IGNORED

Wisconsin does not allow VA id to vote

Curious

I saw this on facebook earlier today: http://theintellectualist.co/at-polls-wisconsin-does-not-accept-identification-from-veteran-administation/

I said in a post on another thread that Wisconsin seems to be full of crazy lately and this is just another example.

How is official ID received from the Veteran's Administration NOT a valid form of ID.  These are people who sacrificed their health and safety and this is how they are repaid?  Disgusting!

I live in Wisconsin.  I am heartbroken.  

What Scott Walker and the Republicans did in such a short time to my beloved state is reprehensible.  The Democratic administration prior to Walker's wasn't perfect but it sure wasn't THIS effed-up.   Prior to that, four-term Republican governor Tommy Thompson was a Republican, yes - but he loved the State dearly (as well as the University of Wisconsin) but is considered an unelectable "RINO" these days.    And he could and did  WORK WITH THE DEMOCRATS  to get things done in the state.    The HORROR!   

So Curious, the example of the veterans' ID being unacceptable to vote is shameful and it true.   The Republican administration is making it very difficult to vote in Wisconsin.    Tightening up  voter ID requirements is/was a solution in search of a problem.    There has been no voter fraud here.   (Or mostly anywhere for that matter.)  

And Walker's administration has provided no funding for communication of this new law (it was passed a couple of years ago, but was delayed going into effect due to court challenges.  It WILL, however,  be in effect for local elections here in February and for the Presidential primary in early April.  

Perhaps worst of all, if you are a student at UW-Madison  (43,000+ enrolled undergrads and grads in Madison alone) your regular student (picture) ID (the "WISCARD")  is no longer good enough to vote.     You need a second ID.  

You must physically stand in line to get a different/special voting ID (good for only two years) and then, along with that --  you must also provide proof of enrollment (to make sure you didn't drop out, etc. since your ID was issued).     WHY DOES THAT EVEN MATTER FOR VOTING????    If you are a permanent resident of Wisconsin attending the UW, you can just use your driver's license.   But there are TONS of students from all over the country here!  

Several Republican lawmakers actually suggested that students should go back to their home districts to vote.     Seriously.  Sure - ON A TUESDAY in the middle of the semester.    FFS.   

They must not want all those over-educated kids to vote.  Maybe a large number of them are educated enough to carefully consider what's out there   (Trump?  Cruz?)  and they will vote for one of the Democratic candidates.  

Wisconsin has always been known as an example of good, clean government.   The first system for workers compensation insurance designed to protect workers from on the job injuries and illness was developed in Wisconsin.  Ditto for unemployment compensation insurance:  the first in the nation to develop this important safeguard against people starving and losing their homes during times of unemployment.    Strong public sector unions.  Excellent public school systems, including the mighty University of Wisconsin-Madison (GO BUCKY!)  of which I am a very proud graduate.  Leader in stem cell research with Dr. James Thompson.  Home of the "Wisconsin Idea".   I could go on and on and on.

The level of contempt that Walker and his minions have for education and an educated populace is incredible.  The UW is an engine of ecoomic growth for our state.  I think Walker must realize that but he hates the fact that it is true.  

Wisconsin is also the birthplace of the Republican party in Ripon, 1854.  But that Republican party bears little resemblance to today's party of failed trickle down economics and invasion into peoples' bedrooms and bodies.  

So Walker was elected by the people here in Wisconsin.  Not once, but three times (including the recall election).  A great deal of out of state money was poured into the state by the Koch brothers, especially.  Then Walker and the now-Republican legislature went to town, implementing the boilerplate legislation drafted by Alec.  American Legislative Exchange Council    

Google it and be afraid. Be very afraid.    Also be very afraid of what can happen if people do not care enough to vote. Or, they vote, but against their own best interests.

I don't think we'll elect the guy again but much damage has been done and it will take decades to reverse it.  

On 2/6/2016 at 11:02 PM, notfundy said:

Tightening up  voter ID requirements is/was a solution in search of a problem.    There has been no voter fraud here.

This seems to be a pattern with Republican administrations.  I have not checked to see if it is an ALEC initiative, but I'd bet my favorite cat on it.

The issues you describe with university voters - also true elsewhere.

And the whole thing about accepting the VA ID.  It just makes me sick.

I just don't understand how they can say that a government issued ID is not valid.  It's not like anyone can just walk into the VA and get one of the ID cards issued.  For all the talk about helping veterans (by the republicans), there actions sure speak louder than words.

I live in a state where the Federal Government is not recognizing for situations such as going into a Federal facility or going onto a military base our driver's license.  We aren't the only state.  That reminds me, I need to work on getting a passport.  So yeah - totally figures that they'd reject a VA ID.  

Archived