IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion - Part Eleventy

Nishi621

Did Jim Bob say that Derick had minor surgery at the beginning of the clip? Did I miss something? I stopped at 4 minutes. Yaaaawwwwwnnnnn

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did Jim Bob say that Derick had minor surgery at the beginning of the clip? Did I miss something? I stopped at 4 minutes. Yaaaawwwwwnnnnn

Yes he did. Maybe they cranked Derick's braces?

Maybe he had a vasectomy.

Apologies for back-to-back posts but I remembered something else. It struck me watching the Duggars singing and when they were playing their instruments that no one moved their body in time with the music. I think I saw one foot tapping ever so slightly. I found it weird and sad. They stand like fucking robots who have had the 'dance' mode' programmed out.

As singers and musicians they are not exceptionally talented but they did a passable job. Jinger plays a pretty mean piano.

Agree on this... I'm pretty impressed with Jinger's musical ability - both on piano and violin. She played some nice upper melodies in the midst of the otherwise cacophonous kid playing. I don't recall watching previous performances other than the singing and violin scratching of the littles. Wouldn't it be awesome to have the opportunity to pursue growing that talent into something of her own. I think Jana can play too but acts as the prompter for the youngers so she had to be a bit rigid.

Some of the singing songs had pleasant harmonies, but mostly seemed like camp sing-a-long quality.

I skipped the rest. :ew:

In Jill's birth special, I am glad to see that Josh and Anna said that JB was over-the-top with his PDA.

Then, JB admits that it embarrasses Michelle. Then STOP doing it if it embarrasses your wife!

Agree on this... I'm pretty impressed with Jinger's musical ability - both on piano and violin. She played some nice upper melodies in the midst of the otherwise cacophonous kid playing. I don't recall watching previous performances other than the singing and violin scratching of the littles. Wouldn't it be awesome to have the opportunity to pursue growing that talent into something of her own. I think Jana can play too but acts as the prompter for the youngers so she had to be a bit rigid.

Some of the singing songs had pleasant harmonies, but mostly seemed like camp sing-a-long quality.

I skipped the rest. :ew:

I know very little about playing musical instruments, but I imagine it must be terribly frustrating, as a grown woman, to always have to play together with your very young siblings who are just making screeching sounds on their violins. I mean, who honestly thinks that a nice sound could possibly come out of a violin in Josie's hands?!

Musician / music teacher here.

I've watched the Duggars musical performances over and over. I watch technique, listen to sound, etc. I'm use to teaching orchestras so I'm pretty good at focusing on a single persons playing in a large group. It's harder on tv but still possible.

My opinion ... for their ages, the Duggars range from ok to good. (I'm only talking about Violin/Viola/Cello here as I'm a Violist.) Nothing wrong with where Josie is at for her age. The older kids technique is fine and they play in tune. There are a few kids in there who would do better on a different instrument.

There are two big problems with their performances;

1.The obvious ... a twenty year age gap, experience ranging from a few weeks to many years ... that always ends up sounding like the weakest player. It takes years to learn to play string in tune and one out of tune player kills the whole group. I have a clip of the four older girls playing together and it's nice. Pity they don't do that more often.

2. The instruments ... if you want a good sound you need a good instrument. My sons first Violin (he was 2) cost $200 and sounded awful but he would have sounded awful anyway. Now he plays on a $15,000 instrument and it sounds incredible. However, he has just started a music degree at uni and is asking for a better one. The Duggars Violins are rubbish. I have seen them with brands that I do not allow my students to play, not even complete beginners. If Jim Bob opened his wallet just a little and bought his kids instruments of a quality that matched their ability, they would sound so much better.

It is a shame that Jinger wasn't sent to Crown College to major in music like Erin did.

There is an author who wrote a book about a fictional fundie Christian family, and she said it was inspired by the Duggars. I read an excerpt today and it seems like the main charade is in a conflict about breaking free. Here is the excerpt:

http://www.seventeen.com/life/a30607/je ... d-excerpt/

I didn't break the link since it is Seventeen magazine.

Seems interesting. More importantly, maybe it is a sign of the realities of the Duggar life and how they aren't as peachy as TV makes it look. It would be really great if this book could start a conversation about the Duggar's lifestyle.

There is an author who wrote a book about a fictional fundie Christian family, and she said it was inspired by the Duggars. I read an excerpt today and it seems like the main charade is in a conflict about breaking free. Here is the excerpt:

http://www.seventeen.com/life/a30607/je ... d-excerpt/

I didn't break the link since it is Seventeen magazine.

Seems interesting. More importantly, maybe it is a sign of the realities of the Duggar life and how they aren't as peachy as TV makes it look. It would be really great if this book could start a conversation about the Duggar's lifestyle.

Wow, thanks for sharing that, Londish. I am glad she did her research and talked to some actual ex-Fundies before writing it. Knowing that, I'm on board to read it. Can't wait until it's published.

The lease on our building was up, and the land lord decided to pursue another business option that was more profitable. With so many families traveling during the summer, families moving, ext. it was just easier to have us attend other churches than try to find a space, organize services, ext. when so many families are traveling during the summer anyways.

This is interesting. My tinfoil theory: Could the Duggars have too many summer plans to keep up with their church, and are disbanding it for the summer. Only to reopen with their new ULTRA MEGA CHURCH OF DUGGAR in the fall. The disseminating to otherr area churches could be their recruitment method. Bahh who am i kidding. they are not this organized...

Or it could be they are getting too much flack for their show or a bunch of dishonest "new" church members (leghumpers) and need to weed them out?

Or are they leaving ATI altogether to join Cross Church to look more mainstream for the Teevee?

I would not count them out on plans for a big new church of their own. There is Jim Bob's hubris, número uno, to consider. Perhaps he actually believes he could handle it. Then there is the logistical issue of managing not only their own growing numbers but their other church members, old and new. They *have* to have leghumpers flocking in to join them in their worship and fellowship - heck, *I'd* go once and take notes; I can only imagine the nightmare, trying to be friendly and welcoming yet keeping a close eye on and counting your kids even just for safety issues. Trying to discreetly vet people ... There are some loony toons out there who will do anything to either schmooze in with the family or possibly outright snatch one of their children. (I realize the latter possibility is remote but it exists; they didn't install their compound security gate for nothing.)

Im not really sure what I believe about the afterlife.

I think that if there is a Heaven, then most people will get there unless they do something really terrible. I don't even think having bigoted beliefs should send you to Hell, unless you are outright being violent to people who are different...I think for Michelle and Jimbob, it depends what went on behind the scenes when the cameras aren't on. If they were fans of the Pearls or were abusing their kids in some way, then they should go to Hell. Personally I think they already are at least emotionally and spiritually abusing the kids, without a doubt. I don't really think they do enough good things to deserve it, but I don't know what I would consider being bad enough to go to Hell.

The kids? It entirely depends on what they learn before they die. I don't think it would be right to send someone to Hell for things they did because they didn't know better, so I think if any of them died now, they would be considered innocent, as theyre all pretty fresh out from under their parents thumb. But if they lived long enough to repeat the cycle and be horribly abusive to their own kids, and never repent for that and realise what theyre doing is wrong, then no, they wont get to Heaven.

The hellfire doctrine is stuff and nonsense. The Bible says LOVE is God's predominant quality. Burning someone forever, your "bad children" is almost demonic in thinking. And who'd want to serve a God like that? We mortal parents are imperfect yet I would never, under any circumstances, hold my misbehaving child's hand over a hot stove -

n e v e r.

Biblical proof of God's disgust and punishment for the pagans burning their children alive as sacrifices abounds in the scriptures. Jeremiah 19:5 says that their practice of burning their sons in the fire to Ba'al was a thought God hadn't even conceived "nor had it come up in his heart."

Sorry if I offend, but this hellfire lie really burns me up.

Poor Rick Santorum, he has been abandoned.

I can totally see Joshie working for the Huckster. Ugh, I hate these people. This is where is becomes obvious that the Duggers are just an entertaining group of eccentrics, they and their political views are dangerous.

What I don't understand is how they purport to live as Christ-like as possible and yet seem to have missed the message Jesus sent by his actions - by actively avoiding political involvement, rife with corruption, not unlike today. He spoke to the real, permanent answer, which wasn't an earthly one. They wanted to crown him king more than once and he had to flee for the mountains. The Jews were looking to be freed from Roman oppression and here the Savior had arrived and wanted nothing to do with corrupt earthly politics. Interesting, eh?

IMO, worshipping Gothard does not allow one to also worship Jesus Christ. The Duggars need to make a choice- IMO, in terms of their ministry and faith, that is their biggest hurdle.

IMO, they tread lightly on Gothard as that could be perceived as a turn off to mainstream Christian fundies.

Maybe he had a vasectomy.

For a second I was hoping it was Ben had surgery and he had sinus surgery.

Didn't Derek have braces put on or something right after IDD was born? That could be the minor surgery. Duggars and Dentists ya know.

I have a question, and I hope it is OK to ask it here in this thread. I caught a few seconds of "14 Kids and Moving In" the other day, and Michelle seem to speak in a fairly normal tone of voice.

When did the minnie-mouse-on-helium voice appear?

Thanks!

I have a question, and I hope it is OK to ask it here in this thread. I caught a few seconds of "14 Kids and Moving In" the other day, and Michelle seem to speak in a fairly normal tone of voice.

Thanks!

I noticed that as well. Methinks Michelle watched the episodes and noticed she wasn't speaking as softly or" sweetly" as she ought and made the shift. I would hope no one pointed it out, correcting her - but with this family and their bewildering faith who knows.

Can you imagine the stress for all of them to constantly be on point as they are "naturally" living their lives? We're talking thousands of hours and who knows what will be culled and put in the can? Can't be caught in a weak moment, now can we. And for a child? Especially the sensitives ones like Jenny, do not emerge unscathed. The camera reveals that sweet little girl's pain and discomfort. It's hard to watch. I can count how many times I've heard her speak.

Don't get me started on Jordyn. I could eat that little one with a spoon she's so genuinely sweet.

Sorry, I'm grumpy. I know we need it, but Joni promised me that it never rains in Southern California!

[going to crawl back to my blanket square]

It showed up the day her sanity (and uterus) walked out on her. About 4 kids ago.

I think Michelle does the baby voice and treats Josie like a baby because she wants people to believe that she and JB and the AND COUNTING are still relevant. Remember how Kate Gosselin kept the 6 in those highchairs and bibs until they were like 6 or 7, same thing.

I think Michelle does the baby voice and treats Josie like a baby because she wants people to believe that she and JB and the AND COUNTING are still relevant. Remember how Kate Gosselin kept the 6 in those highchairs and bibs until they were like 6 or 7, same thing.

It could just be her babying Josie more since she is the last one. Although I was pretty freaked out when Jill and Derrick mentioned it being cool for Jill and Michelle to be pregnant at the same time. :pink-shock:

Also, as the mom of a preemie, you never forget how tiny and fragile they once were and it is easy to baby them a little extra. I try not to but it's hard! It does horrify me that they televised the poor baby in the NICU. And now that seizure :cry:

Yep, and it's why they all still have to travel together and perform for speaking engagements. I thought it was really sad that a very pregnant Anna had to stand on stage and wrestle a 22 month old. Jessa is also a pregnant newlywed and shouldn't have been there with mommy and daddy. Don't get me started on why Marjorie has to join the dog and pony show immediately. When the Duggars first appeared on the scene I honestly thought they were a little endearing in a "oh look, they focus on God, family, and music" kind of way. Now they are all so much older and they look less happy.

The hellfire doctrine is stuff and nonsense. The Bible says LOVE is God's predominant quality. Burning someone forever, your "bad children" is almost demonic in thinking. And who'd want to serve a God like that? We mortal parents are imperfect yet I would never, under any circumstances, hold my misbehaving child's hand over a hot stove -

n e v e r.

Biblical proof of God's disgust and punishment for the pagans burning their children alive as sacrifices abounds in the scriptures. Jeremiah 19:5 says that their practice of burning their sons in the fire to Ba'al was a thought God hadn't even conceived "nor had it come up in his heart."

Sorry if I offend, but this hellfire lie really burns me up.

:lol: I see what you did there!

I agree with your thoughts, as well, though certain people (ESPECIALLY Justin Harris) do make me yearn for a vengeful deity.

It's not really that simple. In many areas (mine included) all of the neighborhoods are HOA. Seriously there's one smallish neighborhood here that isn't but it's not advisable to drive down that street in the day, let alone live in there.

In our neighborhood, we have rules about everything from where to put put your trash can to what color you can paint your house (list of pre-approved). You also have to bring your trash can up by a certain time or you'll get fined. Park with the tires off of your concrete driveway? FINED. I hate it but I don't want to live somewhere unsafe so I put up with it.

I see that the thread has moved on, but I have to chime in with my favorite HOA story. My brother and SIL met and married in southern California, where her family lives, along with some of our extended family. When they went looking for a place, they could not find ANYTHING without a HOA (yes, areas without HOAs existed, but they were well beyond their price range). They wound up renting a townhouse and lived there for years. My SIL got in trouble for having the wrong color FLOWERS in the front. :pink-shock:

Archived