IGNORED

Frump Factor

Patsy

I'm curious to know where to find the frumpiest frump online. Come on folks, bring the frump: where are the best examples? (Most unattractive, most out-of-style, most formless-and-covering, most poorly-made, etc)

A little googling turned up a gold mine: achristianhome.org/ModestFeminine/A_Christian_Home_Modest_Clothing.htm

I like the jumpin bloomers on that site. Here's another site with a particularly hideous jumper:

simplygraceful.com/Ladiesjumper.html

Lydia of Purple used to have some frumpy assed clothes. I know she passed, are any of her daughters still making frumpers and bloomers and the like?

Maybe I'm weird, I like jumpers. I currently have only one jumper, bought it from Travel Smith. I like Travel Smith clothing because they are made with traveling in mind so pack compactly and don't wrinkle. I wear pants 98% of the time but a jumper now and then I like.

I definitely don't like the fundie style of all the females in a family wearing look alike jumpers. And the jumpers are too long.

Nell

Maybe I'm weird, I like jumpers. I currently have only one jumper, bought it from Travel Smith. I like Travel Smith clothing because they are made with traveling in mind so pack compactly and don't wrinkle. I wear pants 98% of the time but a jumper now and then I like.

I definitely don't like the fundie style of all the females in a family wearing look alike jumpers. And the jumpers are too long.

Nell

Secretly, I like jumpers too. I think it is because I teach small children and when I first started teaching jumpers were the rage among k-2 teachers. That is my story and I am sticking to it. I used to own a bunch, but no more. :(

Last time I checked Lydia of the Purple's husband was trying to sell the website and her business.

Good luck with that. Any seamstress of that ilk could just start her own website. Most of LoP customers know she is gone and probably don't even look at the website anymore.

Actually, I think that most fundies prefer denim jumpers and skirts over custom made ugly dresses and frumpers. Even the Maxwell's have ditched their frumpers.

Good luck with that. Any seamstress of that ilk could just start her own website. Most of LoP customers know she is gone and probably don't even look at the website anymore.[/quote

That's a shame. I wondered if anyone in their community might have been considering making an offer. I actually feel bad for the family since Lydia died...

I used to wear pinafores very rarely as a kid, so to me, they're kids' clothing. Obviously everyone's reaction to clothing is based on what they consider normal :)

I also think some of the clothing on these websites looks very nice, for instance the only combination in this pic:

12662366.jpg

that I find unpleasant is the pattern on top and bottom on the youngest one's dress. I just don't think that looks nice, it's very busy. (from ringgerclothing.com/index.html)

Then, for instance, this dress:

20108m.jpg

reminds me only of 'Big Love' and the abuses and misery the young girls in such dresses have to endure. Some dresses from the website, though (thekingsdaughters.com/girlsdresses.html is where this one is from; there are other sections of the site) seem pretty to me. There are also a few examples of dresses that are made from a patterned fabric all over but don't end up looking too busy (though they are very out-of-style.)

'Course there are some ridiculous highlights, like some very frumpy styles at katiesmercantile.com/dresses.html

and this amazingly functional option

functional.jpg

from blesseddesigns.net/store/

and these

holdinghandsfade.jpg

from theplaydress.com/

Oh my gosh, those pictures are just...pathetic. Poor little girls!

When I saw the post title, I immediately thought of that Alaskan homeschooling family....can't think of their names though. They have like 5 or 6 daughters and one son...very, very frumpy. The girls have horrible hair and dresses and maybe even head coverings, the boy and his father wear overalls. Anyone know who I'm speaking of? They seem really sweet, though. I don't remember any "hate" on their blog...just...weirdness.

I keep having to remind myself that by 'jumper' you mean a type of dress- I just keep thinking of windcheaters lol. So when I read things like 'long denim jumper' the visual is especially horrifying.

Strangely enough, I think floral frumpers and dresses are LESS frumpy than the other standard frumpy fundie outfit: loose, boxy t-shirt or polo and long denim skirt. The floral stuff at least seems intentional: you've chosen that as your style, and you're sticking to it. The baggy t-shirt and denim skirt combo is just so lazy... it's the fundie equivalent of wearing a t-shirt you got at "free shirt night" at the stadium and mom jeans every day of your life.

Lillian, what is a windcheater? Is that a British word? Isn't our sweater a jumper across the pond?

You all must go to the lilliesapparel website and check out the photos of the daughter's wedding. Her husband's hair in the close up wedding photo...I have no words. But the pastel-clad ladies of the FLDS would envy that hair wave in front.

Lillian, what is a windcheater? Is that a British word? Isn't our sweater a jumper across the pond?

I'm Australian and here 'windcheater' is a general term for a zip up or pullover outer garment, it can be used interchangeably with 'jumper'. Yeah pretty much like a sweater.

You all must go to the lilliesapparel website and check out the photos of the daughter's wedding. Her husband's hair in the close up wedding photo...I have no words. But the pastel-clad ladies of the FLDS would envy that hair wave in front.

Yes, I am from the UK, I normally would imagine a jumper to be a knitted top, and a sweatshirt or sweater to be like an athletics wear thing. But say Frumper and now I get the meaning straight away, lol!

Thank you both. I love words. Windcheater is my new favorite. We have windbreakers, but they are a thin, sort of nylon material, pullover type garment. And they don't do much to "break" the wind-too thin to do much. A windcheater sounds as if it would be warmer and do a better job.

That hair style must require lots of hairspray or gel or something. I have no words either. And did you notice that the mother of the bride and the mother of the groom are wearing the same outfit?

Nell

Oh my gosh! I forgot to mention those matching mothers of the bride and groom outfits! I know the bride made her own dress (from a 1980 pattern, no doubt), but I bet she also made those worn by the bridesmaids, flower girls, and mothers. Also circa 1980.

And WHY do they have so many flower girls? And often a boatload of bridesmaids-why? I don't even know that many people I could remotely want to be in my wedding. One of the Smiths/Mortons/Sanders, I think, had 24. I counted.

I hope Jim Bob and this Andrew of the hair wave never live in the same town-can you imagine the AquaNet shortage that would cause?

When I saw the post title, I immediately thought of that Alaskan homeschooling family....can't think of their names though. They have like 5 or 6 daughters and one son...very, very frumpy. The girls have horrible hair and dresses and maybe even head coverings, the boy and his father wear overalls. Anyone know who I'm speaking of? They seem really sweet, though. I don't remember any "hate" on their blog...just...weirdness.

Yes! This was my first thought, too. And you mean these folks:

simplelivingak.wordpress.com/

Scroll down to the one of them on their front porch. In other news, I had no idea that they were Messianic types. :doh:

The King's Daughters. And no, I don't mean the children's hospital in Norfolk, VA. It's frumptastic.

Alternatively, my first exposure to fundie fashion came from Quaker Jane. Ibbie herself isn't fundie, but a lot of the plain dress and modest dress sites are most definitely fundie. That's how I found the King's Daughters.

Oh, my word. That AK family has some interesting pictures on that website. THe one of the moose leg on the table is quite jaw-dropping. THe ones of the children gleefully slaughtering chickens is really disturbing.

Archived