IGNORED

Jazz Hands, Sparkle Crotch: Erika Schupe Pt. 9

FundieFarmer

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a new post on the blog about organizing school stuff. She says she has seven kids in school now (everyone but Karen and Melanie it seems).

I find it odd that a kid is missing from the group photo. I'm of the opinion that someone's health issues have to have been involved in the transition, either in the mental realm (Erika) or physical (possible Brandon? Or Erika herself. Or a more distant family member).  Brandon being missing from a group photo makes me nervous.

Also! The kids look so happy in their 'going to school' photo! I'm so glad they're getting out of that house. And I was happy to see that Erika let the twins pick out different backpacks (even if they are dressed the same from head to toe)

On 1/19/2017 at 0:33 PM, December said:

Exactly. It's ridiculous for someone to say that raising a child a certain way will eliminate any potential for "wayward" behavior. Sure, some kids will wind up following all the rules because it is just easier to comply or they like the simplicity of having their whole lives neatly laid out for them. But how many of these blogging families that claim to have all the answers still wind up having one or more kids that don't conform to their rigid, exacting belief system as adults? Quite a few examples that they themselves mention. Almost like kids are individuals who can develop their own unique opinions and personalities, no matter how hard parents try to fit them all into the same narrow mold! :pearlclutching:

THIS! For me it came to a boiling point where complying was more difficult than "rebelling" no matter how scared of the consequences I was, because my longing for independence was just too strong. (In my case, rebelling=going to state college, leaving religion, and marrying a high school art teacher) ;) Even if the consequence had been to never see my family again, I still would have left. Same for my sister who left home and came out as gay after 33 sheltered, difficult years trying to comply to my parents wishes for her life and being miserable. I am so proud of her. Our other 6 siblings had no problem complying, and for the most part feel content with the lives laid out for them. The moral of the story is that in fundie families, some kids will eventually tread their unique paths in life, but at the cost of huge suffering for them and huge shame for the parents. Raising cookie cutter kids that "owe" you their future borders on child abuse in my opinion. 

FLOP is a terrible-looking site. They need to hit up the Maxwells and give them some business. I can't scroll down the home page and the display looks like it's for mobile, but I'm on my desktop.

Is Brandon the teenage son that some of y'all are uneasy about being missing from the photo? My easiest guess is that the photo was taken before school one morning, and he might be on a different bus (or Bob is driving him, or whatever) than the younger kids in that photo since he would most likely be going to a different school. 

As far as my theory for what's going on in FLOP land: I don't think there are any illnesses or anything going on. My guess is that finances got too tight with the kids getting older, although I guess this theory only really works if Erika is doing some kind of earning stuff. I do get the vibe that there was tension between Bob and Erika. I hope she does answer why she put the kids in public school; not because I think she owes it to her readers, but because I'm just plain nosy. 

Last thing: reading this bookbag organization post. Wow, Erika. Putting bookbags on hooks. Who would've thought? 

I think it's entirely possible that Brandon's at a different school. I think Anna Marie is 11 now but would've been 10 at the start of the school year so she'd still be at elementary school, as Brandon is 13 nearly 14 he'd be at middle school. 

She mentions in the post that she gets seven copies of one letter from seven different teachers, which implies that Lacey and Lilly are in different classes. We've said before about how Erika always lumped them together and viewed them as one, and she said somewhere that she didn't believe in "forcing" twins to be different (or some such crap) and she liked to encourage their twin-ness. I get a bit why Erika would value their twin-ness, but it's so important for them also to be recognised as individuals. I know some twins are always matchy-matchy out of choice, but I don't think that was the case with Lacey and Lilly. 

My brothers and my brothers in law are as well. My mom and my MIL dressed them in the same outfit, different colors (70's--cords and a striped shirt) out of convenience I think but not every day.  My in laws are identical and she dressed one in blue and the other in brown to help others ID them.  I can't tell them apart on the phone but one is heavier than the other so I can easily distinguish them in person. 

Elem age kids should by that age be choosing their outfit and dressing independently. I have a sneaky feeling L & L don't.  

I have a friend who after infertility was a twin mom. She always dressed them identically because having twins got her more attention and she loves herself some attention. 

33 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I think it's entirely possible that Brandon's at a different school. I think Anna Marie is 11 now but would've been 10 at the start of the school year so she'd still be at elementary school, as Brandon is 13 nearly 14 he'd be at middle school. 

She mentions in the post that she gets seven copies of one letter from seven different teachers, which implies that Lacey and Lilly are in different classes. We've said before about how Erika always lumped them together and viewed them as one, and she said somewhere that she didn't believe in "forcing" twins to be different (or some such crap) and she liked to encourage their twin-ness. I get a bit why Erika would value their twin-ness, but it's so important for them also to be recognised as individuals. I know some twins are always matchy-matchy out of choice, but I don't think that was the case with Lacey and Lilly. 

I think this is good for Lilly and Lacey who have spent their whole life together always dressing alike and so on but I don't support schools having different classes for twins as a policy. My brother and his wife had to fight hard with their twins' school about having them in the same class because the school had their policy and said that all twins needed to be apart to develop their own identity. My nieces have always had their own identities and are no more the same as say siblings 1-2 years apart. They did have a strong bond and being in the same class was comforting to them and not stopping their development. When they started a new school they chose different classes then (at 13) and have chosen different paths now in high school too so they clearly aren't too dependent on each other.

Oh,  totally understand that. I meant it more in view of Lacey and Lilly, who always seemed to be lumped together and viewed as one. 

On the issue of separate classes, I think it really depends on the parent and the twins themselves. What works for one set won't work for another. 

I will say her getting 7 different letters doesn't necessarily mean L&L are in different classes. I teach/have taught multiple sets of twins, some in the same classes, and have always given each twin their own copy of X handout or letter home. Until we get either a big tell-all (what I'm hoping for) or more clues dribbling in (what will most likely happen), there's not much I think we can infer about the adjustment to public school life. 

Ooh yeah that's true. But what I meant was that she said "seven different teachers". She could've said "seven letters from six teachers (Lacey and Lilly are in the same class)" but since she specified "seven different teachers" I'm intrigued...

How revolutionary to have hooks to hang up your kids backpacks and a shoe rack for their shoes. *eyeroll*  Oh Erika, I was expecting so much more, you have let me down. 

Just visited the new website, and omg, it looks horrible! I thought Erika was an organised person *smile*, that website looks like a mess! It needs to be de-cluttered asap. *chuckle* 

And why is there a short 20 second video at the end? Is she starting "the youtube" (or what Lori called it) as well? 

If we assume that the schedule is really Erika's it fits with her having some type of mental health issue. The scrapbooking and bible study is probably in there because you are often told to try to find times for hobbies and things that you like as part of your recovery and to schedule time for this if possible to make sure you actually do it. If you have reached a certain point even fun things can be hard to get around to doing because of how you feel. I am voting for this as the reason for public school and why the schedule looks as it does. It may also explain the quite sudden change and why they have not eliminated the return of homeschooling later on as they say. 

I wonder what Melanie does and I admit to being really curious. Study? Work? Something else? If I remember correctly she did some nice drawings and such, I hope she gets to develop that. I wonder if the whole thing was Karen and Melanie having enough of being sister moms, they got Bob to be on their side, Erika could not handle schooling without her helpers due to her issues and then everything crashed and the kids had to go to school. 

If you read Erika's old posts it is clear that the younger boys were and probably are a handful, in particular when they don't get to go outside much or do sports or other physical activities. She clearly says she hasn't been able to "train" them the same way and put up gates and such to keep them in. Even then when she at least had some more energy she was struggling with them and if she then crashed I would imagine it wasn't pretty. 

Also, I would love to know what lunches the Shupes get to eat. Do they still have her patented salads?

6 hours ago, Mr. Pink said:

There's a new post on the blog about organizing school stuff. She says she has seven kids in school now (everyone but Karen and Melanie it seems).

I find it odd that a kid is missing from the group photo. I'm of the opinion that someone's health issues have to have been involved in the transition, either in the mental realm (Erika) or physical (possible Brandon? Or Erika herself. Or a more distant family member).  Brandon being missing from a group photo makes me nervous.

Also! The kids look so happy in their 'going to school' photo! I'm so glad they're getting out of that house. And I was happy to see that Erika let the twins pick out different backpacks (even if they are dressed the same from head to toe)

I don't think it's necessarily a cause for concern. Brandon is clearly in school-- 7 teachers, 7 backpacks, and 7 children in public school means Brandon's health is at least good enough for him to be at a public school with other children.

FLOP takes forever to load. I don't have that problem with any other site/blog. It irritates me. 

There's just a lot going on with the design of that site. The bazillion columns of content (articles, tags, reader comments, contact us, connect with us) and busy floral background and teensy-weensy font is just too much. No me gusta. 

It takes forever to load on my phone so I have to use my laptop.

I agree, her old blog looked a lot better. 

6 minutes ago, ChunkyBarbie said:

FLOP takes forever to load. I don't have that problem with any other site/blog. It irritates me. 

I laugh every time I google it and the link comes up with the warning, "This site may be hacked."  
I agree that the site is far too busy visually.  
Still so happy that the kids are in school, making friends, learning, enjoying recess, and maybe even trading some food with other kids at lunchtime.  Dying of curiosity and wondering what crisis precipitated this monumental change, but so thrilled for the kids.  

3 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Ooh yeah that's true. But what I meant was that she said "seven different teachers". She could've said "seven letters from six teachers (Lacey and Lilly are in the same class)" but since she specified "seven different teachers" I'm intrigued...

Oh. Duh. I should've read more closely. You're right.

1 hour ago, amandaaries said:

I laugh every time I google it and the link comes up with the warning, "This site may be hacked."  
I agree that the site is far too busy visually.  
Still so happy that the kids are in school, making friends, learning, enjoying recess, and maybe even trading some food with other kids at lunchtime.  Dying of curiosity and wondering what crisis precipitated this monumental change, but so thrilled for the kids.  

Yes, I am so excited for the kids too.  I bet they love school! I hope so. :my_heart:

I am so irritated with the tone of the new post. She's been doing public school for a few mere months, but suddenly she is filled with advice about systems and techniques. Like - if you've had kids in public school for years, you've figured out how to sign papers and get them back to school. And the fact that she gives feedback to her beaming children for one minute each is absurd. Oh and the answer to "what about lunch boxes" is, of course, "get one of the big kids to do it, I've got scrap booking to do."

4 minutes ago, FunFunFundie said:

I am so irritated with the tone of the new post. She's been doing public school for a few mere months, but suddenly she is filled with advice about systems and techniques. Like - if you've had kids in public school for years, you've figured out how to sign papers and get them back to school. And the fact that she gives feedback to her beaming children for one minute each is absurd. Oh and the answer to "what about lunch boxes" is, of course, "get one of the big kids to do it, I've got scrap booking to do."

Priorities, priorities ;)

And as for Erika teaching everyone else how to public school-- Erika just started, but she's already a million times better than all you heathens who have been doing it all along. You should definitely listen to someone who has just started public schooling but already knows how to do it perfectly.

The FLOP site is down for me now -- I get a page of repeating error messages.  Anyone else?

Hmm, I just tried it in another browser and it [slowly] opened.  So I guess it's a browser-specific problem, or else it's on my end.

LOL I'm loving this snarky comment under Erika's post:

It’s great you are discovering these organizational ideas. Most PS moms do similar things. It’s how we stay sane!. You’ll learn more as you go. Wait till year’s end–that’s when things really get busy!

Seems like your kids are happy and thriving. Have you found any of your concerns about PS to be validated?

Those flowers on the new FLOP site are ugly in my opinion and I hate the font and layout. She needs a site re-do for sure. Also, just curious, what is the point of having the Facebook page be a private group now instead of a public page like before?

• December locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived