IGNORED

Book Questions: What would be your choice?

CanadianHippie

So, I have to read a book and write about it for one of my classes this semester. I'm not sure which one I want to choose, but I have a few choices from the list of acceptable choices that look interesting.

So of these ones, which would you choose?

The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho

The Timetraveller's Wife - Audrey Niffeneger

The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold

The Life of Pi - Yann Martel

The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver

Thanks ahead of time!

So, I have to read a book and write about it for one of my classes this semester. I'm not sure which one I want to choose, but I have a few choices from the list of acceptable choices that look interesting.

So of these ones, which would you choose?

The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho

The Timetraveller's Wife - Audrey Niffeneger

The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold

The Life of Pi - Yann Martel

The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver

Thanks ahead of time!

Throughout the past several (many) years my book club has read all these books.

Personall "The Life of Pi" and "The Poisonwood Bible" would be very interesting to construct and write a paper on. Good luck to you and let us know which novel you go with.

(I love your name, I am an old Berkeley hippie.)

"The Poisonwood Bible" is my favorite book in the entire world. I think it would be very easy and interesting to write about as it is told from five different perspectives. It also fed into the fundie watching as it is about a Baptist preacher and his family who become missionaries.

Good luck to you and let us know which novel you go with.

(I love your name, I am an old Berkeley hippie.)

I'll let you all know by friday which one I pick. And thanks!

Out of those books I have only read The Lovely Bones, which was good, but I don't think it would be excellent to write a paper on.

I've read life of pi, lovely bones, and timetravellers wife. I'd go with life of pi for a paper.

I think Life of Pi too - but it depends what kind of paper. If you are supposed to talk about the form or structure of the book, the narrator in Lovely Bones would be an easy device to analyze (and I think it's the fastest read of the bunch - not the easiest, but it's pretty gripping. I read it in one sitting.)

Out of those books I have only read The Lovely Bones, which was good, but I don't think it would be excellent to write a paper on.

This would be my take. I do not enjoy fiction, for the most part, though. I hated The Alchemist but I know others rave about it. I should just stick with non-fiction, I guess.

I read The Lovely Bones and thought it was okay, but I dont' know if I'd want to write a paper on it, either.

I've not read The Alchemist, but I have read all of the others.

I think my choice would depend on what the class was about and pick from there. I'm in the minority in that I despised The Timetraveller's Wife. I enjoyed both The Poisonwood Bible and The Lovely Bones.

Well it looks like it's going to be The Poisonwood Bible, it and The Life of Pi were tied when I went to reserve them from the library. But The Life of Pi has a 12 week waiting list and I only have 13 weeks to do this.

You will not regret your choice. Mind you, I loathed every book on your list apart from Poisonwood Bible, :twisted: so I am biased.

• 2 weeks later...

Out of your list, I liked The Poisonwood Bible and The Lovely Bones the most. The Poisonwood Bible is a much longer read but more rewarding and more to write about.

edit: riffle

Archived