IGNORED

Donald Trump - Merged

AmazonGrace

On 1/27/2016 at 11:31 AM, ShepherdontheRock said:

I don't think it would be an entirely bad thing if Donald Trump got the nomination.

Because, barring any scandals/sudden economic slumps/repeats of 9-11, it could lead to record minority(especially Latino)/female voter turnout, and thus, him getting absolutely slaughtered in the polls. I couldn't necessarily predict the same thing with Cruz or Rubio.

That said, I do have to wonder if he's basically trolling the Republican establishment. I mean, he's basically catering to their base without coating what he says in nice-sounding rhetoric about "making America great again" or "family values."

I also suspect that lots of Republicans would probably sit out of voting if he were to get elected. This is what people keep telling me will happen if (I said when at first, god no) he gets the nom. So I'm hoping for the best. I know that if it were Sanders vs Trump, Sanders would probably crush it.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

Is there anyone or anything he does like?

My goodness what a whiner lol

On 1/27/2016 at 7:51 AM, bashfulpixie said:

Love that we're supposed to take him seriously as a presidential candidate when he throw a tantrum because he doesn't get his way.  Leader of the free world material ladies and gentlemen!

In all seriousness.  The GOP field scares the shit out of me.  This election worries me.  And as a Florida resident, I'm super not enthused about the coming onslaught of political commercials.

We live about a five minute drive from Iowa; just across the river. I am so sick of the ads on television and the radio that I have feel stabby every time I see a candidate's face anywhere. 

10 hours ago, louisa05 said:

We live about a five minute drive from Iowa; just across the river. I am so sick of the ads on television and the radio that I have feel stabby every time I see a candidate's face anywhere. 

Ha! Yeah, I bet you get a ton of political ads. I'm in the south and we get nothing. No politicians care about our views. Our state always goes red. Even though more and more people (especially younger voters) go blue. It's like our votes don't count. I would like to see a popular vote instead of the electoral college.  

2 hours ago, GreenTea said:

It's like our votes don't count.

My state has 3 votes and our polls are still open when various "news" stations "call" the "race." And then they wonder why we have, like, 13% turnout.  Yeah, we have a low population, but we are still Americans. Fuck you California with your 55 votes. I think it's crap that they are somehow "more important" than just about everyone else. 

9 hours ago, GreenTea said:

Ha! Yeah, I bet you get a ton of political ads. I'm in the south and we get nothing. No politicians care about our views. Our state always goes red. Even though more and more people (especially younger voters) go blue. It's like our votes don't count. I would like to see a popular vote instead of the electoral college.  

The worst part is we are getting them vicariously. Omaha's radio and television stations broadcast into western Iowa. So they are not aimed at us and we are not voting any time soon (Democratic Caucus is in March and Republican Primary is in May) so they don't even matter here. 

10 hours ago, GreenTea said:

Don't want to say exactly which state I'm in, but its a usually-red southern state that voted for Obama in 2008 and as a result has gotten a lot of attention from the Republican Party, right-leaning PACS, etc. Oh the ads we see during election cycles. It's about time to turn off the tv until December.

I'm with you on the electoral college. It's from an era when there was a lot of fear about allowing non-elites the right to vote. The Constitution has many good aspects, but it's important to remember that it's an eighteenth-century document.

I put this in the Specularium but since it also fits here too and some of you may not have access: ecc2772e0ae89643203a891c05bf8c8e.jpg

[emoji23][emoji23]

I am jumping into this thread late.  I need to go back and get into the flow of this subforum.  

I LOVE ME SOME POLITICS in a presidential election year.   So apologies if my comments are redundant.  They are definitely redundant at home, DH will not listen to me anymore.

First I must say that I have great respect for honest differences of agreement on policy issues on both sides of the aisle.  I offer David Brooks as an example of a Republican that I personally wish were running for office, since he articulates what I understand to be "real" conservative positions, even though I disagree with most of them.  But that is NOT what is going on here with Trump and others. 

I remain shocked every day that a significant portion of the population (at least a large % of the Republican base + some independents), profess such strong support for Trump.   He provides NO DETAILS on anything.  Just that he will "do it".   Just that he will "get it done" since we have had such "stupid" leaders.  Obama may be many things, but STUPID is not one of them.   

Trump does not answer even the most direct questions from reporters.  Even from good reporters who try to press him on the issues - - -  he simply talks right over them and says whatever he goddam pleases.  Most of his statements have been deemed "Mostly False" or  "Pants on Fire" by PolitiFact.  That is a fact!  Of course, when he is called out, he simply blames the media (which he encourages his followers to boo and hiss at every one of his rallies).  Someone is going to get badly hurt, mark my words.  Physically hurt.  

So -- the Donald will  just "work it out"   (that answer is from this morning in response to George Stephanopoulos on how he would replace the Affordable Care Act on "Day One" of his presidency... speaking of that, these guys are going to be really busy tearing things up unilaterally on "Day One".     I thought we still had three branches of government.  

My only hope is that IF the country gets out and votes (that means young people & diverse populations, not just the older white folk that are such reliable votes) then we simply cannot (mathematically/statistically) elect a Republican to the presidency.  

On 1/30/2016 at 3:16 PM, louisa05 said:

I totally hear you.  Once the major players have been decided, it's non-stop commercials here from now until election day.  The joys of living in a swing state.

1 hour ago, bashfulpixie said:

I totally hear you.  Once the major players have been decided, it's non-stop commercials here from now until election day.  The joys of living in a swing state.

On a brighter note, Trump had a rally in Council Bluffs, Iowa, which is across the river from Omaha, today and the Omaha World Herald reporter who was there tweeted that the majority of the crowd seemed to be from Nebraska, a.ka. people who cannot caucus in Iowa tomorrow. I wonder how much his full rallies are attracted by celebrity and the circus aspect rather than being true supporters. The GOP nominee will likely be decided before anyone in Nebraska votes. 

16 hours ago, notfundy said:

...My only hope is that IF the country gets out and votes (that means young people & diverse populations, not just the older white folk that are such reliable votes) ...  

Please don't generalize about "older white folk".

There are more "older white folk" like me than you might realize.

PS - The older I get, and the more life I experience, the more liberal my political leanings have become. I am not the only one like this.

http://rachelheldevans.com/blog/donald-trump-gospel-liberty

Not a news site, but still a pretty interesting article about Trump and Liberty. I don't know much about Rachel Held Evans, but I feel she would like Free Jinger a lot. She takes a very discerning look at modern day Christianity and the Far Right in  many of her blog posts while still remaining a Christian herself.

But the part about him going to church in Iowa! :laughing-rolling:

On February 1, 2016 at 8:56 AM, apple1 said:

Please don't generalize about "older white folk".

There are more "older white folk" like me than you might realize.

PS - The older I get, and the more life I experience, the more liberal my political leanings have become. I am not the only one like this.

I'm in my 60s and I've gone from liberal to LIBERAL over the past few years. I'm motivated not only for myself, but for future generations, especially my 25 year old daughter. She deserves better than what the right-wingnuts have in mind for this country.

2 hours ago, sparkles said:

I'm in my 60s and I've gone from liberal to LIBERAL over the past few years. I'm motivated not only for myself, but for future generations, especially my 25 year old daughter. She deserves better than what the right-wingnuts have in mind for this country.

YES. I am motivated for my daughters and for my granddaughter.

28 minutes ago, bashfulpixie said:

@HarryPotterFan That video sums up my feelings on those two perfectly.  I love the Daily Show.

I was so upset about Jon Stewart leaving (still am) but Trevor Noah has proved to be a worthy successor and I'm looking forward to seeing how he gets us through this election season.

10 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I was so upset about Jon Stewart leaving (still am) but Trevor Noah has proved to be a worthy successor and I'm looking forward to seeing how he gets us through this election season.

Oh you and me both.  I was hoping against hope that Jon was going to stick around at least through this election.  I have to admit, I don't watch as regularly as I used to.  I need to start again because I miss it, especially with John Oliver on hiatus.

I can't believe Liberty gave Trump an endorsement.  Anybody remember  his “When I drink my little wine — which is about the only wine I drink — and have my little cracker, I guess that is a form of asking for forgiveness..." (cited below).

Donnie, boy, it's a holy sacrament, not a cocktail party snack!

Haven't identified as Lutheran (Missouri Synod) for years, but this kind of flippancy just really seems way over the top.  Does the fool think that only Evangelical votes matter, and that mainline Protestants and Catholics won't be offended?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2016/02/01/donald-trump-accidentally-put-money-in-the-communion-plate-at-a-church-in-iowa/

Only thing I can think about the Iowa faux pas: he thought it was a *really* great church hospitality time, and that the servers should be tipped. :roll:

1 hour ago, samira_catlover said:

I can't believe Liberty gave Trump an endorsement.  Anybody remember  his “When I drink my little wine — which is about the only wine I drink — and have my little cracker, I guess that is a form of asking for forgiveness..." (cited below).

Donnie, boy, it's a holy sacrament, not a cocktail party snack!

Haven't identified as Lutheran (Missouri Synod) for years, but this kind of flippancy just really seems way over the top.  Does the fool think that only Evangelical votes matter, and that mainline Protestants and Catholics won't be offended?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2016/02/01/donald-trump-accidentally-put-money-in-the-communion-plate-at-a-church-in-iowa/

Only thing I can think about the Iowa faux pas: he thought it was a *really* great church hospitality time, and that the servers should be tipped. :roll:

I thought he claimed to never drink any alcohol?  Even if it's just " a little wine" here' s another "pants on fire!

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived