IGNORED

Bates Family - Part 3

happy atheist

That's brilliant.

He's officially my favorite fundie who is old enough to talk in complete sentences lol

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never said he was less of a man.

I am pretty sure you call any guy a wimp and he will infer "less of a man." Wimpy = weak which is the antithesis of manly in this context. It can certainly be argued that there is no such thing any man being lesser based on strength, but you have to know that to call any guy a wimp is to question his strength/manhood.

I just thought that he seems kind of wimpy (maybe more feminine acting, idk)

This. This is the problem. The words wimpy and feminine aren't synonyms and when you use them interchangeably that makes feminine a pejorative. It's the labeling of less than macho guys with an insulting name while not seeming to understand that the inference that being feminine is a negative trait is insulting to women as well.

and I never said that was a bad thing or men shouldn't act that way, just that it doesn't do anything for ME. You can't see the difference?

Does anyone here care who anyone is attracted to? I haven't seen one person demanding we align on that issue*. What is frustrating is the lack of logic because you're arguing against a point no one is making.

If I said I didn't want to go to lunch with a co-worker because I thought he was kind of an asshole people would absolutely be asking me what did he do, why do I think he's an asshole. By the logic you're using if I had no answer to that and claimed 'I didn't say it was a bad thing, or that people shouldn't be assholes,' and instead kept asserting my preference to not eat lunch with him people would wonder what the hell I was talking about. The universal response would be 'of course you don't have to eat with him, who cares? But why are you going around calling him an asshole?'

But seriously, it's the circular reasoning that's frustrating.

*Fwiw I am not a leghumper of any kind and prefer my men older and 100% less fundy.

Edited is because formatting and punctuation are hard.

And it never fails I get to swooning over one of these guys and someone reminds me he is fundy and brings me right back to my senses.

Photo of Alyssa's new hair style up on Instagram today. Don't know about her actual religious beliefs but she's definitely shaken off the frumper wearing country girl thing all the Bates girls had a children and has become the ultimate glamour girl.

I find myself turning into a grumpy hobbit like creature mumbling to myself about the stupidness that is sticking to the walls around here. :head-desk:

And it never fails I get to swooning over one of these guys and someone reminds me he is fundy and brings me right back to my senses.

As my niece said, "Oh shit! He opened his mouth!". In reference to Lawson. She thought he was good looking until he started talking and singing.

Looks like there will be plenty of Chad for you all on next week's episode....maybe it'll change my mind:p

Moving on...

Does anyone feel like Michael(la)'s smiles rarely reach her eyes?

Moving on...

Does anyone feel like Michael(la)'s smiles rarely reach her eyes?

Not when she is talking about Brandon!!

We've known since before the show that Michael is shy and doesn't enjoy the spotlight. According to Kelly, she was happy to sew Erin's maids' dresses, but didn't want to be a maid herself. She's come a long way since they were on the Duggars' show, but I think she's still not 100% comfortable being on camera/in the spotlight.

New Instagram post: family is the gift that last forever.

Hmmm. My uncle, who was cut off by the entire family when he divorced his wife may think a little differently. His family didn't last forever.

And then there was the man on the news who came home to find his wife and children murdered. His family didn't last forever.

And then there's my friend whose grandparents died before she was born and her parents were killed in a car crash when she was young. Her family didn't last forever.

And then there's the aids-orphans in Africa. No family for them either.

And all those kids in the orphanage in Central America that the Bates and Duggars visit every year.

Each of these people have the opportunity to build a new family. However, it's got to hurt a bit when people claim family last forever.

I was finally able to watch the proposal episode. Brandon definitely seemed much more comfortable there than in the episodes with the whole Bates clan. If I ever doubted B&M's relationship (and I definitely did) I don't anymore - Brandon seems to truly love and respect Michael. I'm not a fan of elaborate show-like proposals and I really liked how Brandon did it. It was private and full of meaningful things, at least based on Michael's emotional reactions.

About the Florida visit... I found it very telling when Alyssa said she really liked it that her parents were able to have one-on-one time with her and John and AJ. This only reinforces the assumption that Alyssa is more private and introverted than most of the other Bateses and really enjoys her new less hectic life and time spent with her parents. By the way, isn't it a big no no in ATI circles to color your hair? If so, then a big thumbs up for Alyssa.

Bringing Up Bates truly is a dangerous show. I found myself smiling many times while watching it, and even shed a few tears along with Michael... almost forgetting who and what Gil & Kelly really follow (GotHard and ATI). Having said that, I would still choose the Bateses any day over the Duggars to live with.

I was finally able to watch the proposal episode. Brandon definitely seemed much more comfortable there than in the episodes with the whole Bates clan. If I ever doubted B&M's relationship (and I definitely did) I don't anymore - Brandon seems to truly love and respect Michael. I'm not a fan of elaborate show-like proposals and I really liked how Brandon did it. It was private and full of meaningful things, at least based on Michael's emotional reactions.

About the Florida visit... I found it very telling when Alyssa said she really liked it that her parents were able to have one-on-one time with her and John and AJ. This only reinforces the assumption that Alyssa is more private and introverted than most of the other Bateses and really enjoys her new less hectic life and time spent with her parents. By the way, isn't it a big no no in ATI circles to color your hair? If so, then a big thumbs up for Alyssa.

Bringing Up Bates truly is a dangerous show. I found myself smiling many times while watching it, and even shed a few tears along with Michael... almost forgetting who and what Gil & Kelly really follow (GotHard and ATI). Having said that, I would still choose the Bateses any day over the Duggars to live with.

I don't think they have prohibitions against coloring their hair. Jana and Jinger's hair always looks colored to me, as do Alyssa and Erin Bates. Jill's never looked processed to me, and I go back and forth on if Jessa highlights hers or not as that color can grab a lot of natural highlights from the sun if one is lucky. Erin and Jana seem to just be brightening up natural blonde hair that went a little darker as they got older, Alyssa's new color looks like a return to closer to her natural brown, and Jinger imo usually goes a shade or two too dark. Hard to tell from tv and pictures, but it usually looks too dark for her natural coloring and she'd look great with a softer chestnut.

I would not be surprised if Kelly and Michelle are keeping the grays at bay. Not everyone needs to by late 40's, but from the uniformity of color both of them look like they know their way around the inside of a L'Oreal box. Not judging - I am familiar with process, myself!

Officially more time than anyone should spend thinking about reality show hair.

I have been binge watching the show online, Im on episode 13 and wow....theres a lot of interning shit. but the sad and scary thing is I keep catching myself smiling. like grinning :D and then I realize it and mentally think about GotHard. this is me over and over again:

:popcorn2: :? :roll: :) :D :happy-smileyflower: :hand: :violence-hammer: :embarrassed: :?

Its fucking scary guys. :wtf:

ETA Regardless of who and what they are; I do appreciate that Gill and Kelly don’t hump each other on camera. I hope for the kids sake, that they are more respectful of PDA boundaries for real.

Yes "Bringing up Bates" is very dangerous! While the Duggars are crazy, too strict and you get the impression that every sentence on the Show has been staged, the Bates seem just really nice and authentic. While the Duggars are an example of blind rule followers the Bates seem to acutally be able to think for them selves and each kid can come to different results (At least to some extent). I really really would like to know their view on recoveringgrace and the Lourdes-case. As critic as I am when it comes to the Duggars and fundis in General, the Bates give me the stange idea, that this is how Religion could be lived in an ideal way. Kelly, did you spank your Kids with a rod as well, just like Michelle did? I honestly can not imagine Kelly spanking their Kids, but they probably did...

Yes "Bringing up Bates" is very dangerous! While the Duggars are crazy, too strict and you get the impression that every sentence on the Show has been staged, the Bates seem just really nice and authentic. While the Duggars are an example of blind rule followers the Bates seem to acutally be able to think for them selves and each kid can come to different results (At least to some extent). I really really would like to know their view on recoveringgrace and the Lourdes-case. As critic as I am when it comes to the Duggars and fundis in General, the Bates give me the stange idea, that this is how Religion could be lived in an ideal way. Kelly, did you spank your Kids with a rod as well, just like Michelle did? I honestly can not imagine Kelly spanking their Kids, but they probably did...

I would be honestly shocked if they didn't hit their children with rods. Kelly also used the very abusive Preparation for Parenting books for her newborn babies. In some ways I think that when it came to babies Michelle did a better job than Kelly. I imagine that Gil and Kelly don't think too highly of the work the Recovering Grace has done since Gil is on the BoD that has worked very hard to cover up that abuse. The biggest danger of the Bates is that Gil and Kelly can give the impression that they aren't just as horrible as the Duggars.

Well sorry I didn't consult the dictionary before I posted. Smh. I did say "a wimp or something" indicating that I wasn't sure of the exact word choice or way to phrase it. It's just a vibe I get. You guys are relentless! Lol

This is my BIGGEST pet peeve. If you don't know what word you're looking for, don't just guess a word and hope that it has the meaning you're looking to use. If you can't find one word to describe what you mean, use multiple words, use the dictionary, use a thesaurus, or don't say it at all. Don't just assume that you can say any old word and people will understand you.

David Beckham does not have a 'manly' voice, but it hasn't hurt his appeal.

.... I can't remember if I've ever heard his voice...........

.... I can't remember if I've ever heard his voice...........

I don't think I've heard his voice either. He's not my cup of tea anyway. There's a cockiness to his face that overpowers the good looks, at least for me. I prefer men who, like my husband, don't realize how handsome they are.

so the intro with everyone jumping on a trampoline it bugs the crap out me that Michaella is before Lawson, Erin and Alyssa. Everyone else seams to go in order but she’s stuck behind two married sisters and a younger brother. :shifty-kitty:

so the intro with everyone jumping on a trampoline it bugs the crap out me that Michaella is before Lawson, Erin and Alyssa. Everyone else seams to go in order but she’s stuck behind two married sisters and a younger brother. :shifty-kitty:

I never noticed that. Hm. Makes sense in fundie land, I guess.

I always laugh when I see the intro because it reminds me of the intro to the George Lopez Show.

I would be honestly shocked if they didn't hit their children with rods. Kelly also used the very abusive Preparation for Parenting books for her newborn babies. In some ways I think that when it came to babies Michelle did a better job than Kelly. I imagine that Gil and Kelly don't think too highly of the work the Recovering Grace has done since Gil is on the BoD that has worked very hard to cover up that abuse. The biggest danger of the Bates is that Gil and Kelly can give the impression that they aren't just as horrible as the Duggars.

Thanks a lot for your view. I agree with you, at least my brain does but yet, when I watch BuB I really start to like them and the emotional-non rational side of me thinks, that they can not be what they have to be according to their status in ATI and the views they are promotion their. The Picture of the Family I get through the Show is not compatible at all with Gothards teachings, Pearls Training advices and all the other stuff.

Thanks a lot for your view. I agree with you, at least my brain does but yet, when I watch BuB I really start to like them and the emotional-non rational side of me thinks, that they can not be what they have to be according to their status in ATI and the views they are promotion their. The Picture of the Family I get through the Show is not compatible at all with Gothards teachings, Pearls Training advices and all the other stuff.

That is their goal. They want you to forget. Just remember, that despite what they are showing, these are two people who Bill Gothard chose to bring into his inner circle to protect and defend him and that they sent their own daughters off with Bill Gothard.

I have one more episode then I am through with all tow seasons of bub. I have to say that by no means the Bates can be compared with the Duggars. They are all opinionated persons, they have actuall disussions with each kid speaking their mind. This goes for Boys and Girls as well. No Duggar kid is allowed of an opinion of their own. The older kids take care of the younger kids but it seems to come natural as it does in a big family not as a systems of duties and chores like the Duggars. Non of the women stares at their husband while he speaks. Some of Kellys siblings are adopted so she cannot agree on Gothards view when it comes to adoption. Some of the Girls go to College and even if it is just Crown College, they get some education, they get out. Impossible for a Duggar Girl. Alyssa even worked at a shop (even if it was her aunts shop as I believe). Don´t get me wrong I know the statment of the IBLP Board to recovering grace (which is a horrible reaction denying the truth) is also from Gil Bates but again: The Family I see and the teachings of ATI do not get together. Maybe the difference is one Family (the Duggars) are brainless rule followers while the Bates think for themselves and apply the rules in a different, more realistic way? I am really stuggeling here. I have to imagine them spanking their Kids and blanked Training them but then I cannot see Kelly or Alyssa or Whitney doing so.

Brandon on the other hand seems really strange to me. My personal guess it that he is gay which means in his world, that the devil is testing him a lot and he has to struggel a lot to do what god wants him to do. When you read his Story on the "Brandon loves Michaela Homepage" it seems to me that he is marring Michaela because thats what gods wants him to do not because he fell in live with her.

Archived