IGNORED

Happy 100th Birthday, Beverly Cleary!

PennySycamore

Today is the beloved author of children's literature, Beverly Cleary's 100th birthday.  As a little girl, Beverly had a lot of trouble learning to read until a librarian took her aside and introduced her to some books she thought that Beverly would like.  A sixth grade teacher told her she should write children's books.  Beverly knew that the kids in kid's books tended to be too-good-to-be-believed and so she wrote her characters as imperfect real kids.

Beverly Cleary

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/11/living/beverly-cleary-100th-birthday/index.html

Who are your favorite Beverly Cleary characters?   I love Otis Spofford and Ellen Tebbits most especially, but I love them all!

Happy Birthday, Beverly!

6 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Who are your favorite Beverly Cleary characters?   I love Otis Spofford and Ellen Tebbits most especially, but I love them all!

Happy Birthday, Beverly!

Oh I am so happy to know another Otis and Emily fan. I still have my childhood copy of Ellen Tebbits. I didn't know about the Ramona series until my own children came along.

Last summer I found in a flea market Jean And Johnny, one of her young adult stories.  I ended up ordering a few more online, The Luckiest Girl, Fifteen, and Sister Of The Bride.  They're definitely products of the fifties and early sixties, but still cute stories, and well-written.

I've mostly read the Ramona/Henry/Beezus books, but I am working on collecting them all.  Need to see which ones I'm still missing, though.

I also have to recommend the autobiography/memoir books that Beverly Cleary wrote - A Girl from Yamhill and My Own Two Feet.  I didn't know these existed until a year or so ago, when I happened across a copy of one of them.  I haven't finished reading them, but the parts I have read are very good.  So far the books mostly deal with her childhood, college, and early career; I'm not sure how much she talks about her writing career in them, it's mostly about her librarian work. 

I really should write her a fan letter.  I wonder if she signs autographs. 

I've enjoyed reading many of Beverly Cleary's books, but I think my favorite is still Socks. It's a book about a cat, told from the cat's perspective. My seven year old is discovering the joys of the Ramona books. Hooray for Beverly Cleary! I hope she enjoyed her birthday.

Sister of the Bride and Fifteen are the only two I remember reading. I must have been in my early teens. Clean, sweet, innocent books.

Ramona! Henry Huggins! 

And no one has mentioned Ralph S. Mouse, The Mouse and the Motorcycle, and Runaway Ralph yet. Oh and Socks. 

I had no idea that there were so many Henry books. I think I only read one of them. And I never finished the Ramona series. The last one that was  out when I was a kid was Ramona Forever, I think. Romana gets a baby sibling and the cat dies. 

Archived