IGNORED

Slate Article: RHE dissecting Biblical Womanhood

titus2_4u

http://www.slate.com/id/2302892/

Sorry if this was posted before, but did anyone else catch the slate article about Rachel Held Evans? She's "pulling an A.J. Jacobs" and spending a year trying to follow every instruction in the Bible for women, including some obscure and seemingly ridiculous (sleeping in a tent and not touching any seat in her house while menstruating).

I've followed her blog for a while, and I'm glad to see this project getting attention in non-religious publications as well. It makes me relieved that somebody is actually engaging and challenging the Biblical Womanhood perspective using their sacred text and language-- something I (and most other egalitarians/feminists I know) don't come close to having the patience for. I'd have a headache having to respond to 5% of her blog's criticism.

Here's to anticipating the actual book.

I may read this book. I like RHE a lot, even though I don't share her beliefs any more. I envy her ability - so far - to maintain her belief system while dealing with its many flaws and oppressive tendencies. This is from the article, which I found interesting:

Evans has been writing about the womanhood project on her blog, but outside her own supportive commenters, the project has received criticism already. A piece on the website of the Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood, the leading proponent of "complementarian"—anti-egalitarian—gender roles in the church, accused her of a "mocking" attitude. Others have tut-tutted over her interpretation method, and called the project "dangerous." Evans told me a lot of people misunderstand her aims. "They fear that I'll make the Bible and those who love it look stupid, which would be hard because I read the Bible and love the Bible."

Any time a woman who is working on a social awareness of any type is called "dangerous", it means she's probably doing it right.

I'm definitely going to read it, and I've been following her blog and facebook page for a while.

People are freaked out by it because she has a knack for pointing out inconsistencies and how both sides sometimes pick and choose which parts of the Bible to follow and which to ignore. Because she's a Christian and has a pretty large online following, they can't just dismiss her as a nonbeliever or somebody unimportant, so they have to try to discredit her. The feeling I get from her is that she is a sincere Christian and really is trying to examine and figure out what the Bible means and how it applies to her and other believers in this time, and I can respect that a lot more than some of the crowd who seem to write just to support a certain agenda or group they are affiliated with.

For those who haven't checked out her blog, one thing she does that I've enjoyed and learned from is "Ask a ____". She takes questions from readers and they are answered by a guest poster who holds a certain viewpoint (Christian, but from different traditions, denominations, or beliefs & lifestyles). Some recent ones are ask a gay Christian, ask a Calvinist, ask an evolutionary creationist, and ask a Mennonite.

Archived