IGNORED

Lack of interest in Maxwell conferences

SPHASH

The "happy Fathers Day" shrine to Stevie is up. Doesn't seem worth a thread of it's own.... 'Course, the grandchild he is holding is Joshie. :doh:

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The "happy Fathers Day" shrine to Stevie is up. Doesn't seem worth a thread of it's own.... 'Course, the grandchild he is holding is Joshie. :doh:

That's Drew. I have seen him hold the ABC girls, but not Ruthanne and Lydia. Still obvious he favors the grandboys.

Noticed that also.

Maybr because the girls are getting older and holding them would be.....immodest. :roll: :ew:

Maybr because the girls are getting older and holding them would be.....immodest. :roll: :ew:

That would make sense if the only granddaughters were the ABC girls, but Ruthanne and Lydia younger that the boys.

Poor Sarah wrote:

Dad is a determined guy, and even arduous 14er hikes he pushes through

I have no words....

Poor Sarah wrote:

Dad is a determined guy, and even arduous 14er hikes he pushes through

I have no words....

Shame he didn't extend that same determination to his children's education.

He did.

He made sure,come hell or high water or a wife who couldn't cope, that those kids weren't going to be educated to be able to think for themselves.

He did.

He made sure,come hell or high water or a wife who couldn't cope, that those kids weren't going to be educated to be able to think for themselves.

But Poor Sarah can't even string a sentence together. While I agree Steve has stunted his children's intellect to keep them under his thumb, I don't understand why he wouldn't bother teaching them to communicate when their family business depends on it. I mean, he must realise how awful Sarah's writing is, mustn't he?

But Poor Sarah can't even string a sentence together. While I agree Steve has stunted his children's intellect to keep them under his thumb, I don't understand why he wouldn't bother teaching them to communicate when their family business depends on it. I mean, he must realise how awful Sarah's writing is, mustn't he?

No. Steve thinks that Sarah's writing is wonderful and all his children are great conversationalists. He is convinced there are no grammatical errors in Summer With the Moodys too.

The Maxwells are perfect in every way. :roll:

That would make sense if the only granddaughters were the ABC girls, but Ruthanne and Lydia younger that the boys.

I stand corrected. Steve is just an asshole.

No. Steve thinks that Sarah's writing is wonderful and all his children are great conversationalists. He is convinced there are no grammatical errors in Summer With the Moodys too.

This reminds me of Newspeak from George Orwell's 1984: restrict vocabulary to an increasingly-shortened list of approved words to make critical thinking extremely difficult to do.

Steve is double plus ungood!

Steve doesn't care what this likes of us think about his kids ability to write or converse. Every opinion from a naysayer is an attack from satan and just proves to him how right he is. Now if his leghumpers or another Christian he respects were to voice the opinion that Sarah (or any of the others) could use some help in the writing (or any other) department, he MIGHT listen. But then again, I doubt there IS another Christian that Steve respects and I'm sure a leghumper would never dare criticize.

It's probably a good thing that the offspring are sheltered from the outside, at least where arts and humanities are concerned. They might be hella pissed at finding out just how much they've been hobbled by their overlord.

I just don't understand this. Don't get me wrong, I'm not disbelieving you, but Stevehovah lived (more or less) in the real world for the first forty-odd years of his life. He's been exposed to good writing - and bad - and yet he STILL believes Sarah can write well? The cognitive dissonance is astounding.

Not only that, but he especially admires the naturalism in her dialogue.

Holy fuck, no, just no. Please tell me this is a joke. I literally cannot even.

Naturalism? By what standards? Sarah writes like a child and her dialogue is only natural if you can think of the terrifying possibility that this is how she and her siblings actually speak.

I just don't understand this. Don't get me wrong, I'm not disbelieving you, but Stevehovah lived (more or less) in the real world for the first forty-odd years of his life. He's been exposed to good writing - and bad - and yet he STILL believes Sarah can write well? The cognitive dissonance is astounding.

I'd say he only lived in the real world until he was 25 - that's when he sold out Jesus, according to Sarah. "My dad gave his life to the Lord 39 years ago! He is a godly example of a man sold-out to Jesus." Since then he has increasingly narrowed his horizons and has probably read nothing but computer manuals and the bible for the last 30 years. He may also be one of those engineers who never read books for pleasure anyway.

ILoveJellybeans wrote:

Holy fuck, no, just no. Please tell me this is a joke. I literally cannot even.

Naturalism? By what standards? Sarah writes like a child and her dialogue is only natural if you can think of the terrifying possibility that this is how she and her siblings actually speak.

They may indeed speak like that. We've described it before as a cross between KJB and business lingo circa 1990! Also, check out the unbelievably stilted dialogue in Making Great Conversationalists. I've only read the sample chapters but Steve and Teri can't write natural dialogue either.

I'd say he only lived in the real world until he was 25 - that's when he sold out Jesus, according to Sarah. "My dad gave his life to the Lord 39 years ago! He is a godly example of a man sold-out to Jesus." Since then he has increasingly narrowed his horizons and has probably read nothing but computer manuals and the bible for the last 30 years. He may also be one of those engineers who never read books for pleasure anyway.

Oh, fair point. I thought the family was relatively normal when Sarah was little; I seem to recall a picture of her in shorts somewhere? I guess they were still pretty conservative and isolated then, just in a way that seems mainstream in comparison to their current lifestyle!

And I still can't believe Sarah actually said Steve's "sold-out" to Jesus.

Steve doesn't care what this likes of us think about his kids ability to write or converse. Every opinion from a naysayer is an attack from satan and just proves to him how right he is. Now if his leghumpers or another Christian he respects were to voice the opinion that Sarah (or any of the others) could use some help in the writing (or any other) department, he MIGHT listen. But then again, I doubt there IS another Christian that Steve respects and I'm sure a leghumper would never dare criticize.

It's probably a good thing that the offspring are sheltered from the outside, at least where arts and humanities are concerned. They might be hella pissed at finding out just how much they've been hobbled by their overlord.

Has Steve ever mentioned respecting another Christian who might be able to give him constructive criticism? He sets himself up as the only true prophet as far as I can see. The only person I remember him consulting about anything is Teri's father.

We are fairly sure he is on the outs with Pearl. Phillips is way too worldly. Was he pals with Botkin at any point? Botkin is probably pretentious enough for Stevo. We know he talks to Jim Bob Duggar, but I really can't imagine Steve listening to him. Especially now!

I'm stumped.

Has Steve ever mentioned respecting another Christian who might be able to give him constructive criticism? He sets himself up as the only true prophet as far as I can see. The only person I remember him consulting about anything is Teri's father.

We are fairly sure he is on the outs with Pearl. Phillips is way too worldly. Was he pals with Botkin at any point? Botkin is probably pretentious enough for Stevo. We know he talks to Jim Bob Duggar, but I really can't imagine Steve listening to him. Especially now!

I'm stumped.

I can't imagine Steve Maxwell and Geoffrey Botkin ever being pals--though locking them in a room together might prove entertaining. Botkin's snooty, pseudo-intellectual posturings and his Calvinism wouldn't go over well with Steve. Also the fact that, despite their pretentiousness and puffery, the Botkins are arguably more accomplished and (potentially) better able to function in the wider world would be huge strikes against them. And those Botkin girls! With their sensuous bed-headed hairstyles, and their penchant for Disney films, and their competence as writers, and that they are allowed to read widely (for fundies at least) and for pleasure!

No, no. The Botkins are despicably worldly, and wholly unfit for the Maxwells to associate with. :lol:

Ah, but once that leghumper or Christian he respects were to voice any type of criticism about Sarah or any other Maxwell, they would immediately cease to be a leghumper or a Christian that Steve respects. Ergo, he would no longer have to listen to their opinion, as it would just be an attack from Satan.

Don't you know how this works, Sparkles? ;)

Ah, but once that leghumper or Christian he respects were to voice any type of criticism about Sarah or any other Maxwell, they would immediately cease to be a leghumper or a Christian that Steve respects. Ergo, he would no longer have to listen to their opinion, as it would just be an attack from Satan.

Don't you know how this works, Sparkles? ;)

NOW it makes sense! ;)

Archived