IGNORED

Sparkling Adventures Pt 10 - David Pleads Guilty - Merge

happy atheist

Placenta is the farthest thing from being Vegan. they do no animal by products at all, even honey. no leather or wool either. 

I think, though, that because it's given willingly, eating placenta is okay.  I've also been told that swallowing sperm is okay for vegans because of the same rational.   

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think, though, that because it's given willingly, eating placenta is okay.  I've also been told that swallowing sperm is okay for vegans because of the same rational.   

could be, I’m not an expect, I guess I should not have said it so definitively. 

could be, I’m not an expect, I guess I should not have said it so definitively. 

Oh, goodness, I didn't mean to sound like an authority, I am most definitely not.  This was just how the sperm thing was explained to me by a vegan friend after a couple glasses of wine.  :whitewine::whitewine:

Welp, apparently this is a much discussed topic on the interwebs, and I have learned some things I don't ever wish to know about placenta eating...but hey, just for everyone's information, it apparently tastes like squab and has a metallic aftertaste.  I'm not against the practice, but I would go with encapsulation.  And that's all I have to say about that.

giphy.gif

So, what I gather from this is this: it is ok to eat your own fingernails, but possibly not ok to eat someone else’s fingernails, UNLESS said person has given you permission to eat their fingernails, and in doing so no one becomes victim to cruel exploitation. I also gather that it is NOT vegan to eat your dogs fingernails (since they obviously can not give you written or verbal permission to eat their fingernails). *damn opposable thumbs

This applies to Placentas too from what I read.  :pb_lol:

Even when I was "vegan," I ate honey and wore wool. It neve occurred to me not to eat honey (I don't like it plain though, unless it's fresh off the bee farm.... Like, so fresh you're pulling dead bees out of it) and I'm a knitter who's addicted to wool.

Even when I was "vegan," I ate honey and wore wool. It neve occurred to me not to eat honey (I don't like it plain though, unless it's fresh off the bee farm.... Like, so fresh you're pulling dead bees out of it) and I'm a knitter who's addicted to wool.

Isn't most wool harvested by shearing?  I'd say that makes using wool okay--the sheep aren't butchered for it.

Isn't most wool harvested by shearing?  I'd say that makes using wool okay--the sheep aren't butchered for it.

A friend is a very strict vegan and she doesn´t consume honey or uses wool - because the bees and the sheep don´t give it voluntarily and cannot be ask if they want to be in a "concentration camp" (her words, not mine!)

Yes, and man, the sheep love being sheared. It's refreshing to them (source: one of my grandfather's friends raises sheep). If domestic sheep breeds AREN'T sheared they'll end up like this poor guy: 

australia-sheep.jpg

This handsome fella here, a Merino named Chris, was toting around 89 pounds of wool because he escaped from his flock and wasn't sheared for quite some time. Merinos can produce between 10-40 pounds of wool a year... trust me, they like being sheared. :pb_lol:

Placenta is the farthest thing from being Vegan. they do no animal by products at all, even honey. no leather or wool either. 

I was also going to respond to this. I have a vegan friend and she has her placentas encapsulated. I believe her reasoning is also the "given freely" one. She makes certain that the capsules used are the vegan ones, of course.

Yes, and man, the sheep love being sheared. It's refreshing to them (source: one of my grandfather's friends raises sheep). If domestic sheep breeds AREN'T sheared they'll end up like this poor guy: 

australia-sheep.jpg

This handsome fella here, a Merino named Chris, was toting around 89 pounds of wool because he escaped from his flock and wasn't sheared for quite some time. Merinos can produce between 10-40 pounds of wool a year... trust me, they like being sheared. :pb_lol:

Oh my god! I love that sheep so much! I remember reading about him and being like you go sheep! Don't you let them shear you. He had to be quite uncomfortable though, poor guy! 

Oh my god! I love that sheep so much! I remember reading about him and being like you go sheep! Don't you let them shear you. He had to be quite uncomfortable though, poor guy! 

Yeah, the wool was growing over his eyes and the sheer weight of it was causing problems to his hooves. :(  

3996.jpg?w=620&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10

After he was sheared... He almost looks like he's smiling. (The pink on his face is an antibiotic ointment because he was developing a skin infection from all that wool building up.)

ETA that I know you can't anthropomorphize animals but his face and eyes look quite relaxed and content.

Yeah, the wool was growing over his eyes and the sheer weight of it was causing problems to his hooves. :(  

3996.jpg?w=620&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10

After he was sheared... He almost looks like he's smiling. (The pink on his face is an antibiotic ointment because he was developing a skin infection from all that wool building up.)

ETA that I know you can't anthropomorphize animals but his face and eyes look quite relaxed and content.

Sheep usually do look quite relieved after they get sheared. I remember when my grandparents had sheep that when they had those thick, wooly coats off. They tended to run more and seemed more free. I imagine it was much, much worse for him. He's sooo cute! :) I just want to squeeze him! 

I am laughing hard at the idea of eating someone else's fingernails without their consent. :D

Tomm.y Lee Jo,nes once ate my fingernail.  True story.  

I was working at a sushi restaurant and he came in.  He was boing loud and obnoxious so everyone would know he was HIM and he was there, then being rude to people that stared.  I was in training and didn't realize how incredibly sharp the knife was that I was using.  I accidentally sliced off my fingernail into his roll, only realizing it second after the server took it off the bar.  I frantically told my boss, who smirked and said "let's just see what happens."  We both watched, utterly fascinated, as he ate everything on that plate.  Then we had to go in the back and laugh.  We're probably really terrible people.  I'm sure Mr. Jones is a nice man who didn't deserve that.  

Does that count as freely given?  :lol

Even vegans think sheep need to be sheared, but they feel all animals, in some cases, and why I hate PETA, they believe no human should own any animals, including house pets. Most vegans are not to this extreme, but the using animals for humans benefit, is seen as wrong. Bees can die or at least be aggravated and pissed off getting their honey, so they see this as bad. Wool, is bad, because their are animals being raised for their wool, and some animals will be eaten, due to this, and in general, animals should not be raised just for humans use. Again, this is why eggs are seen as bad too.

Things given from animals freely, like some are ok, picking up feathers and things, and of course things given freely from a human are ok.

I am not vegan, but have some views towards this way, as a life long vegetarian.

Darnit, I wish drafts were automatically saved.  I keep on losing my responses.

Anyway, regarding placentophagy.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/06/09/science-fails-to-see-benefits-of-eating-placenta/

http://www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/stories/2015/06/eating-the-placenta-trendy-but-no-proven-health-benefits-and-unknown-risks--.html

And I lost one link here, but this last one is interesting: 

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/131/11/3005S.long  explains milk production.  It mentions that you have to have a fall in progesterone to encourage milk production.  The placenta is where progesterone is sourced, and having the placenta be separated from the uterus is what triggers the start of milk production.  By eating the placenta, you eat progesterone, making it harder to produce milk.

R7197172b7d1a2ad9056b619d02cc25c6.jpg

Poor Brioni has looked so sad in every picture for years now. I know that kids don't always smile and pose for photos, but she looks deeply sad in every single picture. And these are the ones Lauren chooses to share. Also, the poor child is literally wearing rags and has a grubby face, a fact Lauren seems to have deliberately focused the photo on, presumably to showcase her "authenticity". I can assure you that that would be frowned upon even in "rainbow" circles. Many of those families actually put a fair amount of effort and resources into dressing their kids as mini hippies. Rags are definitely not the norm.

They are at a Wildlife Rescue workshop. WIRES is a real organisation that puts a lot of effort into properly training its carers. It does not have the time or resources to unschool your animal loving child. Brioni probably isn't being disruptive but it's not a suitable learning environment for her and she can't become a wildlife carer (although if Lauren manages to qualify she'll almost certainly leave the actual work of caring to Brioni).

'Hippy rags' cost a fortune! I was looking at the Huon market, $50 for rainbow pants.  

What that child is wearing is really only fit for a trash can.

Lauren has a new youtube video up - youtube.com/watch?v=0DmieifseTE

All four girls discuss their gay Grandad, and talk about what they think it means.  They are children, so for the most part they have no idea. 

Aisha looks really, really grown up... a real teenager.  They all have oily hair, and poor Calista is rocking a grown-out Carol Brady type shag.  It looks weird, but hey, good for her.  Del has bruises/marks on her face and yellow teeth.  Brioni is full of confidence (it helps being mamma's favourite), and talks with a faint American accent.  I wonder if that comes from Lauren?  Since she is Laurens Mini-Me she is probably imitating the boarding school accent. 

Anyway, enjoy.

Also meant to mention the bitchy comment at the end of the vid - how wonderful Lauren is because her children have a relationship with Grandad, but the other grandchildren do not.

And there is another clip on her channel that Del shot.  She is mucking around with the phone filming the others.  You get to see a bit of where they are staying now - there is a house, and the bus is outside.  It isn't clear if they have the run of the house or just the property.  There is a man there too - it could be Grandad, but I am not sure.  At the end there is a quick snippet of Aisha talking to Lauren while she is busy being "creative". Lauren completely ignores her, and doesn't even look up from what she is doing.

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived