IGNORED

Another charge of abuse by Christian adoptive parents in Kansas

older than allosaurs

The father was until just recently the CEO of a Christian adult care home. He and his wife were fundraising to go to Peru as missionaries with their Peruvian adopted children, who they are now accused of starving and torturing. They pulled them out of school to home school in 2014 and evidently have been keeping them isolated since then.

http://www.thekansan.com/news/20160217/story-of-abuse-unfolds/1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the matter with Kansas? First there was Jonathan and Alison Schumm and their 16 abused kids back in November-December. Then Odalis Sharp and her brood showed up at the seditionist campout at the bird refuge in Oregon, and she's been in trouble with the law (a search on her name will find the Kansas appellate court case) and finally this Jim and Paige Nachtigal! 

Edited to add:  I would love to yell at the people who protested against the Nachtigals' being held. From the police accounts, the children were underfed, had bruises and healing  broken bones, hadn't seen a doctor in years and the boy has a life-threatening cardiac condition. This just infuriates me.

page 2 of this article - the child ran away and was afraid to go home because of SINNING?  

what the ever living heck?  

And the mom is featured on other Christian adoption blogs, running support group and advocacy get-togethers for families. It didn't say if the meetings included her sharing her discipline techniques.

The children's reported treatment reminds me forcibly of the Hana Williams case. I won't be surprised if To Train Up a Child shows up in their family library.

I'm both surprised and not surprised by this. Given how many copies of TTUAC have probably been sold, I'm surprised we don't see the horrible results of that horrible "parenting" book more often. OTOH, wtf? Why do so many people think abuse and starvation is an acceptable form of parenting?

My heart breaks for those poor children!  Adopted children have already been dealt a raw deal in life.  Some kids are fortunate to get adopted by people like my daughter and son-in-law and then there's these people.   Aaargh!

I bet we'll find out that they starved the kids to save money so they could get more/punishing them for the sins that clearly were stopping them from getting more.

“This is the first time in my career, and I have been an attorney for 34 years now … that I have seen a medical diagnosis of child torture,” said David Yoder, county prosecutor. “I did not know there was a medical diagnosis of child torture until this case.”

Wow. Kind of puts a perspective on this case.

Hope this vile couple is convicted & get a maximum punishment. Looks like Kansas Christian Home has removed Jim Nachtigal from the team.

How did these assholes adopt the children anyway? 

I think the child collectors must put on a terrific dog and pony show for the home study.  I'm working with a court ordered child collector (not fundie) case right now.  The home study set off a lot of red flags when I read it because it was TOO good.  The kids have experienced some really sick abuse and thankfully were pulled from the home with no plans for family reunification.  

11 minutes ago, PsyD2013 said:

I think the child collectors must put on a terrific dog and pony show for the home study.  I'm working with a court ordered child collector (not fundie) case right now.  The home study set off a lot of red flags when I read it because it was TOO good.  The kids have experienced some really sick abuse and thankfully were pulled from the home with no plans for family reunification.  

If their were so many red flags why wasn't something done before?  

@Jana814- the home file set off red flags in my mind because it was too perfect.  It did not match the parents I interviewed.

20 minutes ago, PsyD2013 said:

@Jana814- the home file set off red flags in my mind because it was too perfect.  It did not match the parents I interviewed.

Got it!!  I wish more people would see red flags. 

Y'know, I wouldn't be surprised if they got caught up in that if-they-won't-work-they-won't-eat nonsense promoted by "biblical" child rearing "experts".

I was pretty deep into the koolade at one time (had a Maxwell schedule posted on my wall -- never could follow it past 10am because RL happens), and I remember running up against it and, with great trepidation in my heart (what if I'm ruining my kids' Eternity?) NOT following that advice, because kids need good, healthy, growth promoting food.

Maybe that not-work-not-eat scripture was directed at grownups...? And it's being misapplied to ought-to-be-growing children and teens? It makes me sick.

One of our kids is very strong willed, and I could imagine her going without food for days just to win the battle of wills. Insanity!

(snipped from the news link) “God calls us to walk in truth and that is what I am doing,” said Trenna Davenport, one of the walk's organizers. “I just believe in God and that he sent Jesus to testify to the truth, and I am praying for the truth.”

So, Jesus was testifying to the truth? Matt. 18:5-6 comes to mind, as does Mark 9:42 and Luke 17:2....

When three of the Gospels essentially repeat the same idea, that would seem to indicate Jesus felt rather strongly about something, and spoke so forcefully that the compilers felt it quite important to include.

Multiple broken bones in various stages of healing, bruises, and dangerously low weight relative to age/height? Yeah, that's torture. Maybe the "parents" can get jobs as advisors to Trump if Donnie gets elected and needs help in reviving the waterboarding program, 'cause even if torture doesn't work, they deserved it.

I hope the local DSS is tearing apart the medical records on that adult care home.

2 hours ago, refugee said:

One of our kids is very strong willed, and I could imagine her going without food for days just to win the battle of wills. Insanity!

I have one like that too. In fact he's so picky that even with unfettered access to the kitchen, he still barely eats. I don't think he'd have any trouble winning that battle. 

18 minutes ago, samira_catlover said:

(snipped from the news link) “God calls us to walk in truth and that is what I am doing,” said Trenna Davenport, one of the walk's organizers. “I just believe in God and that he sent Jesus to testify to the truth, and I am praying for the truth.”

So, Jesus was testifying to the truth? Matt. 18:5-6 comes to mind, as does Mark 9:42 and Luke 17:2....

When three of the Gospels essentially repeat the same idea, that would seem to indicate Jesus felt rather strongly about something, and spoke so forcefully that the compilers felt it quite important to include.

Multiple broken bones in various stages of healing, bruises, and dangerously low weight relative to age/height? Yeah, that's torture. Maybe the "parents" can get jobs as advisors to Trump if Donnie gets elected and needs help in reviving the waterboarding program, 'cause even if torture doesn't work, they deserved it.

I hope the local DSS is tearing apart the medical records on that adult care home.

I guess they got the truth they were praying for. The news story also said that several of the walkers were weeping at what came out in the press conference. I hope they're horrified, and rethinking their own fundy ways, 

This makes me so angry! There's a special place in hell for people like them. I hope they burn!

4 hours ago, blessalessi said:

Their blog is cached here:    http://tinyurl.com/jc5tv9c The first post is more or less the same spiel in the YouTube video, for anyone who doesn't want to listen to her voice.

Vile people.

Thank you for this link.

Did the Nachtigals have older, grown children before adopting these three children from Peru? There's a small-sized photo at the cached blog that seems to show 2-3 young adults along with what seem to be the Nachtigals and the three adopted children.

ETA: found this post on the case with a link to the adoption timeline for the now-11-year-old children. Looks like the adoption agency was Villa Hope.

2 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Did the Nachtigals have older, grown children before adopting these three children from Peru?

They have three grown children, all of whom are outside of the home. I think the youngest is 20. Somewhere I saw a request that the media not pile on them for comments.

If I have the timeline right, Paige was blogging her latest fundraising request, with its plans for serving "the very least of these" in Peru, the day after police brought her bruised, beaten, half-starved runaway son home and just before the cops connected some more dots and removed the kids.

How on earth did the Nachtigals imagine this would all work out? Having already deflected a dozen DCS reports, did they figure they could just get out of Dodge as soon as they could grift enough money for plane tickets? Or maybe they thought any day now the rod, plus malnutrition, would work its magic and the children would sin no more? Even leaving aside the horror of their actions,  I just can't get any kind of picture of what planet this pair have been living on.

7 hours ago, refugee said:

Y'know, I wouldn't be surprised if they got caught up in that if-they-won't-work-they-won't-eat nonsense promoted by "biblical" child rearing "experts".

I was pretty deep into the koolade at one time (had a Maxwell schedule posted on my wall -- never could follow it past 10am because RL happens), and I remember running up against it and, with great trepidation in my heart (what if I'm ruining my kids' Eternity?) NOT following that advice, because kids need good, healthy, growth promoting food.

Maybe that not-work-not-eat scripture was directed at grownups...? And it's being misapplied to ought-to-be-growing children and teens? It makes me sick.

I think the "if you don't work, you don't eat" verse needs to be taken in context. At that time, the Christian movement was new, largely poor, nomadic, and facing persecution. They literally couldn't afford to feed grifters, lazybums, wannabees and hangers-on who refused to help with the work these Christians were attempting to do under extraordinary circumstances. I don't believe these verses are referring to truly needy people, definitely not to children. I see it as more akin to people like Jill and Derick Dillard bumming money off well-meaning fans so they can travel to Central America, where they are sapping community resources and not doing much of anything for the folks who live there.

24 minutes ago, older than allosaurs said:

They have three grown children, all of whom are outside of the home. I think the youngest is 20. Somewhere I saw a request that the media not pile on them for comments.

If I have the timeline right, Paige was blogging her latest fundraising request, with its plans for serving "the very least of these" in Peru, the day after police brought her bruised, beaten, half-starved runaway son home and just before the cops connected some more dots and removed the kids.

How on earth did the Nachtigals imagine this would all work out? Having already deflected a dozen DCS reports, did they figure they could just get out of Dodge as soon as they could grift enough money for plane tickets? Or maybe they thought any day now the rod, plus malnutrition, would work its magic and the children would sin no more? Even leaving aside the horror of their actions,  I just can't get any kind of picture of what planet this pair have been living on.

god loves them the best he would not let them get in trouble. well god thinks they are fuckheads and sent the law on their asses. 

Archived