IGNORED

Leah Remini comes out against Scientology

urban teacher

Just finished listening to Leah's book, and it's really interesting to hear the perspective of a celebrity who grew up in Scientology. On the one hand, it makes  more sense to me that someone would stick to it if they grew up in it (I still can't grasp adults who fall into it, no matter how many examples I read about), but on the other, she seems to have always known that there was quite a bit of bullshit involved. The way she avoided bringing friends into the church and actively discouraged them from giving their phones and addresses to church member; how she specifically chose a non-scientologist nanny for her daughter...she new the whole thing was weird and was a bit embarrassed by the whole thing. I don't know where I'm going with this, it's just that as someone who has zero inclinations toward faith I have a hard time getting it. Anyone else left with the impression that Leah still believes in the actual mythology, or is agnostic about it? She didn't say anything at all about what she thought about OT III, for example, just quoted her mother about not feeling what she thought she would when reaching the upper levels. 

One big thing that really blows my mind about the celebrity scientologist like Leah and Paul Haggis is how they avoid anything negative about the COS. These aren't isolated fundies who've only known people like them and are unequipped to deal with the larger world, these are successful people with financial independence routinely interacting and befriending people outside their faith, who watch tv and go to the movies and read, and yet they are completely shocked when they finally decide to do a google search, because they followed the church's rule about avoiding anything negative about the church.

I *really* do not get it. 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have always loved Bellisario. After NCIS: LA last night, I love him more. They're so going to get sued, but I'm glad they did it anyway. They didn't pull any punches.

Just checked.  I've got it On Demand.  I'll watch it tomorrow.  Tonight is Major Crimes night.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished this the other day and it was fantastic. She did not hold back on all the details of how weird Tom Cruise is (and why does he get to be a spokesperson for Scientology, which is all about becoming enlightened and perfect, and he has had three failed marriages? BTW I was reading the news and Tom has not been photographed with Suri in over 800 days), and how horrible the church was to her. Honestly she is, rightfully, pretty traumatized by the whole experience. She said she had a 40th birthday party a few years ago and everyone gave her a letter about how much they loved her as a friend. She went through the letters recently and every single person who wrote one has disowned her and cut her out of their lives (because they were Scientologists and that's what they do). That has to be crushing to a person.

Now I have just downloaded Jenna Hill Miscavige's book.

Be prepared to be shocked at Jenna's life as a child and teenager.  I still can't quite process the extent to which she was separated from her parents as she was growing up.   

ETA: I just remembered to check to see if my library had gotten a copy of Leah's book.  

Yup, they have 3 copies with 63 holds. May have to download as my first e-book. 

So, I finally saw Going Clear, and I was disappointed in the material it covered. After reading the whole book, which is a thorough indictment of Scientology's illegal practices, all the emphasis on Cruise and Travolta seemed to be piddly shit. 

The same for all the Leah Remini interviews. I want to know how Narcanon gets away with running facilities like they do, with long histories of client deaths, without medical personnel on the grounds, and misleading advertising campaigns. I want to know how much money the CoS is donating to political campaigns, and where. I want to know where the bodies (literal and metaphorical) are buried. I really only care about the Cruise/Travolta shit when it comes to what they know about the human trafficking, forced labor, and separation of families. 

But it's nice to know that I'm not the only person unhealthily fascinated with this stuff. The Duggar fascination explains itself, since I grew up in AR, within the Duggar sphere of influence - fundamentalist churches and social networks. This other stuff - I've never met a Scientologist. It purely boggles me. 

So, I finally saw Going Clear, and I was disappointed in the material it covered. After reading the whole book, which is a thorough indictment of Scientology's illegal practices, all the emphasis on Cruise and Travolta seemed to be piddly shit. 

The same for all the Leah Remini interviews. I want to know how Narcanon gets away with running facilities like they do, with long histories of client deaths, without medical personnel on the grounds, and misleading advertising campaigns. I want to know how much money the CoS is donating to political campaigns, and where. I want to know where the bodies (literal and metaphorical) are buried. I really only care about the Cruise/Travolta shit when it comes to what they know about the human trafficking, forced labor, and separation of families. 

But it's nice to know that I'm not the only person unhealthily fascinated with this stuff. The Duggar fascination explains itself, since I grew up in AR, within the Duggar sphere of influence - fundamentalist churches and social networks. This other stuff - I've never met a Scientologist. It purely boggles me. 

I live in an urban area that has festivals and carnivals quite frequently, there's always a scientology booth set up at every one. My husband can't understand my fascination with messing with them. They have their little dianetics machine (I think that's what it's called) with signs offering a free stress test and a table full of LRH books. 

I have two acquaintances who are scientologists and they've never talked about it. One of them is my good friends best friend. And they've never talked about it! Only that she grew up there in the church in FL and that she doesn't drink because you can't drink 24 hours before going to session. She also doesn't take Tylenol. She struggles with depression and feels so guilty because that means there is something wrong with her, according to Scientology. She is moving back to FL at Xmas to live and work at the church. Her mom has devoted her whole life to it. She is gorgeous and a successful makeup artist but she isn't happy at all. It's all she has ever known.

Tony Ortega's Underground Bunker is my favorite for details and links (tonyortega.org)  I really really hope that the FBI tracks CoS but not likely because protected religion.  Today's current tony ortega post about Rick Ross and David Koresh. 

I finished this the other day and it was fantastic. She did not hold back on all the details of how weird Tom Cruise is (and why does he get to be a spokesperson for Scientology, which is all about becoming enlightened and perfect, and he has had three failed marriages? BTW I was reading the news and Tom has not been photographed with Suri in over 800 days), and how horrible the church was to her. Honestly she is, rightfully, pretty traumatized by the whole experience. She said she had a 40th birthday party a few years ago and everyone gave her a letter about how much they loved her as a friend. She went through the letters recently and every single person who wrote one has disowned her and cut her out of their lives (because they were Scientologists and that's what they do). That has to be crushing to a person.

re: the bold. That little girl is very, very lucky her mother (Katie Holmes) shook off the youthful swooning and realized what she'd gotten herself into. 

re: the bold. That little girl is very, very lucky her mother (Katie Holmes) shook off the youthful swooning and realized what she'd gotten herself into. 

And that her maternal grandfather is a lawyer who made sure she could get a fair divorce deal and maintain custody even though her ex was an incredibly rich and powerful man. 

And that her maternal grandfather is a lawyer who made sure she could get a fair divorce deal and maintain custody even though her ex was an incredibly rich and powerful man. 

Katie Holmes' father is owed a huge debt of gratitude by both his daughter and granddaughter. Saved from Scientology! Shame Nicole Kidman didn't have such a good prenup, and divorce advice.

Katie Holmes' father is owed a huge debt of gratitude by both his daughter and granddaughter. Saved from Scientology! Shame Nicole Kidman didn't have such a good prenup, and divorce advice.

Yes, also sad for the Cruise children, who would probably have been a hell of a lot better off with Kidman raising them. 

• 11 months later...

Archived