IGNORED

What are you Reading (Part 2)?

keen23

I finished two more V.I. Warshawski books. Then I read The Dry by Jane Harper. (I liked it. Couldn't put it down.) Then I read Pachinko by Min Jin Lee. (Really liked this one too. I want to read her other book now, Free Food for Millionaires. )

Last night I read The Flowers of War by Galing Yan. (Emotionally hard to read. Based on a true story.) 

And I started The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen Year Old Boy With Autism by Naoki Higashida. I'm finding it very enlightening and a great look into my daughter's every day reality. I have read parts of it out loud to her and she is amazed that the author is able to put into words the feelings they share.

I also started The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe.

Next up is Fatal by John Lescroart- one of my all time favorite authors.

• Upvote 2

I read The Party by Robyn Harding which was pretty good. Not super amazing but decent. I also read Because of Miss Bridgerton by Julia Quinn because I like a bodice ripper every now and again. Again decent but not something you're going to run to read. 

I'm still working on Under the Banner of Heaven. It's just a lot! 

• Upvote 2

I finished up Under the Banner of Heaven, thought provoking for sure! It's a heavy book. So, to counteract that I read The Girl with the Make-Believe Husband by Julia Quinn. It was just as bodice rippery as the first one. 

I've moved onto Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman! :) 

• Upvote 4

I just finished Miracle Cure: The Creation of Antibiotics and the Birth of Modern Medicine by William Rosen, and highly recommend it.    

Normally I avoid non-fiction in the summer, but I picked it up in the library, and just could not put it down.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

I finished up Norse Mythology because 1) Neil Gaiman 2) Mythology Nerd 3) Couldn't sleep! I moved onto Do Not Say We Have Nothing by Madeleine Thien. Here's hoping it's another good one ;) 

Edited by Carm_88
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I finished up Norse Mythology because 1) Neil Gaiman 2) Mythology Nerd

In reading some of Gaiman's other novels, it would have been helpful for me to know more about world mythology.  I plan to read Norse Mythology in the next couple of months.  Thanks for reminding me to add it to my list.  :)

I just finished Poldark by Winston Graham.  I loved the original series back in the day, and was happy that the book was so well written.  I'll continue on with the series if the books ever go on sale.

• Upvote 1

I finished Do Not Say We Have Nothing which was a tough book to get through. Mostly because the subject matter is, hard to read. Hard to imagine. I've moved onto something lighter that will tickle my Canadian bone Hockey Towns: Untold Stories from the Heart of Canada by Ron MacLean.

My Nanny had a crush on Ron, so I will smile reading this thinking of her. 

• Upvote 1

I finished The End of Your Life Book Club. I found it beautiful and thought provoking. I will definitely read it again. I might actually purchase it for my extremely small collection of books. 

I finished the book written by the boy with autism. Really enlightening. 

I read another V I Warshawski book.

Now I'm reading the newest Charlie Parker book (# 15 in the series I think) by John Connelly. 

• Upvote 1

"The Day of the Triffids" by John Wyndham came up on my Kindle Unlimited, so I read it the other day.  For many years, I had known it was considered somewhat of a post-apocalyptic classic, but apparently my brain conflated it with Star Trek's "The Trouble with Tribbles", so I didn't bother to read it.  Anyway, it was a good read, nothing like what I expected even after sorting out the Triffids-Tribbles confusion in my mind.

:pb_biggrin:

• Upvote 4

Reading  The Child Catchers: Rescue Trafficking and the New Gospel of Adoption by Kathryn Joyce.

It is stirring up all kinds of emotions. Blind rage at fundys and their white savior complex who collect children like objects to build their army for Christ.  The motivation to decimate  non white cultures like w hat was done to the Native Americans. And then I wonder how my daughter fits into all this? Did I think I was saving my girl? Have I cut her off from her birth culture and made her "white". 

It sets off big red flags on the Jessa and Ben adopting. 

Even with all the angst I do recommend the book.

Edited by onekidanddone
  • Upvote 1

Hockey Towns: Untold Stories from the Heart of Canada was good, I finished it off today. I just started Don't Go by Lisa Scottoline. 

I finished Don't Go, it was kinda predictable and the ending of course was all wrapped up with a bow on it. Decent but nothing spectacular. Started on Into the Water by Paula Hawkins. We shall see how it goes. 

• Upvote 2

Soooo I've made my yearly re-read through most of the Anne of Green Gables books. Rilla of Ingleside will be finished soon. I also read The Bean Trees and Feeling Sorry for Celia both of which were decent. Still haven't really made any movements on Into the Water. Planning on starting The Lies of Locke Lamora once I finish with Rilla! 

• Upvote 2

I finished the Lies of Locke Lamora I didn't finish Rilla or Into the Water, but I did finish A Confederacy of Dunces. Starting on 22/11/63 and maybe will make my way through the forgotten ones ;) 

On 7/10/2017 at 4:25 PM, Carm_88 said:

I finished up Under the Banner of Heaven, thought provoking for sure! It's a heavy book. So, to counteract that I read The Girl with the Make-Believe Husband by Julia Quinn. It was just as bodice rippery as the first one. 

I've moved onto Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman! :) 

I feel like we're reading twins right now. I just finished reading The Witness Wore Red (about a woman who escaped the polygamist cult run by Warren Jeffs and then testified against him), and I have a stack of Julia Quinn and Georgette Heyer books to read next. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, RoseWilder said:

I feel like we're reading twins right now. I just finished reading The Witness Wore Red (about a woman who escaped the polygamist cult run by Warren Jeffs and then testified against him), and I have a stack of Julia Quinn and Georgette Heyer books to read next. 

I love Julia Quinn, her books never fail to put a smile on my face! A Witness Wore Red is on my list of things to read! :) 

• Upvote 2

@Carm_88 @RoseWilder I'm also a big fan of Julia Quinn. I should go get some of her books out of the library but I don't seem to have much time for reading this summer.

• Upvote 2

On 8/6/2017 at 3:24 AM, Bethella said:

@Carm_88 @RoseWilder I'm also a big fan of Julia Quinn. I should go get some of her books out of the library but I don't seem to have much time for reading this summer.

It's always so fun to meet people who have similar reading taste!

The other author I've been getting in to lately is Mary Balogh. Has anyone else here read her books? 

• Upvote 1

On 8/11/2017 at 5:19 PM, RoseWilder said:

It's always so fun to meet people who have similar reading taste!

The other author I've been getting in to lately is Mary Balogh. Has anyone else here read her books? 

Don't be shocked but I have! :P I read her, hmmmm The Survivor's Club Series and the Bedwyn Saga, back around Christmas. Her characters make me giggle! :) I enjoy her writing very much which reminds me that I have to get back into that. 

I read The Hobbit and The Royal Nanny by Karen Harper. It's the fictionalized life of Charlotte "Lala" Bill, the Nanny of King George V and Queen Mary's kids. It was pretty good. I'm going through my Tokien phase so I'm reading The Fellowship of the Ring but I'm going to check out more Karen Harper and likely Mary Balogh! :) 

• Upvote 1

On 11/08/2017 at 0:49 PM, RoseWilder said:

I like Mary Balogh. I mean, she's literary trash, but fun read nonetheless. Along that same vein, I like Christina Dodd. Christina likes to build a universe too, so a minor character in one book might be a major in another.

• Upvote 2

I have several books going at once right now. 

The All Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion (I have mixed feelings about this one. I like it in a lot of ways, but I also feel like it's moving too slow.) 

The Adrenal-Thyroid Revolution (I've read tons of books about thyroid and adrenal problems and this is the best one I've ever read.) 

Hunger by Roxane Gay (I've never had this emotional of a reaction to a book before. I'm only 9 pages in and I've already cried once.) 

Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate (A fictionalized account of children who were in the orphanage run by Georgia Tann. This book is not as good as I wanted it to be. But I've always been fascinated by the Georgia Tann story so I've placed a hold at the library on a non-fiction book about her.) 

• Upvote 1

I gave up on Before We Were Yours. I don't like giving up on a book mid-way through, but it was boring me senseless. 

I'm stilling reading The Adrenal-Thyroid Revolution (health related books are my least favorite kind of book to read, but are sadly necessary, so I only read a chapter or so a day and then spend the rest of the time reading fun books.) 

I decided to re-read the Little House books. I'm currently reading Little House in the Big Woods. I like the later books in the series better than the early ones, but I'm still enjoying it. 

I'm also reading: 

Sitcom Style by Diana Friedman (it contains a lot of interesting behind-the-scenes information about sitcom sets.) 

Emma (My plan is to re-read this book and then watch all the different film adaptations of Emma for my blog. I'm still debating whether to include Clueless or not.)

Save the Date by Jen Doll (I wasn't expecting to like this book as much as I am - but it's a fun, breezy book. It would be a great book to read on vacation.) 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

I finished reading Save the Date and wow that book went downhill. I really liked it at first, but mid-way through it went from being about the weddings the author attended to being about all the times the author got drunk and did embarrassing things at a wedding. 

Now I'm on a kick of reading books about high-order multiples. I read the book about the McCaughey family and now I'm reading about the Dilley family. I refuse to read about the Gosselins. I read that book once and Kate came across as bitchy and crazy as I expected. Once was more than enough for that. 

• Upvote 2

I've read The Log of Captain Bob Bartlett, Edward VIII, and The Mistresses of Henry VIII. I'm on a bit of a biography kick it seems! I'm not sure what is up next. 

• Upvote 1

I read a few more V.I. Warshawski books, and a couple by Michael Connelly in the Harry Bosch series. I'm hoping to get to the library tomorrow to pick up a few more books.

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic