young man who came out of a family like this,  his father is highly regarded in their church community, many who are ATI,  but he was a terrible father and husband behind closed doors. I once said to him is surprising his family wasnt ATI. He said oh,  no,  his father never would have put himself under another man's authority.  He also felt he was above the law when he didn't agree with it. 

I think we would find that in this fictional community. How could they elect a leader when all the men were leaders?  

Ye Olde Island of Handmaidens.

Chilling.

One of the requirements of being a fundie is holding the notion that nobody is good enough for you, generally.

Mutually-assured destruction.

Archived