IGNORED

Sparkling Adventures Pt 10 - David Pleads Guilty - Merge

happy atheist

3 minutes ago, daisyd681 said:

It's very likely that people other than their mother are feeding them. Unless there's only so much food for a set amount of time and it's tight, they are being fed. Besides the barter fair I also went to some sort of gathering of people in the redwoods that was associated with a protest and there was lots of food (it was all vegan, but there was lots of it).

My previous associations with hippies and Rainbow folk have led me to believe that children will be fed, so long as that is possible.  But Lauren's post was suspiciously worded, and I wonder how abundant their food provisions are.  I'm guessing that they don't have much water to spare, hence the tea tree oil solution for everything, but perhaps food is more abundant...? That's my hope.  As HA noted, she gifted us with quite the wall o' text there.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had a heartbreaking family once at our "gathering": The mother died not long ago and the 3 kids were still young (oldest around 8). The father was there, but just there, you could see it in his eyes. The kids kept begging for food, standing at the tables and taking the food from your plate. It was really bad to observe this. Of course, they got food - but still.... And they had to left because all of the kids had lice and the father was not treating them. We were aound 200 people and everybody with lice or similar problems either have to be treated or has to leave. I still think about them, I hope they are okay.

3 minutes ago, daisyd681 said: It's very likely that people other than their mother are feeding them. Unless there's only so much food for a set amount of time and it's tight, they are being fed. Besides the barter fair I also went to some sort of gathering of people in the redwoods that was associated with a protest and there was lots of food (it was all vegan, but there was lots of it).

My previous associations with hippies and Rainbow folk have led me to believe that children will be fed, so long as that is possible.  But Lauren's post was suspiciously worded, and I wonder how abundant their food provisions are.  I'm guessing that they don't have much water to spare, hence the tea tree oil solution for everything, but perhaps food is more abundant...? That's my hope.  As HA noted, she gifted us with quite the wall o' text there.

But they're in the rainforest, with creeks and swimming holes! They'd just have to boil the water.

Creeks, yes, but there's a hundred or so people, right? That's a huge amount of water. It's the middle of summer here and most of the country is in drought. It might be rainforest but even so, creeks go dry in summer.

Even if there are flowing creeks, they may not be allowed to use the water. We aren't allowed to use the creek on our property because the water is designated as 'environmental flow'. (It feeds the wetlands.) My parents live on a farm half way between Sydney and Canberra. They aren't allowed to use the river on their property because it is considered 'Sydney catchment'. They have rainwater tanks but are limited to how much they can collect. (This area is also rainforest.)

Lauren mentioned the wildfire danger being high, and how they would have to douse their sacred fire, and how no one is allowed to have private campfires.

Fair enough. All of this is entirely alien to me. England gets droughts with water usage restrictions, but Scotland has water in abundance. And by abundance I mean overabundance. I've not been able to take out the recycling for three weeks because the entrance to the shed is entirely blocked by a puddle deeper than my wellies.

2 hours ago, happy atheist said:

Lauren mentioned the wildfire danger being high, and how they would have to douse their sacred fire, and how no one is allowed to have private campfires.

My area has been classified as being in an 'extreme' heatwave - the threat of bushfire is scary. It is scorching hot during the day with thunderstorms at night - just one bad lightning strike could be devastating.

If anyone is upset about not being able to light 'sacred' fires when temperatures are 14 degrees Celsius higher than normal (and the average is about 30-35C) they are beyond stupid.

But generally, my opinion of someone who is camping at a time like this and isn't inside eating ZooperDoopers under the AC isn't very flattering, so .... ;)

I just checked an it's 31C/88F in Hobart. That's incredible for that area. Its 37C/98F  here but that's not unusual for us. (Don't ask about last weeks 44C/111F though. That was nasty.)

Why do these things in summer? in a few weeks the temperatures will start dropping and the bush fire risk will go down. March is a great time to camp. The only reason to camp in summer is if your kids go to school and it's holidays.

I constantly have to remind myself that the seasons are opposite from us. There's snow on the ground and everyone is saying it's summer. 

From what I can tell, they're up in the north of Tasmania, a bit inland from Devonport. Near Deloraine. The temperature at Deloraine at the moment is 24.7 which isn't too bad, but it doesn't mean water is readily available, either.

Huge floods have carved out a double-decker of plains on the inside bend in the river. The side is bordered on one side with a covenanted nature reserve and Crown land through which the Dooley Track winds its way along and across the Wilmot River.

On her website, Dooley Track is a link to this page, which then takes you to a Google maps page, if you want to see approximately where they are.

And weather for Deloraine is here: http://www.weatherzone.com.au/tas/northwest-coast/deloraine

The tea tree oil bit is weird — what the hell is wrong with biodegradable soap and water? Comes across as hippyness for the sake of being hippy.

The weather in the valley was 37 today, extremely hot for Tas. However tomorrow it's 15 which is average. This is actually perfect camping weather.

3 hours ago, sea_gale said:

The tea tree oil bit is weird — what the hell is wrong with biodegradable soap and water? Comes across as hippyness for the sake of being hippy.

Health care providers seem to have gone to using hand sanitiser instead of hand washing (even though it doesn't kill nororvirus or C. diff), they're probably mimicking that, only of course alcohol is bad (why, exactly?), so they're using the ineffective tea tree oil. Ironically, good old natural soap and water used properly is more effective than hand sanitiser.

I just roll my eyes at Lauren ever taking hygiene seriously. I also cannot believe she is the caregiver for 4 human children. The stories those girls will have as adults. There is no way they won't need therapy and healing from their childhood. Just so sad all the way around. I hope they tell Lauren to shove the rainbow up her ass. 

The weather in the valley was 37 today, extremely hot for Tas. However tomorrow it's 15 which is average. This is actually perfect camping weather.

37 To 15 is quite a nasty drop though if you're in a tent! I hope they bundle up.

Health care providers seem to have gone to using hand sanitiser instead of hand washing (even though it doesn't kill nororvirus or C. diff), they're probably mimicking that, only of course alcohol is bad (why, exactly?), so they're using the ineffective tea tree oil. Ironically, good old natural soap and water used properly is more effective than hand sanitiser.

Healthcare providers must use soap and water if there is ANY debris visible on the hands at all, and as you said if there is an risk of C. Dif. Granted c.dif is directly caused by antibiotics and less likely in a commune where they think tea tree oil is strong infection control, but going to the bathroom, at least the bowel movement variety, absolutely necessitates an actual hand washing with soap and water.

5 hours ago, ladyaudley said:

37 To 15 is quite a nasty drop though if you're in a tent! I hope they bundle up.

The weather is just crazy at the moment! It is predicted to drop by 15C in one hour in Sydney this afternoon. I'm a bit north of Sydney and we had something similar happen a few weeks ago before a storm hit, it was nuts.

http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/sydney-heatwave-city-to-hit-40c-before-thunderstorms-strike/news-story/80c2501becb0816c9ea3e0f0079c2f7a

I love Tea Tree. I use TT shampoo/ body wash regularly and TT oil occasionally (Its great on bug bites, pedicure water), however I also love soap. Soap it awesome and I’m said when I have none. Maybe she is just making it sound more authentic. I can’t imagine a whole group of 80 people and no one is miffed about Tea Tree only sanitation. 

I can only hope these people go to a lot of these events and their poor sanitation means they have a pretty strong immunity to gastro bugs on an individual level. For the many first-timers Lauren mentions in her text wall, it probably won't be a happy place.

Tea tree oil is great, but it's not an acceptable substitute for soap and water or actual antiseptics or even hand sanitiser. I know water is tight, but they need to factor that in and always make it available by their drop toilet. That is SO important.

You literally could not pay me to stay at this place for 24 hours, much less a whole month.

57 minutes ago, adidas said:

The weather is just crazy at the moment! It is predicted to drop by 15C in one hour in Sydney this afternoon. I'm a bit north of Sydney and we had something similar happen a few weeks ago before a storm hit, it was nuts.

http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/sydney-heatwave-city-to-hit-40c-before-thunderstorms-strike/news-story/80c2501becb0816c9ea3e0f0079c2f7a

It has where I am (SW Syd) and now the temperature is climbing again. 

There was just a MASSIVE clap of thunder, and both my cats jumped in the air and turned themselves inside out with fright. They don't do storms very well :(

And Sydney people say Melbourne's weather is crazy - pfft! (homesick ex-Melbourne person here :562479b1e2079_Whyhullothurwave:)

All this talk about soap does get me wondering about water and how they plan for that. At Burning Man proper bringing in your water is essential because it's on the playa and there isn't any. Also, there's no way there could be enough to support 50,000 people for 10 days. Water planning is a huge pain in the butt but you can't rely on nature to give you an endless supply, even if it's around.

Which brings me to my next thought. A basic principle of bm is "leave no trace behind." This is taken very seriously. I make it to the smaller, regional burns (like 1000 ppl) on a more regular basis. At the last one I was particularly touched by the number of children I encountered who were taking this to heart. As in, offering you a treat and then politely offering to dispose of its wrapper (significant because you have to carry out your garbage). I hope that the girls are learning those types of lessons.

Now rainbow gatherings are typically much smaller than this but I have to believe that they are also into the radical self reliance and respect nature ideas. I don't know how she manages to write so much and convince me of so little.

*I will say that I can't weigh in on the appropriate way to do toileting for 100 without portapotties. That sounds challenging and unpleasant. One ply toilet paper is enough of a hardship imo. I like some infrastructure with my off-grid rebelliousness.

15 minutes ago, Oh auntie Em said:

After reading (sort of) that wall o' text all I wanna know is - What's the Rainbow mob got against lunch?

Given the number of people and the difficulty in cooking for that many in those conditions, I'd say it's a combination of lacking money for food and labor for food preparation.  Because honestly, lunch is an awesome meal.

Or maybe it has to do with cooking (are they just using fire?) midday with the dangerous burn conditions.  Still a hazard at dawn and dusk, but two daily fires is fewer than three.

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived