IGNORED

Armed Protesters take over Oregon Federal Wildlife Refuge Part 2

Boogalou

• 3 weeks later...

I can't read beyond the headline without making an account, but in case someone here has an account or is willing to make one:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/ammon-bundy-god-told-me-to-go-to-court-appearance-against-st-lukes-in-idaho?source=twitter&via=desktop

https://twitter.com/dburghart/status/1696734491937747157?s=20

• Upvote 1

Parapgrased text in cut for article linked above.

Spoiler

Militia leader Ammon Bundy said he was considering fleeing Idaho, but God told him to go to court—conveniently in time for an arraignment that, if skipped, could have led to his arrest.

Bundy, a right-wing figure who rose to fame in a pair of armed standoffs against law enforcement, is facing two lawsuits from St. Luke’s Health System. The Idaho-based hospital group says Bundy and his activist organization, the People’s Rights network (PRN), defamed doctors by falsely accusing them of child trafficking. Bundy did not participate in the defamation lawsuit, and was ordered to pay $26 million after he lost a default ruling this summer. St. Luke’s sued Bundy a second time this month, accusing him of hiding assets to avoid paying the default.

Bundy was also arrested for contempt of court this month, and released on a $10,000 bond. He stood to be re-arrested and lose his bond if he did not appear in court on Tuesday, the Idaho Statesman reported.

Bundy is representing himself in the St. Luke’s lawsuits. But in public posts ahead of the Tuesday court date, during which he was scheduled to be arraigned on the contempt charges, he described himself as in conversation with the almighty about whether to show up at court. He also implied that his followers might take physical action to prevent St. Luke’s from collecting on the $26 million judgment.

“Do I flee Idaho with nothing, leaving all I have for you to take and then start over somewhere else?” Bundy wrote on Monday in a public letter to attorney Erik Stidham, who is representing St. Luke’s. “Do I grind through the legal process with no funds to really fight back, allowing you and St Luke’s to look justified in your terrible assault on the rights of parents and freedom of speech, just to have everything taken from me anyway? Do I unite my neighbors, friends and family to physically defend against this terrible assault on liberty and the right to keep the fruits of my labor?

“It is hard for me to know what God wants me to do right now, therefore, I have not yet decide if I will be attending the hearing today.

Bundy didn't actually attend the hearing but did book a moving van and start packing before thinking better of it. His supporters are also being nuisances, and the judge recommended not representing himself in court.

Personally I suspect it was less the Almighty telling him to stay and fight and more fear of his bail bondsman.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 5

Ammon had a good life and a successful business before the Malheur occupation.  If he'd just asked God, God would have told him to get a grip and stay home, manage his business, support his family, be a good Mormon man. 

He didn't HAVE TO DO ANY OF THIS.  He'll end up broke; at some point the state will likely take his assets.  (Quotes from the Daily Beast article linked upthread)  He's verging on stochastic terrorism with this 

Do I unite my neighbors, friends and family to physically defend against this terrible assault

This just popped out at me, because there is a parents' right movement afoot in the US that basically states children have zero rights, parents can do what they wish with their child. 

allowing you and St Luke’s to look justified in your terrible assault on the rights of parents

FAFO, dude. 

• Upvote 6

• 3 months later...

Another bit of self-induced trouble for Ammon Bundy:

https://www.kmvt.com/2023/12/25/new-arrest-warrant-issued-ammon-bundy-after-he-was-no-show-court-contempt-charges/

A new arrest warrant has been issued for former Gubernatorial candidate Ammon Bundy after skipping the first day of trial in his case against St. Luke’s which was set to start on December 18, 2023.

According to court documents, this trial would have focused on contempt of court charges that were requested by attorneys representing St. Luke’s Health Systems, and several other medical professionals, who were awarded nearly $52 Million in damages on August 29, 2023.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 5

Is he still holed up in his house with some other of his followers? 

On 12/26/2023 at 9:42 AM, church_of_dog said:

A new arrest warrant has been issued for former Gubernatorial candidate Ammon Bundy after skipping the first day of trial in his case against St. Luke’s which was set to start on December 18, 2023.

"Ada County District Court Judge Nancy Baskin issued a warrant for Bundy’s arrest, and increased the bond amount to $250,000, as well as revoked Bundy’s $10,000 bond paid on his first arrest warrant issued by a previous judge. Bundy has been charged with civil and criminal contempt for allegedly violating c

ourt orders issued by a previous judge in the lawsuit brought by St. Luke’s Health System requiring him to remove defamatory statements from the internet and not intimidate or harass witnesses."

Courts are not messing around.  Our man Ammon could end up in jail for an extended period of time or even go to prison over this.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4

Seriously at this point screw offering him bail. He's shown multiple times he has no respect for the court, will not follow directions and consistently fails to show. Jail his arse already.

• I Agree 8

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Interesting article about Cliven Bundy and the anniversary of the Bunkerville standoff, and the connection to the MAGA/Jan 6 crowd.

I didn't see a thread for Cliven so I'll put it here.

https://www.kolotv.com/2024/04/13/10-years-after-armed-standoff-with-federal-agents-bundy-cattle-are-still-grazing-disputed-rangeland/?fbclid=IwAR2Q42bne6tKLLcjC0RA30oHoZFjcY8NNx5XnIoKCurksjSAfxgiHAXLlnE

• Thank You 5