IGNORED

Michael Bates Brandon Keilen wedding

19 cats and counting

Jinger does look very thin, and Michelle looks like she's lost weight, too. I still haven't seen a great picture of the dress, but Michael looked lovely. If she would let me, I'd chop a few inches off her hair - all the girls in these families look very alike when it comes to hair. I know they value their long hair (as do their headships, obviously) and it's nice to see them change up the colour, but it would be refreshing to see someone take up the length a little. Sometimes it can suit someone better if its not quite as long.

And, say what you will about Jill ®, she managed, no doubt with her daughters' help, to present her family beautifully. The girls looked lovely and the boys looked handsome in their suits. For some reason I'm a little surprised but I bet they were one of the best turned out families in attendance. Good for her. She must have been in her element though around all that fundie royalty.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She has gotten that sort of lollypop/bobblehead look, where her body is so small, her head looks over sized because she is so thin :( I really hope she is alright, as it's unlikely she can find any real help living with her parents. She would be lucky if they even noticed.

Oops, edited to actually add text, she looks very thin, :-( almost worrisomly so.

Some thoughts:

The married couple look so YOUNG! Are you sure they're over 20?

Anna Keller's wedding dress, while plain, was well made and it fit her well. It suited her personality, too. No snark from me on that one. Not MY choice, but it suited her.

Yes, indeedy. Jinger looks very, very thin. Her makeup doesn't help.

Jill Rodrigues is a fundy social climber wanna-be. Of course her kids are going to be dressed to the nines. I notice she went with a black and white theme. WHERE in the RV do they keep all these clothes, or do they only have one "good" outfit each?

Wedding receptions are a REGIONAL thing. In the Mid-Atlantic region, it is PERFECTLY FINE to have a wedding reception in a church hall, school gym, auditorium, fire hall, or Elks/Moose/Grange etc. It's where it's done. Furthermore, it can be a dance with band or DJ, a sit down meal, or your basic cake/punch/nuts/ mints reception. People also bring gifts to the reception, and sometimes the bride and groom are expected to open them right then and there!

I'm in northern NJ. Weddings r usually done how the bride & groom want. I've been to huge weddings (my cousin's) & I've been to much smaller weddings. I prefer the much smaller ones.

Anyone notice who's in the background in this picture?

tumblr_nt5bl562Nb1u0tuf6o1_1280.jpg

Definitely 'dem some Dauers there, I can tell that's Cooper and his bushy eyebrows even from the back.

I definitely like the beige bridesmaids dresses way better than the pink ones, especially at that long length they look super dowdy. Now Erin looks AWESOME. Fab fab makeup, she should sit Jill Rodriguez down, burn her green eyeliner, and give her some pointers.

Like others, I'm very disappointed in Michaela's dress, especially after seeing the preview images from next week's BUB of her trying on dresses that are WAY better. Look at how lovely she looks here, why didn't she buy THIS dress!

I'm often really bad with faces, but I thought the woman facing the camera in the background looked kinda like Sara Absher (Christopher Maxwell's ex). But then I checked her instagram and it looks like she had her baby yesterday so I'm pretty sure she wasn't at the Keilen wedding... I better go find her thread...

Anyone notice who's in the background in this picture?

tumblr_nt5bl562Nb1u0tuf6o1_1280.jpg

Definitely 'dem some Dauers there, I can tell that's Cooper and his bushy eyebrows even from the back.

I definitely like the beige bridesmaids dresses way better than the pink ones, especially at that long length they look super dowdy. Now Erin looks AWESOME. Fab fab makeup, she should sit Jill Rodriguez down, burn her green eyeliner, and give her some pointers.

Like others, I'm very disappointed in Michaela's dress, especially after seeing the preview images from next week's BUB of her trying on dresses that are WAY better. Look at how lovely she looks here, why didn't she buy THIS dress!

to defend her: maybe because she didn't like it on herself. I've tried wedding dresses that were really pretty (a bit like Jessa Duggars dress) and I looked beautiful in them, but they weren't 'me'. I felt like I was playing in 'The Princess diaries'. I tried on a veil with a tiara and although my mom started to cry because I looked 'like a bride, so beautiful'... I felt like I was part of todlers and tiara's :shifty:

So I'm going to wear a simple strapless dress with a coloured ribbon on it. Because the moment I tried this dress on, my shoulders relaxed and I sighed of relief. This dress 'fits' me, even if there are already people who told me that "a strapless dress is sooooo last season" and "should be all white".

I'm in northern NJ. Weddings r usually done how the bride & groom want. I've been to huge weddings (my cousin's) & I've been to much smaller weddings. I prefer the much smaller ones.

I'm in NJ too but grew up in metro NY. Weddings in my area are typically very expensive affairs (some church some not) and in some cultures, the guests are supposed to pay for it (the wedding gift is supposed to be a cash gift of at least the cost of your plate. Some invitations even go as far as stating how much per plate this wedding will cost. Not growing up this way, I find this to be insane.)

With what some weddings cost in the area, you could buy a brand new Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Lexus, etc. Personally I find that insane, but that's just me. There's a huge keeping up with the Joneses mentality here.

I have a (former) friend who is moving Duggar speed on her new relationship. She's already talking marriage after 6 weeks together. Her bridal party (if she has any friends left and if he does not dump her) will be footing bills of at least $5000 for the honor of standing next to her on her big day. This will include an ugly dress (she can't be upstaged), shoes, hair/nails/makeup, multiple showers, an elaborate bachelorette party including limo ride (or a destination one), and a cash gift to cover the plate.

To be honest, I'd rather see the church wedding with the cake in the church reception hall than something elaborate that the couple is cashing out a 401K to pay for.

I've been imagining Jill, in her element, at the reception.

David, honey, put down that plate of food for a second and help me find Michelle. Kids, do any of you see her? Oh, wait! THERE SHE IS!!! Is my eyeliner smeared? Do I have food in my teeth?

Yoooohoo! Michelle! Michelle!! MICHELLLLLE!!! Wow, that little woman sure can walk fast. I was sure she heard me.

(20 minutes later...)

Michelle! Hi! I finally caught up with you. You probably remember me from Erin's wedding and my You Tube video, "Defending the Duggars." I'm Jill Rodrigues, the mother with 12 children and five in heaven. Only seven more and I'll be tied with you and Kelly! Michelle, I, Jill, and my precious husband have been praying for you and your family during this difficult time. I can imagine how SEVERLY depressed you must be, trying to act like a normal family while grieving the loss of your TV show...is TLC looking for another large family? Nevermind. I just know that, someday, people will stop saying hateful things about you and Jim Bob and that, with time, you'll hurt less over Joshua's sexual perversion and abuse of your daughters--

Hang on, Jessa! I want to get a picture with you here in a minute!

Michelle, someday, you'll return to being a happy, normal, successful family like the Bates. Now, can I get a BIG smile for the camera? Thanks!

I idolize and worship love you, Michelle! You're gonna be in my Facebook profile picture!

Michelle?

Michelle?

Where'd she run off to?

NURRIE! Grab Josiah and let's get your picture with him!

I don't know why, but that Dauer boy gives me a creepy vibe. And why is he always with his mom? Is he an only child?

No, but i believe his siblings are married.

He is always with his mom and always around the duggars. They remind me of Sierra the wedding planner.

Isn't that Sierra in the background?

Look, there are different definitions of lovely weddings. I didn't mean to imply that anything without a dinner wouldn't be lovely or appropriate. As @Lewy pointed out above, this is a wedding that Michael and Brandon could afford. (Although it could be argued that Michael could have gotten a part-time job, like Alyssa at the flower shop, to help pay for part of the wedding.)

But as Lewy also pointed out, this is part of their culture. And perhaps I don't take issue with this wedding as much as I don't understand the fundie culture to not skimp on decorations or dresses, and skimp on hospitality. (Jessa Duggar & Ben Seewald getting a horse-drawn carriage exit while feeding her guests ice cream on a cold day comes to mind.)

However...If Amy Duggar has 1000+ guest attend her wedding and serves cake and some turkey slices in a church basement, I hope everyone comes to her defense too.

These people are not doing weddings they can afford. They are trying to do big, grand affairs on the cheap and it shows. They could afford to have 100 or so for decent celebration, but what they want is a lot of attention and everyone in the world there. FFS, the Rodrigues have been to TWO Bateseses weddings; we all thought they crashed Erin's but I don't think so now that they have attended Michael's.

NellieBelle1197-- you've posted exactly what I was trying to say.

Look, there are different definitions of lovely weddings. I didn't mean to imply that anything without a dinner wouldn't be lovely or appropriate. As @Lewy pointed out above, this is a wedding that Michael and Brandon could afford. (Although it could be argued that Michael could have gotten a part-time job, like Alyssa at the flower shop, to help pay for part of the wedding.)

But as Lewy also pointed out, this is part of their culture. And perhaps I don't take issue with this wedding as much as I don't understand the fundie culture to not skimp on decorations or dresses, and skimp on hospitality. (Jessa Duggar & Ben Seewald getting a horse-drawn carriage exit while feeding her guests ice cream on a cold day comes to mind.)

However...If Amy Duggar has 1000+ guest attend her wedding and serves cake and some turkey slices in a church basement, I hope everyone comes to her defense too.

NellieBelle1197-- you've posted exactly what I was trying to say.

Michael worked full-time as a nanny. I don't think not working was the problem here.

to defend her: maybe because she didn't like it on herself. I've tried wedding dresses that were really pretty (a bit like Jessa Duggars dress) and I looked beautiful in them, but they weren't 'me'. I felt like I was playing in 'The Princess diaries'. I tried on a veil with a tiara and although my mom started to cry because I looked 'like a bride, so beautiful'... I felt like I was part of todlers and tiara's :shifty:

So I'm going to wear a simple strapless dress with a coloured ribbon on it. Because the moment I tried this dress on, my shoulders relaxed and I sighed of relief. This dress 'fits' me, even if there are already people who told me that "a strapless dress is sooooo last season" and "should be all white".

Totally agree. Michael looks lovely in the episode preview, but if she wasn't comfortable that's what matters. If the Bride isn't comfortable in her dress she won't be happy - and if she's not happy it'll show in the pictures.

She and Brandon look very happy. I don't agree with the style of wedding these families do because it feels very gift grabby to me, but I hope they had a beautiful day to remember.

There could have been many reasons for the dress. For one they had a short engagement and the #1 choice might not have been ready for her wedding date. It also could have been over budget. Another reasons is that it might not have met her (higher than most of her sisters) modesty standards.

I won't speculate more on the dress until I see more pics of it. However, I don't find it to be the trainwreck that Anna's dress was (could have been lovely, but it did not fit her right and looked about 2 sizes too big).

Well, that was almost two years ago. Callie should be 6-ish by now and a 6-year-old is way more capable of processing the thought of a sibling leaving the fold.

You would think, but Carlin and Tori were were really over the top emotional and upset about Erin and Alyssa "leaving" and they're teenagers.

I give Whitney+Bradley and Michael's shoes the highest points for clothing. Erin looked beautiful, as usual, but that was a very matronly dress. It looked like Michelle's MoB dress, the one where she was being strangled by a school of herring.

I don't like the bridesmaid dresses, although they certainly could have been worse. They look like they were made from Lady Lydia's tablecloths. With the long sleeves, full length and all those layers, they must have been stifling in the middle of August in the south.

I think this is where they ordered from: daintyjewells.com/ ("modern modest apostolic clothing")

As women created by God for the express purpose to bring Him glory in all that we do, we believe that ladies have a specific obligation to dress in such a manner that reflects this intention. Our company supports and celebrates women as human beings and provides clothing that is in line with Biblical beliefs of modesty. We support women in their roles not only as mothers and daughters, but also in career choices and as free human beings.

Good of them to consider that women are human beings, I guess :?

Brandon doesn't seem happy. He has the David Waller face on, the "I'm only here getting married because I have to be"

My two cents on this: while it is certainly POSSIBLE he wasn't happy, I don't think you can judge just from a few pictures whether a man is happy or not. I've actually heard this myself a few times over the years because my husband and I have a long-running joke over our wedding day in which I can count on one hand the number of pictures of him the photog captured where he is smiling. First of all, NONE of them are where he was aware he was being photographed (like the "formal" portraits done before the reception), only the candid ones that she sneakily got when he didn't notice her around. Why? He hates to smile for pictures. Always has. He thinks he looks "goofy" with a toothy grin so he tries for more of a subdued, closed-mouth, smile when posing for a pic that tends to come off as looking odd or unhappy. So, for a lay person looking through our wedding album, it might look like he didn't want to be there or that he wasn't "happy to be getting married", he just is not a fan of being photographed is all. We've been together over a decade and he treats me like a queen, so I'm pretty sure I'd know if he hadn't wanted to marry me lol

I grew up in Oklahoma and all of my Protestant sorority sisters--no matter how much or how little money the parents had-- had church weddings with the reception in the church hall. Receptions typically included punch, (non-alcoholic) brides cake, grooms cake (chocolate) nuts, mints and maybe finger sandwiches or veggie tray. No dancing, no full meal and over in an hour or two. This was not considered at all tacky, cheap or "gift grab". Just what people expected and did. A full dinner dance would have been seen as ostentatious and unnecessary.

When I moved away, I was exposed to the all night dinner dance reception.

RE: Brandon. He made some very romantic gifts for Michael during courtship and engagement. I think he loves her, just not into the limelight.

Okay, now I'm worried. Fiance of Awesome and I are planning a wedding for next September after we have our baby. Because of the pregnancy, our already-small budget became even tighter. We have an informal hors d'oeuvres and dessert reception planned with no alcohol served as I'll still be breastfeeding and it saves a ton of money on booze, bartender, and security. With all this talk of cake-and-punch receptions being poor hospitality, am I being a cheapskate by going this route? Will there be complaints at the lack of sit down dinner or buffet as being too chintzy for words?

I mean, we're spending less than $5,000 for a wedding with 50-75 guests (Wal-Mart makes very pretty wedding cakes!) but now I'm worried that we'll be seen as poor/rude/cheap hosts. I'm in the North Central Midwest and this is a secular wedding, FWIW.

Okay, now I'm worried. Fiance of Awesome and I are planning a wedding for next September after we have our baby. Because of the pregnancy, our already-small budget became even tighter. We have an informal hors d'oeuvres and dessert reception planned with no alcohol served as I'll still be breastfeeding and it saves a ton of money on booze, bartender, and security. With all this talk of cake-and-punch receptions being poor hospitality, am I being a cheapskate by going this route? Will there be complaints at the lack of sit down dinner or buffet as being too chintzy for words?

I mean, we're spending less than $5,000 for a wedding with 50-75 guests (Wal-Mart makes very pretty wedding cakes!) but now I'm worried that we'll be seen as poor/rude/cheap hosts. I'm in the North Central Midwest and this is a secular wedding, FWIW.

Pheobe, I think your wedding will be lovely and not chintzy. There are more ways of showing hospitality than feeding people.

Will you be able to speak to your guests? With 50-75 guests, I imagine you'll not only be able to say hello to everyone, but most likely have conversations with nearly all your guests. Spending time with your guests is a fantastic form of hospitality.

Are you inviting people you don't know or putting your registry out on the internet for people who don't know you (but are your "fans") to buy you gifts? Or passing a collection plate to pay for your honeymoon? My guess is no. The people you're inviting are ones you love and care for, and know and support your little family. Including those community members is a form of hospitality.

I wish you a very happy wedding!

If someone bitches about your wedding (but never offered to help you pay for it), then they're not much of a person imo. I read in a Betty Crocker hospitality book once that you should give your best, and not worry if it's not as pricy as someone else's. After all, you can't give better than your best, right?

So you are telling me that the cake and punch receptions were the norm for a wedding with 500-1000 plus guests? I said these types of receptions have been common for SMALL weddings. And it looked to me like the common was saying don't judge culture- which was weird in itself because that is all we do here :lol:

It really bothered me during the planning episode when Michael said she wanted a small wedding with 500 guests. Something ain't right there kids.

And you cannot blame it on the south.

The point, I believe that mamamia was making, is that there is no "right way" to have a wedding. Attaching your value of what a wedding should be, is judgmental. There is nothing wrong with an intimate and elegant wedding with a sit down dinner as you were able to have, and there is nothing wrong with a church wedding followed by a casual reception in the church Gym or basement with cake and Ice cream. Just like there is nothing wrong with a destination wedding on the beach with 20 of your closest friends, or, as one of my good friends had, a golf wedding, where the Wedding party Play a round of golf ending with an exchange of vows overlooking the ocean at Pebble Beach while their friends cheer them on from the side of the course and toast them with champagne.

Your value is not my value, is not Michael Bateses' value, etc.

I grew up in a rural area in the northern midwest. The typical wedding was a Saturday afternoon church ceremony followed by cake, punch, homemade mints (those were the best), and mixed nuts. The reception was held in the church basement and lasted maybe an hour.

Honestly, that is still my preference. Then slowly in our area, the wedding culture switched to include a reception held away from the church, along with a meal, a DJ or live band and dancing etc.

As a guest, these types of weddings are long and arduous activities. It literally takes up your entire day/evening, and sometimes into the next day as well, especially if you are in the bridal party or very close to the bride/groom as group brunch the day after is becoming common.

I love my friends and family, but honestly, I just want to go to the wedding, which hopefully never lasts more than an hour, and then go to the reception, for an hour or two at the most and then go about the rest of my life.

These huge weddings that expect guests dedicate 8 or more hours from wedding through reception are not my favorite way to spend time. We have on occasion attended only the wedding ceremony and declined the reception because we either couldn't spare giving up our entire Saturday, or we just simply didn't want to. We still shared in their moment, still gave a nice gift, but after the ceremony we left and went on our merry way.

So give me the nice little church wedding, or sweet little ceremony at a beautiful park, toss me some cake/ice cream and punch and then send me on my merry way 2-3 hours later and I will be more than happy.

I would agree, however, that it is really poor planning and selfish to invite more people than you have seats to accommodate at the reception as Jill and Jessa both did. Even if you are only serving cake/ice cream and punch, you should still make sure that every guest has a place to sit while they eat. Expecting people to mill about a parking lot on a cold November day while you only serve them ice cream is inconsiderate to your guests.

I don't think it should matter. The main purpose of a wedding is to get married and any kind of celebration is a nice bonus. There is a definite wedding subculture where bigger=better. I've seen it said countless times that "every little girl dreams of a big white wedding" when someone's recounting their wedding that was just like that. Weddings can be very competitive, and brides-to-be can be very, very demanding (see: bridezillas). Less can be more, sometimes. As long as you and your fiance have a great time, and guests enjoy themselves, it shouldn't matter. I can imagine being at a big white wedding and being kind of "blown away", but also thinking it's a bit much. I do think there is a lot of pressure to have "everything": a huge, fancy, poofy gown with a ginormous train, perfectly coordinated bridesmaids/groomsmen, all those Pinterest-y signs like "pick a seat not a side", expensive decor, posh formal canapes served... But YOU should do what YOU want and can afford. It's your day after all.

Long story short, I don't think there'll be complaints. In fact, most of us have been saying it shouldn't matter about the food/where the reception's held. Jessa's reception was a little awkward because it was in a parking lot in November, which is not great seeing as it's cold and all, and there wasn't anywhere to sit.

I hope you have a lovely wedding day and a great marriage. :)

Archived