IGNORED

Leah Remini comes out against Scientology

urban teacher

withaj, thanks so much for the clarification. I hadn't realized that her family had left with her. Good for them!

Yep! Mother, stepfather, sister, brother-in-law, husband, daughter. Daughter is young and wasn't really involved yet, but I think that probably had a lot to do with why she left when she did. 

Isn't the brother-in-law's family still involved with Scientology so now he's cut off from them? Or did I dream that while groggily watching her show one night?  

Now that you mention it, that does sound right. I think I remember the clip where they were all sitting around talking about it.

Yes, this scene stood out to me as well. What happened is, when Leah left the church, her brother in law's parents called him up and asked, "So, are you going to divorce Shannon?" (Shannon being Leah's sister) He said no of course he was not going to leave his wife. And they said they could no longer talk to him. And he has not talked to them since.

I think she is hilarious. I pre-ordered the book on my kindle so when I read it I will come back here and deliver the juicy parts. And Going Clear is a fantastic documentary!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how Leah has made it through without much difficulty from the church, it seems...I know we don't know what is going on in her personal life, but it doesn't seem like the Co$ has made any public accusations or started any gross rumors. 

"Going Clear" is a great documentary. When it came out, several related articles came out as well, with tons of detail about the disappearance of Shelly Miscavage and lots of other crazy stuff. Here are just a couple:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/inside-scientology-20110208

http://www.businessinsider.com/hbo-lawyers-for-scientology-doc-2014-11?op=1

Leah's a brave woman for putting herself publicly at odds with this bunch.

Going Clear the documentary is actually based on a book by the same name. If you are really interested, google Tony Ortega and make some coffee.

Thanks for that. I've read some of Marty Rathbun's site markrathbun.wordpress.com but I find his writing kind of pedantic. Ortega is a much better writer.

Ortega is a real journalist and a former editor of the Village Voice. Rathbun is a former Scientology tough guy and enforcer who still believes in LHR but not the current church. He has been labeled both an SP and a squirrel by the official CoS.

I listens to a podcast called Surviving Scientology and one of the guys interviewed who left only in the past few years believed she was still alive as mail in her name was forwarded to her at the Spiritual Technology Center.

That seems...like thin evidence.

I'd like to believe they wouldn't be malicious / dumb / evil enough to kill a person, but, well, I doubt it is the first time...

I know take it with a grain of salt. DM is a dangerous, violent personality so I wouldn't be surprised if the worst happened to Shelly.

The police that "went to talk to Shelly" were Sci? How does that even happen? It seems like it would go to whoever was on duty for that. She must really be looking over her shoulder, I would be. They've probably tapped her phone or something. 

I read some stuff that there was a whole arranged marriage for Tom planned by Co$ but it fell apart before he met Katie. I like most of his movies, but he comes off like a huge douche IRL. I can't imagine having to live with him. Co$ sure does a good job of inflating his massive ego even more.

The police that "went to talk to Shelly" were Sci? How does that even happen? It seems like it would go to whoever was on duty for that. 

Yes, that really caught my attention, but not surprising that at least some or many police in that area would be associated with CoS.  My guess is that no one actually talked to Shelly, but someone guarding the gate assured the police that everything was OK. 

Reading about the early years of Jenna Miscavige Hill.  She joined Sea Org as a 7 year old and lived on The Ranch, which was basically a CoS gulag for children -- forced labor, and incredibly long, extremely structured days of hard manual labor followed by various forms of self paced Study Tech in the afternoon, evenings and at night.  She saw her parents (usually her father) only Saturday night and part of Sunday morning.  No parents lived at The Ranch, which had a population of up to 80 kids or more.  She did try to escape with a friend at age 8, but  they were caught before they got very far.  But is says something when 8-year-old children are trying to escape their living situation.

It amazes me that anyone escapes CoS when they started as children, because indoctrination starts early, partly because you are indoctrinated with a special vocabulary and frame of reference that no one on the outside can understand.   

So glad that Katie Holmes escaped with her daughter. 

Man, I remember feeling disappointed at Leah when I first read somewhere that she was in Scientology. I didn't realise that she grew up in it. Good on her for getting out!

I just always hope Shelly is deep underground and in hiding from her husband. 

Edit I realized underground was a poor choice of words, I meant just deep undercover, foreign country hiding. 

The police that "went to talk to Shelly" were Sci? How does that even happen? It seems like it would go to whoever was on duty for that. She must really be looking over her shoulder, I would be. They've probably tapped her phone or something. 

I read some stuff that there was a whole arranged marriage for Tom planned by Co$ but it fell apart before he met Katie. I like most of his movies, but he comes off like a huge douche IRL. I can't imagine having to live with him. Co$ sure does a good job of inflating his massive ego even more.

Nazanin Boniadi was chosen to be Cruise's girlfriend by the higher powers.

vanityfair.com/hollywood/2012/10/katie-holmes-divorce-scientology

I almost find Scientology more fascinating than fundiedom, just because so many people have the resources to leave and don't. Boniadi's story is so odd and sad. 

I am am always disappointed when I find out a celebrity I like is one of them. They are sick.

How is this Scientology stuff legal? Work camps for kids? Kids signing contracts? Parents being separated from their kids? :huh:

How is this Scientology stuff legal? Work camps for kids? Kids signing contracts? Parents being separated from their kids? :huh:

Look up Operation Snow White and it will all make sense why LE and government agencies tend to leave Scientology alone.

The optimistic part of me thinks (hopes?) that nowadays since there are so many prominent voices speaking out against it, that Scientology will eventually fade away. The legality of it is so fishy- I think what we know is just the tip of the iceberg. 

Anyone scared for Leah? I hope she doesn't turn up missing or dead. Explains a lot why Nicole Kidman doesn't see her kids or why Suri doesn't see Tom. Sad

They stole records fo Bob Jones University? As subterfuge? I don't know why, but I find that tidbit hilarious. The rest of the Operation Snow White stuff is just :pb_eek:.

The way I understood it, is that the police (detective?) who investigated the missing person report on Shelly has also turned up as a speaker at scientology functions. That doesn't necessarily mean the officer is a member. Scientology is good at cultivating people in positions like this. I'm sure they pay good money for him to show up and speak. I think he probably did speak to Shelly in person, but she's so heavily indoctrinated she wouldn't want to leave. She thinks she is doing very, very important work for scientology - the title "prison of belief" is so true. People are imprisoned by their own beliefs.

"Freedom of Religion"  and the fact that Scientology got tax exempt status because the IRS got tired of constant litigation from Scientology.

I'm just starting to read these articles, and good grief. I'm glad she's willing to speak so freely.

I dislike Remini, she irks the hell out of me. But, I think she's got some guts, coming out against Scientology like this. I read an excerpt about Scientology on a website not that long ago and a friend is loaning me a book to read, that I believe is where that excerpt is taken from. I find all religion pointless and weird but Scientology ranks pretty much at the top for me, of batshit crazy insanity. I hope Leah's high visibility in Hollywood keeps her safe from the whackadoos. I know they're doing all they can to discount what she's saying, by calling her unstable and whatnot, but I think they're pretty scared of the damage she can inflict on them. The only way I see more damage inflicted is if Travolta or Cruise comes out against Scientology. Then it's all over.

As longtime critic (and ex-$cn) Arnie Lerma says, "It's worse than you think." 19 years after I started looking into $cn, I'm still finding that to be true. No matter what you think, it's worse.

It's almost the 20th anniversary of the death of Lisa McPherson:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_McPherson

They haven't gotten better: http://tonyortega.org/2015/02/02/the-shocking-case-of-scientology-mistreatment-of-the-mentally-ill-you-havent-heard/

I don't understand how people can fall for scientology. I think all religions are made up at one point or another, but this particular one was made up by a science fiction writer! Not to mention the fact that it was "discovered" fairly recently, as far as religions go. I know it's more complicated than that for the people who believe in it, but I just...don't get it. :confusion-scratchheadblue:

The more and more I read about the CoS, the less it sounds like a religion. It sounds like the freaking mafia. That shit is scary. Just reading the second link that @KZK posted made me feel like I had to come up for air. :scared-whoa:

If people feel like they are useless or worthless or they want a bigger meaning out of life, they will find something to fill that void. Whether it be vices or religion or serial dating or anything. These cults prey on those natural dark thoughts in the back of nearly everyone's heads to draw in new members with the tantalizing notion that they can help them feel better and make more meaning out of their life.

I don't mean to minimize Scientology. I think it's nasty and horrific. I am scared for the people who may be lost in the religion, and I feel terribly for the people who truly believe that Scientology will help them. But I think it is amazing how it is still going. It may be hard for some of us to see the pull of it, but to me that makes it scarier. Because it is pulling in people. It's still pulling in people. And yes, it was started by a sci fi writer fairly recently and Hollywood stars are one of their biggest sellers and the basis of the cult is giving more money to the cult. To me, that's amazing. Terrifying, absolutely, but amazing that they can have a huge following when to us we just scratch our heads and think "how can people believe this utter nonsense?"

But I don't consider the people in this cult, or any cult, to be stupid, unintelligent, or ignorant. Just like anything being sold in the world, they know their market, and their advertisement is geared toward a specific person and it draws them in so wholeheartedly that they give up more than we can even know.

I don't understand how people can fall for scientology. I think all religions are made up at one point or another, but this particular one was made up by a science fiction writer! Not to mention the fact that it was "discovered" fairly recently, as far as religions go. I know it's more complicated than that for the people who believe in it, but I just...don't get it. :confusion-scratchheadblue:

There was also this case, where a woman who was a scientology member was murdered by her son. I remember this was featured on that ID show Deadly Devotion about cults leading to one's death. Her son had schizophrenia, and because he was being raised in the cult, he couldn't get the treatment he really needed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Elli_Perkins

Archived