IGNORED

Erika Shupe *glower pout* Large Families on Purpose Part 5

keen23

Just a note on Erika and restricting her kids' food: those kids are probably unhappy and anxious and sneak food as a result.

I am with my mom who is kind of a food and health freak, for a few days. But whenever I go out to eat with her, she refuses to make the next meal because "you had a big meal earlier." And since there is only one car right now for this vacation, I plan to walk a mile each way to get snacks for dinner. Given my mom's tendencies I usually pack myself extra nonperishables to eat in my room, but I've run out.

The stupid idea that a restaurant meal is two meals also means that I either take leftovers if I can, or eat as much as I can while I am there.

I'm sure the Shupe kids are similar. Sneaking food and eating as much as you can when you can doesn't make for healthy attitudes about food.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just reminded of this, mostly because of Erika's book recommendations and "warnings".

I wasn't allowed to read The Chronicles of Narnia (well, did anyways lol) because in the 7th book Aslan forgives a character for never having worshipped him by basically saying "you didn't know any better".

Random, I know. But all her books knocked that loose in my brain.

41 minutes ago, lawlifelgbt said:

Just a note on Erika and restricting her kids' food: those kids are probably unhappy and anxious and sneak food as a result.

I am with my mom who is kind of a food and health freak, for a few days. But whenever I go out to eat with her, she refuses to make the next meal because "you had a big meal earlier." And since there is only one car right now for this vacation, I plan to walk a mile each way to get snacks for dinner. Given my mom's tendencies I usually pack myself extra nonperishables to eat in my room, but I've run out.

The stupid idea that a restaurant meal is two meals also means that I either take leftovers if I can, or eat as much as I can while I am there.

I'm sure the Shupe kids are similar. Sneaking food and eating as much as you can when you can doesn't make for healthy attitudes about food.

I can relate to you completely. My dad is very much the same way. He eats one proper meal a day and snacks the rest of the day. I hate traveling with him because one meal at a restaurant is pretty much all he wants to do every day, even if that meal was something light like a salad. Then if I mention getting something for dinner, he insists that its "too much" and makes me feel guilty for wanting to get another meal. But what's even more annoying is that if I do grab dinner for myself (he will refuse to get anything for himself), he'll pick off of my meal. Its like.... if you want food, you should order it yourself and not poach mine. 

And I agree that it has made me feel anxious about not being in control of my food. It was only when I became an adult that I realized I'm not a total fatty weirdo and that people DO require more than 1 full meal a day.

Stopping in to say at random that for the entire 19 pages of this thread so far, I have been trying to train my brain to stop reading the heading as *power grout*. I do the same double take every single time.

Now I've decided that power grout is probably a product Erika would endorse, and I'm just going to go with it.

Stopping in to say at random that for the entire 19 pages of this thread so far, I have been trying to train my brain to stop reading the heading as *power grout*. I do the same double take every single time.

Now I've decided that power grout is probably a product Erika would endorse, and I'm just going to go with it.

Haha, me too! I imagine power grout as some kind of industrial strength tile cleaner.

7 hours ago, MakeitSew said:

Haha, me too! I imagine power grout as some kind of industrial strength tile cleaner.

Power grout:  Keeping your kids stuck down super tight!

I recently helped delivery baby #10 for an Erika Clone.  This was only the second girl, and the poor first daughter was the oldest.  When all the other kids showed up with the grandparents, the dad and grandpa took the boys out for ice cream, while the girl stayed behind (skirts only!) with Grandma to help give the baby her first bathe.  I was appalled.  At least the men brought ice cream back for the ladies.  

1 hour ago, SunnyAndrsn said:

I recently helped delivery baby #10 for an Erika Clone.  This was only the second girl, and the poor first daughter was the oldest.  When all the other kids showed up with the grandparents, the dad and grandpa took the boys out for ice cream, while the girl stayed behind (skirts only!) with Grandma to help give the baby her first bathe.  I was appalled.  At least the men brought ice cream back for the ladies.  

Oh man I feel terrible that the only other girl was the oldest and has to sistermom 9 other kids. I can't even imagine the misery.

6 hours ago, SunnyAndrsn said:

If I had a brand new baby sister after all those brothers, I'd stay there with her instead of going out with the boys too. No contest. 

23 hours ago, older than allosaurs said:

I've been reading it as "Power Glower". 

6 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

If I had a brand new baby sister after all those brothers, I'd stay there with her instead of going out with the boys too. No contest. 

It get what you're saying, but what I found troublesome was that it wasn't a choice for her to go get ice cream or not.  Second, the boys had the choice to stay and watch their sister learn how to take care of their baby sister, but of course they all chose to go out for ice cream.  They were not expected to do any infant care. It was the family's tradition that the daughter always did the first bath with mom for the new baby.  As a pre-teen, she's already been groomed for years to care for her younger siblings.   

As the nurse, they expected me to be giving the 12 year old tips and tricks, and walk her through how to do the bathing.  The mom sat there and told the little girl where to find the new clothes, the bathing products she wanted used, etc.  Thankfully, this mom is over 40 and there was a bit of a gap between this baby and the previous set (twins) so hopefully this is it and only two girls will be subjected to this.

New post up. Fairly mundane to me. Just household tips and tricks.

Except for this irritation:

"Pump up the volume by placing your iPhone or iPod in a bowl.  The concave shape amplifies the music."

No. The only way to amplify sound waves is via electrical means, such as an external speaker. The millisecond the sound waves emerge from the iPhone speaker, they start to imperceptibly decay.

What this is, Erika, since I guess you occasionally read here: Is reverberation.

Remember that bit I had told you, Erika, about the "echo chambers"? Same principle.

I was given a shitty homeschool education, but have since read and educated myself on basic scientific principles. She IS doing homeschool, and isn't comprehending basic scientific principles.

On 3/6/2016 at 2:20 PM, lawlifelgbt said:

Are you my SIL? Because your mom sounds like my MIL. Women is super skinny, but complains about being fat and how much she hates how fat looks. I'm overweight, her 2 sisters are overweight, and her SIL is overweight - so I often wonder just what she thinks of us. 

I have never heard anyone else refer to the "daily-daily". "Things that make day-to-day life easier" or even just "daily life".

Also the iPod-in-bowl tip isn't actually Erika's. But still, doesn't really make sense. (Erika likely just copy-pasted the list without checking it). 

Wow, put shit in tupperware to keep it organized and wear socks if your feet get cold! I never would have imagined...thank goodness she writes these mom tips *smile*.

7 hours ago, SunnyAndrsn said:

It get what you're saying, but what I found troublesome was that it wasn't a choice for her to go get ice cream or not.  Second, the boys had the choice to stay and watch their sister learn how to take care of their baby sister, but of course they all chose to go out for ice cream.  They were not expected to do any infant care. It was the family's tradition that the daughter always did the first bath with mom for the new baby.  As a pre-teen, she's already been groomed for years to care for her younger siblings.   

As the nurse, they expected me to be giving the 12 year old tips and tricks, and walk her through how to do the bathing.  The mom sat there and told the little girl where to find the new clothes, the bathing products she wanted used, etc.  Thankfully, this mom is over 40 and there was a bit of a gap between this baby and the previous set (twins) so hopefully this is it and only two girls will be subjected to this.

Yeah, that stinks. 

17 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Wow, put shit in tupperware to keep it organized and wear socks if your feet get cold! I never would have imagined...thank goodness she writes these mom tips *smile*.

And I don't even get why men's socks -- yes, if your feet get cold put on socks -- but walking around in too-big socks does not equal 'slippers' to me!  In fact it would just equal 'tripping hazard' and 'annoying sloppy feeling' :my_tongue:

Ugh, too-large socks? At least they don't get holes in the "heals" for two years. And sitting cross legged in a skirt, Erika? Tsk tsk. That doesn't sound too modest to me. Someone might, you know, be tempted to think about the crotch.

10 hours ago, THERetroGamerNY said:

New post up. Fairly mundane to me. Just household tips and tricks.

Except for this irritation:

"Pump up the volume by placing your iPhone or iPod in a bowl.  The concave shape amplifies the music."

No. The only way to amplify sound waves is via electrical means, such as an external speaker. The millisecond the sound waves emerge from the iPhone speaker, they start to imperceptibly decay.

What this is, Erika, since I guess you occasionally read here: Is reverberation.

Remember that bit I had told you, Erika, about the "echo chambers"? Same principle.

I was given a shitty homeschool education, but have since read and educated myself on basic scientific principles. She IS doing homeschool, and isn't comprehending basic scientific principles.

I put my iPhone in a cup aimed in the direction of where I am, and I can hear it better.  It is louder.  Try it sometime.  Amplification is making something louder, so she's technically right on this one.

6 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

And I don't even get why men's socks -- yes, if your feet get cold put on socks -- but walking around in too-big socks does not equal 'slippers' to me!  In fact it would just equal 'tripping hazard' and 'annoying sloppy feeling' :my_tongue:

For some stupid reason, men's socks are usually made thicker than women's.  I'm wearing a pair of my partner's socks right now because they're thicker than mine.  His are from the men's department, and my own socks are women's athletic socks.  Even when they're the same brand, men's socks, which are thicker, often cost less per pair in packages.

7 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

I have never heard anyone else refer to the "daily-daily". "Things that make day-to-day life easier" or even just "daily life".

Also the iPod-in-bowl tip isn't actually Erika's. But still, doesn't really make sense. (Erika likely just copy-pasted the list without checking it). 

Actually, we used to do that at the bar on the mountain in between ski runs, no speaker hook up. Those mini portable speakers have made it rather obsolete. 

Yeah, all it's really doing is reverberating more sound waves directly at you, which will naturally make them concentrate and appear louder. It's still not actual amplification.

Reverberated sound can be shaped into some crazy ways. I remember a science museum once having these two huge conical devices across the way from each other, and you could whisper into one, and a person on the other would clearly hear you. Was super cool.

I also was mystified as to why Erika can't just wear her own socks around the house. Why does she need men's socks? Then I realized...if she only wears skirts and dresses, she may not have socks. :my_confused: thank Jesus that Costco carries men's tube socks that will last her two years. Seriously I can't with this woman sometimes. I also don't understand why she needs a paragraph explaining what "mom-tips" are. Around the rest of the internet, they're called "hacks" or just "tips" and they're for everyone, not just women who have procreated. 

6 hours ago, Jingerbread said:

I put my iPhone in a cup aimed in the direction of where I am, and I can hear it better.  It is louder.  Try it sometime.  Amplification is making something louder, so she's technically right on this one.

For some stupid reason, men's socks are usually made thicker than women's.  I'm wearing a pair of my partner's socks right now because they're thicker than mine.  His are from the men's department, and my own socks are women's athletic socks.  Even when they're the same brand, men's socks, which are thicker, often cost less per pair in packages.

That makes a lot of sense (even though it's stupid -- women hike and do strenuous stuff that requires thick quality socks too) -- and in fact you'd think it might be the opposite considering that women's feet are more likely to be cold -- stereotype but I think there's some truth to it, given women's statistics regarding anemia and poor circulation.

My comment becomes irrelevant if she bought socks that fit her, regardless whether they are men's socks.  In fact now it actually makes sense -- thanks for enlightening me on that!

(PS -- I usually buy my socks in a sporting goods store or other non-gendered situation, and they are the same socks -- in fact each pair is labelled as "11 men's/9 women's" or "9 men's/7 women's" or whatever.)

(PPS -- her strategy might make sense too if she means that she puts on a pair of men's socks OVER her own socks -- that would indeed work more like slippers, and it would work fine to have them be a size up as well.  Maybe that is what she meant but didn't explain.)

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived