IGNORED

Ruth Wissman engaged

Odd1Out

I'm pleased for her, because I can't imagine she wanted to be single. I'm glad she gets to fufill her true life's purpose. (eyeroll)

11 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Here is what I know of the Wissmanns (from back in the day):

- Bethany's husband (Dan) wrote a blog post about how he and Bethany started their courtship. People on FJ thought he sounded like a douche, because he said he noticed Bethany but put her only on a list of potential Mrs. Beasleys. Then, per his blog post "When I moved to Virginia in July of 2008 the thought crossed my mind that I should talk with some girl’s dad just to put my name in. I didn’t want to leave and let the best girl slip through the cracks without even being there to put up a fight. But I didn’t know which girl’s dad to talk to, and I felt God wanted me to wait."

So um....he had a list of potential wives (I guess), wasn't sure who to settle for, and eventually found love with Bethany. They now seem pretty smitten with one another, but their courtship always rubbed me the wrong way. Like she was his best option, so he just settled with her.

-Something about black face. I wish I had the post, but I guess the Wissmann's dressed in black face for one of their dramas and got A LOT of backlash (as they should have).

- Kori (Andrew's wife) created a fake account on FJ and was interacting with us. It was weird though. It happened around the time Rachel got engaged. She would make comments like "I bet the Wissmann's are relieved ancient Rachel is finally getting married." She would also comment on how sexy Kori (herself) was in pictures, and how defrauding she was. Someone discovered that the e-mail she used on FJ linked up to an e-mail Kori used to sign-up for another social media account and that was how she was outed. She high-tailed it out of here immediately after. I was a little sad to see her go. It would have been fun to get more commentary from her.

Anyways, that is all I have on the Wissmanns. For fundies they have remained pretty low on FJ radar the last few years. I think mostly because their adult children seem to be drifting away from the strict fundie lifestyle.

Dan sounds like a real sweetheart, but judging from her blog and instagram they do seem to be a happy couple... although Smuggar and Anna also appeared happy to me.

I wonder if the Wissmann's ever found out that Kori joined FJ and that she left some nasty comments about the family.

16 hours ago, BullyJBG said:

Exactly. The shooting is what he has to live with for the rest of his life, as does all his family, Alaina's family, and now Emily and her family too, and that the public knows, well, it makes it harder. So, when it keeps getting brought up,(I heard rumors of Emily being private-messaged about it and being defensive) I think they just want to keep their social media for friends and family who are supportive and can help them move on with life. I can't really blame them.

Part of the problem was the apparent lack of remorse, and the determined attempts of Beasley friends and family (especially Caleb) to paint Joshua as the "victim."  Apparently that continues.  If anyone contacted Emily, I think that was very wrong.  I don't see why having to keep quiet and private on social media is horrible and unfair to the family.  It is just common sense under the circumstances.  

I hope they can all move on.  I also hope the whole family is a damn sight more careful with gun safety these days.  In fact, I hope they don't even own guns any more.

@Bazinga I missed Kori posting here.  That is interesting.

I wish dearly I could remember where I read this, but somewhere on facebook I read a really interesting post from one of Alan Busenitz's family members (probably a sister in law) who was posting about escaping their extremely conservative brand of Christianity. (She made it seem like a borderline cult.) It looks like they're Bereans- which is a pretty weird sect. My sister went to a Berean school for a while in Kansas back in the early 80's- one thing I remember about them is that they seriously hated dancing, to the point that they physically cut out the chapter about the dance at grandpa's house in Little House in the Big Woods. 

ETA Alan is married to the Wissmann's eldest daughter Rachel. They live in rural Kansas.

I wish dearly I could remember where I read this, but somewhere on facebook I read a really interesting post from one of Alan Busenitz's family members (probably a sister in law) who was posting about escaping their extremely conservative brand of Christianity. (She made it seem like a borderline cult.) It looks like they're Bereans- which is a pretty weird sect. My sister went to a Berean school for a while in Kansas back in the early 80's- one thing I remember about them is that they seriously hated dancing, to the point that they physically cut out the chapter about the dance at grandpa's house in Little House in the Big Woods. 

ETA Alan is married to the Wissmann's eldest daughter Rachel. They live in rural Kansas.

Interesting - there is a Berean outside of my hometown, which is only probably only 7-8 miles as the crow flies from the Wissmann compound. I want aware they were a fundie leaning church.

When I was snooping on Facebook Kori does not come off as fundie or even fundie light. Seems like her and her husband have been married for several years but no kids too. If anyone remembers what her username was I'd love to check out those posts!

I wish Kori hadn't been outed. I would have liked to see more of her perspective on the family (if it actually was her). I would really like to know more about the beliefs in this family and the interactions between them, the Beasleys and Gradys. I also wish the Grady blog was public, it was actually interesting. 

6 hours ago, Odd1Out said:

I wish Kori hadn't been outed. I would have liked to see more of her perspective on the family (if it actually was her). I would really like to know more about the beliefs in this family and the interactions between them, the Beasleys and Gradys. I also wish the Grady blog was public, it was actually interesting. 

I totally agree with you!! And although she doesn't seem too fundie on the outside, I'm quite sure that she holds some pretty gruesome beliefs on the inside.

Glad to read Rachel W had a baby. Well, I'm sorry for the kid growing up in fundieland, but Rachel seemed nice and she was an "old bride" with an apparently cold husband so I hope at least she can  enjoy the baby. When they married, they didn't have kids early and since they're now nearly 40 (?), no way they're having a large brood. So good news, specially for their kid.

20 hours ago, Odd1Out said:

I finally got off my lazy butt and found the thread that outed her. You can read all about it here

"Kori's" (I put it in quotes, because I guess we don't have proof from Kori herself that this was her...though at the time, the evidence seemed pretty obvious) username was Haterblocker.

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 8:59 PM, Odd1Out said:

I knew all of them years ago. Luckily, I didn't marry into any of the families or else it's safe to say I'd either be the 'black sheep' today or have never gotten out myself. Interactions were that of close friends who trusted each other, whose families trusted each other, and preferred to stay in their social circles over interaction with the 'outside world'.  Families would commute two hours each way just to be in their church group. The word I've received from distant mutual acquaintances now is that at least some members of the Beasley family are now pretty evangelical-mainstream, not the same kind of 'fundy' anymore. One of the biggest things I remember that stands out about this group overall is how enthusiastic they are about life in their 'bubble' even if it comes across as simple-minded to the rest of the world, but going hand-in-hand with that how out of touch they can be with societal norms (e.g. the Blackface play at the Nebraska state homeschool convention).  In their circles, few would find anything wrong with that. They saw that play as a huge success. Most of the cultural influences they hold up would come from the 19th century and early 20th century, when, sadly, such things were considered acceptable. "Happily ignorant" is how I would sum up most of them. 

Wow. I never knew Kori posted here. Admittedly, I tend to get sucked into certain threads and remain there without branching out much, but that is something I would have thought I'd have seen somewhere. I guess I can be counted among the 'happily ignorant'.

On 4/4/2016 at 3:33 AM, ophelia said:

Josiah is married to Abi (I forgot her family name); according to the website they have 2 children, but I think they are either expecting #3 or already welcomed their third child

They had their 3rd child, Jenifer, on May 17, 2016. Oh, and Abi's family's name is Rehm.

• 7 months later...
13 minutes ago, Odd1Out said:

On Instagram, Ruth is tagging her photos with #sahm. Is there a little one on the way or is she a step-mom? 

They've been married 6 months, I'm guessing she's pregnant.

Archived