IGNORED

40 Cringeworthy Men’s Fashion Ads From the 70s

47of74

Just saw this thing about various men's fashion ads from the 70s;

pulptastic.com/40-cringeworthy-mens-fashion-ads-70s/

One of the examples...

23.jpg

Looks like the 70s were a hell of a decade.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the 70s, was the ugliest decade by far. There was just so much, mustard, orange, and olive green combos back then. I remember my nana having all olive green kitchen appliances, in her kitchen that had wood panelling and orange shag carpet.

Way to make me lose my coffee this morning!  Fantastic share  :)   LOL

I dated a guy who owned and wore polyester plaid cuffed bell bottoms. Think about that. Double knit  thick polyester. Plaid. Cuffed. (like a three inch cuff)  Bell bottoms. The bell was at least as big as the shoes.. The shirt? A thinner polyester, with flowers or some such.

I later married him, despite the fashion transgressions. I do remember that my own closet had a great deal of brown, green, gold, orange, etc. in it... the bridesmaids at our wedding wore peach or rust colored dresses with a lighter peach lace overlay... all homemade, of course. Groomsmen wore deep brown tuxedos with very wide black satin lapels.

Somehow, we all survived.. and then there was disco....

4 hours ago, SnazzyNazzy said:

I think the 70s, was the ugliest decade by far. There was just so much, mustard, orange, and olive green combos back then. I remember my nana having all olive green kitchen appliances, in her kitchen that had wood panelling and orange shag carpet.

Yeah my parents had the olive green stove and fridge.  But say what you will about the color of the appliances, they built them to last back then.

I think the green color was actually called Avocado and those appliances were, indeed, built to last.  My dream stove would be a vintage, restored Magic Chef or Wedgewood like one of these:

Vintage Magic Chef ranges

but I can't fit one into my kitchen.  Second would be a Lacanche Cluny.  You can get those in a number of colors and they are built to last.  No self-cleaning ovens and very minimal electronics and built by hand in Burgundy.  Did I mention that I think that Lacanches are beautiful?   Next up would be a Blue Star range or maybe a Wolf range top. I want a great range for my renovated kitchen.

Back to fashion, the worst of 70s fashion isn't any worse that lots of 80s fashion.  80s shoulder pads were not like good 40s shoulder pads like you envision Joan Crawford wearing.  80s should pads made women look like linebackers.  See some of the outfits on the Golden Girls.  Hideous!

1 hour ago, Four is Enough said:

Double knit  thick polyester.

Confession:  I sewed my boyfriend a polyester leisure suit!  I think he wore it the time we went disco dancing, me in stacked heels and tripping all over a glass-like dancing floor with requisite disco ball.  I also sewed my prom dress - peach, peach, peach!  Once we survived the 70s, then it was the 80s.  I remember pulling out the shoulder pads to try to update my wardrobe. 

:happy-partydance:

2 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

the bridesmaids at our wedding wore peach or rust colored dresses with a lighter peach lace overlay... all homemade, of course. Groomsmen wore deep brown tuxedos with very wide black satin lapels.

Pics or it didn't happen!

22 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Back to fashion, the worst of 70s fashion isn't any worse that lots of 80s fashion.  80s shoulder pads were not like good 40s shoulder pads like you envision Joan Crawford wearing.  80s should pads made women look like linebackers.  See some of the outfits on the Golden Girls.  Hideous!

Yes, the mid to late 80s were terrible as well. I think the 80s were the worst for women, and the 70s for men. (And the 90s were just so...drab.)

I actually like a lot of 70s fashions for women: sundresses, maxi skirts, long straight hair, gaucho pants, silk blouses.

I'll see myself out...

1 hour ago, 47of74 said:

Yeah my parents had the olive green stove and fridge.  But say what you will about the color of the appliances, they built them to last back then.

We had the brown fridge that ran for years, avocado shag carpet, and two harvest gold rotary phones that have outlasted every cordless phone my parents have had.  I need to tell them I want the phones as part of my inheritance. :) 

Somewhere there's a book and website with some truly amazing pictures from '60s and '70s knit and crochet patterns.  The crocheted bikini is something else.  Darned if I can remember the name of the book, but I laughed so hard at it that I bought a copy.

@RandomTrivia,  I loved rotary phones.  I wish someone would make a modern rotary phone. 

@nausicaa, I agree with you about women's fashions in the 70s. I saw some platform sandals a few years ago that were exactly like a pair I had in the mid-70s.  Mine didn't cost $700 though.  I also had a pair of Kork-Ease sandals and a pair of Olafdaughters clogs that I wish I still had.  If they were going as strong as my Raichle hiking boots that I bought in the summer of '74, I'd be in heaven!

3 hours ago, 47of74 said:

We had avocado green kitchen AND bathroom stuff in our mobile home when I was growing up.  This may be a minority opinion, but I'd much rather have avocado, mustard yellow or coppertone appliances that stainless steel.  BORing...

13 hours ago, 47of74 said:

One of the examples...

AAAAAHHHHHHGGGGHHHHH! Couldn't you, in charity and compassion, have put that first (left side) picture under a spoiler, or posted a warning? :brainbleach::brainbleach::brainbleach::brainbleach::brainbleach:

Thanks for helping me with both dieting and Lenten discipline: am not gonna be hungry for a week now.

2 hours ago, RandomTrivia said:

We had the brown fridge that ran for years, avocado shag carpet, and two harvest gold rotary phones that have outlasted every cordless phone my parents have had.  I need to tell them I want the phones as part of my inheritance. :)

Yeah my paternal grandparents had the harvest gold color phones provided by the phone company.  That was back in the days when one didn't BYOD when it came to phones but used what the phone company provided.  My paternal grandparents had a wallphone that was installed when their house was built in the late 60s.  My maternal grandma had a desk phone from the 1970s.  They lasted well over 20 years in both cases.  I think with my maternal grandma there was nothing actually wrong with her phone, she just wanted a cordless phone.  My paternal grandparents phone wore out and they replaced it with a little cordless phone.

5 minutes ago, samira_catlover said:

AAAAAHHHHHHGGGGHHHHH! Couldn't you, in charity and compassion, have put that first (left side) picture under a spoiler, or posted a warning? :brainbleach::brainbleach::brainbleach::brainbleach::brainbleach:

Thanks for helping me with both dieting and Lenten discipline: am not gonna be hungry for a week now.

Glad to be of service.

egrin.gif

14 hours ago, 47of74 said:

One of the examples...

You have to remember everybody, and I mean *every-body*, was stoned 24/7...except for my mother, of course...

35 minutes ago, MayMay1123 said:

You have to remember everybody, and I mean *every-body*, was stoned 24/7...except for my mother, of course...

Yeah that explains Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

4 hours ago, smittykins said:

We had avocado green kitchen AND bathroom stuff in our mobile home when I was growing up.  This may be a minority opinion, but I'd much rather have avocado, mustard yellow or coppertone appliances that stainless steel.  BORing...

I'd love a retro avocado green 70's kitchen (with a few modern updates of course)   I am so over stainless.   We'll be snarking on it in 30 years for sure.

Having been a very young child in the 70's I can fondly recall a brown plaid polyester leisure suit my mother made for me for "special occasions".  Damn, I wish my photos were organized.

@MatthewDuggar, colored appliances are back to some extent among high end appliances.  Blue Star and Viking offer almost 200 colors, Lacanche makes quite a few different  colors, and Bertrazzoni gets their ranges painted at the Ferrari factory.  Imagine a range painted Ferrari red!  Big Chill, made by the Blue Star people, makes their retro styled ranges in several retro colors, including pink.

Love it! Prom 1979 the guys on court all wore baby blue tuxedos - just like Dumb & Dumber - only we thought they were cool.

My mom's appliances were coppertone and they lasted forever.

When my parents finally moved into the house they eventually bought as their first house, it had green and orange shag carpeting in most of the rooms, except for the kitchen and bathroom. The kitchen had orange and avocado green wallpaper, plus fake brick behind the kitchen sink. The stove was also the avocado green color, and it lasted the entire time we lived in that house at least. As soon as my parents officially owned that house, they ripped out the shag carpeting and replaced the kitchen wallpaper. The refrigerator they had from the 70's was a chocolate brown color, and it lasted them for many years.

21 hours ago, ADoyle90815 said:

When my parents finally moved into the house they eventually bought as their first house, it had green and orange shag carpeting in most of the rooms, except for the kitchen and bathroom. The kitchen had orange and avocado green wallpaper, plus fake brick behind the kitchen sink. The stove was also the avocado green color, and it lasted the entire time we lived in that house at least. As soon as my parents officially owned that house, they ripped out the shag carpeting and replaced the kitchen wallpaper. The refrigerator they had from the 70's was a chocolate brown color, and it lasted them for many years.

My aunt and uncle had a house like that.  Shag carpeting everywhere.  Bright orange in the kitchen.  They sold the house about 25 years ago.  Probably looks totally different on the inside now.

I didn't need my eyeballs anyway.

:brainbleach:

That's several steps past mere cringeworthy.

Some of those outfits don't even make sense. Was the men's onesie supposed to be outerwear, underwear, or sleepwear? And what about that weird knitted tunic that looked like a mini dress for men? Why were so many clothes knitted? Was the knitted poncho supposed to keep out the rain or was it just a fashion statement? Who knew 70s menswear could led to so many existential questions?

Archived