IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion - Part Eleventy

Nishi621

This is something I have thought about and have seen bantered about on this board a bit.

What would happen if Jim Bob died suddenly? I assume financially they would be fine, he seems to be, if nothing else, a good businessman, so i am sure the money would be ok.

But, in their fundie life, the man is the headship and "keeps" the daughter's hearts. So, if JB kicked the bucket, what happens to the household, to Michelle and the kids at home? Do they just wander around? Would Michelle have to immediately remarry? Would she be the headship? One of the sons???

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure in that case Josh would become the head of the family. I seriously doubt he would be the boss of Michelle or even his sisters in any real sense, though. I think Michelle would really be he headship. Let's face it, she kind of is already.

Josie steps in and moves his family to the good rooms.

Michelle gets to bunk with GMM and spend time in the laundry room.

I'm pretty sure in that case Josh would become the head of the family. I seriously doubt he would be the boss of Michelle or even his sisters in any real sense, though. I think Michelle would really be he headship. Let's face it, she kind of is already.

But Josh is married with a family and headship of his own. JD would make more sense since he's not married.

I think by Fundie logic that would make Smugger the headship. Unless he doesn't count since he's married, so JD? I just remember reading on Love, Joy, Feminism that brothers would always be headships, even if they were younger than sisters.

The system is patriarchial, it has to be a male.

So even if an 8yo became "the headship" I guess Michelle could rule as 'headship regent."

Been re-reading Game of Thrones, currently where 8yo Tommen has been crowned, wed to Margaery Tyrell and Cersei is going whackadoodle mad with power and Tywin's untimely death.

Tommen is the king but Cersei is the true person in charge.

My guess is that there would be no headship unless Michelle remarried. No way in hell would Michelle let one of her sons be in charge of anything, IMO. I don't think she would share that power with anyone, much less a "child." I think she'd expect them to do a ton of work for her and possibly contribute financially, but with none of the freedom that she and Jim Bob get to enjoy as the adults in the family. They'd probably be indentured servants for life.

It'd be like breaking the tail off a gecko :D Sorry, Jim Bob, I think you're the disposable part. I think she'd keep on as the head herself, because I think that's how it's been for a looong time, no matter who they SAY is the head of the family.

On the other side, I think Jim Bob would be devastated if Michelle died. I think he's a pretty sensitive guy and would be totally out of commission.

In The Duggars case, which is not typical, I think they have PR team/TLC helping make alot of decisions these days as far as what the pubic sees and Jana probably knows more about what the under 18's are doing then Jim Bob and Michelle so a true new headship would not be as needed. I hate to think about someone dying but I say that the PR team would help Michelle make the public decisions, Jana would run the house and when it comes to Bible time JD would lead the prayers. I can't see JD being an offical leader or headship but with the help of having a PR machine and money, he could play the role. I doubt the Duggars would make Josh leave DC. I could see them asking Derrick to leave Walmart someday. Josh's job is a ministry and he needs to be riding in his big RV to save the babies and the American Family.

When my husband's father died(he came from a family bigger then the Duggars), my husband got the "headship" role. He was not the oldest son. The oldest son was married with a family and lived about 300 miles away. My husband was a senior in high school, some how managed to finish high school, work full time, and take care of most of the younger kids schooling and church. His mother was total checked out for the first 3 years(not even present). My husband said he was very stressed for the 7 years he was in charge and then he was excited to have his own life and family. Now years later he is expressing sadness over the loss of those years 17-25.

Josie steps in and moves his family to the good rooms.

Michelle gets to bunk with GMM and spend time in the laundry room.

I'm sure that is a typo and you meant Josh and not Josie. Somehow even in the most feminist society, I can't see a 5 yo girl stepping in to raise the family.

How can Josh be headship to two women? Is that allowed? The fundie system is so fucked up that these people don't think about anything. Michelle would probably take over, but what about the remaining children who are unmarried? Especially the daughters. Since daddy had their heart.

Jesus will take care of the family.

How can Josh be headship to two women? Is that allowed? The fundie system is so fucked up that these people don't think about anything. Michelle would probably take over, but what about the remaining children who are unmarried? Especially the daughters. Since daddy had their heart.

Jesus will take care of the family.

Well, JB is HS to Michelle and GMM (+ all the daughters + sons).

I'm sure that is a typo and you meant Josh and not Josie. Somehow even in the most feminist society, I can't see a 5 yo girl stepping in to raise the family.

No, SassyPants meant Josie. Remember when she was moving in Derick and Jill? lol

Headship usually passes to the oldest son, and being married with a family of his own is just a perk since he's got practice. Josh would inherit his mother and 16 unmarried siblings.

I agree with others that Josh would become the official headship but Michelle would do most of the actual decision making since the Duggar family is not actually as patriarchal as they claim. I think JD would be the local headship though doing things like bible time.

• 3 months later...

!  {TEXT1}:
Hey kids, read this announcement before you post in this new thread: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=25810

If you are going to post a picture, upload it to FJ and include some commentary of your own. Talk about the picture and what makes it worth posting.

In reference to all the media attention I.e., People covers & shoots... who's pushing it? Someone on Tumblr made mention that Michelle has a nice picture but her eyes are empty, as if she had no true interest in what's going on. Is this all a JB (our show will never be canceled) publicity thing? Or is it the older kids taking advantage of a modern age, pushing their own ultimate agendas on a younger, more pliable audience...?

TLC used to put them on Good Morning America (I think it was?). I wouldn't be surprised if it was TLC, not the Duggars.

In reference to all the media attention I.e., People covers & shoots... who's pushing it? Someone on Tumblr made mention that Michelle has a nice picture but her eyes are empty, as if she had no true interest in what's going on. Is this all a JB (our show will never be canceled) publicity thing? Or is it the older kids taking advantage of a modern age, pushing their own ultimate agendas on a younger, more pliable audience...?

I think it's part of a vast, religious right-wing conspiracy. And I'm only half kidding.

I think it's part of a vast, religious right-wing conspiracy. And I'm only half kidding.

Somehow they are making fundie craziness seem normal and attractive. In the People most beautiful issue? Hate is not beautiful. It's normalizing far right views for sure. I'm not putting on my tin foil hat and calling it a conspiracy but I sure don't like it.

The average reader/viewer probably delves no further. They are a big, Christian family with some attractive daughters. End of story. When will a reputable agency do a real expose?

TLC with a possible, small legitimate interest out there with two weddings one birth and one new pregnancy. Someone I work with who does not watch the show and is not interested in the Duggars commented about Jill's upcoming wedding before it aired.

If that is the case, then I imagine JB and Figure 8 and TLC are trying to keep up the interest - thus we get Josiah's courtship announcement. I sort of feel like Jill/Jessa have opened the proverbial floodgate and with Jana, John, Jinger & Joe out there of marriagble age we'll see non stop courtships, weddings and babies. (which beats packing and dental visits)

Like many on the interwebs have mentioned, I wonder sometimes if they realize how far down the rabbit hole they've fallen.... I'm fairly convinced Michelle's riding the Prozac train & has been for a while.

Like many on the interwebs have mentioned, I wonder sometimes if they realize how far down the rabbit hole they've fallen.... I'm fairly convinced Michelle's riding the Prozac train & has been for a while.

If she is medicated she needs to get a new doctor. There is no way in hell I could act like her and not get a higher dose of medication and or have to change meds.

TLC with a possible, small legitimate interest out there with two weddings one birth and one new pregnancy. Someone I work with who does not watch the show and is not interested in the Duggars commented about Jill's upcoming wedding before it aired.

If that is the case, then I imagine JB and Figure 8 and TLC are trying to keep up the interest - thus we get Josiah's courtship announcement. I sort of feel like Jill/Jessa have opened the proverbial floodgate and with Jana, John, Jinger & Joe out there of marriagble age we'll see non stop courtships, weddings and babies. (which beats packing and dental visits)

But don't all the weddings and babies start to look the same?

Archived