IGNORED

Mark Driscoll. The Wife's Fault

debrand

H

Oh and to really piss me off he made some nasty comments about Kate Schori when the Episcopals gave her the top hat. (I'm a long time friend of Kates and an atheist).

Yeah, what the fuck was that?

All of this has led this blogger to speculate that if Christian males do not man up soon, the Episcopalians may vote a fluffy baby bunny rabbit as their next bishop to lead God’s men. When asked for their perspective, some bunny rabbits simply said that they have been discriminated against long enough and that people need to ‘Get over it.’

What an absolutely worthless choadlet.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hm. There are some people who seem to be make jerks by fundamentalism because the narrowminded mindset requires it, and there are other people who just seem to be jerks who have latched onto fundamentalism because it appeals to their inherent jerkitude. I would ptu Driscoll into the latter category; he seem to me to be trying to bring the ethos of the frat house into evangelicalism, which, except for the misogyny and homophobia, is a poor fit.

What an absolutely worthless choadlet.

I googled Kate Schori and now I am confused. Driscoll's not Episcopal, what the hell has it got to do with him. They could select 12 fluffy bunnies in a pyramid formation and it would still be none of his beeswax. Anyway from my brief google she sounds like she has interesting stuff to say unlike him.

Speaking of Driscoll, have you seen this one?

fbcjaxwatchdog.blogspot.com/2011/08/driscoll-claims-to-have-specific.html

He sees things.

(Disclaimer: I'm not that "watchdog.")

ETA another version: http://thewartburgwatch.com/2011/08/29/ ... n-progress

http://thewartburgwatch.com/2011/08/29/ ... -progress/

OKay, that is crazy. Mark claims that he can see past molestations of children and when people have committed adultery. He says he sees it like a screen in front of him.

A woman walks by his office and he gets an image of her husband throwing her against the walll and threatening her if she told Mark. So Mark calls the big man into the office and tells him what Mark saw. The man is outraged and asks his wife why she told Mark that. Mark says, "She didn't tell me, Jesus did."

No mention of calling the police. Seriously, if I saw such things, I would be calling the cops to help these people.

I'm trying to understand his appeal. He has a way of speaking that is engaging. In a way, he reminds me of good comedians who are able to pull an audience into their story before they deliever the punch line.

He claims he has visions?

He says that when he looks at people, a screen pops up that shows their secrets. Seriously, that is how he describes his 'gifts."

He says that when he looks at people, a screen pops up that shows their secrets. Seriously, that is how he describes his 'gifts."

I think he is making this all up and the story with the man beating his wife never happened, but if it did, perhaps he should talk to his doctor about this "gift". Seeing things isn't normal.

I'm curious as to where/how you were exposed to him? (No snark.) I've watched quite a few of his videos and I feel that he comes across as an arrogant jerk in all of them. I get the impression that he feels contempt for his congregation.

What in particular did you like about him?

Wasn't he the one that wrote the book about Christians not really knowing who does and doesn't go to hell?

Reading a little more about him and his church and found this, which at some point on the church website:

“Some have asked the question, ‘Does Mars Hill know how to rock the flock?’ That’s been answered with a slew of talented musicians leading worship and the volume turned up as loud as is legally possible.

“Others have asked ‘Does Mars Hill know how to enjoy a good brew (coffee or beer)?’ That has also been answered with extra-strength java generously available at all church services and beer-brewing lessons whenever a large group of MH men get together.

“But there is one big question that has remained unanswered for years: ‘Does Mars Hill know how to party?’ (sorry, swaying to the music during worship doesn’t count as a sufficient answer). Well, folks, the results are in. Mars Hill can indeed part-ay. This was emphatically confirmed by the fabulous time that was had by over 700 partiers at the recent Red Hot Bash on New Year’s Eve"

Who cares about feeding the poor or caring for the widows, as long as they can part-ay, it is all good. That is what Jesus was all about, right?

Hm. There are some people who seem to be make jerks by fundamentalism because the narrowminded mindset requires it, and there are other people who just seem to be jerks who have latched onto fundamentalism because it appeals to their inherent jerkitude. I would ptu Driscoll into the latter category; he seem to me to be trying to bring the ethos of the frat house into evangelicalism, which, except for the misogyny and homophobia, is a poor fit.

THAT.

I think he is making this all up and the story with the man beating his wife never happened, but if it did, perhaps he should talk to his doctor about this "gift". Seeing things isn't normal.

I think that he is making it up also. He appears to be an under confident person who needs to beat his chest about being manly. My guess is that he wants to appear special and different from other people. It also gives him an advantage with gullible people who will probably confess all sorts of deeds to him out of a belief that he knows anyway.

Someone explain the connection between Josh Harris, who wrote, I Kissed Dating Goodbye, and Mark Driscoll. Does Harris attend Driscoll's church?

He has also admitted to stealing, which is all cool because Jesus died so he could do stuff like that:

“Our church services started to stink a whole lot less. We scraped together enough money to buy some big honking speakers, and I stole an unused sound console from my old church along with a projection screen, which were sins that Jesus thankfully died to forgive.â€

“We never paid for electricity in our office apartment because the building was illegally hooked up to the power grid and all our power was stolen.†(Confessions, p.125

Who cares about feeding the poor or caring for the widows, as long as they can part-ay, it is all good. That is what Jesus was all about, right?

And THAT. Brings to mind the Biblical anecdote of Jesus driving some out of the temple with a whip.

He has also admitted to stealing, which is all cool because Jesus died so he could do stuff like that:

“Our church services started to stink a whole lot less. We scraped together enough money to buy some big honking speakers, and I stole an unused sound console from my old church along with a projection screen, which were sins that Jesus thankfully died to forgive.â€

“We never paid for electricity in our office apartment because the building was illegally hooked up to the power grid and all our power was stolen.†(Confessions, p.125

As a Christian myself, this nauseates me. My Bible has a fair amount to say about repentance, and this is definitely not repentance.

Does he say that his actions were wrong?

Does he say that his actions were wrong?

From what I can tell the closest thing to admitting he did something pretty wrong is saying "which were sins that Jesus thankfully died to forgive".

Yeah, he basically said that Gayle Haggard had "let herself go". Here are his remarks on the the subject of Ted/Gayle Haggard:

"At the risk of being even more widely despised than I currently am, I will lean over the plate and take one for the team on this," he wrote on his blog. "It is not uncommon to meet pastors' wives who really let themselves go; they sometimes feel that because their husband is a pastor, he is therefore trapped into fidelity, which gives them cause for laziness. A wife who lets herself go and is not sexually available to her husband in the ways that the Song of Songs is so frank about is not responsible for her husband's sin, but she may not be helping him either."

http://www.salon.com/life/broadsheet/20 ... 7/driscoll

There is a reason that Driscoll is widely despised and this remark embodies his general attitude about others. The danger with Driscoll is that if a person didn't know anything about him or how he views others and that he has absolutely no use for women beyond the bedroom (despite what he says, his words/actions betray his misogyny), they may see him as a hip, cool, modern celebrity preacher who has a wide appeal and could start to internalize is particular brand of hatred.

There is even a blog that exposes Driscoll with specifics about his controlling, abusive leadership style. There's not much recent posting, but if anyone is interested in finding out about the ugly side of Driscoll, perusing these blog posts will get you started:

http://freedom4captives.wordpress.com/

This was his vision for a church:

“I envisioned a large church that hosted concerts for non-Christian bands and fans on a phat sound system, embraced the arts, trained young men to be godly husbands and fathers, planted other churches, and led people to work with Jesus Christ as missionaries to our city.†(Confessions, p.40)

Josh Harris pastors Covenant Life Church in Maryland; Driscoll's Mars Hill Church is in ...the Pacific Northwest somewhere.

I have visions too, not real ones, but ones I make up. In them, I foresee Mark Driscoll's "ministry" ending in scandal of one or more kinds:

1) abuse of authority

2) fraud

3) sexual scandal involving a member of the same sex and/or some bizarre kink like yiffing.

Josh Harris pastors Covenant Life Church in Maryland; Driscoll's Mars Hill Church is in ...the Pacific Northwest somewhere.

I have visions too, not real ones, but ones I make up. In them, I foresee Mark Driscoll's "ministry" ending in scandal of one or more kinds:

1) abuse of authority

2) fraud

3) sexual scandal involving a member of the same sex and/or some bizarre kink like yiffing.

I keep finding their names connected but I'm confused about how they relate to one another.

Archived