IGNORED

Why is Ben called Bin?

crazyforkate

Is it as in "rubbish"? I've seen it floating around on the Duggar board, but am not sure where it's from.

• 2 weeks later...

I think of it as a hilarious insult. A bin is a receptacle for trash. That is exactly what he has been doing: keeping his mind open to hate and red herring politics.

I always thought it was supposed to mean bin as in a trash bin :lol: and that's how i choose to interpret it, but I think it's actually making fun of the regional pronunciation of Ben using [ɪ].

• 1 month later...

My husband assumed, between the show's pronunciation and the references on FJ threads I've shown him, that Ben's actual given name was indeed Bin. I guess it goes to show you the reputation the Duggar clan has gotten, when someone who doesn't even follow the show isn't fazed by the possibility they have an in-law whose parents managed to misspell Benjamin as Binjamin. :lol:

I think it's just an accent thing. I watched a couple of episodes on youtube recently and they kept mentioning "Jinnifer". <---- Has anyone picked up on that before? I don't remember talking about "Jinny"... but it's just as well, given their accent and their stance towards alcohol, that they don't call her "Jen"...

It is definitely regional pronunciation. I am a Yankee who has lived in the south for 18 years. When our children were little, I had more than one of my friends ask me to help teach their child the difference in pronunciation between a short 'i' and a short 'e.' These were college educated people. :) One time an acquaintance asked me for something. I didn't know if he was asking for a 'pin' or a 'pen.' I decided since he had a piece of paper in his hand he wanted a pen--thankfully I was correct.

• 5 weeks later...
My husband assumed, between the show's pronunciation and the references on FJ threads I've shown him, that Ben's actual given name was indeed Bin. I guess it goes to show you the reputation the Duggar clan has gotten, when someone who doesn't even follow the show isn't fazed by the possibility they have an in-law whose parents managed to misspell Benjamin as Binjamin. :lol:

I get the Ben/Bin pronunciations, but I just CANNOT for the life of me understand why the minister at Bin and Jessa's wedding was calling him "Benjerman" :lol:

• 1 month later...

I cannot for the life of me hear a difference between Bin and Ben. Is it because I was raised in the South (regretfully)? I do not have an accent. We've lived away from there long enough to purge me of it. I asked my northern and California friends if I had an accent just to be sure!

Bin and Ben sound the same to me! :?

I cannot for the life of me hear a difference between Bin and Ben. Is it because I was raised in the South (regretfully)? I do not have an accent. We've lived away from there long enough to purge me of it. I asked my northern and California friends if I had an accent just to be sure!

Bin and Ben sound the same to me! :?

Which is funny, because I'm from the mid-South. All of my northern cousins say I have an accent, and yet "Ben" and "bin" are completely different words to me, and I had no idea they weren't for other people!

However, I was telling someone from Seattle the other day that I went "owl watching" and she had no idea what I was saying. Apparently other people don't pronounce owl as "al."

Which is funny, because I'm from the mid-South. All of my northern cousins say I have an accent, and yet "Ben" and "bin" are completely different words to me, and I had no idea they weren't for other people!

However, I was telling someone from Seattle the other day that I went "owl watching" and she had no idea what I was saying. Apparently other people don't pronounce owl as "al."

Southern accents are so different from region to region. It's so interesting to me! I grew up in panhandle FL but was raised by a Texan with German parents so she didn't have an accent. Now we live in AL and we go to MS and LA and there are different accents. When we lived in Charleston, SC the accents were different and then when we lived right on the VA/NC line the accents were different! I'm going to ask my friend here who is from Washington state to say Bin and Ben and see how she says it, ha!

• 1 month later...

Archived