IGNORED

Joshley Madison Part 6 - Sin, Confess, Repeat

Boogalou

about Jill using "extended family" to refer to her brother:

as not a fundie expert, I wonder if that choice of words might have to do with the fact that on her wedding day her headship changed from JBoob to Derrick? Like, now she is part of his family and not the Duggar's anymore? Am I approaching this too logically? Anyone who grew up fundie and would know if you are female if after marriage you consider only your husband's family your immediate family?

I see it the same way you do. I think that when Jill got married, and especially after she had Izzy, the Dullards became a family and therefore demotes JB and clan (in her mind) to the status of "extended family"... sounds harsh but I guess it makes sense to her... :think:

Personally, I call my aunts and uncles and cousins etc. "extended family"... I classify myself, my son and my hubs and MY mom and dad as "my family"..

• Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to TSOTDRT, this is one of those situations in which the conversation should now turn to nail polish, yes?

My own pedicure is a month old. I did just buy a new lip stain from Clinique, though, with the dubious name of Chunkiest Chili. I think the marketing team must have been hung over.

Pretty color though.

I think the worst Clinique naming flaw was when they named the large lip crayons "chubby sticks." Just sounds awkwardly, vaguely sexual.

I'm not a pedicure fan, but I should go get a manicure this week. Something autumny.

While in spirit I vote an absolute YES! (hey, it's our toes, we should make them pretty for our own selves), in reality, I am lazy enough to vote no. But when you really need a good pedicure for mental health, who cares what time of year it is, you know?

A local beauty school does pedis. Would that be a safe place to go? I admit, I tend to do my own because of scare stories about foot and nail fungus. But it certainly would be relaxing to go all the way.

Or, if you're like me, you need to get one to keep your heels from looking like something out a work of Tolkien. :? No matter what I do, what I moisturize with, it always happens again.

I have a really weird solution. Try paleo or primal eating. All my rough spots smoothed out: elbows, knees, heels. As long as I don't cheat too often, I enjoy amazing health benefits.

Well, Jessa is now married and a soon-to-be mom. Her husband is her headship and perhaps it's time for him to start interjecting some ideas, beliefs, values and a plan. He has an AA degree... here's to hoping that he's hitting the pavement in search of a job[ :hand: ], and that the circumference for that job search is large, wide and leading away from Duggarville.

Ben is now the Ben/Jessa Seewald Family household leader. He needs to start leading.

Derick moved his family and put some distance between his family and JB/JB's authority. It's time that Ben does the same.

My pedicure wore off and so I took the rest off with polish remover.

Cooler days are upon us, and I may be wearing socks from here on out, instead of flip-flops.

Is it worth applying bright polish once more, if it's just going to be under socks all the time?

I had a gel pedi done a month ago and it's still intact on all my nails but the baby toes.

My mani is killin' it tho. ;)

I'm really having a tough time deciding if I can get one more white pedicure, or if it's time to switch to something dark. May just go blue. I live in the south, so we have quite a bit of open toe weather left

I think the worst Clinique naming flaw was when they named the large lip crayons "chubby sticks." Just sounds awkwardly, vaguely sexual.

I'm not a pedicure fan, but I should go get a manicure this week. Something autumny.

Totally a euphamism.

Well, Jessa is now married and a soon-to-be mom. Her husband is her headship and perhaps it's time for him to start interjecting some ideas, beliefs, values and a plan. He has an AA degree... here's to hoping that he's hitting the pavement in search of a job[ :hand: ], and that the circumference for that job search is large, wide and leading away from Duggarville.

Ben is now the Ben/Jessa Seewald Family household leader. He needs to start leading.

Derick moved his family and put some distance between his family and JB/JB's authority. It's time that Ben does the same.

I was thinking about this the other day - now that the gravy train has grinded to a halt, we might see the married kids gravitating towards in-laws.

Ben the household leader and provider... I envision so many parallels to Jon and Kate Gosselin.

This pedicure talk is getting to be almost as annoying as the topic it was meant to replace! :angry-banghead:

You're just saying that because you don't know how liberating a pedicure actually is..

Totally facetious btw OK? I was really just tired of reading pages of the same back and forth crap, so I joined in the OT convo.

Eventually. someone will say something interesting and we'll ALLLLL be ok again.

I was thinking about this the other day - now that the gravy train has grinded to a halt, we might see the married kids gravitating towards in-laws.

Ben the household leader and provider... I envision so many parallels to Jon and Kate Gosselin.

Bin doesn't strike me as the "leading" type.

Yep, it's time for the real leave and cleave by both husbands. While both Jill and Derick mentioned plans for doing missionary work I do find the timing if his leaving Walmart and going on mission trips interesting. Not necessarily Joshgate 1.0 but maybe Derick was figuring out for a while that maybe it was better to get his family away.

Ben is pretty young and it's good he got the AA degree. It can still serve as a springboard to something else, be it a job or continuing his education. I suspect that between him and Derick, he was the one hoping to ride the Duggar coattails to fame. Now he will have to sort out how to forge his life without it. How he does remains to be seen.

You're just saying that because you don't know how liberating a pedicure actually is..

Totally facetious btw OK? I was really just tired of reading pages of the same back and forth crap, so I joined in the OT convo.

Eventually. someone will say something interesting and we'll ALLLLL be ok again.

Yeah. I'm in that stage of depression where it's daunting to contemplate doing much more than clicking on things. Oh, yeah, there's lots more productive stuff surrounding me, clamoring to be dealt with. But all I'm doing (and it's guilt-inducing, and probably non-productive, though I told one of the teens that yesterdays two or three hours spent on FJ felt like therapy) is clicking on things, and occasionally commenting.

I should get therapy. Hah. Like that's going to happen.

But we managed to stretch the budget enough to cover therapy for one person who seemed to be the most traumatized by our former lifestyle, so that's something, I guess.

I have just enough clinical psych training to be dangerous. Sigh.

Edited to put some personal stuff behind a spoiler tag. I could have sworn there was a "member only" feature, but did that go away?

Hey Themiscyran, my department (law library) is putting together a presentation on legal resources for women victims of domestic abuse. What kind of information did you find helpful in your case?

That's awesome! Umm, the big thing I remember was just putting some power back into my hands. He had me pretty brainwashed. Learning about restraining orders and legal protective measures was helpful, even though I didn't end up needing them. It was so nice to know. Learning about property law and my rights was really helpful, knowing what was considered joint property was important because I was a student and he had the job; it was good to know I wouldn't be destitute. We didn't have kids, but I'm sure there are a realm of things there that women would like to know.

And LA also had pointers for things I could do myself to cut down on legal costs--like they were able to help me do legwork on a lot of the paperwork myself so I didn't have to pay so much to a lawyer. I would have felt pretty intimidated doing that on my own. I suspect a lot of women would be like I was--it's not just the physical abuse, it's all the craazy-making and gaslighting and nagging at your self-esteem, too. It makes you feel like you can't do anything, LA really gave me a lot of confidence in myself again.

Also, no matter what time of year it is, I almost always stick with my absolute favorite color ever: OPI's London Park After Dark. It just works for me better than any other color.

That's also my favorite color, and my pedicure is needing to be replaced, so I have an excuse to paint my toes that color after they were painted a metallic blue that ironically, matches my car when I'm in the sun. I tend to have my toenails painted even if I'm wearing socks but where I live, I can wear sandals and flip flops casually until mid-October.

This pedicure talk is getting to be almost as annoying as the topic it was meant to replace! :angry-banghead:

If it keeps people from constantly getting into arguments in these threads then I'm all for it. Seriously, half the time people are saying the exact same thing and just don't take the time to realize it!

You could always considering starting a Pet War next time. It was used to great effect in another thread once (probably about vaccines or something) - basically, just start posting pictures of your favorite pet while saying another type "drools" or something similar. Then sit back and watch the fun. :lol:

And yes, st4rfl33t is correct - the topic will resume sometime soon once people chill out and someone actually says something worth saying.

This is a snark site, built around snarking on the Duggars. We are the same people who have collectively ripped the shit out of everything Anna and her family have ever worn, eaten, lived in, slept on, shopped at, or given birth on.

We are not a hive, and it is great that many of us genuinely care for Anna now, but let's be realistic about our reach. :wink-kitty:

Fundead - your thoughts are motivated by kindness. However, while I feel badly for Anna and for anyone trapped in a cult, I have few precious resources and most of those I do have, go to help people who are close to me or live right here in my community. If Anna wants out, she'll have to reach out to her own family members (who stand by ready to help) and will also have to reach deep within herself for the strength and courage to find her own solutions. She has options, the most valuable of which are her own siblings. If she does reach a point where she's sick and tired of the Duggars, her own parents, and her crap live under Gothardism, she can reach out and call one of her siblings and ask for help. In that respect, she's luckier than many in similar situations.

I love nail polish but somehow I always end up peeling it off :cry: I also pick at my nails, which sucks because they're always so short. I want long nails!! :cry:

I love nail polish but somehow I always end up peeling it off :cry: I also pick at my nails, which sucks because they're always so short. I want long nails!! :cry:

Same! Though I figure picking nail polish is better than picking my nails? I just rarely wear nail polish.

We're getting close to 40 pages -- does that mean we can start offering up titles for the next thread?

I'd like to suggest "Joshley Madison: Praying the STRAY Away."

Same! Though I figure picking nail polish is better than picking my nails? I just rarely wear nail polish.

I think it's better too, although it might thin your nails out over time?

Right now I'm using clear nail strengthener to help my nails grow out. I figure peeling off the clear stuff will keep me away from my nail tips. Plus, it won't look so patchy.

Also, no matter what time of year it is, I almost always stick with my absolute favorite color ever: OPI's London Park After Dark. It just works for me better than any other color.

I googled this and all the images I see say "Lincoln Park After Dark."

Is that what you meant or is London Park a different color?

The Lincoln one seems to be a really dark purple that I'm liking a lot -- and I'm not a polish person at all -- it's probably been 20 years since I've used nail polish for anything more than to stop a metal gate from rusting :lol:

But I'm experiencing some transitions in my life right now and I might just get a pedicure sometime in the next couple of months, as a therapy of sorts. I don't wear open toes shoes even in the summer (Crocs for me) so it's not really for public consumption, just for me to see as I pad around the house...

Archived