IGNORED

Another charge of abuse by Christian adoptive parents in Kansas

older than allosaurs

17 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

It says the defense is asking for the files to be sealed, so I'd guess he thinks it's in his clients best interest for people not to know the details. I have NO expert opinion at all, but maybe he's still hoping their reputation will help them. If the details get out people/community/church will turn against then.

Do you suppose he'll have the nerve to claim that it's actually in the best interest of the abused children to seal the files? :my_angry:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Do you suppose he'll have the nerve to claim that it's actually in the best interest of the abused children to seal the files? :my_angry:

Almost certainly.:my_dodgy:

• 3 weeks later...

Bumped to say there is a preliminary hearing today for the Nachtigals. Affidavits of probable cause for their arrests have been sealed, so the proceedings aren't likely to yield a lot of public detail.

Hearing was postponed. Attorneys are still going through the kids' interview videos and transcripts, plus medical records.

42 minutes ago, older than allosaurs said:

Hearing was postponed. Attorneys are still going through the kids' interview videos and transcripts, plus medical records.

Thanks for the update, I've been thinking about those kids today.  Do you mind sharing your source?  I'm not finding anything. 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Their plea date is August 1.

The boy was about to be readopted by one of his teachers, until the Nachtigals stopped the process because they thought that might look bad for Jim at work. Guess that didn't work out the way they planned. But actually I'm too saddened to even want to snark. Those poor children. So many people knew what was happening and nothing changed; the kids must have felt over and over that no one really cared.

• 1 month later...

I'm just finding this thread I've been MIA for awhile.  I had heard on the local news at one point that they were investigating if the adult children, had been abused or were aware of the abuse of the siblings. For such a tightly nit family I don't know how they couldn't of know.  I haven't heard more about the older kids since then so maybe I missed it. This is very close to home for me also. I know this communty very well or so I thought. We spend a lot of time in Newton, have doctors there , family etc.  My youngest was born there , I've always loved the community and the people. We live in a neighboring city and at one time planned to live there since it was closer to Dh work. We just loved the people and everything about the city.  I am also shocked this happened here of all places it really was a shock for us. Sickening , I hope justice is servered and we (Kansas) doesn't fail these kids again. I also don't know anyone from there family or friends that are fundy. So it's shocking that this church seems to be. Since it's such a large church with so many members. The city of Newton isn't extremely large. However in any city in Kansas, you will find more churches then gas stations. 

5 hours ago, sassyNoz47 said:

I had heard on the local news at one point that they were investigating if the adult children, had been abused or were aware of the abuse of the siblings. For such a tightly nit family I don't know how they couldn't of know.  I haven't heard more about the older kids since then so maybe I missed it.

I think the older kids were pretty much out of the home by the time things went south with the adopted children. And it seems, given that one of the three Peruvian children was spared most of the abuse, that the parents were not equal-opportunity beaters and starvers. As long as you toed the line, praised them constantly, and didn't tell outsiders what was happening, you got to eat and not have your bones broken.

I think I read the case is set for trial in October. My guess would be that a plea bargain will happen before that, but maybe not. Parents that messed up and delusional may think that people will support them when they explain in court. At least that was how it was in the Hana Williams case in our area. The Williamses clearly didn't think they had done anything so terrible (a daughter dead; a son tortured), and the mother chastised the prosecutor in court for breaking up a beautiful family, by which I guess she meant her "real" kids, not those troublesome brown adopted ones.

8 hours ago, sassyNoz47 said:

I'm just finding this thread I've been MIA for awhile.  I had heard on the local news at one point that they were investigating if the adult children, had been abused or were aware of the abuse of the siblings. For such a tightly nit family I don't know how they couldn't of know.  I haven't heard more about the older kids since then so maybe I missed it. This is very close to home for me also. I know this communty very well or so I thought. We spend a lot of time in Newton, have doctors there , family etc.  My youngest was born there , I've always loved the community and the people. We live in a neighboring city and at one time planned to live there since it was closer to Dh work. We just loved the people and everything about the city.  I am also shocked this happened here of all places it really was a shock for us. Sickening , I hope justice is servered and we (Kansas) doesn't fail these kids again. I also don't know anyone from there family or friends that are fundy. So it's shocking that this church seems to be. Since it's such a large church with so many members. The city of Newton isn't extremely large. However in any city in Kansas, you will find more churches then gas stations. 

The church itself isn't uber-fundy, not like the Duggers etc.  I also know a lot of people there, some attend the church, and they're as normal as anyone.  This family, of course, was obviously out there, but they certainly don't represent the church or community.

ETA:  The last I've heard, the case was postponed (or whatever it's called) until some-time in the fall.  No idea if that's the latest update or not.

• 4 weeks later...

According to a Peruvian adoption blog, the government of Peru has suspended all international adoptions "pending investigations of agencies working outside of Peru that have not provided the country with post adoption reports/paperwork. This was done in response to the on-going court case involving Jim and Paige Nachtigal of Kansas, who have been charged with abusing their 3 adopted Peruvian children."

https://adoptperu.com/2016/09/25/oh-peru-why-do-you-hate-me/

One of the big questions brought up in the Nachtigal debacle was why the placing agency had not followed through with the required post-adoption checks, which might have uncovered issues like broken bones, starvation, and an untreated (though diagnosed prior to placement) heart condition.

Maybe some small measure of safety for future adoptees will come from this horrific story.

Isn't the US policy that once a child is adopted, that's the end of government involvement? If so, I imagine that's how the agencies have been getting away with not following up until now. 

Awful people. The parents were just vicious. Thankfully they went to public school where they could be helped by teachers and social workers, unlike the Hana Williams.

Finally found the court dates - one on the 26th of this month where they will decide if it will be a joint trial or separate, and then trial set for January.  I wish they'd get it over with already.

On 10/2/2016 at 8:52 AM, daisyd681 said:

Isn't the US policy that once a child is adopted, that's the end of government involvement? If so, I imagine that's how the agencies have been getting away with not following up until now. 

True, but governments of other countries can require updates from the adoption agencies as part of their agreement to let the agencies work there. So, presumably, either Peruvian authorities didn't bother to go after the U.S. agency for the reports, or the agency faked them or stalled, for years. Or maybe both.

Elements of these kinds of  requirements may be codified in the Hague Convention covering international adoption. I've only adopted domestically and I didn't look it up.

There is usually no teeth to the monitoring requirements. That was what Russia put in place before they closed entirely that had parents so up in arms, teeth to enforce the post-placement monitoring. Generally though, once an adoption is finalized you cannot force parents to allow access to their legal children no matter what you agreed to do prior to that finalization. It's not really the agencies faults per se, but it does play into things where there is a persistent issue.

Now that I've read this entire thread, my stomach is in knots and I almost wish I'd skipped it. I will never understand people who treat children like punching bags or worse and I don't even want to try. The only thing I'd like to see happen to them is imprisonment for life. 

• 1 month later...

www.thekansan.com/news/20170125/nachtigals-to-face-jury-trial

The Nachtigals had a settlement/plea bargain meeting today, and evidently no deals got done, so they are going to jury trials, eventually. Their lawyers are asking for continuances because I guess a year is not long enough to come up with an excuse for torturing your children.

Archived