IGNORED

Leah Remini comes out against Scientology

urban teacher

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This started a few years ago when she asked someone in the org about good friend Shelly Miscavage* (Shelly is the wife of Sci leader David Miscavage). Leah hadn't been in contact with Shelly for a while and wondered if she was unwell. Leah was told that she didn't need to know anything about Shelly. That started an avalanche of questions in her mind and it resulted in Leah filing a missing persons report with the LAPD in 2014. The LAPD then stated that they had been in contact by phone with Shelly and confirmed that she was alive and well. David's story was that Shelly was in retreat working on important Sci stuff and couldn't be bothered with outside things. No one outside (or inside, for that matter) Sci has seen Shelly for years. A lot of people (myself included) think she's dead by David's hand or his orders. Leah officially left and is considered a suppressive person and is being trashed by the org. I think that's pretty much it in a nutshell. Others will no doubt correct/clarify.

*This might have happened at Tom Cruise's wedding to Katie Holmes, I can't say for sure).

Yep, it started at Tom Cruise's wedding to Katie. As I recall, David was the best man, and Leah found it odd that Shelly didn't attend and asked about her whereabouts. She was told she didn't have the rank to ask. FWIW, I don't think David had Shelly killed, but I do think he has her effectively captive somewhere within the bowels of the organization.

Leah is sort of an unusual Hollywood case in that her mother actually raised her in Scientology. The whole family rallied behind her and left to avoid being fragmented by the "suppressive person" nonsense. Her TLC show is actually pretty hilarious. She's spunky and I like her a lot. 

I am looking forward to reading Leah's book but I am concerned for her - even her safety - when it comes out.  CoS enforcers seem scary and determined.

withaj, thanks so much for the clarification. I hadn't realized that her family had left with her. Good for them!

withaj, thanks so much for the clarification. I hadn't realized that her family had left with her. Good for them!

Yep! Mother, stepfather, sister, brother-in-law, husband, daughter. Daughter is young and wasn't really involved yet, but I think that probably had a lot to do with why she left when she did. 

I have this image in my head:

Scientology: You can't leave! If you leave, then you don't get to speak to your family ever again! MWHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Leah: That would be the family walking out the door and helping me carry my boxes?

Scientology: Huh? Wait a minute! That's not how this is supposed to work!

Yep! Mother, stepfather, sister, brother-in-law, husband, daughter. Daughter is young and wasn't really involved yet, but I think that probably had a lot to do with why she left when she did. 

Isn't the brother-in-law's family still involved with Scientology so now he's cut off from them? Or did I dream that while groggily watching her show one night?  

I think her rather high profile in the entertainment business has helped her leave. They can't follow her 24/7 if she's got a camera crew on her. 

Miscavige is nuts. As bad or worse than Trump. Shelley is locked in a room somewhere in Hemet and until something happens to David she won't be released. 

I hope she finds happiness and peace without the nuts bothering her. 

Isn't the brother-in-law's family still involved with Scientology so now he's cut off from them? Or did I dream that while groggily watching her show one night?  

Now that you mention it, that does sound right. I think I remember the clip where they were all sitting around talking about it.

I think her rather high profile in the entertainment business has helped her leave. They can't follow her 24/7 if she's got a camera crew on her. 

Miscavige is nuts. As bad or worse than Trump. Shelley is locked in a room somewhere in Hemet and until something happens to David she won't be released. 

I hope she finds happiness and peace without the nuts bothering her. 

or Crestline/Lake Arrowhead.  Her whereabouts are one of the most intriguing mysteries in Scientology.  I don't really understand why Miscavige doesn't just drag her out to show her off then throw her back in her cage as they have sort of done with folks before. It makes me think something really awful has happened - she has had a stroke or bad medical or psychiatric illness that has gone untreated and they can't show her. So awful. 

This religion really scares me. I watched the HBO documentary about a couple months ago and was freaked out. There is a woman missing. I'm sick about this. 

They talk about it on her show.  She had initially felt quite guilty for causing her whole family to be cut off from Scientology, and there was a session with all of them and a counselor, and they basically said, "Are you kidding?  We're grateful that you got us to leave!"

Wow. I knew those people were strange but I didn't know how bad it was.

I just thought that they were all really strange like Tom Cruise! I didn't realize how dangerous and scary it can be! 

"Going Clear" is a great documentary. When it came out, several related articles came out as well, with tons of detail about the disappearance of Shelly Miscavage and lots of other crazy stuff. Here are just a couple:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/inside-scientology-20110208

http://www.businessinsider.com/hbo-lawyers-for-scientology-doc-2014-11?op=1

Leah's a brave woman for putting herself publicly at odds with this bunch.

She knows more about Sci than the average Hollywood kool-aid drinker. She was raised in basically work houses when her mom was a single mom struggling. At least that was the impression I got from her story.

I listens to a podcast called Surviving Scientology and one of the guys interviewed who left only in the past few years believed she was still alive as mail in her name was forwarded to her at the Spiritual Technology Center.

Just checked out Beyond Belief by Jenna Miscavage Hill (David Miscavage's niece).  She signed her billion year Sea Org contract when she was six years old, and her parents worked full time for Scientology.  Her parents' typical workday was from 9 am until 11:30 at night, 7 days a week.  The dad was a software programmer and the mom was in charge of outfitting the ship that would be the next sea base.   Jenna's mother later said that going back to Scientology was the worst mistake she'd ever made. 

I hope all goes well for Leah Remini, in both the near and long term.  These Scientology people have very, very long memories and don't seem to ever give up on stalking escapees from the cult.  

I also hope that, someday, we get to hear Shelly Miscavige's story, from Shelly herself.

My aunt and uncle briefly investigated Scientology when the original Dianetics book came out.  They bailed out quickly when they realized just how weird it was. 

Edited to add that I came across a Web site for ex-Scientology kids founded by Jenna M. Hill and two others who were raised in scientology. 

exscientologykids.com/

Tony Ortega on a suit filed in Nevada against Narconon (Scientology's faux substance abuse entity): 

tonyortega.org/2014/02/02/scientologys-drug-rehab-facility-in-nevada-sued-over-the-usual-litany-of-deceptions

"Going Clear" is a great documentary. When it came out, several related articles came out as well, with tons of detail about the disappearance of Shelly Miscavage and lots of other crazy stuff. Here are just a couple:

Going Clear the documentary is actually based on a book by the same name. If you are really interested, google Tony Ortega and make some coffee.

I went to Tony Ortega's website and read a little bit. There was an article about the Scientology Super Power building and a commentor said something that reminded me of the fundies we snark on: "The trick is to know its the book, not you. That self doubt, feeling bad, feeling as if you are missing something everyone else is getting is how people are trapped. It makes people into followers." 

Here's a bit more on Leah Remini and Knowledge Reports, from Tony Ortega's  Underground Bunker Website: 

THE LEAH REMINI FILES: AN EXCLUSIVE LOOK AT THE ‘KRs’ THAT INFORM HER MEMOIR

tonyortega.org/2015/10/27/the-leah-remini-files-an-exclusive-look-at-the-krs-that-inform-her-memoir

These knowledge reports make you realize that these people are CONSTANTLY informing on each other.  

I listens to a podcast called Surviving Scientology and one of the guys interviewed who left only in the past few years believed she was still alive as mail in her name was forwarded to her at the Spiritual Technology Center.

That seems...like thin evidence.

I'd like to believe they wouldn't be malicious / dumb / evil enough to kill a person, but, well, I doubt it is the first time...

Going Clear the documentary is actually based on a book by the same name. If you are really interested, google Tony Ortega and make some coffee.

Thanks for that. I've read some of Marty Rathbun's site markrathbun.wordpress.com but I find his writing kind of pedantic. Ortega is a much better writer.

Archived