IGNORED

RC Sproul Jr. Caught in Ashley Madison Hack!

DomWackTroll

Oh, dear… The Facebook thread is getting ugly.

"God decreed and foreordained it before the foundation of the world (Westminster Confession - Eternal Decrees). It was your theological God on paper that signed you up on Ashley Madison in eternity past. God overthrew your non-existent freewill and made you sign up, right? Just like God made you have wild keg parties in college and serve up alcohol to minors, right?... There are PLENTY MORE SECRET SINS. Stop LYING TO THE HOLY GHOST. Repent of this DEFORMED faith and flee from Rome. – r"

facebook.com/rcsprouljr/posts/866848513396678?comment_id=867705753310954&offset=0&total_comments=61&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R0%22%7D

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry, but RC, Dude, it is better to marry than to burn, so maybe, since the wife has passed on, you should consider remarrying instead of prowling the internet.

Wonder what places he visited (and maybe joined) that haven't been hacked...

Noooooooooooo! I wouldn't wish to inflict such a fate on the fundiest fundie woman.

He is (or was) an advocate of wife-spanking, IIRC. He insisted on junky food, from what I remember hearing, when his wife wanted to try to cook healthier meals. There was a lot more that I read, around the time she died, but I don't remember any of it anymore. It was enough to make me feel very sorry for her, though.

And now Stacy McDonald weighs in on Ashley Madison with a post on her long-neglected blog (yoursacredcalling.com/blog/2015/09/ashley-madison-scandal/):

And those are just the people in her husband's church!

But seriously, I'm with Thoughtful. I know a whole lot of people who aren't those things she listed (well, some of them are LGBT), who are watching.

Good grief these people have such fucked-up mentalities when it comes to relationships and sexuality! RC was widowed when? 2011? How on earth could anyone fault a widow/er who (after what any reasonable person would consider a "decent period of mourning") said "I'm lonely. I miss physical affection. I want to be in another relationship, and I'm going to take appropriate steps to try to make that happen."

Instead, we're given a ringside seat to "mustn't mustn't mustn't", and sneaking, and confessing, and repenting and praying, and weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth and rending of garments. Lather, rinse, repeat. Oy, the DRAMA!!! These people are the 6th graders of organized religion.

(Yes, I know I'm stating the ridiculously obvious...but I had to get it out of my system.)

Wait, wait, wait, wait.

Except he went to a cheating site, looking to have an affair with a married woman!

He wasn't just looking for relationship. He was looking to commit adultery. No wonder he felt the need for damage control.

I don't think fundies would fault him for going to an online dating site like eHarmony (there are churchy sites as well, though I don't remember what they are).

Well, this is really going to put a kink in the Ligonier conference he was supposed to be giving in the next few weeks.

Really? I admit, I have deleted all the Ligonier emails since we left our old "church" so I didn't know this. Huh.

And I'm not going to go and look for the details, because, well, I've been to one LIgonier conference too many. Our former "church" actually helped to sponsor one in our area. Blech.

But, see-- you found out about those hook-ups. RC Jr. probably figured that if he used AM, whatever married partners he had would never tell a soul, lest they too be revealed. And then he could proudly post photos on social media of when he kissed-- for the very first time!-- his second bride at the altar.

Oh. This makes sense. Now I understand why he might have chosen AM over a dating site.

Sheesh, I am still so naive.

Ugh... First the Bradrick scandal came out the same day as the Duggar scandal, and now Spanky's scandal comes out the same day as this dude's. I tell ya, the Reformed have all the luck!

Bradrick scandal? I missed that one. I looked through all the thread titles on the main page, or thought I did. Is there a thread about this?

Really? I admit, I have deleted all the Ligonier emails since we left our old "church" so I didn't know this. Huh.

And I'm not going to go and look for the details, because, well, I've been to one LIgonier conference too many. Our former "church" actually helped to sponsor one in our area. Blech.

Yeah. We visit Sproul Sr's church frequently, and it was in the bulletin two weeks ago. It was supposed to be about loving God with a child's heart.

ETA: it isn't up on the website anymore so I'm assuming it's been cancelled as the complementary conference for women is still being promoted.

Oh, dear… The Facebook thread is getting ugly.

"God decreed and foreordained it before the foundation of the world (Westminster Confession - Eternal Decrees). It was your theological God on paper that signed you up on Ashley Madison in eternity past. God overthrew your non-existent freewill and made you sign up, right? Just like God made you have wild keg parties in college and serve up alcohol to minors, right?... There are PLENTY MORE SECRET SINS. Stop LYING TO THE HOLY GHOST. Repent of this DEFORMED faith and flee from Rome. – r"

facebook.com/rcsprouljr/posts/866848513396678?comment_id=867705753310954&offset=0&total_comments=61&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R0%22%7D

YES!! This is my all-time favorite brand of drama! I love watching these pompous assholes fight.

YES!! This is my all-time favorite brand of drama! I love watching these pompous assholes fight.

That is why I follow two different dominionist reconstructionist groups on line. They spend so much time picking the fly shit out of the pepper and fighting over nothing that it comforts me that they will never really take any real traction in the USA. (They fight about voting, they say that true members can't actually take an oath of office to take an office, even if elected, etc etc etr...).

Sadly, it appears that Spanky deleted it, though he has left other stuff, like "I always knew you were scum," for all to see. I guess this one was a little too specific.

Sadly, it appears that Spanky deleted it, though he has left other stuff, like "I always knew you were scum," for all to see. I guess this one was a little too specific.

Re: bolded. Wonder if it was an erstwhile parishioner from Spankyʻs "church" back in the day -- you know, the one where he & his sidekicks were defrocked for tax fraud & abuse of church members (hushmoney.org/RC_Sproul_Jr-defrocking-docs.htm). Sometime after these events Spanky moved to FL to work for Daddy & Mommy. He's a piece of work, all right.

BIG caveat on that website though: While its documentation of the defrocking stuff seems to be accurate, it's run by Peter Kershaw who is widely believed to be odious "T. W. Eston" at Jen's Gems.

That is why I follow two different dominionist reconstructionist groups on line. They spend so much time picking the fly shit out of the pepper and fighting over nothing that it comforts me that they will never really take any real traction in the USA. (They fight about voting, they say that true members can't actually take an oath of office to take an office, even if elected, etc etc etr...).

Huh. I read this completely differently. It sounds to me like a calvinist-basher, mocking the doctrine that the YRR hold so dear. When it's spelled out like this it always looks so ridiculous. God predestines and fore-ordains everything, therefore, god decreed that RCSJr would visit that website and leave an old email, and god decreed that he would be a lush. It really incites the nonCalvin crowd, because it's sick. Hyper-calvinists use this doctrine to explain away abuse as fore-ordained and for the good of the abused, and this makes god out to be a manipulative monster.

The "repent of this deformed faith and flee from Rome" is a telling detail. Calvin-bashers claim the neoCalvin crowd are as ritualistic (read empty of meaning and Spirit) in their practice as the Roman Catholic Church (apologies if this insults RCCs who read/post here). So "flee from Rome" means flee the YRR circles, away from the "doctrines of grace" to what grace really means.

I'm still learning the difference between "doctrines of grace" and "grace" and I get easily confused by a multitude of words, so if someone else cares to explain, and if this is the right venue (which it might not be, though I just posted this for educational purposes, for the sake of those who -- blessedly!!! -- don't even know that YRR means "Young, Restless, Reformed" and includes people like John Piper, Mark Dever, Doug Wilson -- and maybe haven't even heard of these men, being incredibly lucky people), well, go ahead.

There's lots more sickness in the YRR doctrine RCSJr holds and teaches, but I think I'll stop for now.

Re: bolded. Wonder if it was an erstwhile parishioner from Spankyʻs "church" back in the day -- you know, the one where he & his sidekicks were defrocked for tax fraud & abuse of church members (hushmoney.org/RC_Sproul_Jr-defrocking-docs.htm). Sometime after these events Spanky moved to FL to work for Daddy & Mommy. He's a piece of work, all right.

BIG caveat on that website though: While its documentation of the defrocking stuff seems to be accurate, it's run by Peter Kershaw who is widely believed to be odious "T. W. Eston" at Jen's Gems.

I kind of doubt it because of the guy's theology but, like you, I did get the feeling that these two know each other personally. I went to the other guy's FB page and he's heavily involved in anti-abortion protesting, so maybe they know each other from that.

Wow. I remember their story as being one of those held up for the "See! Courtship works! It's the best way to go!" crowd. We used to see the Bradrick family, all matching dresses for the girls, at homeschool conventions. It always made me feel inferior, that we bought hand-me-downs from thrift stores -- fabric is expensive! -- and I didn't have time or inclination, or skill, really, as I hated sewing, to sew matching outfits for our girls. One of my girls told me recently, though, that the "matching outfit" families always creeped her out, so it's just as well.

How long will these people continue to insist that nothing's wrong? (got an emoticon of an ostrich with its head in the sand?) :borg:

(Spoken like a true ex-addict, about the other addicts. The most vociferous anti-smoking people I knew were the ex-smokers.)

p.s. thanks for the link. :brain-bleach:

Huh. I read this completely differently. It sounds to me like a calvinist-basher, mocking the doctrine that the YRR hold so dear. When it's spelled out like this it always looks so ridiculous. God predestines and fore-ordains everything, therefore, god decreed that RCSJr would visit that website and leave an old email, and god decreed that he would be a lush. It really incites the nonCalvin crowd, because it's sick. Hyper-calvinists use this doctrine to explain away abuse as fore-ordained and for the good of the abused, and this makes god out to be a manipulative monster.

The "repent of this deformed faith and flee from Rome" is a telling detail. Calvin-bashers claim the neoCalvin crowd are as ritualistic (read empty of meaning and Spirit) in their practice as the Roman Catholic Church (apologies if this insults RCCs who read/post here). So "flee from Rome" means flee the YRR circles, away from the "doctrines of grace" to what grace really means.

I'm still learning the difference between "doctrines of grace" and "grace" and I get easily confused by a multitude of words, so if someone else cares to explain, and if this is the right venue (which it might not be, though I just posted this for educational purposes, for the sake of those who -- blessedly!!! -- don't even know that YRR means "Young, Restless, Reformed" and includes people like John Piper, Mark Dever, Doug Wilson -- and maybe haven't even heard of these men, being incredibly lucky people), well, go ahead.

There's lots more sickness in the YRR doctrine RCSJr holds and teaches, but I think I'll stop for now.

Responding to a thread about predestination and election was actually what brought me out of lurkdom! My old IFB church was half Calvinist and half Arminian; Calvinism is ultimately what became the chink in my christian armor. Well, that a lot of other things, but the idea that God created people for the sole purpose of going to hell was, and is, unthinkable to me. I've studied this subject more than any other one under the Christian umbrella and I still find it the worst thing ever. If you go to my posts, almost all of my very firsts ones are on this topic- trying to explain Calvinism v. Arminianism- in case you're interested and what a refresher!

And now Stacy McDonald weighs in on Ashley Madison with a post on her long-neglected blog (yoursacredcalling.com/blog/2015/09/ashley-madison-scandal/):

@Stacy McDonald:

Why, bless your heart.

Omg. I love Ashley Madison. Except for all the non hypocrites who are now dealing with potential public fallout

(In case you think I am full of sadness for the adulterers, I feel bad for the partners of the cheaters)

My friends now husband (didn't know him then) signed up as he was curious, never paid anything or sent any messages and only logged in once (she's seen his account) and he is worried it will come out.

So not just cheaters joined. Curious people did too. Hell I might have if I was bored one night duty when i was single to see if I could catch any friends husbands out lol.

My friends now husband (didn't know him then) signed up as he was curious, never paid anything or sent any messages and only logged in once (she's seen his account) and he is worried it will come out.

So not just cheaters joined. Curious people did too. Hell I might have if I was bored one night duty when i was single to see if I could catch any friends husbands out lol.

I was curious this week, so I went over there myself. The main page was surprisingly clear about its purpose ("Life is Short, Have an affair!") And on a second open-to-the public page, although a pop-up box invited me to register, I could clearly see a range of member profiles, which satisfied my curiosity about who was online and what they were there for. I think someone else in this thread has described a similar experience.

At an ethical level, I still think the hack was wrong. But my God, there are some interesting excuses coming out to explain why everyone was on there.

Your friend's husband was at one time (before she met him) curious enough to not just to look, but to sign up to a website which clearly was set up to facilitate adulterous affairs. He had already seen sample profiles and was still curious for more.

If I were your friend, my prime concern would not be so much about the detail of what my husband got up to when her was young, free and single, but rather about whether I feel this guy is trustworthy and decent now. My bullshitometer would be finely tuned and I would want to hold his current words and actions under a very bright spotlight. I might also want an STD test because life is short, and disease can make it shorter and less comfortable.

There were so many fake accounts, most people who didn't have a paid account isn't that concerning. I mean I'm pretty sure Tony Blair didn't sign up. I don't understand joining if you were curious. Sorry, I'm sure people did that, but I don't get it. I wonder about their curiosity.

And yes, I think the hack was wrong. I'm not a fan of hacking in general.

Archived