IGNORED

Fundie Prom Won't Let in Student Dressed in Kilt

gibbsgirls

Kilts are EXTREMELY manly, and defrauding as hell.

They are wonderful things.

There are entire pinterest boards dedicated the men in kilts. :drool:

They are wonderful things.

There are entire pinterest boards dedicated the men in kilts. :drool:

I just spent some time on that site, as men in kilts are extremely defrauding.

Very nice tour to end my night. :)

So unless the kilt resembled this one...

scottish-kilt.jpeg

they really need to chill out and shut up.

I am so getting one of these for my husband.

I am so getting one of these for my husband.

I showed this post to Mr. Cactus and his exact words were, 'That can be arranged.' :D :D

Yes it is. The great PP, the answer to all your biblical questions

When I clicked on this thread, I thought of him and his "Jesus wore pants" nonsense, actually. :lol:

This. But GotHard types might.

Yes, I agree. Also, from what little I know of IFB circles, some of those folks that I've known over the years would balk, too.

Biblical men of all classes wore flowing dresses. Ancient Egyptian men of all classes wore shendyts. Ancient Greek and Roman men of all classes wore long tunics.

Not to mention that the kilt is a very masculine symbol in its culture of origin.

These fundie lines are so arbitrary. And unfortunate, because knee-length skirts offer flexibility and comfort in hot weather.

This crazy lady better thank her lucky stars she never ran into my maternal grandfather he was rather proud of his Scottish heritage and he would definitely have lifted the damn thing up and given her one hell of a defrauding if she'd tried to keep him out of a dance for wearing his kilt. Still who is so culturally ignorant that they think a kilt isn't traditional Scottish menswear? What the boy was wearing was perfectly acceptable as formal wear since a kilt can be dressed up with a dress shirt and suit jacket or dressed down with a nice sweater. Poor Spanky should shy away from the kilt, or buy one that fits correctly though. PP is a fucking moron, Jesus never wore pants given the place and time in which he lived he would have worn a robe and tunic. I don't get these fundie gender roles fanatics that are so insecure in their masculinity that they deem something that has always been considered male attire in the culture it originated from effeminate, and someone wearing it in a culturally appropriate way a crossdresser. I'd really like this lady and PP to take their opinions to Scotland the results would be hysterical.

If he must pretend to be Scottish.

I don't think wearing a kilt necessarily means someone is trying to pretend to be Scottish. Plaids are based on tartans, and kilts have become popular around the world. This is no more pretending to be Scottish than a woman is pretending to be Indian by using sari trim on a dress. Most fashion is borrowed from various cultures, no matter where you are, and especially in cultural melting pot countries. There is no strictly American way of dressing aside from jeans and the crap Miley Cyrus wears that no one sane in the world would wear on a daily basis.

I don't think wearing a kilt necessarily means someone is trying to pretend to be Scottish. Plaids are based on tartans, and kilts have become popular around the world. This is no more pretending to be Scottish than a woman is pretending to be Indian by using sari trim on a dress. Most fashion is borrowed from various cultures, no matter where you are, and especially in cultural melting pot countries. There is no strictly American way of dressing aside from jeans and the crap Miley Cyrus wears that no one sane in the world would wear on a daily basis.

But Spanky Sproul, as an American, is pretending to be Scottish and for a reason. Here is why in his own words [my bolding]:

Ask RC: Why do you sometimes wear a kilt?

The last time I wore my kilt was at the joyous occasion of the marriage of my first born daughter. The answer for why I wore it then is simple enough—it was a formal occasion. The kilt was a gift from my parents some twenty years ago. Over the past two decades I suspect that I have had roughly about 30 occasions to wear it. I wore it when I was first ordained, ironically to make an important point about the insignificance of our cultural heritages.

I was originally ordained in an old and faithful Presbyterian denomination. The sermon I preached that day was on Paul’s admonition in Philippians 3 against putting our confidence in the flesh. There Paul highlights his Jewish credentials only to argue that all that was so much trash to be thrown overboard. I thought it fitting to preach on that text as the some of a Reformed theologian, as a direct descendent of the first man ordained to gospel ministry by John Knox in Scotland, Robert Campbell Sproul. Like Paul before me I laid out my Reformed bona fides, while dressed like a Presbyterian’s Presbyterian only to affirm it is all trash, that what matters is gaining Christ, knowing Him.

The kilt then is not designed to remind me, or those around me, that the Scots are the pinnacle of the church. It is, however, designed to remind me, and those around me, of the grace of God in one particular place. In other words when I wear the kilt I am not seeking to say that Christianity is Scottish, but that Scotland is Christian. When I put on my kilt I want to remember how God has worked through my people. But better still I want to remember how God has worked for my people. In short, I wear the kilt, a marker of my own peculiar heritage, to remember that my own peculiar heritage is but one example of the gospel as the power of God for salvation.

rcsprouljr.com/blog/rc-wear-kilt/

I don't agree with Sproul's reasons for wearing a kilt.

To the rest of your argument -- oh, please. Of course fashion incorporates elements from many other countries. But there is a difference between incorporating an element of tartan or sari trim and dressing up in full formal national dress.

Americans with no Scottish heritage all tarted up (for want of a better expression) in full formal Highland dress just because they think it looks good for a wedding can be (and often are) subjected to mild ridicule. Not that many people care any more (and I certainly don't) but there are conventions, almost an etiquette, attached to wearing tartan. Those who take clan tartans and the right to wear them seriously can get all upset. IME, earnest Americans who frequent US Scottish festivals take the wearing of tartan so much more seriously than most Scots. :lol:

I don't agree with Sproul's reasons for wearing a kilt.

To the rest of your argument -- oh, please. Of course fashion incorporates elements from many other countries. But there is a difference between incorporating an element of tartan or sari trim and dressing up in full formal national dress.

I want to defraud your delicate sensibilities so bad right now. Would it really be as easy as wearing a highlander outfit or complete saree? Or maybe your should google the utilikilt -- prepare to clutch those pearls!

Side-note, tangentially related to your argument, Palimpset: If I see another person on FJ claim that Scottish/Irish/Celtic culture is being oppressed, my eyeballs might roll out of my mouth.

I want to defraud your delicate sensibilities so bad right now. Would it really be as easy as wearing a highlander outfit or complete saree? Or maybe your should google the utilikilt -- prepare to clutch those pearls!

Side-note, tangentially related to your argument, Palimpset: If I see another person on FJ claim that Scottish/Irish/Celtic culture is being oppressed, my eyeballs might roll out of my mouth.

Good try, Eri, but it didn't work. Perhaps you missed my earlier post on this thread. I swoon for most men in kilts. You also lack reading comprehension: people wearing Scottish national dress just to look good when it is not in their heritage don't bother me at all. They only amuse me.

If you want to defraud me, only dress in full formal Scottish dress if a) you are male (I've afraid I'm thoroughly cis) and b) you have the figure for it. Unfortunately Spanky does not. He also wears a kilt to make points I disagree with completely. I was already quite aware of the utilikilt, thanks. No pearl clutching, sorry. Again, it doesn't flatter everyone.

A much more important point: Although most Scottish people don't seem to care much, in multicultural circles there are discussions about when, or if it is ever, appropriate to wear the full cultural/national dress of another culture/nation. It really depends on the circumstances. Examples: If a white person is asked to wear a sari to an Indian event - fine. If a white person gets all dressed up as a Geisha or in Native American garb to mock those cultures - not fine.

I think your eyeballs are safe from me. No Celtic blood here. I identify as English by birth alone, and Third Culture Kid now expat adult. I can't remember ever saying I felt oppressed.

But Spanky Sproul, as an American, is pretending to be Scottish and for a reason.

You are projecting Spanky onto a teenager named David Leix, who wore his grandfather's kilt, as he did on several occasions, to honor his grandfather. How does this mean that DAVID is "pretending to be Scottish" when he actually IS of Scottish lineage?

You are projecting Spanky onto a teenager named David Leix, who wore his grandfather's kilt, as he did on several occasions, to honor his grandfather. How does this mean that DAVID is "pretending to be Scottish" when he actually IS of Scottish lineage?

Read my original post on this thread. I think it sucks that David was denied entry into the prom while wearing his grandfather's kilt. He was dressed perfectly for the event and should have been allowed in.

Then I explained why I do not like Spanky's reasons for wearing a kilt. Different subject. No projection at all.

Good try, Eri, but it didn't work. Perhaps you missed my earlier post on this thread. I swoon for most men in kilts. You also lack reading comprehension: people wearing Scottish national dress just to look good when it is not in their heritage don't bother me at all. They only amuse me.

If you want to defraud me, only dress in full formal Scottish dress if a) you are male (I've afraid I'm thoroughly cis) and b) you have the figure for it. Unfortunately Spanky does not. He also wears a kilt to make points I disagree with completely. I was already quite aware of the utilikilt, thanks. No pearl clutching, sorry. Again, it doesn't flatter everyone.

A much more important point: Although most Scottish people don't seem to care much, in multicultural circles there are discussions about when, or if it is ever, appropriate to wear the full cultural/national dress of another culture/nation. It really depends on the circumstances. Examples: If a white person is asked to wear a sari to an Indian event - fine. If a white person gets all dressed up as a Geisha or in Native American garb to mock those cultures - not fine.

I think your eyeballs are safe from me. No Celtic blood here. I identify as English by birth alone, and Third Culture Kid now expat adult. I can't remember ever saying I felt oppressed.

Notice how I was careful to say "side note, tangentially related"?

God, you are obnoxious. Get riled up some more.

Archived